Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,198 members, 7,818,657 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:04 PM

Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics (30689 Views)

JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education / Top 10 Most Competitive Courses In Nigeria Universities / Six Things To Note As Jamb Commence Sales Of Form 2017 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by anytaij: 7:56am On Jul 16, 2016
Thanks emeko.
Emeka71:
Many happy returns dear.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by jojothaiv(m): 7:58am On Jul 16, 2016
habby51:

See u, Op is a polytechnic graduate. Truth 2 be told, does are the facts. Our polytechnics needs 2 be reformed.
The Universities need a revival too, the question is after the degree....
What can you offer life?
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by glossy6(f): 7:59am On Jul 16, 2016
Agreed that those of us that attended poly was not by choice but we utilized every opportunity and read well.
Sorting can done both in Uni or Poly, it is an individual thing and this sorting of a thing is a recent development in the educational sector (I may be wrong because I am not involved ).

I and most of my course mates passed each stage of ICAN at first attempts and qualified in 2 diets. Today we hold the prestigious title of FCA in addition to our HND as well as other educational qualifications. Most of us also have good job.

Although, I passed through poly unscathed, none of my kids will go to poly, not because they are not good enough but because of the descriminations against HND holders here and there.

It is better we face life squarely than this endless arguments about BSc/HND. The other day, it was 3rd Class BSc vs HND Distinction. Haba!

Hit the labour market with whatever you have and prove yourself there and not in Seun's nairaland.

5 Likes

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by jojothaiv(m): 8:00am On Jul 16, 2016
Some words are better left unsaid!
Happy weekend!
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by banmee(m): 8:02am On Jul 16, 2016
marshborn:

Oga stop deceiving yourself, most poly students write jamb tire as university no gree admit them na him dem manage poly.

Did you read my comment at all? Don't tell me you could not understand it. Let me guess, you are a graduate.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Nobody: 8:08am On Jul 16, 2016
I have passed through both. Here is my view...

- Universities have more ageing sit tight profs, superior academically, true, but mostly relying on their old notes formulated in the 1970s for teaching. Most do not update themselves, nor do they like to give chances to a new crop of lecturers to take their places. Many of their recommended textbooks are outdated. A large number of University lecturers are barely able to browse the internet. Some courses are exempted though, by necessity eg Medicine and Surgery where updating of knowledge is mandated, but this is not applicable because Medicine and Surgery is not part of a Polytechnic's curriculum. Henceforth, I will only refer to courses that are taught in both schools.

- The quality of practical teachings are better in Polytechnics than in the Universities. Also, the mandatory IT period during the OND program, and before commencement of the HND program also better equip a Polytechnic student for real life jobs, if well utilised.

- Conversely, the depth and extent of theoretical teachings and research methods tend to be better in the Universities, where the lecturer bothers to bring his content up to date. I would like to point out however, that most of this theory based knowledge is not overly useful in real life employment, and most graduates from tertiary institutions probably forget all that they have been taught once they leave school anyway, so this advantage generally tends to be of a dubious nature, unless one is planning on a career in academics.

- University students tend to be more eloquent, and better read. This is because they are told to read a lot of recommended textbooks. Polytechnic students rely less on textbooks; short and simplified lecturer handouts (sometimes downloaded directly online and printed out) are the norm.

- University students, and subsequently, graduates, tend to be generally more serious than Polytechnic students or graduates. This is due to the extra academic rigours encountered in gaining admission to, and passing through, the University, as compared to that of the Polytechnic.

Personally, in certain fields, like Engineering, Agriculture, and Financial studies areas, I would prefer a Polytechnic graduate over a University graduate, believing that he/she would have more up to date practical knowledge and extensive industry experience. They also tend to be more adaptable. A professional qualification would definitely clinch the deal.

If I had an academic institution, and needed teachers or lecturers, I would employ University graduates all the way.

6 Likes

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:09am On Jul 16, 2016
moscobabs:
U never make any sense op

No 1...u only gave university curriculum but what's Polytechnic curriculum?

and you are comparing what you can't define.

No 2....Structure?
How many polytechnics have u visited?
hope u r not comparing Poly Ibadan structure with that of AAU or OOU abi they are not universities?

No 3...Courses?

So only Law,Medicine and Arch are top of courses in the country What happen to Accounting , Engineering courses and others? Is there any Professional body tougher than ICAN in Nigeria? OK me the % of University graduates that passed ICAN in one seat

No 4...Mode of Dressing ? what is have to do with the topic sef ...but op how many polytechnics u don visit o?

No 5... Academics staff.- This is the only good point u made in your topic but I remember my Rector in Ibadan Poly was Prof. Alabi deputized by Alh Balogun FCA in 2002/03

op...go and look for job with your university certificate!!!
my Oga, Tell This Op To Tour AP.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by olabs201(m): 8:13am On Jul 16, 2016
Nah which one dangote attended.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by kukandaka: 8:14am On Jul 16, 2016
Well! I am a polytechnic graduate and always proud because the knowledge acquired earned me a lot through practical experience that I have which put in place of self reliance. A good polytechnic graduate don't wait for the govt job like uni graduate who wait for 10yrs to have a govt job! Proudly Kadpolite!
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Damfostopper(m): 8:16am On Jul 16, 2016
Op.... Zero Bleep given....... Am a proud polytechnic student... I dnt fucken need this.... So whatever

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:
BIG LIE.....no matter what is listed here we all know Polytechnics are above Universities in all ratification....Even university graduates and student know so too

UP Polytechnics!!!

So proud to have passed through one
Why u dey deceive ursef
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Mamode14(m): 8:20am On Jul 16, 2016
people be discriminating poly up and down please lets be sincere and accept the truth...not all universities are better than poly that's just it
i stand to be corrected
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 8:21am On Jul 16, 2016
The one that makes me laugh in all the comments is the person talking about Auchi poly as if Auchi poly is the best in Nigeria. Mr Auchi poly, don't brag about your school again, if you brag about your school again. I will finish you and your school.
Back to the topic. My own take on this is, just improve on yourself and forget about paper qualifications.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by morule20(m): 8:23am On Jul 16, 2016
With all dis ur qualities, the so called Nigeria uni are not listed in d 1000 best uni in d world. We need to work on our standard in general when it comes to education.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Nobody: 8:25am On Jul 16, 2016
Aside govt adding to our prblm, we self add to it.
Most polytechnic students are not proud of dia sch, if many are ask dey claimed university. I met a lady@lagos sum years back during my IT, she also was a student. On getting 2 knw her, I asked her wia she was schooling and she said UNILORIN.
It was later I got 2 knw is a student of FEDPOLY Offa.
Mind u, FEDPOLY Offa is one of the best polytechnics we av in dis country.
I was wondering Y she's lying.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by kodine: 8:27am On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:
BIG LIE.....no matter what is listed here we all know Polytechnics are above Universities in all ratification....Even university graduates and student know so too

UP Polytechnics!!!

madam..I hv my ND, HND and bsc....d difference is there madam.
In uni....just attent a university..u will.see the difference.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Klington: 8:27am On Jul 16, 2016
ur points are not convincing...
its Nigerian govt that created room 4 this irrelevant disparities between uni n poly..
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:31am On Jul 16, 2016
Op You're Wrong. When It Come To Structure, Take A Tour Of Auchi Poly, It's Far Better Than Aau, ATB And A Host Of Others. Architecture Is A Common Programme In Auchi Poly And Others. HND And Bsc Holders Are Not Allow To Lecture A Course But Practical. There Are A Lot Of Phd Holders In Auchi Poly But No Profs. Code Of Dressing Is A Common Thing In Auchi Poly. When It Come To Output, Auchi Is Far Ahead. I'm A Serving Corp Member I Have See A Lot Of University Graduates That Are Not Qualified To Be In The Secondary Schools. Before You Talk About Grantification (Blocking), Take A Tour Of Aau, Uniben, Kogi State University. I Rest My Case Here.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by collarfreak(m): 8:32am On Jul 16, 2016
Aregbesola poly ibadan
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by DeRay98(m): 8:35am On Jul 16, 2016
University and Polytechnic were not meant to be compared when they were established, they were originally meant to train skilled manpower for different levels and areas of skill applications. Even in same fields like Engineering, they were meant to trained operate from different positions. The confusion and issues arising are the products of wrong leaders in Education ministries and similar govt agencies over the years. It's comparing husband and wife, father and mother....who is better? Their roles are complementary. This useless fight has destroyed the role of polys, whose primary role was to train hands-on technical and technical manpower. Now, they have abandoned that role. The result is that our country has lack of properly trained, electricians, mechanics, tailors, bricklayers, plumbers etc. Polys were supposed to give specilized training to technical college graduands.
We inherited this system from Britain and it still works there but our own has scattered.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by nwadiuko1(m): 8:37am On Jul 16, 2016
habby51:
Dis are the factors that makes Universities rated than Polytechnics;

1. CURRICULUM: University education in Nigeria, like in other developing countries, is to produce graduates grounded in generic skill and, quality education for the nation's economic development. University curriculum therefore, reflect research about what works, as opposed to what is popular today or tomorrow. This
implies that the curriculum content enable students to attain the
society's expectations, and perhaps most importantly, their needs.

2. STRUCTURES: Most Nigerian Universities have outstanding structures and academic environment more than that of Polytechnic. Most of Polytechnics structures are not up to standard, even most of the buildings in some polytechnics are of old structures.

3. COURSES: Universities run more courses than Polytechnics. Most top professional courses are studied at university level e.g Medicine, Law, Architecture, etc. Though we have Legal studies in replacement of law, SLT in replacement of medicine in Polytechnics, and Architect. But are not well recognise.

4. MODE OF DRESSING: Corporate dressing can be seen in most Nigerian Universities, especially the so called private Universities. Also most of courses run by university has there code of dressing e.g Medicine, Engineering, and Law.

5. ACADEMIC PERFORMERS: Most outstanding students can be seen at Universities, compared to Polytechnics. Most of the Universities are more strict. You hardly bribe lecturers cause many are Professors so, is what u write that you get in most cases. Unlike polytechnics where you easy bribe lecturers to have distinction or upper credit.

j
6. ACADEMIC STAFFS: Least you can see in Universities as a lecturer is a Doctor (Ph .D). A masters holding can only be of an assistant. Most Seniors lecturers are Professors. While the highest you can get in a polytechnics is a Doctor ( Rector), others are MSc, B. sc or HND holder

these are very shallow points bro.......apart from curriculum.........every other point here is just a joke.......most rectors of polytechnics are professors....

..mode of dressing depends on the individuals, courses and school involved,

academic performance: I have a friend who is an accounting student in okopoly.....most of our friends studying the same course at uniport can't even see his back, he teaches them,

structure wise some federal polytechnics have better structures than some state and even some of the so called federal universities......an example is also okopoly, the structures in that school are near world class.........you write your exams via CBT and get your semester results almost immediately....to the best of my knowledge no Nigerian university has achieved that yet ( I stand to be corrected)

and apart from the corruption in Nigeria, I would rather study courses like engineering(any) architecture, in a polytechnic...

finally a polytechnic is a polytechnic and a university is a university,,,,,,,,,they have similarities and differences

2 Likes

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Soleymania(m): 8:41am On Jul 16, 2016
Common, we need to stop this... Do u carry certificate or SABIFICATE? We are in the era of what "can u do".. have been to a construction company of foreigners in Abuja as a builder,what d guy asked m ;is which road equipment can u handle,job is sure if u can..
For instance, someone studied Yoruba ,Demography from OAU,and another studied Building from THE POLYTECHNIC IBADAN like m,and u are there comparing Yoruba graduate with me.. even in Oau,they refers to DEMOGRAPHY COURSE AS OBE(SOUP)VERY EASY COURSE..OR FORESTRY FROM UI, COMPARED TO CIVIL ENGINEERING FROM POLYTECHNICS.. ITS WHAT U HAVE GOT TO OFFER PLS. I HAVE A GUY FROM FED POLY EDE,STUDIED ELECTRICAL,GOT A JOB WITH NLNG,HE HAS TOURED ALMOST EVERY PART OF THE WORLD, AS A SHIP ENGINEER..
JUST SIT DOWN THERE COMPARING..AM INTO CONSTRUCTION, FINISHED FROM THE ONLY POLY , CALL ME FOR ALL YOUR CONSTRUCTION JOB. 08032930389. CHECK MY PAGE ON FACEBOOK. PAULOBUILDERS.COM.THANKS.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by AbuSaad39(m): 8:41am On Jul 16, 2016
Most of the Universities are more strict. You hardly bribe lecturers cause many are Professors so, is what u write that you get in most cases. Unlike polytechnics where you easy bribe lecturers to have distinction or upper credit.

Ayyah, I disagree with you. Come and bribe lecturer in Federal polytechnic, Bida if they will listen to you. Yeye de smell for here.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by dom(m): 8:43am On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

UP Polytechnics!!!

No be only "ratification". Na " stratification "
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by fascowilly(m): 8:46am On Jul 16, 2016
eleojo23:
All this University vs Polytechnic argument is a waste of time.

You guys still haven't realised that attending a University or Polytechnic doesn't guarantee you a job after graduation in this present Nigeria.

I'll advice you to spend your time thinking and planning about what to do with whatever qualification you have instead of engaging in pointless arguments.

Good morning!
nice one
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Soleymania(m): 8:47am On Jul 16, 2016
[quote author=collarfreak post=47589379]Aregbesola poly ibadan[/quot
Aregbesola,sola alyson,sunny nneji,fayose,Sen ayo adeseun and myself.. the list goes on and on..
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by athorello(m): 8:49am On Jul 16, 2016
For all I care University produce premium graduates for the workplace whereas polytechnic produced just graduates... Lol. So, there's supposed to be a demarcation...two separate mandates. However, Op raised a thrashy thread because none of the positions hold water. I don't know why you should be comparing apples and oranges in the first place.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Sundaydare1: 8:49am On Jul 16, 2016
sethxy:
U should never underate a poly student, cos some are more grounded than the university students... The polytechnic also has its advantages....
I went to both, university is more advanced than polytechnic though having degree or HND certificate didn't ascertain you any jobs unless God intervein
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Idydarling(f): 8:51am On Jul 16, 2016
BornnAgainChild:

UP Polytechnics!!!

you know we know the real truth miss
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Bigii(m): 8:57am On Jul 16, 2016
Polytechnics students and pictures of misery.

Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by Larryton(m): 8:59am On Jul 16, 2016
Nigerian University better than polytechnic indeed! Still I can't see any Nigerian University in top 1000 of the world ranking. It's high time u keep competing with polytechnics cos both are created for different purposes and contribute it's own quota to national development cos most of the manager u see in offices are from uni and most poly are on the field as well, always try to compare Nigerian University to the outside world and stop this local comparison.
Re: Six Things That Makes Nigeria Universities Better Than Polytechnics by TheAziz: 8:59am On Jul 16, 2016
seriously!!!!
most of your points are even dumb, you even said dressing, shey dressing get anything to do with uni or poly. tho everyone knows the society see university ahead of polythecnic in Nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Management Announces The Immediate & Indefinite Closure Of FUOYE / Ebonyi State University (ebsu) Now Federal University The Name : / Cow Goes On The Loose In Covenant University, Attacks Passers-by (VIDEO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.