Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,633 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:19 PM

Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg (7130 Views)

Is It Normal That I Don't Want To Get Married Or Have Kids? / 7 Names You Don't Want To Give Your Child In Nigeria / Abducted Bayelsa Ese: I'm 17 Yrs, I'm Here To Be A Muslim, Don't Want To Go Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

I kinda understand the problem of women who always make it all about patriarchy - it's quite noticeable that the high achieving women of substance in Nigeria and even in the world, hardly complain about what society might be responsible for. They navigate through all uncertainties and/or societal expectations and head straight to the top.

This is a point I can go with. Many women lack confidence in themselves and instead of changing it, they complain.

It may not be smooth sailing all through, but is it ever that easy for anyone - male or female? cheesy

It's very easy for me. cheesy
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:14pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

And laws against racism and discrimination have not been enforced in the said countries? Abeg!
They have, but are you now going to pretend you're not aware that the chasm in racial divide is much more pronounced compared to that between genders?

But they are naturally less inclined and environment has nothing to do with it, aight?
And you have taken us back to my first post.
Now that the environment is conducive in such places as the US, UK, and other regions listed by Tim, what then is stopping the women there?

The answer to your question is already in the question. grin

2 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:18pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

Crackhaus claims that there is racial discrimination even though it has been outlawed but there is no gender discrimination because it has been outlawed. cheesy

Objective reasoning, it's called.

Crackhaus, diaris God ooo. grin
Refer to my post above.

You will not be honest with yourself if you claim not to know that the racial divisions still plague those societies.

Unless you're now of the opinion that there's still gender discrimination in developed countries? Is this your point? cheesy

In fact I dare you to type it, so we can all know that Africa isn't the only place where women are still subdued. grin

2 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

They have, but are you now going to pretend you're not aware that the chasm in racial divide is much more pronounced compared to that between genders?

So if the answer is not the way you want it, I pretend? cheesy

And you have taken us back to my first post.
Now that the environment is conducive in such places as the US, UK, and other regions listed by Tim, what then is stopping the women there?

The answer to your question is already in the question. grin

My answer remains the same, it's partly nature and it's partly nurture.

And even in places where gender discrimination has been outlawed, it's the same as with racism, certain stereotypes and roles still prevail.
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:21pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

It's a man's world because there are more men in the Forbes list of wealthiest people? cheesygrin

It's MY world! Now what? cool
It's a man's world because even you with all your razzmatazz and preaching of self-love will not feel complete if you have to go to bed and wake up with no man by your side, by the time you're 35years old. gringrin

4 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:24pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

So if the answer is not the way you want it, I pretend? cheesy

My answer remains the same, it's partly nature and it's partly nurture.

And even in places where gender discrimination has been outlawed, it's the same as with racism, certain stereotypes and roles still prevail.
Is it the stereotypes that is stopping women from aspiring to become CEOs and board members, or is it the demands of such positions that discourage them?

You seem to be changing goalposts.

2 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

Refer to my post above.

You will not be honest with yourself if you claim not to know that the racial divisions still plague those societies.

I remember one poster from Britain here who claimed that there are no racial barriers in the UK. It's a matter of subjective experience and perception and thus opinion. Whether I am honest or dishonest, opinions are divided on this subject.

Unless you're now of the opinion that there's still gender discrimination in developed countries? Is this your point? cheesy

Personally, I don't feel discriminated at all in Europe. I have never seen my se.x as an obstacle. It's partly due to the way I was brought up by my father for sure but it would be a lie to say that people are no longer conditioned to perceive and accept certain gender roles. However, I am not saying that it is the result of social conditioning entirely. The fact that women bring children to this world has a natural impact too.

In fact I dare you to type it, so we can all know that Africa isn't the only place where women are still subdued. grin

Of course not but I never come across so much hostility against women as on NL.
What we also have to consider is that Nigeria is much more religious than other European countries and we all know what gender roles are prescribed by world religions. It's starts with Adam and Eve. She is the one who was created in the second place to serve him but this bitch took him out of paradise. grin
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

It's a man's world because even you with all your razzmatazz and preaching of self-love will not feel complete if you have to go to bed and wake up with no man by your side, by the time you're 35years old. gringrin

I believed this fairy tale when I was in my 20s. grincheesy

In my 30s I realized that many women - especially in this part in the world - prefer to have lose relationships with a man or men leaving before it's time for breakfast. wink

1 Like

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

Is it the stereotypes that is stopping women from aspiring to become CEOs and board members, or is it the demands of such positions that discourage them?

You seem to be changing goalposts.

It's a combination of different factors. You are too intelligent to buy one-dimensional explanations to complex human behavior and psyche, I assume.
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:32pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

This is a point I can go with. Many women lack confidence in themselves and instead of changing it, they complain.

It's very easy for me. cheesy
If it's that easy for you, then I guess you were born with a silver spoon and are on your way to becoming the CEO of your daddy's big company....assuming cheesy

However, I hope your daddy's big company is in Nigeria cos if it's in Germany, you might not even make it into the Board of Directors. gringrin

3 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

If it's that easy for you, then I guess you were born with a silver spoon and are on your way to becoming the CEO of your daddy's big company....assuming cheesy

However, I hope your daddy's big company is in Nigeria cos if it's in Germany, you might not even make it into the Board of Directors. gringrin

Is it a tactic to find out what I or my family do for a living? grin

I know you are a curious cat. wink
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by PresVA: 7:35pm On Jul 14, 2016
Raising a family hinders or slows a lot of women from reaching their desired height (when due)... especially ones so passionate about their marriage/family. .

Most women are quite selective about what jobs/occupations/positions they take up just so that their families don't suffer..
But men are a lot more flexible. .

Men can leave their families for weeks/months in pursuit of career but women rarely do this without worrying about what's going on back home embarassed

So, it's not like the women don't want to get the top; difficulty in balancing life and career makes it hard... men on the other hand have more time to spare as regards career hence we have more of them at the top...
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:35pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

I believed this fairy tale when I was in my 20s. grincheesy

In my 30s I realized that many women - especially in this part in the world - prefer to have lose relationships with a man or men leaving before it's time for breakfast. wink

Which is why they only look happy on the surface and have become strong advocates of self-love...why won't they be preaching self-love when no man is around to shower them with it. gringrin

Fairy tale ni, fish tail ko...

4 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 14, 2016
PresVA:
Raising a family hinders or slows a lot of women from reaching their desired height (when due)... especially ones so passionate about their marriage/family. .

Most women are quite selective about what jobs/occupations/positions they take up just so that their families don't suffer..

Men can leave their families for weeks/months in pursuit of career but women rarely do this without worrying about what's going on back home embarassed

TRUE!

1 Like

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

Which is why they only look happy on the surface and have become strong advocates of self-love...why won't they be preaching self-love when no man is around to shower them with it. gringrin

Fairy tale ni, fish tail ko...

Yeah, and that's why most divorces are initiated by women ... because they are scared of loneliness. grin
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jul 14, 2016
PresVA:

So, it's not like the women don't want to get the top; difficulty in balancing life and career makes it hard... men on the other hand have more time to spare as regards career hence we have more of them at the top...

Well, it also hinders and slows men's careers too, though, it could be a catalyst for career advancement as he'll work harder. Furthermore, the difference between husbands and wives in the work force is needs versus wants. Most men because they need to, most women work because they want to. Yes, there are women who work out of need but only because their husbands cannot afford them a decent lifestyle or that lifestyle they desire.

If a woman works not because of need but desire, it would make sense to take a less-demanding job. It is the height of vanity for a woman to work a job that deprives her quality home time just because she "went to school". Did you go to school to slave at a job brainlessly or to increase your opportunity for better living?

There's a reason why married men are the most dependable employees. Most men work jobs they hate because the alternative is a drop in living standards and even hunger.

That women have to sacrifice their dreams to run their homes is not oppression, or discrimination or man's-worldism. It is common sense and pragmatism. The dreams of billions of men died the day they had families. It cuts both ways. Unless a man is unhappy in his home and marriage, I doubt he would choose having a job that takes him away from home and one that affords him quality time with family.

The difference in how men handle their roles in life and how women handle theirs is acceptance of fate. We have resigned ourselves to our provisioning role. That is what we do. You, women need to accept yours. As my posts on Page1 illustrate, women in Sweden do the barest minimum when the basics are covered. Na so life be. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 8:00pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

I remember one poster from Britain here who claimed that there are no racial barriers in the UK. It's a matter of subjective experience and perception and thus opinion. Whether I am honest or dishonest, opinions are divided on this subject.
Racial discrimination isn't as pronounced in the UK when compared to other European countries and the US...but it's there on an institutional level.

Personally, I don't feel discriminated at all in Europe. I have never seen my se.x as an obstacle. It's partly due to the way I was brought up by my father for sure but it would be a lie to say that people are no longer conditioned to perceive and accept certain gender roles. However, I am not saying that it is the result of social conditioning entirely. The fact that women bring children to this world has a natural impact too.
Are you going to tell me that you can visit every single city in Germany and not find one where you won't feel some racial discrimination?

Don't lie oo.. gringrin

Of course not but I never come across so much hostility against women as on NL.
What we also have to consider is that Nigeria is much more religious than other European countries and we all know what gender roles are prescribed by world religions. It's starts with Adam and Eve. She is the one who was created in the second place to serve him but this bitch took him out of paradise. grin
Lol, you're not being honest.

How many other forums do you actively visit?
What you call hostility against women on NL is just people speaking their minds but unfortunately, some Nigerian girls/women have developed this princess mentality that makes them feel it's their right to be respected by anonymous men for doing absolutely nothing to earn it. cheesy

It's all fun and games till you people start to take it personal due to your fragile feelings..and besides, it's the internet.

Nigerian dudes love Nigerian women...some might have just finished making love to two, and then went online to become 'hostile' to women as you put it. grin

2 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 8:06pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

Is it a tactic to find out what I or my family do for a living? grin

I know you are a curious cat. wink

No tactics, that post was tongue-in-cheek.

Obviously, you're not the CEO of any company neither are you a billionaire...so I guess it's not so easy afterall. tongue gringrin
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

Racial discrimination isn't as pronounced in the UK compared to some European countries and the US...but it's there.

It's not as pronounced and yet Blacks are underrepresented in different fields in these countries, what stops them? After all racial discrimination has been outlawed just like gender discrimination.

Anyway dear, you got the point, I am sure. I don't want to dig further into it because it's an ugly topic if one argues that a certain group of people is naturally less inclined to be successful and wealthy.

Are you going to tell me that you can visit every single city in Germany and not find one where you won't feel some racial discrimination?

Don't lie oo.. gringrin

I can visit any city in Europe, be it Berlin, Athens, Madrid or Prague and people will think I am fabulous. cheesy

Lol, you're not being honest.

How many other forums do you actively visit?
What you call hostility against women on NL is just people speaking their minds but unfortunately, some Nigerian girls/women have developed this princess mentality that makes them feel it's their right to be respected by men for doing absolutely nothing to earn it. cheesy

It's how you choose to see it.

It's all fun and games till you people start to take it personal due to your fragile feelings..and besides it's the internet.

I have seen many men hyperventilate here too. grin

Nigerian dudes love Nigerian women...some might have just finished making love to two, and then went online to become 'hostile' to women as you put it. grin

So you have to be gay to treat women in an unfair and degrading way?
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

No tactics, that post was tongue-in-cheek.

Obviously, you're not the CEO of any company neither are you a billionaire...so I guess it's not so easy afterall. tongue gringrin

Who knows? grin kiss
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 8:21pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

Yeah, and that's why most divorces are initiated by women ... because they are scared of loneliness. grin
Because they know they will get spousal support and will finally start fvcking another man, daz why.

At the end of the day, there will always be a man in the equation for you lots, whether he is being subtracted via divorce or being added via dating anew. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

Because they know they will get spousal support and will finally start fvcking another man, daz why.

So women do not end up lonely and sad after all even when they divorce in their 30s and even more frequently in their 40s? cheesy

At the end of the day, there will always be a man in the equation for you lots, whether he is being subtracted via divorce or being added via dating anew. cheesy

So all the 'be careful you don't end up bitter and lonely once you turn 35 because nobody will want you' was a lie? gringrin
Now there will always be a man?

And to think that we started getting used to the scenario. All for nothing. angry grin
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 8:37pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

It's not as pronounced and yet Blacks are underrepresented in different fields in these countries, what stops them? After all racial discrimination has been outlawed just like gender discrimination.

Anyway dear, you got the point, I am sure. I don't want to dig further into it because it's an ugly topic if one argues that a certain group of people is naturally less inclined to be successful and wealthy.
It's not as sexist as you make it sound.

I'm sure you also got my point too, so we squared.

I can visit any city in Europe, be it Berlin, Athens, Madrid or Prague and people will think I am fabulous. cheesy
Is anyone else surprised she just mentioned cities that have a substantial population of immigrants? cheesy

Let's not go too far...
I said in your own Germany, can you confidently visit every single city and not feel racial discrimination in some? grin

It's how you choose to see it.
You will be surprised at how many people on NL share that same opinion.

I have seen many men hyperventilate here too. grin
Yea, and then we get over it.

However, you and Sam.barry seem to be the only females in this section that can take a hit today and get over it by the next day. gringrin

So you have to be gay to treat women in an unfair and degrading way?
No, not my point - my point was, it isn't as bad as you paint it.
Your so-called hostility against women hasn't stopped guys from speaking beautiful nothings into the ears of the random women they meet face to face daily. wink

And when you say "treat women in an unfair and degrading way," that's exactly what I mean by the princess mentality. cheesy

You come on the internet and expect everyone to treat you nice?
Because you are who and what? gringrin

4 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 8:41pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

Who knows? grin kiss
Only one thing I want to know.

Are you Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, or any one of the other numerous ethnicities?
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 8:49pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

So women do not end up lonely and sad after all even when they divorce in their 30s and even more frequently in their 40s? cheesy

So all the 'be careful you don't end up bitter and lonely once you turn 35 because nobody will want you' was a lie? gringrin
Now there will always be a man?

And to think that we started getting used to the scenario. All for nothing. angry grin

Lol, nor be if dem see man wey go marry their old azzes by the time they're 40? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

It's not as sexist as you make it sound.

I'm sure you also got my point too, so we squared.

I did.

Is anyone else surprised she just mentioned cities that have a substantial population of immigrants? cheesy

Let's not go too far...
I said in your own Germany, can you confidently visit every single city and not feel racial discrimination in some? grin

Can I visit all cities in Nigeria without facing 'racial discrimination' as someone who looks different?

You will be surprised at how many people on NL share that same opinion.

Trust, I won't. cheesy

Yea, and then we get over it.

Well, .... no!

Getting over it would me approaching a poster without any past baggage and we both know that this NOT what people - men and women - do here.
People attack people here on personal levels all the time. They wouldn't if they got over it.

However, you and Sam.barry seem to be the only females in this section that can take a hit today and get over it by the next day. gringrin

No comment. lipsrsealed

No, not my point - my point was, it isn't as bad as you paint it.
Your so-called hostility against women hasn't stopped guys from speaking beautiful nothings into the ears of the random women they meet face to face daily. wink

Of course not and for altruistic reasons. wink

And when you say "treat women in an unfair and degrading way," that's exactly what I mean by the princess mentality. cheesy

Good to know but I am past the age of princes and princesses. cheesy

You come on the internet and expect everyone to treat you nice?
Because you are who and what? gringrin

I expect anything here.
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 14, 2016
crackhaus:

Lol, nor be if dem see man wey go marry their old azzes by the time they're 40? cheesy

What a tragedy! cry smiley
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 9:10pm On Jul 14, 2016
Mindfulness:

I did.

Can I visit all cities in Nigeria without facing 'racial discrimination' as someone who looks different?
You're kidding right? Racial discrimination in Nigeria? cheesy

You've still not answered the question though.

Trust, I won't. cheesy

Well, .... no!

Getting over it would me approaching a poster without any past baggage and we both know that this NOT what people - men and women - do here.
People attack people here on personal levels all the time. They wouldn't if they got over it.

No comment. lipsrsealed

Of course not and for altruistic reasons. wink

Good to know but I am past the age of princes and princesses. cheesy

I expect anything here.
Seen cool
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 7:40am On Jul 15, 2016
crackhaus:

You're kidding right? Racial discrimination in Nigeria? cheesy

You've still not answered the question though.

Seen cool

I have and I got the point you were making. wink
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

I have and I got the point you were making. wink
Yes you have...in your usual coy tail-tucked-between-legs kinda way. cheesy

I was however hoping for an outright admission, on the off-chance that you'll be bold enough for once to give an answer which discredits your initial stance. grin
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
crackhaus:

Yes you have...in your usual coy tail-tucked-between-legs kinda way. cheesy

I was however hoping for an outright admission, on the off-chance that you'll be bold enough for once to give an answer which discredits your initial stance. grin

My initial stance was comprehensive and logical and I stand by it. wink

You are a dreamer. cheesy
Re: Women Aren't Getting The Promotion Because They Don't Want It - Bloomberg by crackhaus: 7:42pm On Jul 17, 2016
Mindfulness:

My initial stance was comprehensive and logical and I stand by it. wink

You are a dreamer. cheesy
You're certifiable. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Can I Confront My Annoying Mum- In-law / Will Conception Be Possible Without Women In Any Way? / Who Remembers Belinda Song(1984) By Hardy Harrell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.