Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,761 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Brothers Grimm (the Youth Who Wanted To Learn To Shudder) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Brothers Grimm (the Youth Who Wanted To Learn To Shudder) (418 Views)

Story: The Two Brothers In The Pathway To Success And The Tragedy / Chimamanda Adichie, Her Parents And Brothers Pictured In Baltimore / See An Epic Reply From Someone Who Wanted To Learn Fiction from me( Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Brothers Grimm (the Youth Who Wanted To Learn To Shudder) by Nobody: 3:55pm On Aug 03, 2016
This is my favorite among all the stories compiled by the Brothers Grimm. It's a very peculiar story, with an interesting perspective on things. Take a deep breath, grab a donut, a cup of coffee, relax and lets explore this story... together.

"A certain father had two sons, the elder of whom was smart and sensible, and could do everything, but the younger was stupid and could neither learn nor understand anything, and when people saw him they said 'there's a fellow who will give his father some trouble.' When anything had to be done, it was always the elder who was forced to do it, but if his father bade him fetch anything when it was late, or in the night-time, and the way led through the churchyard, or any other dismal place, he answered 'oh, no, father, I'll not go there, it makes me shudder.' For he was afraid.

Or when stories were told by the fire at night which made the flesh creep, the listeners sometimes said 'oh, it makes us shudder.' 
The younger sat in a corner and listened with the rest of them, and could not imagine what they could mean.  'They are always saying 'it makes me shudder, it makes me shudder,  it does not make me shudder.' Thought he.  'That, too, must be an art of which I understand nothing.'

Now it came to pass that his father said to him one day 'Hearken to me, you fellow in the corner there, you are growing tall and strong, and you too must learn something by which you can earn your bread...

Read the rest at www.laolusblog.

(1) (Reply)

The Story Of A Penniless Philosopher / A Message To The Depressed / Remembering Aslan333

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.