Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,223 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride (8025 Views)

7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 6:33pm On Jul 28, 2016
austinosita:
You are right on point! I so love this thread and I'm following!
BTW, I was a victim! office politics made me lose 3 jobs consecutively! "if I try to learn from my mistake.......another one(different) crops up"
I figured I can't play it
Can you share your experience with us? We'll love to learn.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 6:34pm On Jul 28, 2016
lashout1:
when i saw this thread, the first thing that struck my mind is "Mafian manager"
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Why is that?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by lashout1: 9:49pm On Jul 28, 2016
amicable09:
cheesy cheesy cheesy Why is that?
It's a book i read on office politics.
maybe u will that a shot.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by Nobody: 7:56am On Jul 29, 2016
amicable09:

I called you Ade when I saw you were away for too long but you sounded like you had not slept in years cheesy

I've been good.
You?

Call ke? How? When? shocked Lol @ not having slept in years.

*modified

Don't tell me you'r the lady with the "titillating" voice who called me one evening last week I think.

I was reading when that call came in. Actually in my head I was trying to balance one stubborn account while also following the conversation. I just chalked it up to a wrong number.

Why didn't you just introduce yourself though? Let me go and root for that phone number if I can still find it cheesy
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 8:04am On Jul 29, 2016
amicable09:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
You reminded me of something now. I'll talk about it soon but office politics is a subject a lot of us shy away from, maybe because the politics isn't replaced with ethics. The reason for the thread is to give us a paradigm shift in the way we have hitherto viewed the subject.

Thanks for joining the discussion.
Thanks to everyone who is following.
More updates coming up.
Good morning.
I"d be here for my line of thought tomorrow. Got some questions to ask, hope you'd be willing to provide answers.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 9:59am On Jul 29, 2016
lashout1:

It's a book i read on office politics.

maybe u will that a shot.
The Mafia Manager... seen the review.
I'll see if I can get a copy anytime soon.
Thanks.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 10:02am On Jul 29, 2016
adeaks:

Call ke? How? When? shocked Lol @ not having slept in years.

*modified

Don't tell me you'r the lady with the "titillating" voice who called me one evening last week I think.

I was reading when that call came in. Actually in my head I was trying to balance one stubborn account while also following the conversation. I just chalked it up to a wrong number.

Why didn't you just introduce yourself though? Let me go and root for that phone number if I can still find it cheesy
cheesy cheesy cheesy
I doubt you'll find the number. Hope the account balanced in the end?
I'll call again on your next birthday cheesy
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 10:05am On Jul 29, 2016
EmmyDe25:

I"d be here for my line of thought tomorrow. Got some questions to ask, hope you'd be willing to provide answers.
Oh, tomorrow?
That's fine. I'll be more than willing to provide answers the best way I can and if need be, employ the help of some very helpful friends here to provide further answers where clarity is lacking.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 11:21am On Jul 29, 2016
A Rejoinder On Office Gossip

Ken works as a cleaner in BBC Group. He's been working there for over four years now. He's seen different boards steer the ship of the company. He's watched employees come and go, he's seen many rise and fall. To some, he's just an ordinary cleaner who doesn't deserve recognition. You can't count the number of times he's greeted some staff with a smile and they never even as little as a nod replied his greeting.

But there are some nonetheless who go as far as stopping to ask how he's doing. One of such people is Ms. Hannah. Ms. Hannah has a way of reaching out to others no matter their background. Unfortunately though, Ms. Hannah has a bad habit that plagues her. And it is lateness! She's never punctual at her place of work and recently her bosses have began to see it as something they cannot put up with. One Monday morning as they sat to discuss general issues, Ms. Hannah's name was mentioned. They began deliberating on the next line of action to take. After a while they unanimously agreed to watch her for another two weeks before placing her on suspension.

Ken got wind of the decision and related it to Hannah when she got to work that day. She knew then that she was sitting on a timebomb. To save her job she had to restrategize. From that day on, she put extra effort to preparing and getting to work right on time. Last three weeks she was recognized with an award as the Most Punctual Employee of the Month cheesy

Office gossip serves a purpose. In fact, in this clime, it is one tool you need to gain mastery of. Listen to rumours and gossip - Don't comment on it, don't pass it on, don't believe it completely. But know it! Listen to it. Let me shock you with a discovery. Do you know that office assistants and support staff know so much about the organization than most of the staff do? Talk to the company driver you'll be shocked! They eavesdrop on every conversation. They've bumped into discussions they were not supposed to have heard anything about. They've been privy to some key information about the office where you work. The sad thing is a lot of us look down on them. The bitter truth is they know who is secretly winning your employer's heart and is about to get a raise. They know who is next to be laid off. They know the staff on danger zone. They know the colleague who most likely is backstabbing you.

Funny thing is, sometimes the gossip starts among them before it starts spreading. Like they say, there's no smoke without fire. Rather than act all reserved, aloof and shrug it off as nothing, be aware of it.

You call it gossip, I like to call it grapevine. Leave it or take it, it is an informal communication network in every organization. Embrace it! While everyone is looking down on support staff, you can move up easily if you treat them nicely and accord them the respect and admiration they deserve. They typically know the written and unwritten rules that can help you navigate the terrain and don't forget to share the glory with them.

Master this game early on and watch your career soar to greater heights.
Have a Fabulous Friday!

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 29, 2016
amicable09:

cheesy cheesy cheesy
I doubt you'll find the number. Hope the account balanced in the end?
I'll call again on your next birthday cheesy

The account balanced finally.

Can't find your number. Too many unknown phone numbers on my call list. Give me the last two figures of the phone number.

How did you get my number sef? The same person who gave you mine, will give me yours.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 3:07pm On Jul 29, 2016
adeaks:

The account balanced finally.

Can't find your number. Too many unknown phone numbers on my call list. Give me the last two figures of the phone number.

How did you get my number sef? The same person who gave you mine, will give me yours.
Hahahaha
S/He won't!
The last two numbers is 53.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by Lero15(m): 12:05am On Jul 30, 2016
Will read and comment later. My head full atm
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 6:43am On Jul 30, 2016
amicable09:

Oh, tomorrow?
That's fine. I'll be more than willing to provide answers the best way I can and if need be, employ the help of some very helpful friends here to provide further answers where clarity is lacking.
On this issue of office politics. I have a boss who i used to do her biddings, not because of anything but because i felt she was a leader, who is always ready to take the fall for her subordinates. But damn me, i was wrong. This woman denied me blatantly right in front of my GMD when an issue sprang up on something she "ordered" me to do. It was a major let down for me, because that almost blot the good reputation i had before my MD. Mind you, this was just a case of not copying one person in a doc i sent to the client as instructed by my line manager. The day this happened i lost all sense of respect for my boss. As a matter of fact, lots of my colleagues were of the opinion that i should have told the MD who asked me to send the doc without copying the bigger boss, but i decided to bottle it with the believe my MD knows i couldnt have sent such document without an instruction from my manager on who to copy and who not to.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 7:18am On Jul 30, 2016
amicable09:

Oh, tomorrow?
After that issue happened i realized its all man to himself and those bosses are only after saving their own a$$es and would willingly sacrifice you to climb the ladder. I had to go apologize to my director and explain things to him. He said he knew i couldnt have done such without her influence that he was only surprised my boss had to involve me in this mess because she was looking for who to take the fall for her. Thankfully, i was able to swim out of the issue but till this day the whole drama still plays in my head and i'm not sure i will ever forgive her for playing a Judas on me.
To my question, please how exactly can one deal with a boss who all she does is to make herself look good in the eyes of the client, talk down on her subordinates, wants to oversee even the littlest things on a job you've been doing for over two years. By littlest things i mean things you do month on month, things you share with the client on a daily, even while she was away in the states for four months. How do you cope with a boss who feels all that matters is her opinion and would rather see a subordinate who has an opinion as a sense of pride or thinking you know it all? Again, how do you deal with a boss who feels the only way to get things done is only with her ideas and damn what every other person think. How do you deal with a boss who bottles documents that are essential to people's growth, documents that could help propel people's career but because of the nauseating-likeness you have for yourself and your bid to protect your office against probable onslaught from your junior colleagues you decided not to share. How do you deal with a boss who believes the only way to get things done is the hard way. For instance, things you could spend 30mins to deliver, she will rather have you spend 5 hours on it, all in the name of "adding value". You work on a doc, your boss send the doc to client only blind copying you just to make it look like she was the one who worked on it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 8:06am On Jul 30, 2016
amicable09:

Oh, tomorrow?
I had my appraisal a couple weeks back and i knew she would leverage that as a perfect avenue to deal with me. She rated my core skills and efficiency above average. I told her there is no how on this green earth i would agree with anyone my efficiency on the job is above average, so i told her i wasn't going to sign. Thankfully, we were to still review with the Director and here is a man ive worked with on different projects and delivered resutls. When he saw some of the gradings he said he doesnt agree with my line manager that he's worked with me on some huge projects and believe i deserve something better. End of the day, my grading was moved to excellence. When i was fighting this battle, a couple of my colleagues opined i should have let it slide but i told them i can't, because no man can tell me my performance is above average and i'm saying this with all sense of humility. I don't shy away from publicly admitting things i am not good at, why then would i allow any man to destroy my budding career all in the name of hate. What made the whole appraisal look funny is the fact that in my first year i was graded Oustanding by the same person, are you now saying under one year i have regressed so bad such that my performance has fallen below the pecking order,' when i can easily outline areas where i have improved over the past one year. I'm saying this just to make you understand how bad it is. Sadly, there is nothing i can do at the moment. Net, i'd just have to make the move when the time is right. Remaining under a boss like this would mean one will keep doing the same boring thing everyday and ultimately remain stationary in one position. That isn't what i want for my life: i want to break new grounds, make things happen and be seen as a game-changer in whatever field i find myself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 9:22pm On Jul 30, 2016
EmmyDe25, I'll reply well tomorrow. I'm sorry today has been seriously busy for me. Tomorrow or Monday, we'll treat the issues you've raised.

In the meantime, I see Lero15 was here cheesy. My mingled boo, what do you have to say concerning the issues raised by Emmy?

1 Like

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by Lero15(m): 10:27pm On Jul 30, 2016
amicable09:
EmmyDe25, I'll reply well tomorrow. I'm sorry today has been seriously busy for me. Tomorrow or Monday, we'll treat the issues you've raised.

In the meantime, I see Lero15 was here cheesy. My mingled boo, what do you have to say concerning the issues raised by Emmy?

Lols.

OK. This is one of the major problems with female bosses. Not abusing or bullying a female gender here.

The best thing you can keep doing is what I call "notice me". Let everyone in your unit and other units, even the management, know that you are working well. Yes, you had someone who disagreed with your boss' appraisal, it might be another person next time. So be heard, speak during meetings, ask intelligent questions, make informed comments, etc.

As for your boss.... Ladies like unofficial stuffs even during official periods. Yes, I know that well! I've worked under them very well. When she is discussing such stuffs, you could make some comments too. Call her especially when she is running late or when she is out of office. If she asks why, say you just wanted to call and find out if everything is alright, etc. Ask about her family-how was your night, how is your baby, you know all those feminine stuffs.

I would have advised you to report to HR, but it's risky.
Cheers, Emmy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 1:11am On Jul 31, 2016
Lero15:

Lols.

OK. This is one of the major problems with female bosses. Not abusing or bullying a female gender here.

The best thing you can keep doing is what I call "notice me". Let everyone in your unit and other units, even the management, know that you are working well. Yes, you had someone who disagreed with your boss' appraisal, it might be another person next time. So be heard, speak during meetings, ask intelligent questions, make informed comments, etc.

As for your boss.... Ladies like unofficial stuffs even during official periods. Yes, I know that well! I've worked under them very well. When she is discussing such stuffs, you could make some comments too. Call her especially when she is running late or when she is out of office. If she asks why, say you just wanted to call and find out if everything is alright, etc. Ask about her family-how was your night, how is your baby, you know all those feminine stuffs.

I would have advised you to report to HR, but it's risky.
Cheers, Emmy.
You've made some valid points. My believe has always being about getting heard and of course making valid contributions during meetings, brainstorm sessions etc. Good thing is, my MD at every given chance do attest to my worth. Meanwhile, i am thinking maybe i could talk to my MD about being redeployed to another unit. On the other hand, i dont exactly subscribe to your point about asking her how her night went and all... not sure she's deserving of that. I think the best way to deal with people like that is to be neutral with them,' not trying to come close
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 1:25pm On Jul 31, 2016
EmmyDe25:

You've made some valid points. My believe has always being about getting heard and of course making valid contributions during meetings, brainstorm sessions etc. Good thing is, my MD at every given chance do attest to my worth. Meanwhile, i am thinking maybe i could talk to my MD about being redeployed to another unit. On the other hand, i dont exactly subscribe to your point about asking her how her night went and all... not sure she's deserving of that. I think the best way to deal with people like that is to be neutral with them,' not trying to come close
Mmmh... Emmy if you have sisters, you will know and understand how to win the heart of a female boss.

Today is somewhat tight for me but I promise that tomorrow's update will be on 'Being Your Boss' Pet' cheesy. That is the magic ingredient I see is needed to make your dish (job) taste great!

Happy Sunday.
Hope you're well rested?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 10:09pm On Jul 31, 2016
amicable09:

Mmmh... Emmy if you have sisters, you will know and understand how to win the heart of a female boss.

Today is somewhat tight for me but I promise that tomorrow's update will be on 'Being Your Boss' Pet' cheesy. That is the magic ingredient I see is needed to make your dish (job) taste great!

Happy Sunday.
Hope you're well rested?
Couldn't rest well. A friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend today. So we had to look for a befitting place for the proposal, we eventually settled for Spurs in GRA, Ikeja. But thank heaven, it went just as planned. Just got home sef and i'd be hitting my head on the pillow within the next min. I'd be waiting for your reply. Week days are always very hectic for me though, but i'd find time to come here.
Guess you are always busy. I would have expected weekends to be free for you, but it doesn't appear so.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 2:00pm On Aug 01, 2016
EmmyDe25:

Couldn't rest well. A friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend today. So we had to look for a befitting place for the proposal, we eventually settled for Spurs in GRA, Ikeja. But thank heaven, it went just as planned. Just got home sef and i'd be hitting my head on the pillow within the next min. I'd be waiting for your reply. Week days are always very hectic for me though, but i'd find time to come here.
Guess you are always busy. I would have expected weekends to be free for you, but it doesn't appear so.
Congratulations to your friend! cheesy
I'm happy for him.

Talking about busy, I'm afraid I'm beginning to beat the bees to their own game of being busy. I thought I'd be here early today to update and reply you but unfortunately, I'm just logging in now and I have less than 5 minutes to spend here.

I'll see if I can stop by before 8 today. I owe you the update. cheesy.
Enjoy the rest of the day.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 6:21am On Aug 04, 2016
amicable09:

Congratulations to your friend! cheesy
I'm happy for him.

Talking about busy, I'm afraid I'm beginning to beat the bees to their own game of being busy. I thought I'd be here early today to update and reply you but unfortunately, I'm just logging in now and I have less than 5 minutes to spend here.

I'll see if I can stop by before 8 today. I owe you the update. cheesy.
Enjoy the rest of the day.
Hi Amicable09, not a response yet from you. Hope all is well?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 8:10am On Aug 04, 2016
EmmyDe25:

Hi Amicable09, not a response yet from you. Hope all is well?
Hi Emmy, all is well. Thanks for checking on me cheesy. It's that time of the week/month when external auditors come around and start asking annoying questions over things that are so clear that even the blind can see. *sigh*

*mimicking one*
Auditor: Can I see the breakdown of XYZ account?
Me: I mailed it to you already.
Auditor: It's not detailed enough. I want the hard copy.
Me: You have it there in the voucher.
Auditor: *wears glasses, sips water* Where?
Me: There!
Auditor: *readjusts glasses* Did you say in the voucher?
Me: You're right ma'am. I said in the voucher cheesy
Auditor: Ok. One more thing! Can I get the...

I'm like, just get me madam! Get me instead!
Questions that have glaring answers drain me completely. I just can't deal with that especially when it's not a child asking.

I promise to wrap up this thread latest by tomorrow. I promise again cheesy. It's a debt I'll pay.
Hope the week's been good?

Have a terrific Thursday!

1 Like

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 5:55pm On Aug 05, 2016
Great! I made it finally!!! cheesy
I feel proud of myself right now typing this update. Not many will understand but a few might. With threads hanging in the air, uncompleted here and there, I can't help but give myself a big thumbs up cool on this one.

Let's wrap it up here tonight. Unfortunately, I have to say that this is by no means exhaustive of this subject but for the sake of having a beautiful 'end', we'll have this update tonight and leave the thread for 'matters arising'.
Feel free to drop your office baggage here.

Office politics at its worst is being a 'yes' man. Someone who is ready to sell his soul to get forward. I hope you are not that man. At its best, like I said before, it is simply knowing how to accomplish things within an organization. Understanding office politics can mean the difference between a mediocre career and a stellar rise to stardom. Look here, the trick isn't to get everyone on your side or be seen lobbying for favor here and there every minute of the hour. NO! Just be in the right book always. Have that one superior who'll have your back. Have that one colleague who can help you win. Just that one person who is capable of calling some shots. That's all you need. If everyone is against you or everyone is laughing with you, I fear for you cos' that is not a good omen at all because from experience I've come to learn that when everyone is happy with you, you are doing it wrong lipsrsealed. Trust me on this one.

Here's a quick check on you before we continue, answer these questions to yourself truthfully;
*Do you like your work, your tasks, your boss - and most of your colleagues?
* Is the pay fair? Is it commensurate to the service you are offering?
* Are you getting experiences and assignment opportunities out of this job and role that are good for your overall career and could move you forward (either where you are now or elsewhere in the long term)?
* How about networking/connections? Are you making good connections here, developing relations with co-workers, managers, clients/customers, even vendors that will be productive to your future plans?

Now, if everything asked there was answered in the negative, my question to you is, what are you still doing there? You're not happy at all and don't even try to fake it. Do something about it fast and make sure you turn that sad face sad to a happy face grin. [b]But,[/b]if all that for the most part is good, not forgetting that nothing is perfect, then brace up and become influential in critical matters in your workplace.

Most people love their jobs but are uncomfortable and frustrated by either colleagues or bosses. If it were just about the job they would have had no problems whatsoever but since we've got to deal with fellow humans who have heads without horns sticking out then we need to be in charge, keep your emotions in check and win in the game at hand.

What to do with the distractions in human form? Simple! Accept that you are not there to manage them to suit you. We are all different, therefore focus on managing your career and not managing people. Shower them with compliments. Smile at them. Make them feel good. Look for something good about them everyday and throw compliments lavishly or sparingly, if you feel it will be too generous of you cheesy. By all means make that difficult fellow happy by asking about the things that are important to them - birthday, anniversary, family, study, fashion, just anything! Look for common interests and talk about them.

Not forgetting that the plan is to rise above rivalry and build better relationships. After all is said and done, That's what counts!
Have an amazing career cruise!
See You at the Shoreline! cheesy

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 5:30am On Aug 06, 2016
amicable09:

Hi Emmy, all is well. Thanks for checking on me cheesy. It's that time of the week/month when external auditors come around and start asking annoying questions over things that are so clear that even the blind can see. *sigh*

*mimicking one*
Auditor: Can I see the breakdown of XYZ account?
Me: I mailed it to you already.
Auditor: It's not detailed enough. I want the hard copy.
Me: You have it there in the voucher.
Auditor: *wears glasses, sips water* Where?
Me: There!
Auditor: *readjusts glasses* Did you say in the voucher?
Me: You're right ma'am. I said in the voucher cheesy
Auditor: Ok. One more thing! Can I get the...

I'm like, just get me madam! Get me instead!
Questions that have glaring answers drain me completely. I just can't deal with that especially when it's not a child asking.

I promise to wrap up this thread latest by tomorrow. I promise again cheesy. It's a debt I'll pay.
Hope the week's been good?

Have a terrific Thursday!
Well, week was good. the grand standing of my line manager continues. So i decided to report her to a superior boss who was more or less the architect of my posting to that unit. I had to bare it all because i just want out of that unit so long i won't be reporting to her (I told him in confidence though, knowing full well he has the power to take me out of that team) I believe her problem is predominantly a self esteemed issue. She probably just can't stand people who think they have an opinion or people who try to make her see reasons why something should be done in another way other than hers. Sad part is, in most documents she's worked on,' i failed to see creativity or any atom of ingenuity. Why? She's the one dimensional type who doesn't see beyond her nose.
I came in on Friday morning and saw a colleague trying to wisper by name from another unit. The poor lady has been beat down by a mail from my boss, who has been supervising her(based on MD's instruction) since her manager decided to take a walk. She wrote a lengthy and quite condescending mail on how she's done "an extremely terrible job" on the document she shared with her the previous night. So she decided to put me in copy and requested i help the lady out on the project while she was away. The poor lady just couldn't hold back the tears. She started telling me about how nice her former boss was, and how she would pay through her nose to have her back. She was looking all dejected and demoralized. Had to cheer her up by making her understand this is just a flash when compared with what myself and my colleagues have been battling/wrestling with. Mind you, the lady in question is married with two kids just like my boss,' but a lil younger. Gladly, i was able to help out, although i had to side step a bunch of my deliverables for the day.
Try and respond please you've kept me waiting for eonsmiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 8:40am On Aug 06, 2016
EmmyDe25:

Well, week was good. the grand standing of my line manager continues. So i decided to report her to a superior boss who was more or less the architect of my posting to that unit. I had to bare it all because i just want out of that unit so long i won't be reporting to her (I told him in confidence though, knowing full well he has the power to take me out of that team) I believe her problem is predominantly a self esteemed issue. She probably just can't stand people who think they have an opinion or people who try to make her see reasons why something should be done in another way other than hers. Sad part is, in most documents she's worked on,' i failed to see creativity or any atom of ingenuity. Why? She's the one dimensional type who doesn't see beyond her nose.
I came in on Friday morning and saw a colleague trying to wisper by name from another unit. The poor lady has been beat down by a mail from my boss, who has been supervising her(based on MD's instruction) since her manager decided to take a walk. She wrote a lengthy and quite condescending mail on how she's done "an extremely terrible job" on the document she shared with her the previous night. So she decided to put me in copy and requested i help the lady out on the project while she was away. The poor lady just couldn't hold back the tears. She started telling me about how nice her former boss was, and how she would pay through her nose to have her back. She was looking all dejected and demoralized. Had to cheer her up by making her understand this is just a flash when compared with what myself and my colleagues have been battling/wrestling with. Mind you, the lady in question is married with two kids just like my boss,' but a lil younger. Gladly, i was able to help out, although i had to side step a bunch of my deliverables for the day.
Try and respond please you've kept me waiting for eonsmiley
Lol.
You and your line manager cheesy, she really is a thorn in your flesh grin. I would have shared a true story with you about someone exactly like her in my office but sadly, I'm not anonymous on this forum. One of my colleagues follow this thread sef *IDontKnowHowToFeel*

Here's the deal, I really hope you get posted to another unit soonest but in the meantime, I believe you can get that lady to like you. There must be someone she loves, there must be a subordinate she favors, I believe there must be. Even the toughest of men/women have their soft spot, find where it is and use it to your advantage.

First step is know your boss.
Know her well enough as to understand her insecurity. By this I mean, know the reason behind her lack of trust in her subordinate's work. It may not be because of you per se but it may have its roots in sth someone under her did years ago and she had to pay for that oversight through her nose. It may just be. If she wants to monitor what you do after giving you a task to perform, no problem. Mail her every hour with updates on the report. It's that simple. I do that.

Mail her asking for her opinion on EVERYTHING! Do it the way she wants it and make your opinions a suggestion. Suggest them to her to approve so she can feel like they are hers. Bosses like to feel in charge. Do her that honour.

Next thing, who's her doll in the office? Observe the fellow. Why does she prefer that staff over the others? Look for that reason and start showing similar traits.

Lastly, make sure you show interest in the little things she's fond of. Could be her kids. Ask about their welfare, how they are faring. Admire her jewelry and make her feel like she's the best superior ever! You'll see changes in her attitude.

I'm here today cheesy, you can be sure to get my replies once I get your mentions.

You are smart by the way. I see it in your posts cheesy.
Happy Saturday.

2 Likes

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 9:49am On Aug 06, 2016
amicable09:

Lol.
You and your line manager cheesy, she really is a thorn in your flesh grin. I would have shared a true story with you about someone exactly like her in my office but sadly, I'm not anonymous on this forum. One of my colleagues follow this thread sef *IDontKnowHowToFeel*

Here's the deal, I really hope you get posted to another unit soonest but in the meantime, I believe you can get that lady to like you. There must be someone she loves, there must be a subordinate she favors, I believe there must be. Even the toughest of men/women have their soft spot, find where it is and use it to your advantage.

First step is know your boss.
Know her well enough as to understand her insecurity. By this I mean, know the reason behind her lack of trust in her subordinate's work. It may not be because of you per se but it may have its roots in sth someone under her did years ago and she had to pay for that oversight through her nose. It may just be. If she wants to monitor what you do after giving you a task to perform, no problem. Mail her every hour with updates on the report. It's that simple. I do that.

Mail her asking for her opinion on EVERYTHING! Do it the way she wants it and make your opinions a suggestion. Suggest them to her to approve so she can feel like they are hers. Bosses like to feel in charge. Do her that honour.

Next thing, who's her doll in the office? Observe the fellow. Why does she prefer that staff over the others? Look for that reason and start showing similar traits.

Lastly, make sure you show interest in the little things she's fond of. Could be her kids. Ask about their welfare, how they are faring. Admire her jewelry and make her feel like she's the best superior ever! You'll see changes in her attitude.

I'm here today cheesy, you can be sure to get my replies once I get your mentions.

You are smart by the way. I see it in your posts cheesy.
Happy Saturday.
Thanks for FINALLY sharing your thoughts after several weeks of askingsmiley Well, i used to be one of her closest subordinate before she played a Judas on me: i shared the issue in my second post here. The minute i realized she's the type of boss who can't take the fall for her subordinates or help pull the chest nuts out of the fire, i just decided to stay on my lane....think its safer that way.
Speaking of being anonymous, not like i am entirely anonymous here either. Had to take off my picture so i won't land myself in trouble. Al though, i am not as active as i used to be, but i have friends and colleagues who are regulars on NL. Glad this post is no longer on the front page. I could have been easily called out.
By the way, thanks for the complimentsmiley I have to say, i admire your writing skills as well. Plus, you sound like the typa friends i love to make, even though i suck at it.
I have to go back to bed now, been awake since 3:30 trying to read up on a thing or two.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 10:59am On Aug 06, 2016
EmmyDe25:

Thanks for FINALLY sharing your thoughts after several weeks of askingsmiley Well, i used to be one of her closest subordinate before she played a Judas on me: i shared the issue in my second post here. The minute i realized she's the type of boss who can't take the fall for her subordinates or help pull the chest nuts out of the fire, i just decided to stay on my lane....think its safer that way.
Speaking of being anonymous, not like i am entirely anonymous here either. Had to take off my picture so i won't land myself in trouble. Al though, i am not as active as i used to be, but i have friends and colleagues who are regulars on NL. Glad this post is no longer on the front page. I could have been easily called out.
By the way, thanks for the complimentsmiley I have to say, i admire your writing skills as well. Plus, you sound like the typa friends i love to make, even though i suck at it.
I have to go back to bed now, been awake since 3:30 trying to read up on a thing or two.
Hahahaha. Thanks for the compliment too. I'm bad at keeping friends too. I make friends easily but staying in the friendship is one hell of an herculean task for me. I'm working on that though.

When I saw that finally in your post and how you stressed it, I laughed grin. Oh! you once used to be very active and popular on NL? That's sth we share in common cheesy. We are both safe now that the thread is off front page.

And yea, I remember that post. But that's in the past na, forgive her and forge ahead. Being on your lane is causing her to torment you cos you now pose as an enemy. For the sake of your career, go back to being her pal.

Rest well and thanks for keeping me company on this thread cheesy. You write like an intelligent dude in his late 20s going on 30 grin
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 2:00pm On Aug 06, 2016
amicable09:

Hahahaha. Thanks for the compliment too. I'm bad at keeping friends too. I make friends easily but staying in the friendship is one hell of an herculean task for me. I'm working on that though.

When I saw that finally in your post and how you stressed it, I laughed grin. Oh! you once used to be very active and popular on NL? That's sth we share in common cheesy. We are both safe now that the thread is off front page.

And yea, I remember that post. But that's in the past na, forgive her and forge ahead. Being on your lane is causing her to torment you cos you now pose as an enemy. For the sake of your career, go back to being her pal.

Rest well and thanks for keeping me company on this thread cheesy. You write like an intelligent dude in his late 20s going on 30 grin
Hahaha... You trying to read my age through my posts.....nice! Wish i could be younger though, poised to achieve a lot of things before i cross to the 30 side of life, but don't know if i have that ample time. We can extend the e-friendship to IM though,' provided you can be easily reached there. What do you say?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 4:00pm On Aug 06, 2016
EmmyDe25:

Hahaha... You trying to read my age through my posts.....nice! Wish i could be younger though, poised to achieve a lot of things before i cross to the 30 side of life, but don't know if i have that ample time. We can extend the e-friendship to IM though,' provided you can be easily reached there. What do you say?
Hahahaha... I didn't know the e-friendship has started already grin.

Uhm... IM? I ask which of the channels are you referring to?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 9:39pm On Aug 06, 2016
amicable09:

Hahahaha... I didn't know the e-friendship has started already grin.

Uhm... IM? I ask which of the channels are you referring to?
LOL... somehow, you can be referred to as a friend. In it? Speaking of IM, whatsapp or BBM will be fine.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 1:53pm On Aug 07, 2016
EmmyDe25:

LOL... somehow, you can be referred to as a friend. In it? Speaking of IM, whatsapp or BBM will be fine.
BBM is my most preferred.
I'll see if our e-friendship contact on IM will last longer than three months cheesy, if it does I'll buy myself an ice cold coke grin

It's a challenge now.
Leave me your pin, I'll add you. Or mail me instead.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Best Lucrative Vocation For A School Leaver? / What Was Your Experience Working For A Factory Company? / How Do You Advise Someone Who Hates His Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.