Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,341 members, 7,839,607 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 01:15 AM

Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr (1472 Views)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / 4 Important Questions You Should Ask Yourself Before Choosing A Course To Study / Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by picasso4u(m): 11:17pm On Jul 30, 2016
Good day, I'm a 300level student of Electrical/Electronic Engr in one of the Federal universities and am having problem choosing between Power Systems Engineering, Electronic and Computer Engineering and Communication Engineering options.
I'm actually a tech lover and hence, wanted to study Electronic Engr or Communication Engr but then, I'm that kind of guy who loves calculations and analysis and hence, wants to go for Power Systems Engr.
I really need advice based on the marketability and versatility of the courses in present day Nigeria.
please, the likes of @Ajanlekoko, @Firemanjr, @oyb, etc, advice is really needed
Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by darkhorizon: 7:31am On Jul 31, 2016
picasso4u:
Good day, I'm a 300level student of Electrical/Electronic Engr in one of the Federal universities and am having problem choosing between Power Systems Engineering, Electronic and Computer Engineering and Communication Engineering options.
I'm actually a tech lover and hence, wanted to study Electronic Engr or Communication Engr but then, I'm that kind of guy who loves calculations and analysis and hence, wants to go for Power Systems Engr.
I really need advice based on the marketability and versatility of the courses in present day Nigeria.
please, the likes of @Ajanlekoko, @Firemanjr, @oyb, etc, advice is really needed
Here is my 2cent. I work in Power System(Consulting),and i can assure you that you won't really do much calculation when you start working,even if you would,just basic math. And those analysis you love so bad,i am sorry to tell you,you wont really be needing them. They are just to give you a background of what is going on.
Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by Nobody: 8:00am On Jul 31, 2016
darkhorizon:
Here is my 2cent. I work in Power System(Consulting),and i can assure you that you won't really do much calculation when you start working,even if you would,just basic math. And those analysis you love so bad,i am sorry to tell you,you wont really be needing them. They are just to give you a background of what is going on.

https://www.nairaland.com/3118030/should-restart#45814559

from 200level to working graduate in two months. issokay.

picasso4u:

i honestly can't speak for the 'marketability' of any of the courses. that would depend on what is happening as you are graduating. 2000 to 2005 was a fantastic period for people in telecomms [the gsm boom] not so much today. we have been expecting the power industry to take off for the past 5 years, but this has still not happened.

if power systems is what you're into, by all means, go for it. no one is really interested in what you majored in, what they look at is your class of degree
Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by darkhorizon: 8:01am On Jul 31, 2016
Electronics and computer engineering is cool,there is little to no calculation in this field. Here again,you apply just the background you have on electronics analysis,and you surely must know how to program,even if it just C and assembly language. It goes a long way. Those who work in the semiconductor industry(fabrication) are those who utilize calculation the most,and basic to intermidiate knowledge of quantum mechanics,and solid state physics. Unfortunately,this field is not yet well established in Nigeria. Communication on the other hand utilizes a fair good amount of calculations in field: here you have to be good with the Laplace transform. This field is filled up,and most people go in for the money,i hope you dont go in for that reason ALONE. At the end of the day it boils down to passion,the one you would enjoy doing. P.S: dont be suprised when you start working,and realise that 60% of what you have been taught in school is useless. Good day,Cheers cool

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by darkhorizon: 8:13am On Jul 31, 2016
oyb:

i honestly can't speak for the 'marketability' of any of the courses. that would depend on what is happening as you are graduating. 2000 to 2005 was a fantastic period for people in telecomms [the gsm boom] not so much today. we have been expecting the power industry to take off for the past 5 years, but this has still not happened.

if power systems is what you're into, by all means, go for it. no one is really interested in what you majored in, what they look at is your class of degree
lol,Good morning my Oga,i never stated that i was a graduate. I only stated my experience from working with a company Consulting in Power,i have been working with since last years august. Me na until 2018 till i grad. And by the way,i am now in 300 level,you guys advice helped me move on. Cheers. cool
Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by picasso4u(m): 2:08pm On Jul 31, 2016
@oyb, @darkhorizon, thanks for the comment sir far...

how versatile are the various fields, for example, as a Power Systems Engr, where else can I work apart from the Gencos, TCN and the Discos, as an Electronic Engineer, where in Nigeria can I even work as related to the course, etc
Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by AjanleKoko: 8:51am On Nov 10, 2016
oyb:

So these children still do these things on Nairaland cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Choosing Between Power Systems Engr, Electronic Engr And Communications Engr by Nobody: 8:16pm On Nov 10, 2016
AjanleKoko:

So these children still do these things on Nairaland cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Bro please say something to me, @Op please can I borrow your thread ?

I will be 30 yrs next year, with a B.Tech Elect/Elect and M.eng Electrical Machines and power systems bith from Nig.

I have been with a bank as an operator for the past 3 years and I really wanna switch careers.

Do you think am too old ?

Which area should I focus on I intend to cross back to Engineering ?

I was initially thinking of sourcing for scholarship against PhD Elect abroad but I am still kinda confused.

Please note that although I work as a banker I am still very good with Electrical Engineering cos I study everyday when I get home and still upgrade myself.

What advise will you give me if I were your bro. ?

(1) (Reply)

Meet Uzo Asonye, US District Attorney Prosecuting Paul Manafort / Diamond Bank Plc / I Need Your Advice On My Career And Choosen Profession.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.