Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,102 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis (51063 Views)

Father Asked His Son To Have A Haircut. Then The Son Did This (Photos) / Lady Cursed For Being Pregnant Out Of Wedlock Becomes Family's Breadwinner / My Wife's Sister Sneaked Out Of NYSC Camp & Came Into Our House, This Happened (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by nadigo(m): 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2016
baby124:

There is something like illegitimate children. We are not getting anywhere as you fail to read. If it hurts that you are an illegitimate child, then too bad. But if your father did not marry your mother then you are illegitimate. Now, back to our argument, the wife is entitled to live in her husband's jointly occupied property and even will it on her death. That still stands. I am talking about the sharing of other properties, the spouse is entitled to a bigger share than the kids. You better not go and fight your father's WIFE over her property because you will lose big time and come out with a smaller share than you thought. You think those people getting married are just throwing a party? Your comments show that you have no idea what a marriage is and what it protects or provides each spouse. No law in this world will support you stealing your father's WIFE's jointly occupied property. Read up on Community property. You know nothing Excuseme.

Not true ma

1 Like

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by baby124: 7:23pm On Jul 28, 2016
[quote author=olaboy1 post=47975300][/quote]
DNA only proves biological relationship, having a child and not getting married makes a child illegitimate. In some countries the child will lose rights to property and other entitlements. Your child is illegitimate if you do not marry the mother. Period.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by olumaxi(m): 7:23pm On Jul 28, 2016
tongue
AnonyNymous:

Behave yourself
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by july66: 7:25pm On Jul 28, 2016
Agunna1:
Lawyers Please Help A Depressed Soul: What Does The Law Say?

I am a known and regular commenter on Nairaland, I created this account just for this.
Hear my story.

My dad died few years ago and in my house we are all girls. My dad has a boy (now a married man) whom he gave birth to when he was very young out of wedlock from another woman before marrying my mum. Meanwhile the boy grew up in our house, we didn't even know he wasn't our blood brother until I finished secondary school, to show you how tight the relationship was. Before my dad died from his sickness, the boy started acting up, giving people the impression that there is trouble in the family because he is from another woman, even during my dad's burial, well that's a story for another day.

My dad has only one house, 2 - 3 bedroom semi-detached flats. We are staying in one of the flats even before my dad died. Now, as my mum traveled and came back, the boy has padlocked the flat we are staying and rented the other flat to an unknown tenant.

Traditionally, they say women do not have a share in the property of a man. This traditional law does it include my mum who has been staying in that house with her husband before his death? Now, does it mean my mum and my remaining single sister ( we are all married except her) are not going to enter the house in which we have been staying over the years? Does he want my mum to stay in the bush or what? Please, what does the Law say about this type of issue? What does the Igbo traditional law and the English law say about this?

My mum never wanted to make any form of trouble initially but I think this is the height of the whole thing, and we are now ready to go to any length he wants us to go to.

Please Lawyers do you advise my mum to go to court? If the case is in the Law court, are they going to seal off the house knowing fully well that is where my mum stays?

Mods, please help move to front page. We need urgent advice asap. Interested lawyers should please contact me.
this is an act of wickedness. He is an hungry man otherwise he shouldn't lock out your mother. He out to allow you get married & leave d house & be patient & respect your mum to grow old to join ancestors before taking possession. Anything short of that is madness & greed.

1 Like

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by skuribeebo: 7:44pm On Jul 28, 2016
Your mum made a big mistake, she should have poisoned /killed the stupid son of a bitch.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by olaboy1: 8:33pm On Jul 28, 2016
Baby 124, no matter how much we try to distance you away from your African mentality that children born out of wedlock are not considered illegitimate in most of sane countries in the world, the more you shove this your jingoistic view on everyone without any credibile links of such countries, the more ignorant you appear.

Pls don't use your village laws to judge the rest of the world... Thank you
Someone has even quoted the section of the law that states that no children should be discriminated against as a result of how they were born, what more do you need.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Pillyportions(f): 8:48pm On Jul 28, 2016
If u dont hav any good advise to give you shut up.
olumaxi:
I knw say na dem....our IPOB brodas...if they r not on death row in indonesia,they ll b in nigeria tryin to make anoda man's property theirs
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by baby124: 9:07pm On Jul 28, 2016
olaboy1:
Baby 124, no matter how much we try to distance you away from your African mentality that children born out of wedlock are not considered illegitimate in most of sane countries in the world, the more you shove this your jingoistic view on everyone without any credibile links of such countries, the more ignorant you appear.

Pls don't use your village laws to judge the rest of the world... Thank you
Someone has even quoted the section of the law that states that no children should be discriminated against as a result of how they were born, what more do you need.
Even in your America:
http://info.legalzoom.com/rights-illegitimate-children-inherit-estate-deceased-father-21154.html
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by LKO(m): 9:35pm On Jul 28, 2016
sotadegrt:
At dis juncture, it has become imperative hitting the nail on the head. Even if d world brks, fact remains that we are in a man's world. We cannot trade away our dear culture for some western babaric shit called law. Analysing d issue critically without fear or favour, it seem there has been a lingering family feud. Ur father should have seen dis coming nd shud hav opted for a will. U and ur sis wit ur mum on ur part should hav accorded d boy his deserved respect so as to wash away such evil thought frm his mind. In my urhobo custom here, d boy has no right to chase ur mother frm d house since it is nw his duty to take care of ur mother nd automatically becoming a step dad to u. Houses nd land are nt shared to females in urhobo custom because after their demise, their sons nd daughters(anoda man's children). wil nw cum nd b forming jamesbond. D boy goofed big time padlocking the door nd trying to chase ur mother away. D family should step in, else....... Waiting for some persons to cum tel me hw backward i am irrationally

U have limited knowledge of the Urhobo culture. Learn to walk before u run please. Female children do inherits houses and lands in Urhobo culture. But if for instance, the late man has only few houses and many kids, the male kids are usually favoured to inherit houses in the circumstance.

There is no illegitimate child as far as Nigeria constitution is concerned. Whether the mother of the guy is legally married or not is immaterial. Being the first son put him in an advantaged position. Since the building has two flats, it is proper for the woman and her daughters to take one and the other given to the guy.

1 Like

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by xxxtedyxxx(m): 9:52pm On Jul 28, 2016
olumaxi:
I knw say na dem....our IPOB brodas...if they r not on death row in indonesia,they ll b in nigeria tryin to make anoda man's property theirs
Ode
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Coolgent(m): 9:56pm On Jul 28, 2016
"Traditionally, they say women do not have a share in the property of a man"
Which kind culture or religion is this for God sake!
In Islam both Boys & gals can inherit their father/mother assets.l, Wife/husband can from each other.
I.e when a man died leaving 2boys 5gals and two wives.
He left an assets of 10millions
The sharing formular is as follows:
1. 2wives will get 1over8 1.250millions.
The remaining 8.750million divided by 14 = 625,000
2. Each gal wil get 625,000
3. Each boy wil get 1.250million.
In a nutshell Male will get double of what girl wil have.
This is fair enough

1 Like

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Pidggin(f): 10:03pm On Jul 28, 2016
This story is obviously fabricated. Not that it cannot happen to someone in real life but the OP has fabricated this story.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by olumaxi(m): 10:57pm On Jul 28, 2016
xxxtedyxxx:
Ode
heeya,pele o
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by olumaxi(m): 10:58pm On Jul 28, 2016
Pillyportions:
If u dont hav any good advise to give you shut up.
heeya...sorry for ur loss
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by greggng: 11:54pm On Jul 28, 2016
I was gonna ask where is the mother of ur brother? I suspect that guy was badly treated by ur mum. No one can love u better than ur biological mum. The guy is on a revenge mission. However he is being childish. That you ve gained entrance now doesn't solve any problem. A family meeting needs to be called to settle everything including his status as the first child of ur father. You ve better start seeing him as ur big brother now.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by cjfavour(m): 3:06am On Jul 29, 2016
vodutive:
does Ibo traditional law not state that since your father did not marry his mother he belongs to his mother's family?

That's nt Igbo culture. The son or child must always go to the father. Whether married to d mother or not.

Meanwhile sis, I'm an igbo man. Take my advice. Your half brother was misinformed. He does not have any right to eject your mother from the house she was living with her husband. If he tell your tenants to start paying him house rent, it will be another matter bt to eject your mother from d flat is wrong and unacceptable. Be informed dt there is a recent supreme court case dt says dt a girl child has equal right of inheriting her fathers property. Bt my own question on dt is does d supreme court have d right to change people's culture?
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by cjfavour(m): 3:13am On Jul 29, 2016
You're on point.

baby124:

There is something like illegitimate children. We are not getting anywhere as you fail to read. If it hurts that you are an illegitimate child, then too bad. But if your father did not marry your mother then you are illegitimate. Now, back to our argument, the wife is entitled to live in her husband's jointly occupied property and even will it on her death. That still stands. I am talking about the sharing of other properties, the spouse is entitled to a bigger share than the kids. You better not go and fight your father's WIFE over her property because you will lose big time and come out with a smaller share than you thought. You think those people getting married are just throwing a party? Your comments show that you have no idea what a marriage is and what it protects or provides each spouse. No law in this world will support you stealing your father's WIFE's jointly occupied property. Read up on Community property. You know nothing Excuseme.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by cjfavour(m): 3:15am On Jul 29, 2016
You're 100% correct. You've said it all.

DLioness:
Under the Nigerian Legal System, the kind of marriage btw ur dad and ur mum wl play a role in determining issues. If ur dad and ur mum did marriage undr the Act and ur fada died wtout a Will, the first prsn entitld to letter of administratn of the entire estate is ur mum. If it is only customary marriage btw ur dad and mum, the cot is bound by ur customary law only to the extnt dt the custom is nt repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience.

In eida case, u ve a legal rit and the cot wl mst likly cm to ur aid.

1 Like

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by olaboy1: 4:54am On Jul 29, 2016
Yes cjfavour the law of Nigeria supersedes any culture or traditional law. Our law makers swore to the pledge of democracy to respect and uphold the constitution of Nigeria, and not any laws in their respective villages.

This case is not a village matter anyway, it's a case of legality on inheritance as enshrined in the Nigerian constitution. This is also an eye opener to many Nigerians to understand the problems of inheritance, people have been killed because of mundane things like properties, families in disarray, unending siblings rivalries.

Writing a will is still the best way to go and keep all property document in the bank, not in your cupboard where one gluttonous son would lay his hand on it. Children are getting more greedy these days, rather than work hard and drive a small Toyota Corolla, they want to cruise and oppress on Range Rover sport. My father would tell us then in Yoruba (ki enikankan ma gbe oju le ogun mi) meaning no child should rely on any inheritance, he went on saying he has given us the best education anyone could have. Those words stuck in my brain and I worked harder to get to where I am today.

2 Likes

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Chuksgeo: 8:01am On Jul 29, 2016
vodutive:
does Ibo traditional law not state that since your father did not marry his mother he belongs to his mother's family?

exactly, and even if he wants to truely claim right in your late father's house, your father's brothers with your mother's consent will have to go and pay for his mother's bride price. my advise just get a good lawyer, the customary will handle this effectivelyq
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Chuksgeo: 8:01am On Jul 29, 2016
vodutive:

exactly, and even if he wants to truely claim right in your late father's house, your father's brothers with your mother's consent will have to go and pay for his mother's bride price. my advise just get a good lawyer, the customary will handle this effectively
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by josite: 8:02am On Jul 29, 2016
Out of wedlock and u are inside wedlock. He is right in locking all of u out so all of u can be outside the locked house. Yeye dey smell. He is the Dawodu.U beta beg him. Na phase one u see o. Phase two is coming
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Chukwudi718(m): 8:02am On Jul 29, 2016
Will comment in a bit.. Hope my advise will be of help to you...
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Sprintson(m): 8:03am On Jul 29, 2016
Op very good but you are making a very big mistake by leaving him to act before he's apprehended.
Am no lawyer here but settles this issue now before it gets out of hand and know ye that he may have the support of one or two uncles so the best bet is to believe in the rule of law..sue him now since he's illegitimate and truly he's an ingrate....get a police backup.....email me on akeredolud@gmail.com

Ingrates like this should not be dismissed by the wave of hand. They can go father than you can imagine
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by VajanahDischaj(f): 8:16am On Jul 29, 2016
DLioness:
stop speakn ur imaginations. All facilities ar in place. There is the department of legal aid undr the ministry of justice. Evry lawyer is mandatd to undertk pro bono cases as oftn as possibl so wat is ur frustration all abt?
STORY STORY!!!
Not in Nigeria I know of!
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by DLioness(f): 9:24am On Jul 29, 2016
VajanahDischaj:
STORY STORY!!!
Not in Nigeria I know of!
I am a Nigerian lawyer. U cn as well go and confirm wat I ve tld u. As a mata of fact a person cn nt be a SAN unless the prsn has undertakn pro bono cases. I dnt lik wn ppl conclude tins without confirmatn.

1 Like

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by VajanahDischaj(f): 11:19am On Jul 29, 2016
DLioness:
I am a Nigerian lawyer. U cn as well go and confirm wat I ve tld u. As a mata of fact a person cn nt be a SAN unless the prsn has undertakn pro bono cases. I dnt lik wn ppl conclude tins without confirmatn.
all these ones are only talk for book.

are u trying to say if i visit the court to open file for person wey dupe me, dem go answer me ?
how many ppl don win land case with no stress?i mean those with not enough money to run around.
see as our schools dey even hold our transcripts for no reason, just for us to keep on paying each time we make a request for it . why?
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by chigoizie7(m): 11:37am On Jul 29, 2016
Agunna1:
Lawyers Please Help A Depressed Soul: What Does The Law Say?

I am a known and regular commenter on Nairaland, I created this account just for this.
Hear my story.

My dad died few years ago and in my house we are all girls. My dad has a boy (now a married man) whom he gave birth to when he was very young out of wedlock from another woman before marrying my mum. Meanwhile the boy grew up in our house, we didn't even know he wasn't our blood brother until I finished secondary school, to show you how tight the relationship was. Before my dad died from his sickness, the boy started acting up, giving people the impression that there is trouble in the family because he is from another woman, even during my dad's burial, well that's a story for another day.

My dad has only one house, 2 - 3 bedroom semi-detached flats. We are staying in one of the flats even before my dad died. Now, as my mum traveled and came back, the boy has padlocked the flat we are staying and rented the other flat to an unknown tenant.

Traditionally, they say women do not have a share in the property of a man. This traditional law does it include my mum who has been staying in that house with her husband before his death? Now, does it mean my mum and my remaining single sister ( we are all married except her) are not going to enter the house in which we have been staying over the years? Does he want my mum to stay in the bush or what? Please, what does the Law say about this type of issue? What does the Igbo traditional law and the English law say about this?

My mum never wanted to make any form of trouble initially but I think this is the height of the whole thing, and we are now ready to go to any length he wants us to go to.

Please Lawyers do you advise my mum to go to court? If the case is in the Law court, are they going to seal off the house knowing fully well that is where my mum stays?

Mods, please help move to front page. We need urgent advice asap. Interested lawyers should please contact me.

To the best of my knowledge as regards to igbo tradition on inheritance.

As long as the legally married wife of the man is still alive, she still has the custody of the house till she dies.

Let your mother get the kindred to throw those tenants outta the house.

Traditionally and legally, your step brother is very wrong.

2 Likes

Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by chiochio1(m): 12:58pm On Jul 29, 2016
Sorry for the delay, I have not been online for days as i have been so busy handling alot of legal issues too.

If You Igbo and lives within Anambra state you have to come to my office to enable me proceed with this very matter.

Thank you.
Barrister Steve Kadmon.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by Cutehector(m): 11:23am On Aug 01, 2016
Rukkydelta:
Op take heart o

One of the reasons I can't marry a Baby-papa
here is the voting link. please vote falconey. thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/3261218/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-elimination/5#48081186 voting link.
Re: The Son My Late Dad Had Out Of Wedlock Locked My Mum Out Of Our House, Pls Advis by KINGinVAHALA: 3:47pm On Aug 03, 2016
Amelian:

Thanks dear
Am happy too.... Very happy... Thats where i got money to setup my biz. While
Hes in rehab sad due to drugs and am still d one paying his hospital bills sad angry
Hes sober nw, no more money to squander fooliishly... He now realise am his sister sad

Its good for one to work hard and earn money.. smiley

Hi Sweet, I guess you are aware of the ongoing Mr nairaland contest? please I badly need your vote right now, voting is currently ongoing and it would end by 6pm.

just click on the link below to vote, then type

I VOTE KINGinVAHALA
cc NLJega

https://www.nairaland.com/3265483/mr-nairaland-contest-2016-semi-final/18#48147586

Thanks and expecting to see your vote as soon as possible.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Guidelines For Unemployed Husbands With Working Wives / 37-Year-Old Ugandan Woman Gives Birth To 38 Children Since Age 13 (Photos) / Man Catches His Wife Cheating With Another Man In Their Bedroom - Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.