Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,407 members, 7,836,639 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola (1016 Views)

NJC Sacks Justice Adeniyi Ademola, Shuns His Resignation Letter / No Regrets Writing Petition Against Aregbesola – Osun Judge / Bribery: NJC Sacks 3 Judges, Orders Their Prosecution (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by Nobody: 4:08am On Jul 18, 2016
For daring to write a petition against the Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, Justice‎ Olamide Folahanmi Oloyede of the High Court in the state has been recommended for compulsory retirement by the National Judicial Council (NJC).

The council also stated that ‎Justice Mohammed Nasiru Yunusa of the Federal High Court, Lagos Division, has been kicked out of the bench for alleged misconduct.

The council said pending the time President Muhammadu Buhari and Aregbesola confirm the compulsory retirement, the NJC, in the exercise of its disciplinary powers under the constitution has suspended the two judges.

A statement issued yesterday in Abuja by the council’s acting Director of Information, Mr Soji Oye‎, said: “The council under the chairmanship of the Hon. Chief Justice of Nigeria, Hon. Justice Mahmud Mohammed at its 77th meeting which was held on 15th July, 2016 recommended the compulsory retirement from office of Hon. Justice Mohammed Nasiru Yunusa of the Federal High Court of the Lagos Division and Hon. Justice Olamide Folahanmi Oloyede of the High Court of Justice, Osun State.

“‎Justice Yunusa was recommended for compulsory retirement from office to President Muhammadu Buhari pursuant to the findings by the council following the allegations contained in petitions written against him by the Civil Society Network Against Corruption that His Lordship granted interim orders and perpetual injunctions, restraining the Attorney-General of the Federation, the Inspector General of Police, the Independent Corruption Practices and Related Offence Commission (ICPC) and the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) from arresting, investigating and prosecuting some persons accused of corruption in the following seven cases: FHC\L\CS\1471\2015: between Simon John Adonimere & 3 Ors Vs. EFCC; FHC\L\CS\477\14: FRN V Michael Adenuga;  FHC\L\CS\1342\15: Senator Stella Oduah Vs. AG Federation, EFCC, ICPC & IGP; FHC\L\CS\1285\15: Jyde Adelakun & Anor Vs. Chairman EFCC & Anor; FHC\L\CS\1455\: Dr. Martins Oluwafemi Thomas Vs. EFCC; FHC\L\CS\1269\15: Hon Shamsudeen Abogu Vs. EFCC & Ors; and FHC\L\CS\1012\15: Hon. Etete Dauzia Loya Vs. EFCC.”

The statement said that during‎ deliberations, council found as follows: “That Justice Yunusa assumed jurisdiction in the Federal High Court, Lagos, in suit FHC\L\CS\1342\15 wherein the infringement of the applicant’s rights occurred in Abuja contrary to Section 46 (1) of the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria (as amended).

“That His Lordship contravened Rule 3.1 of the Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers in Suit FHC\L\CS\1445\15 by claiming ignorance of the provisions of the Money Laundering Act when he made an order stopping EFCC from carrying out an investigation into a money laundering case involving $2.2 million against the applicant.

“That Hon. Justice Yunusa’s decision restraining the anti-graft agencies from carrying out their statutory functions in the first six cases mentioned is contrary to the judgment of the Court of Appeal in A.G Anambra State Vs. UBA which His Lordship quoted but did not apply in his rulings.”

On the allegations levelled against Justice Oloyede by a group, Osun Civil Societies Coalition, the council also recommended her compulsory retirement from office to the Osun governor sequel to the findings of its fact-finding committee that: “The judge failed to conduct herself in such a manner as to preserve the dignity of her office and the impartiality and independence of the judiciary when she wrote a petition against the Osun State governor and his deputy to the members of the state House of Assembly and circulated same to 36 persons/organisations.

“The petition written by the judge was said to contain political statements, unsubstantiated allegations and accusations aimed at deriding, demeaning and undermining the government of Osun State, the person and character of the governor (as one who is cruel, a liar and a traitor), his deputy and aides.

“The council also found that the petition contained statements calculated to incite the residents of Osun State against the state government and its elected officers.”

NJC added: “Justice Oloyede crossed the fundamental right of freedom of speech and created a negative perception of the Nigerian judiciary to the public.

“The allegations against the judge constitute a misconduct contrary to Section 292(1) (b) of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as amended and Rules 1(1) and 5 of the 2016 Revised Code of Conduct for Judicial Officers of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

Source:ThisDayLive

https://m.?u=https%3A%2F%2Ft.co%2FaLAVVGuJRW&h=5AQED9oho&s=1
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by IstandWitBuhari: 4:09am On Jul 18, 2016
Ok
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by Leboska(m): 4:16am On Jul 18, 2016
Apc lolzzzz, this is your change? though I knew is a bad one.

1 Like

Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by isbish(m): 4:33am On Jul 18, 2016
The Era of Judicial Abrakadabra is gone. Judges seat up and conduct yourselves well in the discharge of your Duties devoid of corruption of get KICKED out. Nice one.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by locosis007(m): 4:33am On Jul 18, 2016
Sanity has come to stay in the Nigeria system..

Good development.

Judges would straighten up their asses.

See anti corruption war is being ADJOURNED here and there
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by zeal22(m): 4:44am On Jul 18, 2016
Wow
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by bewla(m): 6:24am On Jul 18, 2016
yet again corruption
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by chriskosherbal(m): 6:33am On Jul 18, 2016
Hmmmm
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by G1gbolahan: 7:27am On Jul 18, 2016
How a judge can suddenly get up and decide on her own that the governor is ruining an economy and should be Impeached is beyond me. To cap it, she couldn't appear before the House to prove her unfounded allegations. How she remained a judge until now is a mystery to me. The NJC must act faster in bringing people like these to book and rid the bench of comical chatacters disguised as judges

1 Like

Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by authority2006(m): 7:35am On Jul 18, 2016
Leboska:
Apc lolzzzz, this is your change? though I knew is a bad one.
You never heard the words "in-house sanitation", I guess? Not everything is politics.

1 Like

Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by Nobody: 7:48am On Jul 18, 2016
Dictatorship is the best mode of ruling an ethnic divided country like Nigeria. Democracy weakens the government with useless checks and balances. When Abacha was head of state, anyone who rise up or pick arms against the state were quickly executed. Fear spread across the country and everyone behaved.

I don't pity the silly judge. No one fights a sitting government and win. If na lie, ask Nnamdi kanu how far grin
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by Fedayeen02: 7:58am On Jul 18, 2016
G1gbolahan:
How a judge can suddenly get up and decide on her own that the governor is ruining an economy and should be Impeached is beyond me. To cap it, she couldn't appear before the House to prove her unfounded allegations. How she remained a judge until now is a mystery to me. The NJC must act faster in bringing people like these to book and rid the bench of comical chatacters disguised as judges
did you know the hunger pervading Osun state then while Aregbesola was bankrolling Apc campaign with Osun funds.

This is a case of witchunt and the era of free speech being thrown to the dogs. Soon there will be nobody to speak for us.

A bad precedent is being set and we are applauding this evil today
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by vedaxcool(m): 8:43am On Jul 18, 2016
Change taking ground in the Judiciary, imagine a Judge once grant a perpetual injunction against EFCC from investigating Odili, yet that judge never got the sack or any reprimand. The woman that has been releived can fully enter and participate in politics rather than write senseless letters like a wailing she-zombie.
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by OZAOEKPE(f): 8:44am On Jul 18, 2016
vedaxcool:
Change taking ground in the Judiciary, imagine a Judge once grant a perpetual injunction against EFCC from investigating Odili, yet that judge never got the sack or any reprimand. Now that woman that has been releived can fully enter and participate in politics rather than write senseless letters like a wailing she-zombie.
Afonja, what is your p?

2 Likes

Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by shaddoww: 8:59am On Jul 18, 2016
I know the woman, she was pro PDP during d Oyinlola administration n wen Aregbesola came in, she was supposed to just keep her love for pdp to herself n not let it come in between her relationship with d executive n anywhere she disagree with dem, she should express herself from an unbiased point of view. But she made a mistake by allowing PDP manipulate her into writing a petition against d executive. I wish her well cos I know d governor now has d power to end her career with just a pen, and if he is to act like an a strict man, he will sign it immediately cos she is a traitor, I remember d governor helped her secure d house she is staying in inside d G. R. A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by vedaxcool(m): 10:46am On Jul 18, 2016
[s]
OZAOEKPE:

Afonja, what is your p?
[/s]

Judas! Must you post if you have nothing tangible thing to say?
Re: NJC Sacks Osun Judge For Writing Petition Against Aregbesola by vedaxcool(m): 11:02am On Jul 18, 2016
shaddoww:
I know the woman, she was pro PDP during d Oyinlola administration n wen Aregbesola came in, she was supposed to just keep her love for pdp to herself n not let it come in between her relationship with d executive n anywhere she disagree with dem, she should express herself from an unbiased point of view. But she made a mistake by allowing PDP manipulate her into writing a petition against d executive. I wish her well cos I know d governor now has d power to end her career with just a pen, and if he is to act like an a strict man, he will sign it immediately cos she is a traitor, I remember d governor helped her secure d house she is staying in inside d G. R. A

lol that hunger woman should be driven away jare

(1) (Reply)

Minister Of Labour Chris Ngige Meets With Innoson CEO, Others In Abuja. Photos / Breaking News, Nnpc New Pump Price For Kerosene (dpk) Now @135 / BREAKING | Aisha Buhari Arrives the USA With a Hermes Handbag Worth N40 Million

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.