Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,463 members, 7,830,315 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential (2006 Views)

Inconsequential Portfolios Given To Ndigbo, Ohaneze, Njiko Igbo Alledges. / Bombardment Of Sambisa Forest Inconsequential And Irrelevant / MEND’s Adoption Of Buhari Inconsequential – Ijaw Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by adconline(m): 7:59am On Dec 07, 2006
Going by what Information Minister, Frank Nweke said on VOA " Nigerians Abroad are Inconsequential"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by EvilSlayer(m): 8:03am On Dec 07, 2006
I'll be right back to answer your post, I need to go check my dictionary all this big English is too much me cry
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by chimaze(m): 8:46am On Dec 07, 2006
adconline:

Going by what Information Minister, Frank Nweke said on VOA " Nigerians Abroad are Inconsequential"

It is quite a harsh way of describing Nigerians abroad. That is if he (Frank Nweke) really made that statement.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by adconline(m): 8:56am On Dec 07, 2006
@chimaze
Are u Frank's advocate, do you have anything to suggest otherwise that he never said such.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Afam(m): 9:58am On Dec 07, 2006
Maybe it will help to know the context the statement was made so as not to assume too much.

In my opinion, every Nigerian has the right to talk about Nigeria but in doing so he/she should be factual and should have a fair understanding of what is happening in the country not sometimes wrong statements that have no foundations whatsoever.

In reality, Nigerians abroad cannot do much regardless of what they say, the onus lies with Nigerians living in Nigeria to effect changes because they are the ones that are directly affected by the good governance or otherwise.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by otokx(m): 6:49pm On Dec 07, 2006
Afam is right, we have to consider the context in which it was said and not just lift the statement.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by LoverBwoy(m): 9:19pm On Dec 07, 2006
Afam:

Maybe it will help to know the context the statement was made so as not to assume too much.

In my opinion, every Nigerian has the right to talk about Nigeria but in doing so he/she should be factual and should have a fair understanding of what is happening in the country not sometimes wrong statements that have no foundations whatsoever.

In reality, Nigerians abroad cannot do much regardless of what they say, the onus lies with Nigerians living in Nigeria to effect changes because they are the ones that are directly affected by the good governance or otherwise.

Excellent
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by alarinka(m): 9:42pm On Dec 07, 2006
, you should note that frank nweke has these inferioritex [b][/by compl]all over him, esp when he talks in uk[his usual base],
just listened to VOA now as typical of most Nigerian official, he said he was quoted out of context, HABA, for my fellow pals in the diaspo, the man has 5 months more with his heart of africa project, i think he should start with the heart of frank project, is he married??
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by adconline(m): 5:33am On Dec 08, 2006
Why does anyone have to vouch for  Mr Nweke?  He said what most people in  political class think. Your votes don't count but we need your money and skills. Can mind readers tell me the context  he used to assert that disparaging statement.  I don't blame him,  he is in a country where meritocracy does not hold. That's why  Nigeria has never had a  university graduate as  a president.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by wiseguy(m): 10:15am On Dec 08, 2006
Well, well, well. If Nweke made such a statement then it is most unfortunate. I would forgive any old politician who makes such a statement but not someone as young as Nweke who the numerous youth of the nation should look up to and who should ensure the generational shift form old to young. If someone as him thinks this way at a time that Nigerians both home and abroad wants to particpate in the political process of their nation, then it is quite sad indeed. What Nweke should be doing is pushing the govt to ensure that there are platform for nigerians abroad to vote and their votes counted.

I stand to be corrected that Nigeria is one country that has one of the highest number of her nationals living abroad and that should make any govt lose sleep and try to do something about it. Nigerians abroad should not be begging to vote or participate in the political process, they should be begged. The govt should learn how to treat the nigerian with much love and respect because without the nigerian, there would not be nigeria for the govt to exist in the first place. The govt should take an example from US who makes sure, as much as possible, that their nationals wherever they reside (including the US marines at war in other countries) vote and their votes counted.

I know so many nigerians who live abroad who will rush back home as soon as there is little improvement in the socio-economic and political lives of nigerians where they are sure of atleast having three meals per day and take care of other neccessary needs. When the neccesary climate and structure is in place, many abroad will come back to nigeria in droves. I don't live abroad but I have friends abroad. Yes they make a living there but they don't enjoy being second class citizens.

If this statement where to credited to a US govt official, I can asure you that there would be so much pressure until he apologizes or forced to resign. For now, I have not confirmed Nweke actually made such statement or whether he was quoted out of context. But whatever be the case, such a statement coming from any nigerian (not just Nweke or any other govt official) is very unfortunate and sad.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Afam(m): 11:39am On Dec 08, 2006
@adconline,

Na wah ooo. It is not about vouching for Nweke, it is about making it clear what he said and the context.

I am sure you got this information from the media and the statement wasn't the only one he made throughout the duration of the interview.

We need to know what exactly he said, how he said it and why otherwise, we may end up attacking the man for nothing.

@Wiseguy,

I do not agree with you that Nigerians should beg those abroad to participate in the political process. Why should the government do so? Your votes will ultimately make much sense where it affects you directly.

Well since you admit that he have not confirmed that he actually made the statement and in what context the statement was made, the other issues you raised may be taken in good faith.

I think it is in everyone's best interest to focus on facts at all times lest we fight wars that we need not fight. Innocent people have died based on incorrect information in the past. We need to seek a new path.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 08, 2006
stand to be corrected that Nigeria is one country that has one of the highest number of her nationals living abroad and that should make any govt lose sleep and try to do something about it. Nigerians abroad should not be begging to vote or participate in the political process, they should be begged. The govt should learn how to treat the nigerian with much love and respect because without the nigerian

Is this guy serious?, How can a human being in his right mind expect to be begged to vote?

You can't eat your cake and have it. How can you run away from the country at the worst times, leave your slaves to drudge it out and then expect to be treated as consequential. The Nigerians in the country right now living it through thick and thin are the consequential ones and deserve all of my respect. You and I who decide to run away and talk about it online? inconsequential. It's like a kid leaving his father's house when it's on fire and expects respect when the fire is out because after all it's his father's house. Such a  kid is stupid and should thank God if he ever gets half a bedroom in the house. You got the point.

There are people who are abroad just for the moment and expect to return even if there is no reasonable improvement because they expect to make a difference. Then there the dolts who say they will never go back unless the place improves, who is there to improve the country for you? Your improvement slaves?
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by lewa(m): 5:18pm On Dec 09, 2006
Yea so they say?However we remit $1bn yearly back home- think of that!
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by LoverBwoy(m): 5:37pm On Dec 09, 2006
I'm not making an excuse for looting but I can tolerate it if you loot and invest in Nigeria. Arik Air employs Nigerians and is contributing to our economy. Atleast he's better than those who loot and stash it abroad.

I suppose OBJ has figured that Odili has looted all he can so he'll be motivated the lead the country well, who knows? Bunch of criminals we have in politics.

and a what sort of person makes this kind of statement; a consequential dolt ?
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 09, 2006
Don't be an idiot, the guy is corrupt. If you weigh your options, a corrupt one who stashes the money abroad or the one who invests in Nigeria?, I choose the one who invests in Nigeria because it's the lesser of two evils, which one do you choose?

lewa:

Yea so they say?However we remit $1bn yearly back home- think of that!

Foreigners invest more than that yearly in Nigeria, you can't run away from your homeland and leave it to whoever to take care of then expect to be consequential.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by lewa(m): 9:02pm On Dec 09, 2006
How much FDI comes into Nigeria?The $1bn has a multiplier effect on the economy!This is how much Nigerians repatriate yearly though the issue of politics leaves us powerless be cause Nweke himself like me doen't belong to the select class of political script writers, producers and directors that determine what would happen in Umahia or Abeokuta or better still Lafia!
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 09, 2006
I will say FDI has even more of a multiplier effect. Your brother sends money, you pocket it, pay school fees and that's it. Investments are more multiplicative than consumption and that's as close as you can get to the fact.

How much you remit does not change the idea anyway so it doesn't matter.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by lewa(m): 9:12pm On Dec 09, 2006
Yea so !But not all monies "remited" goes into pockets and for paying school fees!What of real estate, agrarian puropses, transportation business and the like!I don't think FDI would be more than $2.5 BN anyways
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Nobody: 9:15pm On Dec 09, 2006
I'll assume most remittances are used for consumption, just off my observations.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by lewa(m): 9:17pm On Dec 09, 2006
I just did a quick check and FDI is around $9bn!Guess my figure was quite low!Anyways majority might be consumptive in nature
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 09, 2006
I even thought it was going to be more than that, all the oil companies and etcetera.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by lewa(m): 9:36pm On Dec 09, 2006
No.I could give the link though!
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by adconline(m): 9:53pm On Dec 10, 2006
How much FDI goes back to its originating countries?100% . Nigerians send money to Naija and it stays. Nigerian economy (if it has any) is sustained informally by Nigerian masses. FDI companies are involved in capital flight. Nweke's statement could further be expanded to say that Nigerians are inconsequential because politician rig elections without massive revolt, loot the treasury without any consequence, they dont build schools, roads, hospitals etc without any form of protest. They are telling Nigerians living in Nigerians that politicians are mightier than masses. In Nigerian politics, a politician is mightier than a state as exemplified by Adebidu and Uba. Nigerians really don’t matter because they are gutless to challenge their government
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by gigitte(f): 3:03am On Dec 11, 2006
i truly believe that nigerians abroad myself included who dont know have any plans of returning to nigeria and improving the country are inconsequential.

so you send money home for your brother to do business, pay school fees yadda yadda yadda, so tht he can be successful and later maybe him and/or his kids will emigrate from nigeria, how does that help the country in the long run.

ppl should just admit that they dont have enough spirit to tough it out like the nigerians in nigeria, they work overseas and come and retire to a nice three level house in lekki or ikoyi, they think they have done their part by raising nigerian americans and such to add to the west's wealth and by giving money for their village improvement fund.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Nobody: 4:15am On Dec 11, 2006
@gigitte

We need more honest people like you in this world! grin
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by iice(f): 5:35am On Dec 11, 2006
na wa o
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by adconline(m): 8:04am On Dec 11, 2006
Nigerians abroad and Nigerians in Nigeria are some kind of two parallels. Most Naija in Naija will easily think that you are not conversant with happenings in Naija. They think you ve got tons of money to throw around which is not always the case. If you tell a Nigerian man that I got a PhD he will tell u my wife has a PhD and I paid for her college education
As for Nigerians in Diaspora, some of them think that will shove everyone aside with their education and money only to find out that you have to do things the Naija way setup by Naija in Naija for you to have it easy. Okonjo Iweala learned her lesson through Naija way.

It’s erroneous to think that Nigerians who live abroad can fight it out in Naija. Its most people's dream to leave that country and seek for a better may become back to Nigeria later. He who fights and runs, lives to fight for another day. Whether we accept it or Nigerians in general don’t matter to politicians because they can do anything without any political price. Nigerians do not matter, that why Frank Nweke could say that without any political price, that’s why Borishade is still a cabinet minister, that's why Ubas can afford to make Anambra their estate, that's why Adedibu can impeach a governor, that's why Benin ore road is not motorable this xmass season even though elections are next year that's why 2007 general elections candidates are selected. The list is endless. Here is a question, can you tell me anything the Nigerian masses have won against this government? Fuel prices to Third term to impeachment. Nigerian people are hapless, helpless and powerless.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Afam(m): 4:03pm On Dec 11, 2006
gigitte:

i truly believe that nigerians abroad myself included who don't know have any plans of returning to nigeria and improving the country are inconsequential.

so you send money home for your brother to do business, pay school fees yadda yadda yadda, so that he can be successful and later maybe him and/or his kids will emigrate from nigeria, how does that help the country in the long run.

people should just admit that they don't have enough spirit to tough it out like the nigerians in nigeria, they work overseas and come and retire to a nice three level house in lekki or ikoyi, they think they have done their part by raising nigerian americans and such to add to the west's wealth and by giving money for their village improvement fund.

Need we say more? Very sincere assessment from someone that should ordinarily object to or attack the minister even though we do not have the complete statement yet
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by adconline(m): 4:14pm On Dec 11, 2006
@Afam,
why dont you present your own fact that will exonerate the minister.  I see your connection here, Frank Nweke is Chimaroke's boy and you are vouching for them. I wil also want you to challenge  my statement if Nigerians really matter to Politicians
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by Afam(m): 6:13pm On Dec 11, 2006
adconline:

@Afam,
why don't you present your own fact that will exonerate the minister. I see your connection here, Frank Nweke is Chimaroke's boy and you are vouching for them. I wil also want you to challenge my statement if Nigerians really matter to Politicians

@adconline,

You are really losing it. You came here and posted a statement credited to the information minister without any form of details whatsoever. One cannot even understand the circumstances surrounding the statement and you expect people to swallow the statement.

It is not my duty to search for the complete statement because I did not listen to him, neither did I produce an incomplete statement.

About Chimaroke, it is disgusting to note that you see my comments on the happening in Enugu as being in support of the governor, however, I am not surprised because people are used to talking rubbish when hey find it difficult to make arguements that make sense.

I am still waiting for your response on Chime lane, it is obvious you were talking about a lane instead of a major raod in New Heaven area without knowing the difference.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by LoverBwoy(m): 1:52pm On Dec 12, 2006
So basically the Nigerians in diaspora should leave Nigeria for the Nigerians in Nigeria alone. They should stop looking to go back for work, they should stop shouting about corruption and stop putting pressure on the government to do something about poverty.

the minister(s) should stop spending tax payers money to attract investment from Nigerians in diaspora he should focus on the foreigners as they can enjoy returns as high as 40% without paying much tax or even get paid higher than Nigerians in Nigeria and we can throw in a chieftancy title for a small fee too
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Really Inconsequential by 4Play(m): 5:55pm On Dec 12, 2006
Nigerians abroad contribute in capital repatriation and when they return they contribute intellectual capital.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Discovery Of The Century / Oil Minister In Oil Business / Umar Farouk Abdulmuttalab Faces $250,000 Fine And 20 Years For His Attempt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.