Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,196 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over (1189 Views)

See Fashola's House In Ikoyi That Lagos State Built For Him As Former Governor / Olusegun Obasanjo: Before I Die, Lagos Will Become Africa’s 3rd Largest Economy / Asari Dokubo: "Lagos Will Be Nothing Without Ijaw Oil" (Video Interview) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Nobody: 10:43am On Jul 30, 2016
Looking at the internet, one prickling topic is always when some Yorubas and some Igbos discuss the “Igbo assertion” that Lagos State is ‘no man’s land’.

Last year, this even caused some protests and heated debates in the internet, and my reply is that Yorubas should not take it seriously when their legs are being pulled by some of their Igbo brothers on this matter. I will tell you why:

Remember when in primary school your friends would start calling you a nickname you didn’t like, and you would feel like fighting or crying, and they, seeing that would then continue? That is what is happening here.

Everybody knows that Lagos is part of Yoruba Land because there is a Yoruba Oba of Lagos. The fact that there are Igbos who win elections in Lagos just reflects the nature of ‘One Nigeria’, where you are entitled to full political participation somewhere after you have lived there for a number of years.

Even a Yoruba man that leaves long enough in Abia State is entitled to contest for the Governorship of the state, and serve if given the mandate.

But only a family is entitled to the Obaship of Lagos, which to my mind is the highest cultural office of Lagos, and the cultural office indicates indigene-ship.

The Phrase ‘Ndi Obodo A’ Comes To The Rescue

The phrase above is another reason why the Yoruba should rest easy and smile when some people on the internet say Lagos is ‘no man’s land’ just to get at them. The phrase ‘Ndi obodo a’ simply means ‘the people of this land’, and a lot of Igbos use use it to describe the Yorubas when talking of Lagos, the same way a lot of Yorubas describe Igbos as ‘Omo Igbo’ (Son Of Igbo). Ndi Obodo A, means The People Of This Land.

That shows that there is a recognition that the Yorubas own Lagos. I repeat: the fact that Igbos win political posts in Lagos does not mean that they are trying to take over Eko from the Yorubas.

What The Yorubas Should Do

Instead of protesting or listening too much to some people who say Lagos is no man’s land the Yorubas should use that energy to build up the institution of the Oba of Lagos.

As long as that institution is there, Lagos remains Yoruba Land. It doesn’t matter whether a non Yoruba person emerges as governor of the state or not.

There is nothing to fear. If a Yoruba man should become Governor of Ebonyi State, it doesn’t make the state a non Igbo state. The traditional institution is the ultimate symbol.

Last Word

When you look at it only politically, the Federal Capital Territory Abuja belongs to all Nigerians, but when you add the important aspect of culture to the mix, we all know that the land belongs to the Gwari ethnic group.

No one can take Abuja from the Gwari people. Even if a Gwari man has never served as Minister of Abuja(equivalent of state governor) Abuja is firmly part of Gwari land.

So let’s all calm down. In the words of 2face, ‘Nothing dey happen’.
Source: http://zikistmovement.igbodefender.com/2016/07/14/why-yorubas-need-not-fear-that-lagos-will-be-taken-over/
Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by rhymaster: 10:45am On Jul 30, 2016
All these long throated insecure Ibos always projecting themselves into other people's lands and business, then turn around when they get hammered wailing and crying!

Ibos keep mistaking C of O, valid for 99 years from date of issue and revocable under the right laws or legislative amendments as permanent ownership - how fo.olish and greedy can these yeebos be? See sample of C of O in Nigeria - Lagos specifically. The term of 99 years is written very clearly but there is nothing that says you will have the use of the land for 99 years, if the government needs the land for public use or an amendment is made at the H of A. An amendment could be made for example if Nigeria breaks into different countries, then the Yoruba country will make new laws that will vest 100% of all lands with Yorubas ONLY! Even if you paid $500,000,000 for the land 5 days ago!

I will entertain only sensible and objective posters - no beerfraud slobs!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by CHIJIOKE1314: 10:46am On Jul 30, 2016
When hunger made you sell your land to me.. .what right do you have over the same land?

Your only option at reminding me that you once own the land is to turn Omo-nille.. ..thazall!!

My friend the op. pls leave Yolobar alone.. Dont open threads to mention them on any issues, they will soon betray you immediately the poo hit the fan..

2 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Qudbell(m): 10:47am On Jul 30, 2016
silly bawoo
Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Nobody: 11:08am On Jul 30, 2016
who gives half a fvk about Yeebos in Lagos,y'all can write all the articles in the universe,your silly attitude during the last elections is already noted and you'll be treated exactly the way you've presented yourselves.
Yorubas are just swift to remind you of place in Lagos,lest your braggadocio and low manners lead you to untold frustration.

11 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by ManMountain(m): 11:34am On Jul 30, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
When hunger made you sell your land to me.. .what right do you have over the same land?

Your only option at reminding me that you once own the land is to turn Omo-nille.. ..thazall!!

My friend the op. pls leave Yolobar alone.. Dont open threads to mention them on any issues, they will soon betray you immediately the poo hit the fan..

How many plots of land do you own in Lagos.
Show me any igbo man that claims he own land in lagos and i will show you a naive fool grin

9 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by gigabyte13: 11:40am On Jul 30, 2016
Mtchewwwwww, if at all yolobas want to be afraid of a tribe, na lgbos dem go come dey fear

Aha Igbo bawo?

lgbo wey be say na only noise, wailing, chest beating and issuing Ultimatum be dem hobby, abeg find another better tribe mention jareeeeeee.

4 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 30, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:

this Is d highest level of stupidity an igbo man cn go with such an arrogant statement......pls my ppl sellin land to u dosnt mean dre re hungry.......morova I knw a lot of our yoruba ppl wo brot nd build house in abia, nw wey ur ppl also hungry to sell lands to dem.....*hiss*

3 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by gigabyte13: 11:44am On Jul 30, 2016
Mtchewwwwww, if at all yolobas want to be afraid of a tribe, na lgbos dem go come dey fear

Aha Igbo bawo?

lgbo wey be say na only noise making , wailing, chest beating and issuing Ultimatum be dem hobby, abeg find another better tribe mention jareeeeeee.

1 Like

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Luckymay(f): 11:45am On Jul 30, 2016
Word
Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by CHIJIOKE1314: 12:16pm On Jul 30, 2016
[s]
ManMountain:

How many plots of land do you own in Lagos.
Show me any igbo man that claims he own land in lagos and i will show you a naive fool grin
[/s]

Omo-nille, just continue swearing until hunger deletes you of the face of the earth.. Even my little cousin that just graduated 2014 just acquired a plot there and u are rumbling on a march to ur grave..

3 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by CHIJIOKE1314: 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2016
[s]
oyetunji12:
this Is d highest level of stupidity an igbo man cn go with such an arrogant statement......pls my ppl sellin land to u dosnt mean dre re hungry.......morova I knw a lot of our yoruba ppl wo brot nd build house in abia, nw wey ur ppl also hungry to sell lands to dem.....*hiss*
[/s]

What else could make a make sell his land if not hunger...
This ur 'my people' is suspect.. As if any Yolobar man cares about your poor ass..
Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 30, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
[s][/s]

What else could make a make sell his land if not hunger...
This ur 'my people' is suspect.. As if any Yolobar man cares about your poor ass..
I will b so childish to reply you wit insult......bt am sure u re'nt beta dan me financially so I c no reson for u to call me a poor ass
Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by ManMountain(m): 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
[s][/s]

Omo-nille, just continue swearing until hunger deletes you of the face of the earth.. Even my little cousin that just graduated 2014 just acquired a plot there and u are rumbling on a march to ur grave..

I'm not from lagos state and i don't live there. Im proud of where i come from. Its is osu like you that want to die in lagos simply because your ancenstral homeland is like a jungle nobody is interested in.
Go and read what is written on your brother C of O (that is if he has one)
Keep fooling yourself you own land anywhere in nigeria apart from your ancestral land

5 Likes

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by xprezboy: 5:52pm On Jul 30, 2016
we igbos own lagos and Indonesia.

1 Like

Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by Flashh: 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
rhymaster:
All these long throated insecure Ibos always projecting themselves into other people's lands and business, then turn around when they get hammered wailing and crying!
Exactly!
Re: Why Yorubas Need Not Fear That Lagos Will Be Taken Over by CHIJIOKE1314: 3:33pm On Jul 31, 2016
[s]
ManMountain:

I'm not from lagos state and i don't live there. Im proud of where i come from. Its is osu like you that want to die in lagos simply because your ancenstral homeland is like a jungle nobody is interested in.
Go and read what is written on your brother C of O (that is if he has one)
Keep fooling yourself you own land anywhere in nigeria apart from your ancestral land
[/s]

Delude yourself as much as you want, as long as Nigeria remains one, once your sell ur land you are never gonna smell it in a thousand years..

Reading CofO for a million times won't change a thing..

(1) (Reply)

I Won’t Join APC For Ekiti 2018 Poll – Fayose / My Opinion On The Planned Protest By 2baba And Co / Buhari Fertilizer To Sale For As Low As N5,500

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.