Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,244 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Those Who Love Novels - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Those Who Love Novels (12916 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / How Many Nigerian Novels Have You Read Recently? / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Those Who Love Novels by Rolly: 1:26am On Dec 24, 2005
will you guys cut that out! rolleyes

@viera, why fantasy. they are nice but undecided
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Vieira(m): 2:10am On Dec 24, 2005
Rolly, I just got into it by accident.

Someone gave me a fantasy book and I thought it would be rubbish but I was surprised at how good it was.

I have been hooked since.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Rolly: 6:29am On Dec 25, 2005
oh really? can you give me the name and author and i'll check it out? thanks
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Vieira(m): 4:12pm On Dec 25, 2005
The best fantasy for me at the moment are the three sagas below:

George RR Martin - A Song of Ice and Fire : 4 books
R Scott Bakker - The Prince of Nothing : 3 books
Steven Eriksson - Malazan book of the Fallen : 5 books
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Z4M4eva(f): 4:14pm On Dec 25, 2005
Vieira:

Kwl smiley
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Vieira(m): 4:23pm On Dec 25, 2005
Merry XMas Z4M4eva
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Z4M4eva(f): 4:30pm On Dec 25, 2005
Merry Christmas Vieira smiley
Re: Those Who Love Novels by mide2(f): 4:31pm On Dec 25, 2005
Merry Christmas !!!
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Z4M4eva(f): 4:31pm On Dec 25, 2005
Merry Christmas Mide

Merry Christmas Y'all
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Rolly: 1:50am On Dec 26, 2005
Vieira:

neva heard of them but i'll try them ouy . thanks tho cheesy
Re: Those Who Love Novels by ariel(f): 3:31pm On Dec 31, 2005
Hi folks, I 've been looking forward to making new friends but looks like
you are all kool the way you are, I'm ariel in Nigeria and I love books,
have read a lot from JHC (James Hadley chase), graduated to Espionage
(Robert Ludlum, Leon Uris, Frederick Forsythe, Sidney Sheldon) to crime like
Tami Hoag and a lot others not remembered in this league, now it's fantasy
JRR Tolkien, JK Rowling, CS Lewis. They're just endless and worth reading, but
I don't have the gall to read horror though I tried sci-fi like Deon Kontz and Asimov.
But then have anyone read horror, how are they?
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Vieira(m): 4:45pm On Dec 31, 2005
For horror I have only really read Stephen King who is good and Anne Rice who is excellant.

Anne Rice writes mostly about Vampires.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Rolly: 8:21am On Jan 01, 2006
me, i dont do horror cheesy
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Advin(m): 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2006
I am not the type that reads novels a lot. But I love reading Shakespears novels, they are the best and he is the best novelist of all time. I also like Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Z4M4eva(f): 12:14pm On Jan 03, 2006
Boring! No... kidding! cheesy

"Where are thou my beloved Romeo" tongue cheesy
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Advin(m): 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2006
No kidding, shakespears books are the best. They are all masterpieces. Shakespears books have literary meaning. I can't get bored by his books.
Another great book I love is Slas Marner by George Elliot.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by niniowo(f): 5:19pm On Jan 03, 2006
Well, it appears as if we have gone off-tagent. Are we not supposed to be discussing books? My granny's favourite saying is: you look at the person you are buying from in the market place and not at the noise in the market. Please let's leave the noise.

For me, I try to keep an open mind about  books. Fiction are fiction and facts are facts. Da Vinci Code is fiction written around historical facts. You can check Dan Brown's website for further information. And while facts are sacred, opinions are free. Our uniqueness is our diversity.

I have read all Grisham's books, but the best to me is 'Skipping Christmas'. It is arguably one of the funniest books around. No, it is not the usual legal fiction like the Last Juror or village narrative like A Painted House, it is just a simple story about folks like you.

Shildney Sheldon is o.k, i guess have read everyhting but I think Jeffery Archer is gradually missing it... you have to read his Prison Diary and Sons Of Fortune to get my drift.

for 'tame' detectives, Agatha Christie is your choice. I bought her Complete Hercules Poirot's series recently. it's a master-piece, though a little bit lady-like.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by cheekee(f): 1:54pm On Jan 04, 2006
my favorite author is Frank Peretti.his book that i like is THE OATH...
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jan 04, 2006
Frank Peretti's books are ok but I have a problem with his latest one - monster. no suspense whatsoever. i got bored with it. But I like Ted Dekker. infact I recommend his books. especially blink and Thr3e. His latest is Showdown. I havent read it but I'm sure it's an excellent material.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by eslynera(f): 12:44am On Jan 06, 2006
Yeah, Frank Peretti is okay. i'm reading one of his books at the moment, and it's okay coz i find it kind of interesting,
it's called HANGMAN'S CURSE smiley
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Nnenna1(f): 12:34am On Jan 08, 2006
Who reads Margaret George? Her novels are really huge but fast reads. They're so interesting, and she makes you feel like you're in her settings, experiencing all first hand. She writes historical novels in first-person form. Currently reading "Memoirs of Cleopatra." I also love Gone with the wind.

Re: Those Who Love Novels by roca(f): 4:33am On Jan 19, 2006
ve realised somethin most nigerian best authors are either sidney sheldon or danielle steel but i tell yall deir r other pople out deir man d novel world is filled with fabulous authors especially black ones.

philips thomas duck
christine feehan
diana palmer
traycee lynda garner

if yall want more i can list
Re: Those Who Love Novels by jite(f): 7:14pm On Jan 25, 2006
hi guys
i luv all kinds of novels.Grisham is really good n so is Sheldon.What do u think of Barbara Cartland?
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Farriel(m): 8:41pm On Jan 25, 2006
Just to drop a line concerning The Da Vinci Code and Dan Brown.

@Z4M4Eva, it's surprising that you hold such views about Dan Brown's books. I'm sure that people understand that The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction, but it leaves me bemused when they attack it so fiercely and make scathing remarks that undermine the quality of such a stunning work of fiction.

It is important to remember that a reader does not have to agree with every word in the novel. Just the same way you watch a highly emotional true life story played out nicely on TV, you accept most parts of the story but surely not everything. All the movie serves to do is provoke your senses and leaves you debating what's fictional from what's factual. I think you should view The Da Vinci Code in such ways and let others judge the book for themselves.

Having said a lot, my favourite authors are endless - since I read a lot, but to mention a few, I think Henri Charriere, Michael Prescott, Dan Brown, Tami Hoag, James Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Crichton, Richard Preston, Scot Turow, John Grisham, Robert Ludlum, Jeffrey Archer, Wilbur Smith, James Hadley Chase, Ed McBain, Ken Follet, Stephen King, H.G. Wells, Mario Puzo, Phillip Kerr, Gerald Seymour, Nelson Demille, etc, and to many more whom I can't remember their names now, are amongst my all time favourite authors.

God bless them all for writing books that have had significant influence on my choices.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by justme: 6:06pm On Jan 31, 2006
Farriel:

Just to drop a line concerning The Da Vinci Code and Dan Brown.

@Z4M4Eva, it's surprising that you hold such views about Dan Brown's books. I'm sure that people understand that The Da Vinci Code is a novel and therefore a work of fiction, but it leaves me bemused when they attack it so fiercely and make scathing remarks that undermine the quality of such a stunning work of fiction.

It is important to remember that a reader does not have to agree with every word in the novel. Just the same way you watch a highly emotional true life story played out nicely on TV, you accept most parts of the story but surely not everything. All the movie serves to do is provoke your senses and leaves you debating what's fictional from what's factual. I think you should view The Da Vinci Code in such ways and let others judge the book for themselves.

Having said a lot, my favourite authors are endless - since I read a lot, but to mention a few, I think Henri Charriere, Michael Prescott, Dan Brown, Tami Hoag, James Patterson, Jeffrey Deaver, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Crichton, Richard Preston, Scot Turow, John Grisham, Robert Ludlum, Jeffrey Archer, Wilbur Smith, James Hadley Chase, Ed McBain, Ken Follet, Stephen King, H.G. Wells, Mario Puzo, Phillip Kerr, Gerald Seymour, Nelson Demille, etc, and to many more whom I can't remember their names now, are amongst my all time favourite authors.

God bless them all for writing books that have had significant influence on my choices.
hi zee(z4m4eva) i agree with farriel, i think you should read the book first, you know as they say different strokes for different folks, as for me i read anything in print and draw my own conclusions, or what do you think? smiley
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Z4M4eva(f): 10:18am On Feb 01, 2006
I think that's kwl, do your own thing! smiley
Re: Those Who Love Novels by GL(f): 1:03am On Feb 11, 2006
Danielle Steel is good but i don't like the way her books end, they always make me want to cry. I always feel depressed after reading her books so I stopped. The first was Daddy, then Fine Things, Wanderlust, Full Circle, The Kiss, Palomino, Lone Eagle, Crossings (that's about all i've read). The Kiss had the best ending. Lone Eagle and Crossings were the hardest on me. After Crossings I decided not to read Danielle Steel anymore.

V.C. Andrews is quite similar to Danielle Steel, in that her books also have that sad note, however, i think she's on a higher plane.
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Rolly: 4:53am On Feb 11, 2006
GL, i totally agree with u. i dont want to cry i actually cry, the worst one was "the gift" i was shedding tears at the end of the book but the last one i read, "ransom" was very nice. u might want to try it.

But i can recomend julie garwood, her books are funny and totally nice. u could try that too.

Goodluck!!!
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 11, 2006
what is going on with z4m4eva and veira men ........................this is a forum everyone is entitle to his or her opinion
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Z4M4eva(f): 5:20pm On Feb 11, 2006
jessy4done:

what is going on with z4m4eva and veira men ........................this is a forum everyone is entitle to his or her opinion

Nothing going on hunnie cheesy
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Nobody: 5:50pm On Feb 11, 2006
any body here join me in here for authurs like sidney and hardly chase
Re: Those Who Love Novels by Farriel(m): 12:32pm On Feb 13, 2006
Yeah, Sidney Sheldon is a great writer, but his books weren't very exciting to me. His characters lacked the depth that makes one connect to them and enjoy a great reading experience.

IMO, Chase was better. Short, thrilling, exciting books, all of his.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Chinua Achebe: An Icon Beyond Nobel Laureate Award / My Friend's Son (18+) / Unfinished Business (21+ - A Story Of Betrayal, Sex And Infidelity)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.