Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,213 members, 7,825,801 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:02 AM

Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride (8037 Views)

7 Proven Ways To Play Office Politics! / 7 Reasons Why You Should Keep Away From Office Politics / 3 Ways To Deal With People Who Play Office Politics Against You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by EmmyDe25(m): 9:26pm On Aug 07, 2016
amicable09:

BBM is my most preferred.
I'll see if our e-friendship contact on IM will last longer than three months cheesy, if it does I'll buy myself an ice cold coke grin

It's a challenge now.
Leave me your pin, I'll add you. Or mail me instead.
Lol... you already casting doubts.. Here is my pin sha: 5C3B0F80. The email thingy is a longer process, so i chose the easy way outsmiley Don't worry, won't be disturbing you that much except when i need your opinion on stuffs like i do right now. Typically, i spend my spare time on twitter.

1 Like

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by nuwell(m): 5:41pm On Sep 10, 2016
EmmyDe25 and amicable09, please come back and finish what you started here o.

What about that boss, Emmy and your anticipated change of unit? What's the situation now?

And amicable09, where did you learn all these workplace skills you have been sharing? Have you had cause to try out and confirm the efficacy of those strategies?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 8:30pm On Sep 10, 2016
nuwell:
EmmyDe25 and amicable09, please come back and finish what you started here o.

What about that boss, Emmy and your anticipated change of unit? What's the situation now?

And amicable09, where did you learn all these workplace skills you have been sharing? Have you had cause to try out and confirm the efficacy of those strategies?
Nuwell, it ended beautifully na cheesy
Alright, over to your questions.

Where I learnt those workplace skills. I mentioned in the beginning that I read a book on a bus grin and title of the book is 'Office Politics'. Actually, I didn't finish the whole text but I did meet the lady twice and scanned through all the chapters. It was a good read, believe me.

Have I had cause to try them and prove that they work? Absolutely! I must admit. I didn't just write things that are not practicable in Nigeria. They are everyday happenings and proven strategies in Nigeria's average offices.

Currently I'm reading 'How to excel at work' by Billi Odum and I'm loving it too. Got it from my office library.

Emmy himself shared real life challenges he is facing at work and we tried to advice him accordingly. Let's hope the advice did work cheesy
Emmyde25, over to you grin
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by Udochee(m): 8:45pm On Sep 10, 2016
amicable09
Amy the PF e-judge.abeg do and coman share more educative experiences. hope you're enjoying the rains

1 Like

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 9:32pm On Sep 10, 2016
Udochee:

Amy the PF e-judge.abeg do and coman share more educative experiences. hope you're enjoying the rains
Lol. Udo you want people to call me a bookworm? I gats to play too na and PF helps me relax at home during the weekends.

The rains, well, I'm pretending to enjoy it.

This thread needs no more update na, is that not so? But the one on JV section is clamouring for my attention. I've not had time to concentrate and finish it. You know it's unscripted. I have however decided that I'll do so in one update. I'll wrap it up soonest. I couldn't last Friday, hopefully next week, I will.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by nuwell(m): 10:41pm On Sep 10, 2016
amicable09:

Nuwell, it ended beautifully na cheesy
Alright, over to your questions.

Where I learnt those workplace skills. I mentioned in the beginning that I read a book on a bus grin and title of the book is 'Office Politics'. Actually, I didn't finish the whole text but I did meet the lady twice and scanned through all the chapters. It was a good read, believe me.

Have I had cause to try them and prove that they work? Absolutely! I must admit. I didn't just write things that are not practicable in Nigeria. They are everyday happenings and proven strategies in Nigeria's average offices.

Currently I'm reading 'How to excel at work' by Billi Odum and I'm loving it too. Got it from my office library.

Emmy himself shared real life challenges he is facing at work and we tried to advice him accordingly. Let's hope the advice did work cheesy
Emmyde25, over to you grin

The practicability of the ideas here are not in doubt. Just that you seem to have become quite adept at applying them, judging from your assertiveness.

You kinda remind me of that meme where there are toddlers in overalls and safety helmets, and which usually has a text tag of something of this nature: 'when you employers want you to have 10 years experience and be 20 years old. grin

Or you must be really ancient then. Jus' saying wink
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2016
nuwell:

The practicability of the ideas here are not in doubt. Just that you seem to have become quite adept at applying them, judging from your assertiveness.

You kinda remind me of that meme where there are toddlers in overalls and safety helmets, and which usually has a text tag of something of this nature: 'when you employers want you to have 10 years experience and be 20 years old. grin

Or you must be really ancient then. Jus' saying wink
Lol. Oh! I get what you mean cheesy
You want to know if I have 20 years of experience abi? Lol. Some of us don't need gray hair to be wise. We are gifted in our youth cheesy, that's what this is about.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by agrovick(m): 8:39pm On Jan 16, 2017
amicable09:

Sisi Siju, I'd check that song of yours. You seem to have a thing for oldies or the song is just a one off thing?

If you are light skinned, I will sing you Omo pupa by Victor Olaiya. grin

Trust you had a great day, do forgive my absence I was irregular of recent, it would have been difficult to keep a correspondence going.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 10:13pm On Jan 16, 2017
agrovick:

Sisi Siju, I'd check that song of yours. You seem to have a thing for oldies or the song is just a one off thing?

If you are light skinned, I will sing you Omo pupa by Victor Olaiya. grin

Trust you had a great day, do forgive my absence I was irregular of recent, it would have been difficult to keep a correspondence going.
Lol.
You reopened this thread eh? You could have mentioned me in the chatroom instead, the air there is cooler than here cheesy

I'll mention you there now.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by agrovick(m): 10:45pm On Jan 16, 2017
amicable09:

Lol.
You reopened this thread eh? You could have mentioned me in the chatroom instead, the air there is cooler than here cheesy

I'll mention you there now.

Wipes face tongue

1 Like

Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by LxgIncrediboy(m): 11:47am On Feb 06, 2017
amicable09:
Let me start first by saying every office is political. And Politics is not a dirty word! cool

In this part of the world where every problem stems from a suspected enemy of progress and how some may be inclined to going the voodoo way, I'm here to say politics can be played without involving a babalawo or onye dibia grin. Take your mind off carrying a talisman to work please.

Now that we've established this fact, can we have some real talk Mr/Ms career cruiser? Navigating the murky waters of office politics can be either disastrous or delightful. I have watched and observed with keen interest every time a person gets employed into an organization, there is an advise that the fellow will never escape from friends and family members and it is 'BEWARE OF OFFICE POLITICS!'. Prior to this time, I thought it meant stay away from every bad company in the office. Don't join the bandwagon. Don't be a party to rumour mongering and all those kind of stuff but today right on a bus ride I learnt something new. I understood the concept better and a particular chapter caught my eye. I'll tell you about it.

While on a bus this morning, I met with a lady I had boarded the same bus with last week and with smile on our faces, I greeted my acquaintance good morning. Excitedly, she opened her bag and pulled out a book mischievously and handed it over to me. I laughed. All the other passengers looked at us with an unknowing look wondering what both ladies who just met themselves on a public bus could possibly be giggling about. What they failed to see was the spirit. We had met a week before and even though it was my first time seeing her in the bus, her book drew me to her, when I requested to see the cover page and she handed it to me, I almost begged a total stranger to 'dash' me her book! cool. I wanted it. The title alone was to die for! So this morning, she didn't wait for me to ask before she surrendered the book cheesy. Isn't she lovely? wink

I learnt a great deal from that book and it prompted me to start a discussion here.
Politics I have learnt is not always noxious. It is simply knowing how to accomplish things within the organization. In every office, you'll have to deal with petty games, you'll have to deal with gossip (spicy and juicy ones *winks), there is also the power struggle and turf wars among others. You see? Whether you love politics or not, the game has to be played. Loosing is not even an option as winning is the only way to go.

There are some colleagues you'll have who may thrive in hoarding vital information. You may have a boss who nitpicks on everything you do. You may also have to battle with trust issues in your place of work if you have some conniving 'slicks' around you. Let me make you laugh with this one. You may also have to get along in some way with that colleague who derives pleasure in bathing inside his bottle of perfume every morning and evening at work.

Navigating office politics requires common sense, courtesy and compromise. When you have a colleague who gossip a lot and is neither here nor there, always looking for words from your mouth to take to the next person or who's always trying to paint your work bad in the eyes of your boss, you need to watch it. Learn when to shut up and how to leave. I'll leave you with the words of Will Rogers who said;

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip."

Chew these words until I come with another lesson on how to be your boss' pet wink cos yours truly is striving to be one. cheesy
Happy Career Cruise!

*Don't forget to hint us on how you are navigating through yours, I'll love to hear*
And yet you refuse to tell us the title of the book?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 4:12pm On Feb 06, 2017
LxgIncrediboy:
And yet you refuse to tell us the title of the book?
I'm sorry but you never asked.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by LxgIncrediboy(m): 5:29pm On Feb 06, 2017
amicable09:

I'm sorry but you never asked.

I just did undecided
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 5:40pm On Feb 06, 2017
LxgIncrediboy:
I just did undecided
You just accused me undecided
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by LxgIncrediboy(m): 7:17pm On Feb 06, 2017
amicable09:

You just accused me undecided
Lol... I'm beginning to run out of patience. Just tell me already?
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by amicable09(f): 7:56pm On Feb 06, 2017
LxgIncrediboy:

Lol... I'm beginning to run out of patience. Just tell me already?
Lol. I find this comment hilarious grin
Run out of patience with me over what? cheesy

That means you can't relate with me for long in real life. I stretch people and push them to the wall many times. I drive many nuts grin

That's what makes me ME! cheesy
But I'm in good spirits tonight, so I'll just hit the hammer on the nail tongue

Book title - HBR Guide to Office Politics by Karen Dillon.
Re: Office Politics - Bookfest On A Bus Ride by LxgIncrediboy(m): 8:19pm On Feb 06, 2017
amicable09:

Lol. I find this comment hilarious grin
Run out of patience with me over what? cheesy

That means you can't relate with me for long in real life. I stretch people and push them to the wall many times. I drive many nuts grin

That's what makes me ME! cheesy
But I'm in good spirits tonight, so I'll just hit the hammer on the nail tongue

Book title - HBR Guide to Office Politics by Karen Dillon.
wehdoneMa Thanks all the same
angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Advise Someone Who Hates His Job? / Best Lucrative Vocation For A School Leaver? / What Was Your Experience Working For A Factory Company?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.