Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:57 AM

Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia - Foreign Affairs (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia (59505 Views)

Military Coup In Zimbabwe: Zim Army Announcer "It Has Moved To Another Level" / Photos Of People Against The Coup In Turkey / Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Oladat(m): 11:15am On Jul 16, 2016
chidozieikeji2:
boy ipob burnt lorries when the military started shooting at innocent protesters how do u expect pple to be peaceful wen u shoot at dem
Dangote and his lorry drivers must be very heartless!Why were they shooting at innocent ipob(s) engaging in a 'peaceful' protest?Lols.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 11:26am On Jul 16, 2016
OohLalah:

Your only bone of contention is that I mentioned Islamic extremism as a risk to the world,among other risks but in this particular topic we are talking about Islamic conflicts.

As a Muslim who will NEVER change my religion, I have issues with the idea that the average Muslim just want to go out and kill people
It is a disservice to the peaceful majority, I will stand up for Islam
There are millions of Muslims in Nigeria and we have seen places where they have never had any issues with anyone. How do those feel when they are judged by the murderous tendencies of the mad ones - Boko Haram and ISIS - who deserve to be called human beings
But I will also stand up for the right of others to live peacefully
No one who has a conscience will not be moved to tears by the senseless and thoroughly insane act of that guy in Nice yesterday
How can you run a truck into children? How? Why on earth? children! innocent beings who don't care about race and religion?
I would have preferred that the guy be caught alive and then made to regret being born
He got away too easily - just a bullet which he did not mind!

OohLalah:

South Africa by the way has the biggest controversial allies ( as per the West) in Africa than any other African country. Palestine, Iran, Libya, Algeria, Cuba, Russia, China to mention a few. We are not easily influenced by media propaganda and know our history very well hence our stance on international politics.

I have no issues with the company that South Africa keeps

OohLalah:

Btw, Mandela was a " terrorist" according to the definition and labels of the West. We are not ashamed but proud of being called "terrorists" if that's what it takes to fight injustice for the betterment of our country and its people, black, white or grey.

That is the hypocrisy
And one thing that gets me angry - Mandela fought oppression the same way the Americans who fought for independence from Britain did
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 11:32am On Jul 16, 2016
chidozieikeji2:
who told u that u can change it with ur vote if not for jonas cowardice u think such will ever happen anyway let's watch and see how u will change our oga who have inflicted hunger on the masses in 2019

For the record, Nigeria's problems have been caused by reliance on selling raw materials, and refusal to manufacture or produce the things that we make.

The thing is....we must get off our reliance on oil, and become a self reliant country. That is what this APC government must be judged on....

And by the way, we overthrew democratic rule in 1966....and ended with a civil war. We overthrew democratic rule in 1983...and ended with worse economic situation, and then SAP.

My beef with our leaders....PDP or APC is that they refuse to face the fact that our resource dependency is what is causing our hunger. We need to make the sacrifices needed to become a strong and self sufficient nation. And we should be mature enough to do it via the democratic process.

Army rule won't change Nigeria. Freedom from oil dependency will change Nigeria. Truth.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by chidozieikeji2: 11:32am On Jul 16, 2016
BetaThings:

I have not really been involved in a protest that confronts the Army before
Honestly, I really don't know
But I would like to win the battle of the bullets and the battle of the minds
How would people in the North react to the burning of Dangote trucks when they were shot by Nigerian Army?
They are not likely to see IPOB v NA, but IPOB v North

So I believe that this is a damaging point against IPOB
how do u expect the southeast to view an army formation made up of. Mostly northeners shooting at them when they were protesting peacefuly u expect them to view it as nigerian affair a strong damaging point against the north
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by chidozieikeji2: 11:35am On Jul 16, 2016
BetaThings:

Let us base the analysis on facts

The attackers in the US were mostly brought up in America
The Syrian issue cannot be exploited the same way the Iraqi matter can
America started the problem in Iraq and a journalist threw shoes at Bush to demonstrate how the Iraqis understood the problem
America dd not start the war in Syria
Why should most refugees (grateful for the opportunity for another life) bring insecurity and possible deportation to themselves by supporting terror

Go and study the methods of ISIS and its history today - it is in decline and there will be attacks like the ones in Nice similar to the actions of a snake with its head severed

So we should just believe that Americans are so stupid
I see enough propaganda even in Nigeria. Did you believe that the guy that was murdered in Italy was fleeing Boko Haram?
Was that not what was reported in the press?
I don't need to get an analysis that is not up to scratch into my head
I can read English - I am better of reading more enlightened materials and authoritative commentaries
I for say why ur analysis was not scientific at all because u suppose to bring in the psychological process in analysing issues like dis
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by pamcode(m): 11:42am On Jul 16, 2016
shamecurls:
Turkey will now become expensive in Nigeria

I just hope it wont affect the price of Chicken and fish
My broda even ankara too what do they want owambe + Aso-ebi lovers like us to do.
*weeps profusely *
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 16, 2016
chidozieikeji2:
who told u that u can change it with ur vote if not for jonas cowardice u think such will ever happen anyway let's watch and see how u will change our oga who have inflicted hunger on the masses in 2019

One more thing....

Buhari ran for president in 2003, 2007 and 2011...and lost every time.

He succeed on the fourth try.

Why am I saying this?

Democracy is hard work. GEJ was not a coward. No sir. (I am not his fan, by the way). It is just that he lost to someone who had lost elections more times than he did, and in the process learned from each failures....and wanted it harder

The reason why Buhari would win in 2019 is not because of The Hausas.....but because the opposition will not do what Buhari did. Make alliances with people you do not like (eg Tinubu and Saraki and company), have supporters in every part of the country, and work hard. They will be split up into bickering factions.

I don't want to see APC rule Nigeria forever. I like a healthy democracy. But we won't get there by sitting down and grumbling about how bad things are. There are a lot of better people out there than PMB who could have done a better job than he did. The reason why they are not ruling the county is because they sat down and lazed around, and grumbled about how corrupt things are while PMB went out, risked losing three times, risked having his embarrassing comments dissected, including the Sharia stuff...and won.

In other words...PMB was not afraid to fail. Are you too afraid of failure?

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by BetaThings: 11:48am On Jul 16, 2016
chidozieikeji2:
how do u expect the southeast to view an army formation made up of. Mostly northeners shooting at them when they were protesting peacefuly u expect them to view it as nigerian affair a strong damaging point against the north

IPOB attacked dangote trucks - fact, easy to prove
Nigerian Army composed mostly of other tribe soldiers - difficult to prove and even plead as a defence
Igbo soldiers will eventually obey the order of their commanders when they confront IPOB youths
Otherwise, they will pay with their own lives

But what do you expect?
You think when Ihejirika as Chief of Army Staff was fighting Boko Haram, he took Kanuri soldiers there?
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by quickly: 11:56am On Jul 16, 2016
deliveryboy:
. Hello sir, your observations are not correct, the terrorists in France were French and Belgian citizens. Please verify your facts before you make it public. If you did this in your workplace it could get you in big trouble with your manager.

Those ppl are arabs with French nationality. Most of them were fighting in syria prior to going to france..so stop trying to pretend that this has nothing to do with syria.

Even Putin accuses Turkey of been a syrian supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rnkPhBHiY
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 11:59am On Jul 16, 2016
jornie:

Bruh we don't need military rule... Who says the military is also not corrupt,selfish and incompetent.. Don't be mislead.. Nigeria has being led for more years by the military than civilians...and the result is appauling,go check your history books or use Wikipedia .. We are doing great with democracy.. Like it or not,we are progressing gradually.

We are not.

We are going in circles.

Check all the coup speeches since 1966, they have occurred because of the same problems we are still battling today.

Check all the campaign speeches & manifestoes, they have been about solving the same problems we've been facing since 1966.

2 Likes

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by chidozieikeji2: 12:17pm On Jul 16, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

One more thing....

Buhari ran for president in 2003, 2007 and 2011...and lost every time.

He succeed on the fourth try.

Why am I saying this?

Democracy is hard work. GEJ was not a coward. No sir. (I am not his fan, by the way). It is just that he lost to someone who had lost elections more times than he did, and in the process learned from each failures....and wanted it harder

The reason why Buhari would win in 2019 is not because of The Hausas.....but because the opposition will not do what Buhari did. Make alliances with people you do not like (eg Tinubu and Saraki and company), have supporters in every part of the country, and work hard. They will be split up into bickering factions.

I don't want to see APC rule Nigeria forever. I like a healthy democracy. But we won't get there by sitting down and grumbling about how bad things are. There are a lot of better people out there than PMB who could have done a better job than he did. The reason why they are not ruling the county is because they sat down and lazed around, and grumbled about how corrupt things are while PMB went out, risked losing three times, risked having his embarrassing comments dissected, including the Sharia stuff...and won.

In other words...PMB was not afraid to fail. Are you too afraid of failure?
jona is a coward ask me why dia was wide spread iregularities in that election which was enough evidence to concel the election we saw inec allow children to vote in the north taraba precisely and d video clip was dia we saw a lot of doctored results declared surpassed no of registered voters eg kano result, we also saw inec refusing to give pple dia pvc eg am a good example and a thousand odas dia was mass disenfranchisement of voters in the south but in the north even beggers got their voters card and who is the architect of the whole show no other person than attahiru jega
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 12:19pm On Jul 16, 2016
DonBobes:

I dnt get u missy, is it dt d coup was successful or wat?

Spectacular failure.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jul 16, 2016
quickly:

Those ppl are arabs with French nationality. Most of them were fighting in syria prior to going to france..so stop trying to pretend that this has nothing to do with syria.

Even Putin accuses Turkey of been a syrian supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0rnkPhBHiY

So if a European citizen goes to Nigeria to support Boko Haram and comes back to continue his terror on European soil, we should assume that all Nigerians are terrorists?

It's actually Putin who supports Baschar al-Assad but Assad and his government are not Syria.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Amoto94(m): 12:27pm On Jul 16, 2016
OohLalah:

Sir, i never labelled them as terrorist but extremists. Whether this sits well with you or not, it's Muslims that gets influenced and act on Jihadist calls not Jews etc. Also get this well, violence and conflicts are not only restricted to Muslim extremism only but we are talking about Islamic extremism right now.
Saying that Jews and Christians don't act on Jihad calls is false and history has proven this times without number. During the British rule in Palestine the Jews were instructed to attack British targets based on teaching from Jewish scriptures. Similarly, The Lord Resistance Army were composed of Christians and used the Bible as a proof. I can list other cases but this will suffice for the time being. As for Muslims that engage in indiscriminate killings they're referred to as khawarij and are to be fought by a united Muslim army under the command of a ruler.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by ValerianSteel(m): 12:33pm On Jul 16, 2016
Turkish leaders failed to strategize well enough.The coup was executed too fast.Even though more than half of the country would want to return back to secularism,they definitely don't trust the military to do any better cause they don't have a trusted military chief to rally behind.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by quickly: 1:21pm On Jul 16, 2016
Mindfulness:

So if a European citizen goes to Nigeria to support Boko Haram and comes back to continue his terror on European soil, we should assume that all Nigerians are terrorists?

It's actually Putin who supports Baschar al-Assad but Assad and his government are not Syria.

SO are u saying that ISIS fighters has no syrians? ISIS HQ is in syria and it most have majority syrians.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by quickly: 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2016
Amoto94:
Saying that Jews and Christians don't act on Jihad calls is false and history has proven this times without number. During the British rule in Palestine the Jews were instructed to attack British targets based on teaching from Jewish scriptures. Similarly, The Lord Resistance Army were composed of Christians and used the Bible as a proof. I can list other cases but this will suffice for the time being. As for Muslims that engage in indiscriminate killings they're referred to as khawarij and are to be fought by a united Muslim army under the command of a ruler.

In the past islam was spread by killing dominating and raping women but that cannot happen in a world of social media facebook and people are aware of what is happening.

Islam in Nigeria was spread by two main jihadists

Elkanemi
and Usman Dan fodio

and they are no different from

Abubakar Shekau

and i can guarantee blood was shed.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by NairaMinted: 1:29pm On Jul 16, 2016
Oladat:
Look how stupid you are made to look now!The turkish people are wiser than you are(they know that the worst form of democracy is better than the best form of millitary regime).That is why they put aside their partisanship to chase away those impostors camouflaging as the saviours of the people.

I must admit, my assessment of the situation was premature. Erdogan although unpopular in some quarters enjoyed considerable support from some of his citizens and perhaps with some of them recounting their experience with past military regimes, were not going to put up with another.

Erdogan lives to fight another day. The seeds of discord however have been sown and Erdogan in his country's best interest has to scale back from his excesses lest his country plunge into the same type of situation that his actions in Syria has contributed to.

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 1:32pm On Jul 16, 2016
NairaMinted:

I must admit, my assessment of the situation was premature. Erdogan although unpopular in some quarters enjoyed considerable support from some of his citizens and perhaps with some of them recounting their experience with past military regimes, were not going to put up with another.

Erdogan lives to fight another day. The seeds of discord however have been sown and Erdogan in his country's best interest has to scale back from his excesses lest his country plunge into the same type of situation that his actions in Syria has contributed to.

grin

Smh

1 Like

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by natedalo: 1:45pm On Jul 16, 2016
BetaThings:

CIA intelligence often fails spectacularly
They did not know that India and Pakistan were going to conduct nuclear tests within weeks of each other
They have largely misunderstood Putin's intention

Infact they have often been wrong in predicting what Putin will do next

Nigerians are blabbers and will let out anything to any foreigner and we are divided enough for a Southerner (Northerner) to imagine that such information might help topple a government headed by Northerner(Southerner)
So you can get a lot of information easily about stuff in Nigeria
I think the US actually knew india had conducted their first nuclear test in the 70s.

I wouldn't expect them to know much about russia since russia is quite experienced in the game of intelligence and counter intelligence. Its not as if they read minds.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 1:45pm On Jul 16, 2016
Interesting perspective from conspiracy theorists.

When coup appears to be working : The globalist are being defeated

When coup was failing : Erdogan created the false flag coup to grab more power

Twitter universe is crazy

3 Likes

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by jornie(m): 1:53pm On Jul 16, 2016
9jacrip:

We are not.

We are going in circles.

Check all the coup speeches since 1966, they have occurred because of the same problems we are still battling today.

Check all the campaign speeches & manifestoes, they have been about solving the same problems we've been facing since 1966.

And what did the military achieve after the coup?
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by GuyFawkes: 2:30pm On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

I swear grin cheesy
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nobody: 2:39pm On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

Sometimes when the coup is working.....the CIA did it.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Underground: 3:00pm On Jul 16, 2016
Turkey: Let's put it this way...

If it was a real coup, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

If Erdogan is so desperately clinging to power that he needs to stage a "fake" coup against himself, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

If the US is trying to strong-arm Erdogan back toward his suicide mission, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

If the US has decided to liquidate their man in Ankara, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 3:12pm On Jul 16, 2016
Underground:
Turkey: Let's put it this way...

If it was a real coup, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

If Erdogan is so desperately clinging to power that he needs to stage a "fake" coup against himself, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

If the US is trying to strong-arm Erdogan back toward his suicide mission, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

If the US has decided to liquidate their man in Ankara, Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

Turkey is in real trouble and is falling apart.

Your analysis is in real trouble and falling apart

2 Likes

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Underground: 3:21pm On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

Your analysis is in real trouble and falling apart

Lol! Why is that? What's yours?
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 3:23pm On Jul 16, 2016
Underground:

Lol! Why is that? What's yours?

I was just trolling you tongue
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Underground: 3:29pm On Jul 16, 2016
Missy89:

I was just trolling you tongue

I see. Shitty plot by the plotters though. Didn't they realize that this isn't the 80s or 90s where you focus on the TV and radio stations alone whilst forgetting that this magical thing called the Internet and social media exists? First things first: media blackout and then you round up key figures in government. These lads were just shooting upandan hoping people would be scared into submission

2 Likes

Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Missy89(f): 3:36pm On Jul 16, 2016
Underground:

I see. Shitty plot by the plotters though. Didn't they realize that this isn't the 80s or 90s where you focus on the TV and radio stations alone whilst forgetting that the magical thing called the Internet and social media exists? First thing first: blackout then you round up key figures in government. These lads were just shooting upandan hoping people would be scared into submission

The irony thou. Erdogan was not a fan of social media dissent.
Re: Possible Coup In Turkey, Military Locks Down Bridges That Connect Europe & Asia by Nickymezor(f): 3:51pm On Jul 16, 2016
pamcode:
My broda even ankara too what do they want owambe + Aso-ebi lovers like us to do.
*weeps profusely *
Lolz...

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Obama Meets His Extended Family Including Step Grandmother In Kenya / Bombs Hit Syria's Ghouta. Many Dead (Graphics Photos) / Pictures Of Destructions Made In Kyiv As Russia Invade Ukraine's Capital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.