Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

(gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? (4135 Views)

Michael Jackson & Gani Fawehemi's Burial Insubserviently Violate Islamic Law: / Gani Buried In Golden Casket: I Fear For Gani / Ansar -ud-deen Society Frowns at Gani's Late Burial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

(gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by olalekan1(m): 4:03pm On Sep 15, 2009
According to Islamic tenets, anyone that died as a muslim should be buried the same or the next day that he or she died. Why Gani's case was so different. Strictly for Muslims please.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by Remii(m): 4:16pm On Sep 15, 2009
The children said he left that instruction, it is largely wrong they should have disobeyed the order if they themselves have strong understanding of Islamic rules on burial. Even right now on AIT the burial is going on live, with coffin and in cemented pit covered with slabs. But only Allah has the final decision on variance from rules and consequences
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by SirWelly: 4:36pm On Sep 15, 2009
Yes, he supposed to have been buried same or next day according to Islamic rights but circumstances demanded the delay of his burial because of the kind of person he was. I know that Almighty Allah knows all. Please note that he was not intentionally delayed but the wishes of the people demanded the delay.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by DISTINCT89(m): 5:00pm On Sep 15, 2009
Chief Abdul Ganiyu Fawehinmi is a titan to be honor, As I am writing I'm watching it live on AIT. With all the fact I ve been hearing about him he is worthy to be honor, As you people can see gani really fight for justice in the country.

Although as a known Muslim he should be buried according to Islamic right, In Islamic Perspective I think a person that died on 5th September, he should be buried that same day the other day. So for this fact his family must have the reasons for his late burial.

This is just article presented on his 70th birthdayHe has been jailed more than any Nigerian, living or dead, not for stealing public funds or for any crime but for challenging infamy in government; he has been tear-gassed several times; humiliated on countless occasions and brutalised times without number. Yet he remains undaunted, unshaken and unwavering in his single-minded pursuit of the common good. I wish him more years of fruitful contributions to the progress of this country. Gani, may God multiply your kind in our midst.

By Bamidele Aturu in the Nigerian Guardian Newspaper, 23rd April 2008.

CHIEF Ganiyu Oyesola Fawehinmi, friend of the toiling masses, fearless advocate, humanist par excellence, irrepressible enemy of oppressors, human rights crusader of inimitable courage, unassuming philanthropist, and an indefatigable patriot of unparalleled commitment is 70. This is really something to cheer about. To begin with, given the harassment, physical and psychological torture inflicted on him and his family by the Nigerian state, not many people thought that he would live to mark his 60th birthday not to talk of being with us at 70. Whatever the state of his health may be, this is an occasion that the masses and their friends must celebrate to high heavens.

Gani, as he is fondly called by his admirers and foes alike, is a unique Nigerian in a number of respects. Here is one Nigerian who lives his life for the good of the country only in every way. At great personal risks to himself he dared the military adventurers who usurped political power and imposed the authoritarian ethos of the garrison on our people. A consummate social critic that he is, he has never been caught pushing positions for selfish reasons or for the mere purpose of attracting attention to himself as many gallingly do these days.

I have told several people before and I believe it is appropriate to repeat it during this festive occasion that Gani is the only lawyer that I know, living or dead, who does not take a position on national issues simply because he is protecting the interest of a present or prospective client. These days one frequently read opinions that amount to hankering for briefs among lawyers or that is nothing but indecent defence of the interest of an existing client. I have had cause to disagree with this great African on some national issues, but as I told him on some of those occasions, I knew that he was merely expressing his deep and genuine convictions. Happily, those occasions were very few. I challenge anyone with a contrary opinion to express it now, I wish I could take the liberty of a priest to add the phrase, ‘or never’.

He is not one to refrain from expressing unpopular positions. In recent times he has been challenged and even excoriated by many for some of his positions that go against the general tide of public opinion. One thing that is clear is that one cannot miss his nationalistic fervour and passion in any of his interventions and commentaries. Beyond that, a nation without an avant-garde like Gani who sets agenda and thinks ahead will soon atrophy. As a human being he does not claim to be without his own flaws. The truth, however, is that compared with many people in his generation and generations behind him, Gani is closer to a saint.

Gani is a very solicitous and caring person. Several thousands of indigent people, and I am not exaggerating, have benefited from his large heart. Personally, it was Gani that paid my law school fees, an act of benevolence for which I shall remain eternally grateful. As a law student at Ife, when the power that be had made it clear that I could not get regular employment by seizing my NYSC Discharge Certificate after my first degree, Gani placed me on a monthly stipend that did not fail once. Even while still on his sick bed in far away London Gani still looked after the welfare of several people. For example I know that he ensures that the medical bills of his sister who had taken ill before him are settled promptly.

It is not an exaggeration to state that all Nigerians, without any exception whatsoever, have benefited from his legal activism. This is so because he is the doyen of public impact litigation in this country. Regardless of the narrow conception of the doctrine of locus standi by the superior courts, Gani has used the instrumentality of the law and the court to challenge every form of misbehaviour in government. Thanks to his persistence, it would appear that the doctrine has been relaxed in the case of the dollar Ministers filed by him. There is no Nigerian, again living or dead, that has challenged governments and their policies in court on matters that are not personal than Chief Gani Fawehinmi. He has expanded our legal frontiers in such a way that every branch of the law bears his imprint.

This is not the appropriate forum to discuss his forensic skills. I have already accepted the challenge thrown at me by no less a person than Odia Ofeimun, the well-known poet, to do his biography. It suffices however to recall how he used his skills in court to get us back to school after the authorities at Ife dismissed us apparently for not learning what our parents asked to go there to learn. In the midst of his arguments, he suddenly pointed to the ceilings and told the court that ‘what these boys dismissed by the University are saying is that this roof should not collapse on your Lordship’. The ceiling, unknown to any of us and perhaps the judge too at the time, was caving in. Everybody laughed, but he had made his point. We won our case and that is one of the reasons why I am today a lawyer. That was vintage Gani. He would use any lawful means to secure justice for the downtrodden.

His courage is scary. One incident that will forever remain etched in our collective memory was the scene at Yaba, under the military, where he lay down on the ground and dared the security personnel drafted to quell a public protest to run over him with their armoured tank. Thank God, they did not. But that underlines his willingness to pay the supreme sacrifice in the defence of the oppressed.

He has been jailed more than any Nigerian, living or dead, not for stealing public funds or for any crime but for challenging infamy in government; he has been tear-gassed several times; humiliated on countless occasions and brutalised times without number. Yet he remains undaunted, unshaken and unwavering in his single-minded pursuit of the common good. I wish him more years of fruitful contributions to the progress of this country. Gani, may God multiply your kind in our midst.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by DISTINCT89(m): 5:11pm On Sep 15, 2009
May his gentle soul rest in Perfect Peace (Amen)
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by bawomolo(m): 5:38pm On Sep 15, 2009
Sir Welly:

Yes, he supposed to have been buried same or next day according to Islamic rights but circumstances demanded the delay of his burial because of the kind of person he was. I know that Almighty Allah knows all. Please note that he was not intentionally delayed but the wishes of the people demanded the delay.

is the wishes of the people greater than the wishes of allah?
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by jakigaga(m): 6:21pm On Sep 15, 2009
so the deceased wishes are greater than THOSE OF ALMIGHTY ALLAH,may ALLAH forgive us our mistakes but this is a great mistake if it is unknown to them but a great sin if known.ALLAH knows best
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by KunleOshob(m): 6:58pm On Sep 15, 2009
Gani believed that burial within 24hours in the koran was actually a cultural and NOT religious injunction. The reason being that burial was immediate in the arabian area becos of the very hot climate their which made corpses to decompose fast, but today in our environment and with mordern innovations the corpse does not decompose so fast hence the need to dis-regard the cultural injunction of the arab people.

1 Like

Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 15, 2009
The question to be asked is Did Gani Fawehinmi died a Muslim?
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by olalekan1(m): 8:57am On Sep 16, 2009
OlowoTee:

The question to be asked is Did Gani Fawehinmi died a Muslim?
Yes he died a muslim because there were no indications that he converted before his death and also the prayer session was performed by the Chief Imam of Ondo before he was finally buried.
KunleOshob:

Gani believed that burial within 24hours in the koran was actually a cultural and NOT religious injunction. The reason being that burial was immediate in the arabian area becos of the very hot climate their which made corpses to decompose fast, but today in our environment and with mordern innovations the corpse does not decompose so fast hence the need to dis-regard the cultural injunction of the arab people.
You are wrong. If you are a muslim you will know what it means. Moreover, if its not the right thing in Islam, Gani himself would have go against it while he was alive.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by KunleOshob(m): 9:05am On Sep 16, 2009
olalekan1:

You are wrong. If you are a muslim you will know what it means. Moreover, if its not the right thing in Islam, Gani himself would have go against it while he was alive.

I can't possibly be wrong, maybe you mean Gani is wrong as that is the reason he gave his children for delaying his burial, as per going against it when he was alive, when did Gani become a religious crusader I thought he was a human rghts activist. And what better way can he go against it than by living firm instructions that he doesn't want to be buried in the Arabic way?

1 Like

Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by olalekan1(m): 9:37am On Sep 16, 2009
KunleOshob:

I can't possibly be wrong, maybe you mean Gani is wrong as that is the reason he gave his children for delaying his burial, as per going against it when he was alive, when did Gani become a religious crusader I thought he was a human rghts activist. And what better way can he go against it than by living firm instructions that he doesn't want to be buried in the Arabic way?
There is nothing like religious crusader. He was a human rights activist, so religous people are not human being? Human rights acts applied to all sectors not excluding religion.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by igbalajobi: 10:22am On Sep 16, 2009
May ALLAH forgive us all. Islamically, I believe it is a wrong decision either by Gani and those that carried out the instruction if truly he gave such instruction. What makes us think it is not the people & family that felt Gani should not be hurriedly buried given his status. Allahu Aalam. If prophet muhammed was burried the same day. Other notable muslims had died and buried at worst the second day except where autopsy needed to be conducted. in all May Almighty ALLAH forgive Gani and all Muslims on the day of Qiyaomah. Amin.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by Reptyle(m): 12:06pm On Sep 16, 2009
I am sorry to intrude - I am not a muslim. I am only on here because I seek some enlightenment on the topic.

Did the Prohet give any express instructions in the Quran regarding this issue of burial?
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by harmeenut: 7:08pm On Sep 16, 2009
@reptyle;

All perfect praise be to Allaah, The Lord of the Worlds. I testify that there is none worthy of worship except Allaah, and that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.

As regards delaying the burial, according to the Sunnah, one should hasten to bury the dead as the Prophet said: ''Hasten to bury the dead.’’ [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim] This is the principle in burying the dead, which is to hasten and take the initiative to bury him/her unless there is a sound reason for delaying the burial.

Among the sound reasons of delaying the burial of the dead, is waiting for his/her relatives to come as long as this is not for a long time. Some jurists stated that it is permissible to wait until the relatives of the dead, his/her friends and other people would gather provided this does not cause any difficulty for them and provided that it is not feared that the dead would decompose. However, some jurists issued Fataawa that it is not permissible to delay the burial of a corpse in order to wait for one of the relatives of the dead. Nonetheless, if there is a necessity for delaying the burial, then this is permissible as per the Fatwa of the Permanent Committee.

As regards putting the dead in the freezer and whether or not he/she feels cold, then according to the view that it is permissible to delay the burial for a necessity, then it is permissible to put the dead in a freezer; rather, it might be that this is an obligation in order to prevent him/her from being decomposed. However, we can not authoritatively say that the dead feels cold or does not feel cold in the freezer as this is a matter of the unseen, and we are not aware of any Islamic evidence which proves or denies this.

Allaah Knows best.

culled from The fatwa center on the web
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by theseeker2: 11:07pm On Sep 16, 2009
there is no point of arguement on this. His burial is totaly unislamic. Shame on his family especially dat his bastard son dat calls himself mohammed
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by No2Atheism(m): 11:10pm On Sep 16, 2009
the_seeker:

there is no point of arguement on this. His burial is totaly unislamic. Shame on his family especially dat his bastard son dat calls himself mohammed

Why do u have to descend to the level of insults . . . just to make a point.

1. Does the Quran say people should be buried the next day. . .

or

2. Is it merely an Arabic culture that is being copied by muslims worldwide . . .
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by No2Atheism(m): 11:12pm On Sep 16, 2009
jakigaga:

so the deceased wishes are greater than THOSE OF ALMIGHTY ALLAH,may ALLAH forgive us our mistakes but this is a great mistake if it is unknown to them but a great sin if known.ALLAH knows best

Another slave of Allah refusing to reason . . .

1. Does it make sense for you to try to dictate to Gani wat he is supposed to do . . .

2. Can you kindly show me the verses of the Quran that says people should be buried the next day. . .

3. Is it islamic to copy Arabic culture . . . and unislamic not to do so . . .
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by Nobody: 11:24pm On Sep 16, 2009
the_seeker:

there is no point of arguement on this. His burial is totaly unislamic. Shame on his family  especially  dat his bastard son dat calls himself mohammed

you don't have to sound this brutal because it doesn't make any sense. Mohammed isn't a bastard but forever a beloved son of his late dad and mum.  cheesy
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by orunmila76(m): 5:04pm On Sep 20, 2009
The seeker,WOE BETIDE YOU FOR THAT DIRTY STATEMENT. BABA E LO MAA SINKU EE.IDIOT
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by olabowale(m): 8:16pm On Sep 20, 2009
You and the God of The Seeker made a pact of your statement above? If not then you are a liar and that your pray will not be accepted by Allah. Amin.

And bastards are many in Nigeria. Kola Abiola is one of them, yet he looks like his late father! A bastard by behavior is still a bastard.
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by olabowale(m): 8:37pm On Sep 20, 2009
@No2Atheist: « #18 on: September 16, 2009, 11:12 PM »
Another slave of Allah refusing to reason . . .
Far better than the servant or slave of Jesus, who himself by the statement in "Acts" is a servant of his Lod God Eloi in a semitic language which is not Arabic!

1. Does it make sense for you to try to dictate to Gani wat he is supposed to do . . .
Exactly the same way I ask you if it makes sense for you to try to dictate to Allah what He is supposed to do in Mercy and justice to believers and disbelievers relatively in the day of Judgement.

2. Can you kindly show me the verses of the Quran that says people should be buried the next day. . .
The ahadith is the explainer what is not clear in the Quran, and so is the Sunnah. Muhammad (AS) the chairman of humans in Islam was buried same day, and Faweyinmi is better? Dont you think? Is there a better person than Moses among the Children of Israil? Afterall, Jesus never dare to change a jot out of the Book of Torah; No? So if this is the case, can anyone change the ruling of Moses except that such a one has practiced corruption(s)?

3. Is it islamic to copy Arabic culture . . . and unislamic not to do so . . .
Elstupido statement! What culture is it it to keep a body in the house for 2 weeks or even for any length of time? What; try your own tribe, because the yorubas that I am do not do that! Finally, arab culture is not islamic, the reason the Christians and jews among them have their own ways corresponding to their religion(s), so Islamic religion is what we see by reading of what Muhammad (AS) did, and what his comapanions (RA) did, and what the two folloing generations (ra) did! The keferis who cant even lean their behind after using the bathrooms wanna tell us what Islam is!

It is the right of the muslims to warn others not to copy any evil done by any muslims, and definitely not to take the fashions of the Keferis like you no2atheist!
Re: (gani Fawehinmi) Why Was He Not Buried The Same Day? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 21, 2009
maybe he was making a statement to Boko haram advocates.

(1) (Reply)

The Deen Show: What's The Difference Between Shia And Sunni? Karim Abuzaid / Mawlid Al-nabi (the Prophet’s Birthday) / Muslim Leaders Must Unite To Defeat False Promises Of Jihadists – Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.