Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,141 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:03 AM

How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. (5625 Views)

Contemporary Step-by-step Guide To Food Export Business / NAFDAC Bursts Counterfeit Moet, Chandon Wine, St. Remy Brandy, Others / How To Make The Best Palm Wine And Ogogoro (gin) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 6:38am On Jul 26, 2016
Some wines see no oak at all, but are kept in stainless steel tanks to preserve the fresh fruity characteristics.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 6:41am On Jul 26, 2016
Finally, the wine is ready and is prepared for bottling. Often, filtration is used to make the wine bright and clear, and to remove any risk of microbialspoilage. The glass on the left has been filtered; on the right you can see what it was like just before the process.

lalasticlala teach people to make wine na.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by TheAziz: 7:06am On Jul 26, 2016
explorers god bless you
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 26, 2016
I can relate
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by okirewaju(f): 8:21am On Jul 26, 2016
Quite a process
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:01am On Jul 26, 2016
How cork is made An illustrated guide to the cork production process.

It all starts in the forest. Cork oaks are harvested every nine years, once they reach maturity. It doesn't harm the tree, and the cork bark regrows. Most cork forests are in Portugal and Spain.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:02am On Jul 26, 2016
The year of harvest is marked on the trunk, so each tree isn't harvested at the wrong time. Cork is a great insulating material, and gives these oaks a chance to survive the forest fires that occasionally happen in the hot Mediterranean summers.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:04am On Jul 26, 2016
Here's a close-up of a tree that was harvested the year previously.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:05am On Jul 26, 2016
The harvested cork planks are stored before processing. Good cork companies will store them on concrete rather than bare earth, lowering the risk of contamination.

Before processing, the cork planks are put on pallets. Then they are ready for the first stage in the cork production process: boiling. The following pictures were taken at Amorim's facility in Coruche, ion the south of Portugal.

1 Share

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:08am On Jul 26, 2016
This is a close-up of a piece of harvested plank or bark.

1 Share

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by ichommy(m): 9:08am On Jul 26, 2016
Explorers

1 Like

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:11am On Jul 26, 2016
The planks or barks are boiled to soften them, and also to clean them. In the bad olddays these would be boiled in murky pits without the water being changed very often. Now, to avoid cross-contamination, the water is cleaned, filteredand replenished regularly, with volatiles being removed on a continuous basis.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:13am On Jul 26, 2016
The boiled planks are flatter and easier to work with.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:14am On Jul 26, 2016
Next, the planks are graded and cut into workable pieces.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:15am On Jul 26, 2016
This is a nice-looking piece of plank.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Gidoka(m): 9:16am On Jul 26, 2016
Explorers ayam witch u
like a hunchback
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:21am On Jul 26, 2016
These workers are hand-punching corks from strips of the bark, these will be high-end corks. Others are machine punched.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:23am On Jul 26, 2016
It is a skilled process, make the wrong decisions and the corks aren't good enough, or cork is wasted.

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:29am On Jul 26, 2016
What remains of the planks after the corks have been punched.

1 Share

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:45am On Jul 26, 2016
The corks are optically sorted: blasts of air are used to send the corks into the right grade bins.

1 Share

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 9:58am On Jul 26, 2016
Then the corks are sorted by eye.

1 Like

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 10:03am On Jul 26, 2016
Great care is taken sorting the top grade corks.

1 Share

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Adesiji77: 10:30am On Jul 26, 2016
Explorers, you are the man!

Thought about the cork when I opened a bottle of wine few days ago, but it seemed so inconsequential at the time.

Keep it coming...following bumper to bumper wink

1 Like

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 10:42am On Jul 26, 2016
Adesiji77:
Explorers, you are the man!

Thought about the cork when I opened a bottle of wine few days ago, but it seemed so inconsequential at the time.

Keep it coming...following bumper to bumper wink

Ive been trying to figure out the production also, anytime i open a bottle of wine, first thing is to bite the cork. Very soft, so ive been wondering what it was made of untill this morning.

Thanks bro.

2 Likes

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 10:46am On Jul 26, 2016
ichommy:
Explorers

Smiles....Same here bro.
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Dikolas(m): 11:01am On Jul 26, 2016
If you are on Nairaland and you haven't been to Explorer Avenue, then you are missing.

Just bookmark Explorer profile.....

3 Likes

Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 11:48am On Jul 26, 2016
TheAziz:
explorers god bless you

Amen, u 2 bro. Thanks.
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Sleekyshuga(f): 12:29pm On Jul 26, 2016
Interesting

I remember a MCBist who locally produced red wine as his M.Sc work.

Very useful information, Explorers. Well done.
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 12:36pm On Jul 26, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
Interesting

I remember a MCBist who locally produced red wine as his M.Sc work.

Very useful information, Explorers. Well done.

Tnx
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by OsoDupe(f): 1:56pm On Jul 26, 2016
Nice one dude, I've always wondered how the Cork enter the wine bottle and it refusing to enter after opening it.
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by tk4rd: 2:43pm On Jul 26, 2016
OsoDupe:
Nice one dude, I've always wondered how the Cork enter the wine bottle and it refusing to enter after opening it.
I guess he is still coming to that.. That was the first question on my mind when I opened this thread
Re: How Wine And Cork Are Made: Illustrated Guide To The Wine, Cork Making Process. by Explorers(m): 6:28pm On Jul 26, 2016
OsoDupe:

Thats the work of cockers, they have been designed to compress or sqeeze the cork into the bottle applying little pressure.

There are different types of cockers, the attached image is just a home cocker.
The factory cockers will be large capacity machines at the bottling line, corcking hunderd bottles in minutes.

cc: tk4rd

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Went To An Occasion Today At Oriental Hotel I Was Served Beans And Dodo / Duru Bulgur Wheat Rice / Illustrated Naija Cookbook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.