Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,492 members, 7,819,798 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:46 PM

Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? (2477 Views)

'we Are Coming To America And We Will Cut Off Your Head': ISIS Tells Obama / Vladimir Putin's Letter To America On The Syria Crisis / Post Your Solution To America's Illegal Immigration Problem . . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by cap28: 2:16pm On Sep 19, 2009
america has a terrible history rooted in genocide, imperialism (ongoing), apartheid, exploitation and corruption but it seems to be very good at hiding these aspects of its past and present and instead seems to get away with portraying itself as a country that beleives in democratic ideals such as freedom, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

we are told that when its constitution was adopted in 1787 this was lauded as a proud day in the history of the country however other accounts dismiss this as a deceptive reinvention of the truth and that in actual fact america's founding fathers had no intention of creating a democratic nation that it was merely paying lip service to the ideals of democracy. 

Apparently its main objective was to create a plutocracy a system of govt where only the very rich (were allowed to run the country at the behest of other plutocrats with everyone else being reduced to glorified slaves within this structure.  this is based on the fact that almost all of america's  founding fathers were land speculators and slave owners, contrary to popular beleif their war of independence was not fought in order to rid themselves of Britain's tyrannical hold over them but in order for them to carry on with the theft of native american land in violation of legally binding agreements,  preserve slavery in order to maintain their wealth and power and install a system of government which would protect them.

The dilemma for them was how they could get away with practising a system of govt designed to favour the rich and disadvantage the poor without the poor realising that they were being taken advantage of hence the creation of the illusion of democracy.  do you agree?

if you are in any doubt as to the fact that america preaches democracy but practices the opposite here are some of the evil things that america has perpetrated and continues to perpetrate:

they have suspended an individual's right to a fair trial before a jury of ones peers - which means that you can be thrown in jail by the US govt and held there indefinitely without them having to prove that they have good cause for doing so if you are perceived to be an "enemy combatant" or a threat to national security.

in the last 8 years they have invaded two sovereign states under the false pretext of spreading democracy but actually in order to take control of the vast oil and opium fields located in those countries (iraq and afghanistan)

it has overthrown legitimate democratic governments of countries who refuse to open up their countries to pillage and plunder of their natural resources ie haiti, el salvador, nicaragua, panama,honduras,  the phillipines, afghanistan, indonesia, colombia and many more

it has installed puppet leaders in countries where they have economic self interests in order to safeguard their "interests"

it has sponsored the use of terrorism in sovereign countries

it practices a de facto apartheid system whereby the majority of racial minorities (particularly blacks) do not have equal access to housing, education and employment with whites

it practices one of the most insidious economic systems of government - capitalism whereby multinational corporations wield more power than governments and are able to dictate economic and foreign policies by way of powerful lobbying groups and donations to political parties.

it has used violent repression to get rid of so called dissident groups that are considered "a threat to national security" using various methods ie false imprisonment on trumped up charges, murder, intimidation, harrasssment.

so my question is why is it that we as nigerians continue to look up to this nation as one to be emulated?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by back2back(f): 7:49pm On Sep 19, 2009
so my question is why is it that we as nigerians continue to look up to this nation as one to be emulated?

because our minds have been colonised and large population of blacks reside in the place.

And importantly, globalisation of media!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Sammy107d(m): 6:31am On Sep 20, 2009
Nigerians do not look up to America.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by yeswecan(m): 4:44pm On Sep 20, 2009
We have so many things in common, supposed system of government and all that.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Nobody: 10:06pm On Sep 20, 2009
yeswecan:

We have so many things in common, supposed system of government and all that.

We had a far better system of government under our native laws.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by BellaRouge(f): 4:52am On Sep 21, 2009
Firstly, I don't agree with your assumption that Nigerians look up to America. Then, assuming you were correct, all you've done in your post is make a list of claims based on your interpretation of America's actions, not facts. Lastly, as humans, when we hold someone in high esteem, we generally don't admire them for their negative qualities but their positive qualities and actions. After all, no one's perfect. Despite your list of America's "faults", America is a nation that has undoubtedly accomplished a lot of things.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by back2back(f): 12:50pm On Sep 21, 2009
Firstly, I don't agree with your assumption that Nigerians look up to America. Then, assuming you were correct

Nigerian and Nigerians ALMOST try to imitate America in everything.

Almost everything is about AMERICA in Nigeria!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by cap28: 4:15pm On Sep 21, 2009
BellaRouge:

Firstly, I don't agree with your assumption that Nigerians look up to America. Then, assuming you were correct, all you've done in your post is make a list of claims based on your interpretation of America's actions, not facts. Lastly, as humans, when we hold someone in high esteem, we generally don't admire them for their negative qualities but their positive qualities and actions. After all, no one's perfect. Despite your list of America's "faults", America is a nation that has undoubtedly accomplished a lot of things.

to say that nigerians do not look up to america and americans is to be in the firm grip of self deception - okay let me give a very simple example - on any day take a trip down to the american embassy in nigeria and you will see how nigerians are willing to put up with any kind of humiliating treatment from the embassy officials all in a bid to obtain a visa into the country.  infact on another thread where a discussion was being made about the possibility of american marines occupying the niger delta region in order to "safeguard" oil installations some people were actually quite jubilant enthusing that at least now we can look forward to having mcdonalds, burger kings and walmarts established in nigeria - what does that indicate?

you say that all ive done is make a list of claims based on my interpretation of america's actions and not facts, to most people who regularly read and research world issues none of what you describe as "claims" are new but here are some facts:

suspension of the bill of rights by the introduction of the Military Commissions Act 2006http://www.aclu.org/safefree/detention/commissions.html

invasion of iraq and afghanistan- a right wing think tank known as the project for the new american century (PNAC) sets out america's plans for world domination and pre emptive attacks against "problem areas of the world" with the recommendation that america should initiate "regime change" of administrations that are "hostile" to america's economic interests

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article3249.htm

overthrow of legitimate democratically elected govts: too numerous to mention but see link below

http://video.google.com/videoplay?

installation of puppet leaders: see overthrow of legitimate democratically elected govts

state sponsorhip of terrorism: see overthrow of democratically elected govts

practice of de facto apartheid: this is still very much in existence - its a well known fact that whites move out of areas en masse when they feel too many blacks are moving in to white neighbourhoods

employment - blacks are overrepresented in terms of unemployment stats particularly now in an economic downturn, btw this is irrespective of educational acheivement infact educated blacks suffer even higher levels of unemployment than uneducated blacks

education: huge disparity between standard of education in "black schools" in comparison to white

judicial system: high incarceration rate of blacks in comparison to whites

capitalism: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article11635.htm

repression of dissident groups:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p993fs5pR4U
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Epiphany(m): 4:58pm On Sep 21, 2009
Dude, ALMOST ALL countries look up to America. . . or did so at one time or the other. I dont think it is only Nigerians that look up to America. However, these days, you can see that countries like Germany, France, and others in the far east in Asia are trying to rise up and show that they can survive and prosper without any interference or friendship with the US. There is evidence of this from the G-8 or G-whatever, that was held in the UK - where it was as if there was a marriage ONLY btw Gordon Brown and Obama. Sarkozy and Merkel of Germany were supposedly 'aloof' and seemingly did not want to partake of whatever UK and US were up to. However, all that could have been 'shakara'. Of course, we know of the relationship btw China, Russia and the US, where they all regard each other with a lot of suspicion

Secondly, whoever holds the strings controls the puppet. America holds UN, World bank, the security council etc in the palms of their hands or have the largest voting rights or say in the affairs of those bodies. The implication of this is that the government of Nigeria (or many other governments in the world) has to dance to whatever tune these people (esp the US) play so that they can continually receive their loans, handouts, or be in their good books. Example is that Nigeria is presently vying for a seat in the UN security council. If they are on very very very good terms with the US, it is possible that the US will use their influence with other members like the UK, Germany, France etc to 'help' Nigeria get that position.

With respect to the ordinary man on the road looking up to the US. . . who else can he look up to? We all wear designs from american designers, watch american movies on tv, read american books and comics, recently - drive american (spec) cars (or cars imported from America) and to a large extent, want to live the american dream. We (or they) all believe that on reaching America, life will be good, so the aspiration of everyone is to do anything to get to america.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Kobojunkie: 6:28pm On Sep 21, 2009
Epiphany:

Dude, ALMOST ALL countries look up to America. . . or did so at one time or the other. I dont think it is only Nigerians that look up to America.

It is not all Nigerians per say but a huge majority do try all they can to copy America. You only need to land at MMA to notice this. I remember growing up around teens who tried all they could to change their accents so they could sound as American as they could. It was almost a competition.

Epiphany:

With respect to the ordinary man on the road looking up to the US. . . who else can he look up to? We all wear designs from american designers, watch american movies on tv, read american books and comics, recently - drive american (spec) cars (or cars imported from America) and to a large extent, want to live the american dream. We (or they) all believe that on reaching America, life will be good, so the aspiration of everyone is to do anything to get to america.

I doubt the average Nigerian really knows what the American dream is. I remember spending time trying to explain it, only a couple of weeks ago, to a friend of mine who thought it was about making so much money and living large.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 22, 2009
I dont think there's any set of people in the world that look up to the Americans than the S/Koreans and Chinese.
The difference between them and Nigerians is that they copy every good part of it and mix it with their own good to get the best, while nigerians copy every single bad part of it and what do we get? Catastrophe!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by sleekp1: 10:46pm On Sep 22, 2009
If all Nigerians abroad were to really emulate the good of the country they reside, in other to replicate those things that makes the west tick, Nigeria wouldn't be where it is now.
We blame every one but ourselves and tend to berate Nigeria at every turn even when we're the culprits.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by MandingoII(m): 4:35am On Sep 24, 2009
It is not just Nigerians.  Everybody outside of the U.S. and Europe WHO HAVE BEEN BOMBARDED WITH AMERICAN MEDIA [/b]wants to live the "so-called American lifestyle"

[b]Unfortunately, when they get here and get settled into the "rat race" they find that it was NOT what they thought it would be, YET, a HELLUVA lot bettter than where they came from.

Its a catch 22.

and YES America did all those things Cap 22 posted.

The ONLY REASON America did not aid in COLONIZING Africa was because America had its own problems with taking the American Indians land and the African American situation.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by cap28: 1:37pm On Sep 24, 2009
MandingoII:

It is not just Nigerians.  Everybody outside of the U.S. and Europe WHO HAVE BEEN BOMBARDED WITH AMERICAN MEDIA [/b]wants to live the "so-called American lifestyle"

[b]Unfortunately, when they get here and get settled into the "rat race" they find that it was NOT what they thought it would be, YET, a HELLUVA lot bettter than where they came from.

Its a catch 22.

and YES America did all those things Cap 22 posted.

The ONLY REASON America did not aid in COLONIZING Africa was because America had its own problems with taking the American Indians land and the African American situation.

@mandingo II i agree the american media is a formidable propaganda machine - i think this is why many americans are so ignorant - they completely buy into the fairy stories that are churned out by all their outlets of misinformation - i think the worst culprit is fox whose main objective is not to inform but to mislead and misinform.  Also media outlets like BET are doing a terrible job as they serve only to corrupt and pollute  the minds of our black youth.  When was the last time you watched anything remotely educational on that channel.  I thing that they are singlehandedly colluding with white america to keep blacks ignorant by churning out programmes that are light on substance and heavy on garbage.  i think a channel who aims not to educate blacks but simply keep them constantly titillated is doing a gross disservice to future generations. 

the worst thing about it is ive noticed that the nigerian channels are falling over themselves to emulate this garbage with non stop mimicking of african american videos (BEN,AIT) and tacky substance free reality shows (Koko mansion)

at the time europe was colonising africa (1800's) - america and europe's relationship was regulated by the monroe doctrine which prevented europe and america from invading each others territories. the doctrine stipulated that any encroachment by europe into american territory would be regarded as an act of aggression and vice versa.   i think now britain and america are in the process of forming an anglo american alliance whose main aim is to create a one world government with america as the senior partner running the show.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by MandingoII(m): 8:21pm On Sep 25, 2009
@mandingo II i agree the american media is a formidable propaganda machine - i think this is why many americans are so ignorant - they completely buy into the fairy stories that are churned out by all their outlets of misinformation - i think the worst culprit is fox whose main objective is not to inform but to mislead and misinform. Also media outlets like BET are doing a terrible job as they serve only to corrupt and pollute the minds of our black youth. When was the last time you watched anything remotely educational on that channel. I thing that they are singlehandedly colluding with white america to keep blacks ignorant by churning out programmes that are light on substance and heavy on garbage. i think a channel who aims not to educate blacks but simply keep them constantly titillated is doing a gross disservice to future generations.

the worst thing about it is ive noticed that the nigerian channels are falling over themselves to emulate this garbage with non stop mimicking of african american videos (BEN,AIT) and tacky substance free reality shows (Koko mansion)

at the time europe was colonising africa (1800's) - america and europe's relationship was regulated by the monroe doctrine which prevented europe and america from invading each others territories. the doctrine stipulated that any encroachment by europe into american territory would be regarded as an act of aggression and vice versa. i think now britain and america are in the process of forming an anglo american alliance whose main aim is to create a one world government with america as the senior partner running the show.

I agree, it is ASTOUNDING the lack of global education of the adults in America. Everybody is being LEAD into this dumbing down on the ISSUES!!!

The CORPORATIONS got everybody by the balls.

When you speak the truth - you get met with Media MISINFORMATION.

It is really fugged up what is happening, The Black community in America is bleeped!

Gangsta Rap and Crack set up back 2 generations.

Now they are targeting the educational system.

What they don't know WILL keep em impoverished.

AND

What they do know will get em FIRED!

However, they know deep in their soul that - they are sinking and are merely maintaining.

America needs the consumers to STAY in Debt and keep buying useless products and looking at useless programming.

if they knew the truth and wanted to do something about it, they would be in THE STREETS WITH PITCHFORKS AND BURNING TORCHES overthrowing the 1% that OWNS EVERYTHING.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by morpheus24: 8:47pm On Sep 25, 2009
^ Somebody is reading alot nowadays. DAMN!

Morpheus proclaims "WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD"
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by morpheus24: 9:10pm On Sep 25, 2009
I hope we aren't looking up to these morons.

Mandingo Your people o!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SawqX45frdU
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Billygoat(m): 9:50pm On Sep 25, 2009
Hey, not to worry there, Cap28.  America's time is done and it is rapidly turning into a third world shit hole.  All the good jobs went overseas, car makers are going broke, Banks are going broke, Obama is turning into the black George Bush. 

All Bush policys being continued.  Wiretaps on US citizens, war still going on, Gitmo still going strong, OH, Wait,   No more torture, right?  Yeah, we still do renditions.  That mean we send our torture overseas like our industry. 

Black people in USA no better off now than before dis big attorney save us from Bush.  He talk so sweet nobody listen to what he say.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by MandingoII(m): 6:21pm On Sep 28, 2009
Black people in USA no better off now than before dis big attorney save us from Bush. He talk so sweet nobody listen to what he say.

Bush and ALL of his ex-employees are shaking in their boots.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by cap28: 6:50pm On Sep 30, 2009
Billygoat:

Hey, not to worry there, Cap28. America's time is done and it is rapidly turning into a third world shit hole. All the good jobs went overseas, car makers are going broke, Banks are going broke, Obama is turning into the black George Bush.

All Bush policys being continued. Wiretaps on US citizens, war still going on, Gitmo still going strong, OH, Wait, No more torture, right? Yeah, we still do renditions. That mean we send our torture overseas like our industry.

Black people in USA no better off now than before dis big attorney save us from Bush. He talk so sweet nobody listen to what he say.

yeah i know what you mean, i think black people the world over have been hoodwinked into beleiving that Obama will actually bring about change, the truth of the matter is that he is merely a puppet, a front man for the real power brokers who definitely do not have the interest of the poor and minorities at heart. You only have to look at members of his cabinet to see what his administration's agenda is - his chief of staff rahm emmanuel is a staunch zionist who supported preemptive strikes against iraq under bush, emmanuel is also a former investment banker(gives you an idea as to where his loyalties lie) , also vice president joe biden is another staunch supporter of the continuation of the war in iraq, other appointees served under the clinton administration and instigated much of the economic crisis that we're dealing with now.

Even his policies seem to be morphing into his predecessor's ie no withdrawal date for troops in iraq and afghanistan, healthcare - favouring private insurance companies over universal health care system.

i think he won mainly because of the black and hispanic vote, and the disilusionment about the state of the economy by white america.

on a positive note at least he has made history. i like the fact that at least he's married to a black woman and didnt sell out in that respect but with regard to policies its become clearer whose side he's really on.

obama is an intelligent man and he must have known the score before he took the job so i can only assume that the reason he took the job in the first place was to go down in history as the first (and probably only) african american president. the last US president who tried to bring about positive change (removal of troops from vietnam, disbanding of the CIA, enfranchisement of blacks, removal of the federal reserve's powers ) was jfk and despite being a member of the elite was still eliminated.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by MandingoII(m): 8:14pm On Oct 05, 2009
yeah i know what you mean, i think black people the world over have been hoodwinked into beleiving that Obama will actually bring about change, the truth of the matter is that he is merely a puppet, a front man for the real power brokers who definitely do not have the interest of the poor and minorities at heart. You only have to look at members of his cabinet to see what his administration's agenda is - his chief of staff rahm emmanuel is a staunch zionist who supported preemptive strikes against iraq under bush, emmanuel is also a former investment banker(gives you an idea as to where his loyalties lie) , also vice president joe biden is another staunch supporter of the continuation of the war in iraq, other appointees served under the clinton administration and instigated much of the economic crisis that we're dealing with now.

Even his policies seem to be morphing into his predecessor's ie no withdrawal date for troops in iraq and afghanistan, healthcare - favouring private insurance companies over universal health care system.

i think he won mainly because of the black and hispanic vote, and the disilusionment about the state of the economy by white america.

on a positive note at least he has made history. i like the fact that at least he's married to a black woman and didnt sell out in that respect but with regard to policies its become clearer whose side he's really on.

obama is an intelligent man and he must have known the score before he took the job so i can only assume that the reason he took the job in the first place was to go down in history as the first (and probably only) african american president. the last US president who tried to bring about positive change (removal of troops from vietnam, disbanding of the CIA, enfranchisement of blacks, removal of the federal reserve's powers ) was jfk and despite being a member of the elite was still eliminated.

are you sure you live in the U.K.?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by redsun(m): 9:49pm On Oct 05, 2009
Hollywood is one of greatest propaganda machine america uses,movies could be deceiving,it takes africans by storm.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by cap28: 10:40pm On Oct 05, 2009
MandingoII:

are you sure you live in the U.K.?

yes, why do you ask
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by xyuche: 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2009
We are Nigerians and we should do things in our own way and not lookingn up to any western country.we have our culture and identity to protect.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Nobody: 1:36am On Oct 17, 2009
southern Nigerians look up to America.

Northern Nigerians look to Saudi and the middle east.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by mccloud224(m): 3:12am On Oct 17, 2009
Nigerian leaders look up to oil money.Nigerian citizens look at the news headlines to see how many more billions are missing.Me dey look beans wey i keep for fire.

Make i go check am, brb grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Nobody: 5:28am On Oct 17, 2009
I don dey even fear the place sef.

The way they're mercilessly going after the big wigs is enough to scare anyone.

Just today they arrested a US billonaire, the richest Sri lankan in the world and charged him with something.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by preselect(m): 5:26am On Oct 18, 2009
are u a big wig? which one be ya own grin if a big wig stole something shouldnt he/she be arrested?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by Igbanibo: 1:06am On Oct 19, 2009
My parent's generation look up to everything British, me and my generation look up to America, because the British Empire has faded.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by MrCrackles(m): 1:12am On Oct 19, 2009
mccloud224:

Nigerian leaders look up to oil money.Nigerian citizens look at the news headlines to see how many more billions are missing.Me dey look beans wey i keep for fire.

Make i go check am, brb grin
LOL! grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by sage(m): 3:20am On Oct 19, 2009
@cap28 what exactly do you mean by saying at least Obama did not sell out? Are u saying that if a 50% irish Obama married a woman of irish ancestry he will be selling out?? Selling out to whom and y?

N/B: Please people in Nigeria are not looking up 2 Obama for anything. Infact people in Nigeria do not define themselves as primarily black. Nigerians have very distinct ethnicities and cultures with which they define themselves. In Nigeria, there s no such thing as what "black people do". If Obama's dad had been a black american, nobody in Nigeria wold give a hoot about him.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Look Up To America? by SeanT21(f): 6:43am On Oct 22, 2009
[b]If U think Nigeria looks up to America, look at Liberia. We literally wipe their asses with our hands. Look at our flag, our Pledge Of Allegiance, etc. It has America written all over it.If a rich man live all his life in Liberia and never stepped his foot in the great USA ,he is not better off than a poor man who visited the country. I am not gonna lie because I was fascinated by the US while growing up. I remember my friends and I used to pick states to live in if we ever get the chance to settle. I mean how can u not be fascinated by the place when their products are everywhere in Liberia. Most Africans prefer the US dollars to their own currencies and rather watch Hollywood film then any other. America has made a great impact in the world both good and bad. We cant fault them because no one is perfect. We need to stop focusing on the negative things they have done and focus on the positive. US-AID, Feed The Children, Operation Christmas Child, etc. Plus, they are helping to rebuild Liberia with all the money they are sending there and they helped us during the civil war.I felt safer when those US soldiers were there at the end of the war. Most Liberians refer to the US as a big bro. Durng the war most Liberians ran to the US embassy in monrovia to feel safer.

I LOVE THE US
!![/b]

(1) (2) (Reply)

Math Teacher Arrested At JFK Aiport / ISIS Begins Filming Recruitment Video - Then Putin Makes It Rain... / US Government To Create A Military Base In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.