Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,414 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles (3175 Views)

Atheists, We Need To Discuss These Important Topics!! NOW!! / Should Science Be The Only Legitimate Guiding Force? / Atheists,we Are Tired Of Old Argument.what Is The Logic Behind Atheism? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by C2H5OH(f): 12:45am On Sep 16, 2009
Being law abiding citizens does not explain half of the story.
The laws you abide by did not come by way of "nothing", right?
How do you differentiate right from wrong?
Basic human instinct is not enough.

I'm just curious
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 1:59am On Sep 16, 2009
C2H5OH:

I'm just curious

Are you for real?. . .All laws were made by men and all moral laws evolved. . . In fact they are still evolving. . . You know what is right and what is wrong because you were taught about it by your surrounding culture. . .
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 2:42am On Sep 16, 2009
mazaje:

Are you for real?. . .All laws were made by men and all moral laws evolved. . . In fact they are still evolving. . . You know what is right and what is wrong because you were taught about it by your surrounding culture. . .

will u stop embarrasing urself?
if right and wrong is a cultural influence. . .what is the position of the conscience? how come the conscience influences actions and inactions?
how are billions of people in the world influenced today by the laws of God as prescribed in the old testament? how come human laws evolve around conventional laws of God?
do u actually understand the concept of morality?

The threads talks about guiding principles. . . .what EXACTLY are ur guiding principles in life?. , , . must u evade questions on every thread?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 4:20am On Sep 16, 2009
noetic2:

will u stop embarrasing urself? 
if right and wrong is a cultural influence. . .what is the position of the conscience? how come the conscience influences actions and inactions?

Right and wrong depend solely on cultural influence. . .Human conscience evolved as a result of experience and it is still evolving as we are getting to understand each other better. . .There was a time when slavery was the right thing to do. . .and most people approved of it. . even their gods. . .but as time moved on and their conscience evolved they discovered that, that actions were counter productive to their society as a whole and put an end to it. . .There are societies where cannibalism was the right thing to do and most members of that society do not see any thing wrong in doing that. . .Every society determines what is right and what is wrong based on past experience or through interaction with other societies. . .   

how are billions of people in the world influenced today by the laws of God as prescribed in the old testament?

What laws exactly? Stoning to death of disobedient children or cutting the hands of women? Is it the prohibition of men to look at menstruating women or the laws that say that you should kill your family members that entice you and tell you to worship other gods? Even the ten commandments were basied and were not universal because when it says thou shall not kill it meant that shall not kill your fellow jew because yahweh also told the jews according to the bible to kill others that do not worship him. . .when it says thou shall not steal it was only talking about not stealing from your fellow jews because the bible god tells his chosen men to pillage and loot from others, he even participates in sharing of the loot in some cases according to the bible. . .So the ten commandments were not universally applicable. . . .People have been living with each other and observing some the laws of the ten commandments(thou shall not steal, thou shall not lie etc) in other parts of the world before the jews wrote them down. . .The jews were not the one that first wrote them down. . .people had already been observing some of the laws long before the jews wrote them down. . . 

The broader picture is this. . .Human morality is constantly evolving. . . There is no universally acceptable morality. . . every society has what it considers morally acceptable and what it doesn't and it differs from place to place. . . people in various groups learn from past experience and make changes for the better. . .If you look at the bible incest was not considered to be a sin at a time but as the peoples conscience evolved they decided to change it and label it a sin. . .If you look at the bible you will see that the morality of the people and their god was constantly evolving. . .yahweh encouraged slavery, killing and looting of other people, babaric laws like stoning to death of disobedient children ect. . . later when the conscience of the people evoled and the saw that this laws were no longer sustainable abiding by them or tried to change those laws. . .even jews of today that believe in the torah and the law of moses do not stone to death their disobedient children, they have discarded most of the barbaric laws of moses. . .their morality and conscience has evolved from that of their ancestors. . .All laws are made purely for the good and the survival of the society. . .when the ancient jews thought that killing their neighbors, taking what belongs to them and enslaving them will better their survival their god told them to kill their neighbors, seize their wealth and be racist to them. . .later when they realized that this system is unsustainable and is not good for the society at large their god told them to embrace their neighbors and be good to them. . , 

how come human laws evolve around conventional laws of God?

You don't have any evidence to show that any god gave any body any laws to follow, you only have people writing down laws for themselves and ascribing it to their various gods. . .there are no god giving laws all laws are man made and they differ from society to society. . . . .Humans make laws for themselves all the time and those laws always change as human morality and conscience changes and evolves. . .example racism and segregation was the normal way of life in the united state in the 30's and 40's but as their conscience and morality evolved through trial and error they decided to drop those laws of segregation and embrace the new laws that favor equality. . .because they know that it will be for the benefit of the society as a whole. . .500 years ago there was nothing like war treaties and war crimes. . today we have such things as war crimes because our morality and our conscience has evolved. . .

do u actually understand the concept of morality?

Morality is something that keeps on evolving all the time. . .500 years ago you will not be able to live as comfortable as you are over there in england. . .you would have been a slave because the conscience of the people living at that time had not evolved like ours, making slaves out of people that are from another race or tribe was the right thing to do amongst the people that were living in england at that time. . .People were living like animals about 3000 years ago. . .If you visit ancient cities like rome or athens you will see how they built their cities. . .they had walls and people move in groups for fear of being kidnapped and sold into slavery. . .You dare not walk alone because if members of another tribe see you. . you are toast. . . but now our morality has evolved and we no longer live like them. . .killing of twins was once accepted as the right thing to do in some parts of nigeria but now that the conscience of the people has evolved they no longer practice that primitive way of life. . .100 years ago no body would have accepted a black man as the president of the United states because most of the people living at that time believed that blacks were no different from monkeys. . .Today peoples conscience has evolved and they voted for a black man to be the POTUS. . . .

The threads talks about guiding principles. . .  .what EXACTLY are your guiding principles in life?. ,  ,  . must u evade questions on every thread?

My guiding principle is life is do unto others as you will want them to do unto you. . .
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by bawomolo(m): 4:21am On Sep 16, 2009
C2H5OH:

I'm just curious

nope, they came through thousands of years of civilization and human experimentation.  Moral codes are determined by man who try to give these codes more power by ascribing them to imaginary beings in the sky.

Slavery was cool during biblical times but it's frowned upon these days.   The concept of right and wrong is relative.  
PETA thinks its wrong to kill animals but are they right?  Is Abortion right or wrong?  Is polygamy right or wrong.  Is waging war right or wrong? Is building a nuclear bomb right or wrong?

Right from wrong is determined for the most part based on how it affects humanity and of course the environment we live in.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 7:10pm On Sep 16, 2009
mazaje I have not replied cos I am trying to recollect the title of a similar thread where I debated this same topic with KAG. , , . , bear with me.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 7:14pm On Sep 16, 2009
Noetic my man nothing do you. . .
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by banom(m): 7:21pm On Sep 16, 2009
mazaje:

Noetic my man nothing do you. . .

Noetic your man ?
are you a hypocrite like him?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 7:22pm On Sep 16, 2009
banom:

Noetic your man ?

why am I an hypocrite? when did I become a hypocrite?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by banom(m): 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2009
noetic2:

why am I an hypocrite? when did I become a hypocrite?

You don't practice what you preach, or is insult and name calling the latest verse in the bible ?

That is what you do here all the time to those who disagree on your stands.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 7:31pm On Sep 16, 2009
banom:

Noetic your man ?

I like the guy he comes across as an interesting person to me . . . .  grin
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 7:35pm On Sep 16, 2009
banom:

You don't practice what you preach, or is insult and name calling the latest verse in the bible ?

1. how do u know I dont practice what I preach? have u ever seen me before? do u know me?

2. I know I have a "strong" vocabulary. . , , .but I hardly insult people. . . .so when people say I have insulted them. . . . .my usual response is "are u educated?"
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 3:50pm On Sep 17, 2009
Noetic where are you? kiss grin
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by Krayola2(m): 4:15pm On Sep 17, 2009
banom:

haha. I've debated noetic2 several times and though we disagree A LOT, he has never insulted me.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 4:44pm On Sep 17, 2009
mazaje:

Noetic where are you? kiss grin

lolz. . . .I cant run away. , grin
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by banom(m): 6:48pm On Sep 17, 2009
noetic2:

1. how do u know I dont practice what I preach? have u ever seen me before? do u know me?

2. I know I have a "strong" vocabulary. . , , .but I hardly insult people. . . .so when people say I have insulted them. . . . .my usual response is "are u educated?"

I thik i am edukattedd, i atttenddeded aglican night primarry skul, where i got my bsc in illetracilogy.

But i advice you to repent. okkk,
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by budaatum: 3:29pm On Sep 19, 2009
C2H5OH:

I'm just curious
My first knowledge of what is right or wrong did not come form the Bible and still on the whole does not. To illustrate, I do not agree that I should do unto you as I would have you do unto me! I see it is a selfish concept, though I confess my reasoning being how I look at it. I, for instance do not like people poking their nose in my business, and nor do I poke mine in theirs. Some on the other hand like poking their nose into one's business, and like others poking one's nose into theirs. If they poke their nose into mine, and ask that I do unto them as they have done unto me, then I would have to poke my nose into their business, which I would rather not do! Complex, but surely, you can get your head around it with some thought, I hope.

But back to the question at hand, "How do I differentiate right from wrong?"

If a person were to poke his finger in my eye, it will hurt. I will feel discomfort, and might probably be annoyed depending on whether it were done on purpose or not. Regardless, the pain I will feel convinces me that poking one's finger in the eye, hurts. And hence it goes in the bad, or not to do with no good reason, column.

If I were hungry and a person were to come and give me a loaf of bread to eat, I would be grateful, and belliful indeed - all good feelings compared to my bad feeling of hunger I heretofore felt. Ergo, giving bread to a hungry person is a good thing, and that is the column that it goes in.

Now consider killing someone, or stealing from another! If someone steals my life, I will be dead. I know some might beleive that when they die they go somewhere, but still, does anyone have the right to send another there!? Can one say, "I stole the life of another to do them the favour of facilitating their departure to a better place"? Why aren't those stealers of life stealing their own life if it were such a good thing to do to someone? Depriving someone else of what is rightfully theirs is not a good thing, and one knows this is one is deprived of hat was theirs. Do I need a law to tell me I will not like it, and perhaps, neither will you?

But let us suppose I was a little more ignorant than I actually am, and thought it okay to deprive you of what were yours. I am sure you will show your displeasure at your deprivation at my hands. And I am sure I will know about it. I assure you that by the time you shoot me dead for depriving you of what is yours, I would sure know how you feel. And by golly, am I glad that I am not as ignorant as to call your displeasure something that it is not!

Laws are a thing of reason. No society can live without them, not even one made up of apes or tigers. They may not have written laws like we know them. But they sure as hell must live by some sort of conduct or they would have killed one another out of existence by now! Some of you may think that the Laws as given in the Bible was the first time those laws ever existed. I am sorry to say, and evidence, if you bothered to check, does show that those laws existed long before Moses went up the mountain to write them, and even where the God who allegedly wrote them for him was not known. After all, it was not as if the Egyptians went around killing one another, or coveting one another's wife or anything. They even declared that there was only one God before Yahweh is said to have declared it, as did the Sumerians who dwelt in what is today's Iraq where those rivers some claim to be of the Garden of Eden still exist.

Some may only know what is right or wrong becasue the Bible tells them so. But there are many who know what is good or bad becasue of other reasons too.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by toneyb: 3:57pm On Sep 19, 2009
@OP

If you claim that god is the moral giver then why do parents bother to teach their children what is right and what is wrong? If there is any thing like inbuilt concience then why do parent go the extra mile to teach their kids the difference between right and wrong and make sure that they abide by their teachings?

Morality comes as a result of thousands of years of experimentation, and each society makes its laws based on what will be in the best interest of the people. Just as mazaje as painted out if you look at your bible you will see the morality of the people always evolving, It started at a very primitive stage and keep on evolving. When killing the people around them was the best thing that will ensure their survival their the made laws telling them to kill of the people around them and take their properties, they then ascribed those laws to their god, when they later realized that such a system was not for their common good and the betterment of their survival they changed those laws and their god approved of the new laws they created.

All laws and system of morality are man made, people create laws to help them live better lives and for the better survival of the society at large. There is no god given law all laws are man made
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by Bobbyaf(m): 6:21am On Sep 21, 2009
If moral codes came via men's customs and traditions then how is it mankind's values are getting worse? Why are social values worsening rather than improving? I will tell you why.

People tend to stifle their God-given consciences for the sake of doing wrong. There is no more wrong or right in society anymore, because everything has become situational. In other words each person in their own right determines what is right from wrong. In that way they have no God to account to.

The theory of evolution with its diabolic positions have failed miserably. It started out advocating that life experienced gradual positive developments, and would continue doing so over time. Yet what we have come to see and expect based on the bible's prediction, is that humans are making a mockery of social values when they turn their backs on religion and God.

The human mind is the most complex entity in the universe next to God's, and believe you me, only someone with a bigger mind than ours could have created it. The power of the mind could not have come about by itself and especially by chance as advocated by the pseudo science called evolution.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 9:26am On Sep 21, 2009
Bobbyaf:

If moral codes came via men's customs and traditions then how is it mankind's values are getting worse? Why are social values worsening rather than improving? I will tell you why.

What do you mean by our social values getting worse?. . . . read history books and tell me how our social values have gotten worse. . . 2000 years ago criminals were crucified an left for the vultures to come and feast on their dead bodies. . .now this mode of punishment is unaccptable even to criminals. . . slavery was conventional about 200 years ago now its not only unconventional but a crime. . .Infact tody we have such things and animal rights things that never existed about 2000 years ago. . . 2000 years ago people could invade a city unprovoked kill them off(including civilians) and take what belongs to them. . today this action will be considered a war crime. . .Integration between people of different tribes and race has never been at its peak. . . back in the day racism and tribalism was supported by all the various gods and the state it self. . . .

People tend to stifle their God-given consciences for the sake of doing wrong. There is no more wrong or right in society anymore, because everything has become situational. In other words each person in their own right determines what is right from wrong. In that way they have no God to account to.

If there is anything as "god given conscience" then why do parents spend a lot of time teaching their children the difference between right and wrong? Why not allow this "god given conscience" to teach them? There is nothing like god given conscience. . .humans are social creatures and rely heavily on each other for survival. it has been this way for many multiple thousands of years. . . . . in modern culture without nearly as many dangers outside our own population. . . . . it's difficult to see where this morality would come from, but hundreds of thousand of years of learned behavior is difficult to get rid of. . . . there technically is no moral authority except what a people imposes on themselves. . . . . .there is no god given morality. . morality MUST be learned. . . .

The theory of evolution with its diabolic positions have failed miserably. It started out advocating that life experienced gradual positive developments, and would continue doing so over time. Yet what we have come to see and expect based on the bible's prediction, is that humans are making a mockery of social values when they turn their backs on religion and God.

How are human's making a mockery of social values? have you read the old testament and seen how people were REALLY making a mockery of social values?. . .Most of their social values in the OT were based soley on self interest as a group. . .That is why you have them saying that theirgod told them to kill off others and take their land, rape their women, lie to them, kill their children etc. . .

The human mind is the most complex entity in the universe next to God's, and believe you me, only someone with a bigger mind than ours could have created it. The power of the mind could not have come about by itself and especially by chance as advocated by the pseudo science called evolution.

Have you ever experineced this god's mind that you talk about? How do you know that this god's mind is the only thing that is more complex than the human mind? have you ever experienced it or is this also part of you many many unsubstatianed claims?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 10:35am On Sep 21, 2009
mazaje:

Right and wrong depend solely on cultural influence. . .Human conscience evolved as a result of experience and it is still evolving as we are getting to understand each other better. . .There was a time when slavery was the right thing to do. . .and most people approved of it. . even their gods. . .but as time moved on and their conscience evolved they discovered that, that actions were counter productive to their society as a whole and put an end to it. . .There are societies where cannibalism was the right thing to do and most members of that society do not see any thing wrong in doing that. . .Every society determines what is right and what is wrong based on past experience or through interaction with other societies. . .   

I cant recollect the title of the thread where I debated this same issue with KAG. . . . . .it would have been easier, as u are simply repeating the points I rebuffed on that thread.
Right and wrong does not depend on cultural influence. dont mistake norms for moral values.
Right and wrongs are taught simply based on CONVICTIONS. . . . . .convictions are influenced by beliefs and many times by religion.
As at when slavery was the "right" thing to do. . . . . . .some found slavery inappropriate . . . .and that explains why some slave masters supported anti-slavery.
The human conscience is influenced by convictions. . . . . .to decide whats right or wrong. . . and not cultural tendacies like u postulate.

What laws exactly? Stoning to death of disobedient children or cutting the hands of women? Is it the prohibition of men to look at menstruating women or the laws that say that you should kill your family members that entice you and tell you to worship other gods? Even the ten commandments were basied and were not universal because when it says thou shall not kill it meant that shall not kill your fellow jew because yahweh also told the jews according to the bible to kill others that do not worship him. . .when it says thou shall not steal it was only talking about not stealing from your fellow jews because the bible god tells his chosen men to pillage and loot from others, he even participates in sharing of the loot in some cases according to the bible. . .So the ten commandments were not universally applicable. . . .People have been living with each other and observing some the laws of the ten commandments(thou shall not steal, thou shall not lie etc) in other parts of the world before the jews wrote them down. . .The jews were not the one that first wrote them down. . .people had already been observing some of the laws long before the jews wrote them down. . . 

The broader picture is this. . .Human morality is constantly evolving. . . There is no universally acceptable morality. . . every society has what it considers morally acceptable and what it doesn't and it differs from place to place. . . people in various groups learn from past experience and make changes for the better. . .If you look at the bible incest was not considered to be a sin at a time but as the peoples conscience evolved they decided to change it and label it a sin. . .If you look at the bible you will see that the morality of the people and their god was constantly evolving. . .yahweh encouraged slavery, killing and looting of other people, babaric laws like stoning to death of disobedient children ect. . . later when the conscience of the people evoled and the saw that this laws were no longer sustainable abiding by them or tried to change those laws. . .even jews of today that believe in the torah and the law of moses do not stone to death their disobedient children, they have discarded most of the barbaric laws of moses. . .their morality and conscience has evolved from that of their ancestors. . .All laws are made purely for the good and the survival of the society. . .when the ancient jews thought that killing their neighbors, taking what belongs to them and enslaving them will better their survival their god told them to kill their neighbors, seize their wealth and be racist to them. . .later when they realized that this system is unsustainable and is not good for the society at large their god told them to embrace their neighbors and be good to them. . , 

You don't have any evidence to show that any god gave any body any laws to follow, you only have people writing down laws for themselves and ascribing it to their various gods. . .there are no god giving laws all laws are man made and they differ from society to society. . . . .Humans make laws for themselves all the time and those laws always change as human morality and conscience changes and evolves. . .example racism and segregation was the normal way of life in the united state in the 30's and 40's but as their conscience and morality evolved through trial and error they decided to drop those laws of segregation and embrace the new laws that favor equality. . .because they know that it will be for the benefit of the society as a whole. . .500 years ago there was nothing like war treaties and war crimes. . today we have such things as war crimes because our morality and our conscience has evolved. . .

u keep mixing the laws with the punishment.

I insist that billions of people in the world today are influenced by God's commandments in the OT. This commandments include Thou shall not kill, lie, fornicate or commit adultery et all. This laws have replaced barbaric cultural norms that have repeatedly influenced man.

Do u know of any group of people that predates the OT who abided by laws similar to the 10 commandments?

Morality is something that keeps on evolving all the time. . .500 years ago you will not be able to live as comfortable as you are over there in england. . .you would have been a slave because the conscience of the people living at that time had not evolved like ours, making slaves out of people that are from another race or tribe was the right thing to do amongst the people that were living in england at that time. . .People were living like animals about 3000 years ago. . .If you visit ancient cities like rome or athens you will see how they built their cities. . .they had walls and people move in groups for fear of being kidnapped and sold into slavery. . .You dare not walk alone because if members of another tribe see you. . you are toast. . . but now our morality has evolved and we no longer live like them. . .killing of twins was once accepted as the right thing to do in some parts of nigeria but now that the conscience of the people has evolved they no longer practice that primitive way of life. . .100 years ago no body would have accepted a black man as the president of the United states because most of the people living at that time believed that blacks were no different from monkeys. . .Today peoples conscience has evolved and they voted for a black man to be the POTUS. . . .

what is SOMETHING that keeps on evolving. . . . . use legible words to define morality. . .what is morality?

My guiding principle is life is do unto others as you will want them to do unto you. . .

and where did u get this principle from?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by Tudor6(f): 11:07am On Sep 21, 2009
noetic2:

I insist that billions of people in the world today are influenced by God's commandments in the OT. This commandments include Thou shall not kill, lie, fornicate or commit adultery et all. This laws have replaced barbaric cultural norms that have repeatedly influenced man.

Do u know of any group of people that predates the OT who abided by laws similar to the 10 commandments?
This is a lie. Even in some african societies before the europeans came with their lies. Sex before marriage was dishonorable , there were penalties for stealing be it land or livestock, people who told lies and deceived were known as bad people, you were not allowed to sleep with another mans wife and much like the isrealites murder was illegal not unless the "gods" commanded it. Did god drop the ten commandments in the african bush too?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 11:10am On Sep 21, 2009
Tudór:

This is a lie. Even in some african societies before the europeans came with their lies. Sex before marriage was dishonorable , there were penalties for stealing be it land or livestock, people who told lies and deceived were known as bad people, you were not allowed to sleep with another mans wife and much like the isrealites murder was illegal not unless the "gods" commanded it. Did god drop the ten commandments in the african bush too?

did they practice the entire 10 commandments? evidence?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by Tudor6(f): 11:25am On Sep 21, 2009
noetic2:

did they  practice the entire 10 commandments? evidence?
Which of the ten commandments did they not practice apart from the first which said thou shall worship only yahweh obviously he wasn't their god and they knew not jack shit about him.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by jagunlabi(m): 11:25am On Sep 21, 2009
Mazaye has said it all in his post.Great post.
How religious folks can build their morality around the laws put down by a nasty and repulsive deity like yahweh is beyond me. . . shocked
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by noetic2: 11:34am On Sep 21, 2009
Tudór:

Which of the ten commandments did they not practice apart from the first which said thou shall worship only yahweh obviously he wasn't their god and they knew not jack shit about him.

proof?
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by Tudor6(f): 11:45am On Sep 21, 2009
Go to a library of African history and knock yourself out or better still call your grandma and ask her.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by budaatum: 11:54am On Sep 21, 2009
noetic2:
You can insist as much as you wish, Noetic, I for one, would rather you go and check the evidence. It would show you that laws, specifically, the commandments  (And do note that the commandments of the Jews are way more than the commonly known ten!) existed long before even the Jews did in societies that had no concept of the Judaic God. As to them being barbaric, sentiment alone would stop one saying that even the Jews were barbaric people before they got their laws. They were after all passed to educate people out of barbarism, which is what laws are intended for. If you passed those laws today, one should ask if you were passing them for barbarians. Below are the accepted beliefs about the origin of the Judaic Ten Commandments.

There are three basic beliefs about the origin of the Decalogue:
They were written and/or dictated by God at Mount Sinai, circa 1450 BCE.
They were written by three Hebrew authors (or groups of authors) between 922 and 622 BCE based upon ancient Hebrew myths and legends.
Their original source was in Pagan documents written by Hittites or Egyptians which were plagiarized and added to by ancient Hebrew writers.
Source

No one abided by the laws of the Ten Commandment, Noetic! Not even the Jews whom you believe created them abided by them. One just need read the Bible to know how often they were broken to know that. But if you want to know what other societies had similar laws as the ten, then I assure you that the Egyptians had them encoded in their laws for one. Where else would Moses have learnt them from, or do you really think some sort of spirit carved them in stone for him on some Mount Sinai?

The Babylonians had them too. Perusal of their history will show you that they too had them handed down to them by Gods of some sort.

The Earliest Laws
Every society needs to have laws to protect itself and its members. Even ancient civilisations had laws, which were part of their religious ritual and tribal customs. These were passed on by example and by word of mouth.

The oldest written set of laws known to us is the Code of Hammurabi. He was the king of Babylon between 1792 BC and 1758 BC. Hammurabi is said to have been handed these laws by Shamash, the God of Justice. The laws were carved on huge stone slabs and placed all over the city so that people would know about them. Judges were appointed to see that they were obeyed.
[url=http://www.civicsandcitizenship.edu.au/cce/pl_early_laws,9534.html]source[/url]

As to religion being the promoter of laws, that is so. Religion, after all is the only form of educating a people that existed in antiquity. And education in those days was mainly the teaching of the proper conduct of a people. That some higher authority needed to be resorted to to make people obey those laws is evident; even the Egyptian Pharaohs were not authority enough.
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by mazaje(m): 11:55am On Sep 21, 2009
noetic2:

I cant recollect the title of the thread where I debated this same issue with KAG. . . . . .it would have been easier, as u are simply repeating the points I rebuffed on that thread.
Right and wrong does not depend on cultural influence. dont mistake norms for moral values.
Right and wrongs are taught simply based on CONVICTIONS. . . . . .convictions are influenced by beliefs and many times by religion.
As at when slavery was the "right" thing to do. . . . . . .some found slavery inappropriate . . . .and that explains why some slave masters supported anti-slavery.
The human conscience is influenced by convictions. . . . . .to decide whats right or wrong. . . and not cultural tendacies like u postulate.

And the convictions came about as a mater of experimentation. . . .

u keep mixing the laws with the punishment.

Punishments to have changed so much and are not what they used to be in the past. . . people don't get stoned to death for disobeying their parents today. . .

This is a LIE. . . you have no evidence to show that any god issued any commandment to any body. . . all you have are people writing various laws and ascribing it to their god. . .People living in other societies LONG before moses was born knew that stealing was wrong, lying was wrong, having sex with another man's wife was wrong. . . . . Even moses had to run away according to the bible when he killed an egyptian, because he knew he will be punished according to the bible. . why because he knew that killing was wrong. . .this happened long before his god gave him the 10 commandment according to the biblical story. . .Thou shall not kill was NOT giving by any god. . . people knew that it was wrong to kill LONG before Moses was born. . . .

The Egyptians, The Chinese, The Greeks, The Indians. . .etc. . . . .

what is SOMETHING that keeps on evolving. . . . . use legible words to define morality. . .what is morality?

If you want to know what morality means consult the dictionary. . . .

and where did u get this principle from?

From surrounding culture, my experience and common sense. . .
Re: Atheists: We Need To Know Your Guiding Principles by budaatum: 11:59am On Sep 21, 2009
Halacha and the Ten Commandments

Judaism is a religious culture Halacha, or Way, and religious beliefs based primarily on The Torah (The Hebrew Bible), which is comprised of 613 commandments (Mitzvot) that cover all aspects of life from birth to death (G-d's revealed instructions to the Jewish people).

Halacha (Halakha, Halakhah, Halachah), the "way to go", referred to the overall system of of Judaic religious law, to entire collection of rabbinical legal texts, or to a single rule. Passed down from generation to generation over the years, the Halacha has been developing and expanding since before 500 BCE.
Source and more

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do Not Be Unequally Yoked Up With Unbelievers - Zac Poonen / Divorce And The Bible: Does God Allow Mistakes? / Man A Trinity (spirit, Soul, Body)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 134
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.