Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

Rhoda - Literature (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Rhoda (61766 Views)

Rhoda Season 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rhoda by frozenfirenaija(f): 6:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
Episode 69
"Father! Father!"
The bathtub was full to brim and the floor was flooded though because of the high platfrom, the water didn't reach where I stood looking at the mess in horror still unable to move my hands from the curtain and do something. It was as though I had immediately been spelled and stupefied. As if I had transformed to a statue. I forgot how essential breathing was to human life, I forgot how important it was to blink once in every passing twenty seconds, I forgot how the bathroom originally looked before she came back from the island where she stays, before I yanked the curtain aside. I couldn't feel my face.

She was there. Naked and drowning in the pool of water as still as a rock except her hair which floated all over her face. Her eyes were shut in a tight slit like she had purposely shut them. In the split seconds I stood there trying to comprehend the scene before me, It was a dreadful sight. She was as pale as a corpse and my heart skipped two beats. Adrenaline finally shut through my veins seconds after. The longest seconds of my life.

"Father! Father ' I screamed but there was no reply. I leaned forward and pulled her out of the water. She weighed far too much for a model and it worried me to imagine she had been eating off the gyms diary and gaining excess pounds than required for her career . People tend to eat carelessly when they had too much in their mind and this realisation increased my fear. I lifted her out of the bathtub, both of my hands under her armpit, placing her weight against my chest as I continued to drag her with all my effort. It was like pulling a lifeless sack of rice.

Her bare legs coiled around in a mess and it reminded me of Aunty Afura, how her legs had been when she fainted in shock of being killed by the child she had raised from birth. Wasn't life such a cruel place?
I finally managed to pull her full length out of the water, ignoring the running shower that had soaked my hair over again and the splatters on the edges of the bathtub that had my pyjamas dripping into my naked kitty cart.

"Father! " there was still no response.
I placed her flat on her back and checked for a pulse by dipping my index finger on her throat very deep as if I wanted to plunge into her oesophagus or cut through to her lungs. As if I was looking for something which I technically was. I kept my finger still, my mouth still ajar as it had been since the moment I saw the incomprehensible and finally I felt the tiny beats that shone the bright lights of hope in my face. She was still alive. 'Still' alive because she had almost died and if I didn't do something, she 'still' could but at the moment I could 'still ' do something.

It was the strangest feeling knowing I was the only one who could save her life. Realising that her life was in my hands was the greatest responsibility ever placed upon my shoulders. Thank God for secondary school co-curricular activity, I had knowledge on how to save someone who had just be drowned in FirstAid Club. I had been less interested in the club because the drama club was where I belonged but for schools regulation that insisted every student switch groups every term so everyone could gain in every aspect. The club mistress had intentionally picked me for experiment and I can never forget how my juniors kept teasing me about the way she had continued to pound my chest like she was pounding Yam for her husband's Mother and didn't want to be put to shame. Never thought I'll do the same to my own sister. I placed my hands on her chest and began to pound but she wasn't responding. I grabbed the hand mirror on the shelf and placed it under her nose. It gave just a very faint blur.
GOD PLEASE, I KNOW I'M A SINNER BUT PLEASE HELP ME. HELP US
"Dad! " I screamed again.
I continued the CPR for another couple of seconds then placed the mirror under her nose again. There was no blur. I had lost her

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rhoda by RoastedCorn(m): 8:52pm On Sep 09, 2016
how painful . . maybe that's when Rhoda would probably realise how much she loves her sister
Re: Rhoda by rachealfst(f): 11:37am On Sep 12, 2016
Well done, nice story
Re: Rhoda by Oyinprince(m): 12:48pm On Sep 12, 2016
frozenfirenaija:
Thanks for all the comments, will update later today and again please o somebody is posting my story on facebook his name is Newton Trent he has blocked me sef after I accused him he has also blocked my friends that told me too. Please if you know him warm him o
Report his post
Re: Rhoda by frozenfirenaija(f): 2:26pm On Sep 12, 2016
Episode 70a
It was noon but my sister wasn't being the lazy whimp she is with ear phones in her ear while staring out the kitchen window. Mother was not in the picture neither was Father. The afternoon sun glared on the dark shades that I was wearing to hide the redness of my eye. It complemented the black gown I had gotten for the day and my hair was tucked into a black Brimm's hat . Black was my best colour because it didn't contradict the darkness in my soul and it was suitable for clubbing but this wasn't an occasion.
I was mourning.

A small pamphlet had been printed with her obituary on it and the pastor instructed us to open to the third page and read the hymn. It was the hymns everyone sang at funerals . That hymn that competed with Adele's emotional song. That hymn that was sung to make the family the dead feel better but only made them cry more.
'Jerusalem on high...
My song and city is
My home where I die
The sunset of my bliss
Oh happy day....'

Tears rolled down my cheeks and I kept biting my lips to comfort myself. My cousin, Gbemi who had flown down from London to attend the funeral was on my left, I took my hand in hers and gave it a mild squeeze. She couldn't see my eyes, how red they were, how they had been replaced with devastation and hurt, how much pain the glasses hid.

It was normal tradition not to attend a burial of someone you are old enough to give birth to but the same didn't apply to the pastors. They all wore white garments and mufflers with Anglican inscriptions and sang the hymn with so much passion. They were glad another soul had gone to God, if only they knew it was suicide. Murder was a sin especially murdering* oneself... If that defined suicide.

Mother said it was a bad news to say she killed herself. Instead, the family told people she slipped in the bathroom and drowned in the full bathtub due to her unconsciousness after the fall. Only a few people knew the truth.

The cemetery was large and scary. Several burial spots had it's own stone, inscription and design. Being a private cemetery, most of the corpse belong to rich people. Some had their statues in front of their burial grounds made of expensive materials: brass and bronze alike. I had bought a bouquet of flowers to drop as soon as her casket was placed into the floor. I hoped to drop more a week after.

The temperature was irregular and the Aura was very low and dark. If I had been blindfolded and brought to the cemetery, I would have known I was there. Death loomed around and if anyone had an inner eyes, they would see the ghosts of the innocent crying out of help and the spirits of the wicked gnashing their teeth in regrets as they both prepared for the afterlife. The life beyond the life within.
I rose my eyes up to the sky. She was young, beautiful and perfect but she had killed herself because even though she had all, she didn't have what it takes to last long. Life was very short, complicated and unpredictable. My cousins all looked composed while I stood listening to the pastor talk about Heaven and Hell. The place of peace and the place of pain. A golden city and a bottomless lake of fire. It wasn't my first time hearing about them but it was the first time someone close to me died. I quietly wished her heaven.
Someone on my left wrapped her hands around me and I looked at her. I had expected her to cry more than me being an Aries but her eyes were dry and she hadn't worn a glasses but a veil which she wrapped around her face and held the helm to cover her nose. She looked like an Indian or a Muslim. Her light brown eyes were cold with pain. The only streak of pain her physique disclosed.
"You only live once " my sister said.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rhoda by Eniqurl(f): 7:06pm On Sep 12, 2016
R. I. P sad
Re: Rhoda by Darmilollar(f): 7:21pm On Sep 12, 2016
Pls @frozenfire who just died cause its like i'm lost
Re: Rhoda by bummybummy(f): 9:00am On Sep 13, 2016
dnt get it again, who died among dem father or sis?
Re: Rhoda by Matrycx(m): 9:16am On Sep 13, 2016
#confused
Re: Rhoda by nkemdave(m): 9:23am On Sep 13, 2016
hmmmmm!
A sad moment for Rhoda cry
Re: Rhoda by hefelove(m): 10:30am On Sep 13, 2016
ah pade lese Jesu. am sure it's Rhoda sister that died the one wey be model. It might be some other family members that's consoling Rhoda sha
Re: Rhoda by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 13, 2016
i was expecting the confusion jst as it did on ur fb page. dis episode kept reminding me of 2 months ago.
Re: Rhoda by Moisef(f): 8:54pm On Sep 13, 2016
So, frozenfirenaija finally bored me cry undecided
Re: Rhoda by RoastedCorn(m): 12:30am On Sep 14, 2016
bummybummy:
dnt get it again, who died among dem father or sis?
Rhoda's sister is dead . . the person holding her is her sister's ghost
Re: Rhoda by bummybummy(f): 6:13am On Sep 14, 2016
RoastedCorn:
Rhoda's sister is dead . . the person holding her is her sister's ghost
okk, tnx jare
Re: Rhoda by missuniverse(f): 7:15am On Sep 14, 2016
frozenfirenaija:
Episode 70a
It was noon but my sister wasn't being the lazy whimp she is with ear phones in her ear while staring out the kitchen window.Mother was not in the picture neither was Father.

Someone on my left wrapped her hands around me and I looked at her. I had expected her to cry more than me being an Aries but her eyes were dry
Her light brown eyes were cold with pain.
"You only live once "my sister said
i think dis is Flashback

i think miss model survived

I think a close relative died in the past...

who was she

2 Likes

Re: Rhoda by iykekelvins(m): 10:12am On Sep 14, 2016
I started following this story closely a few days ago and I'm loving every bit of it.

Rip to Rhoda's sister, if she's actually dead.
Re: Rhoda by hefelove(m): 11:17am On Sep 14, 2016
Moisef:
So, frozenfirenaija finally bored me cry undecided
how she take bored u?

see confusion everywhere lmaooooo
Re: Rhoda by frozenfirenaija(f): 11:27am On Sep 14, 2016
lol wow confusion everywhere as hefelove said cheesy

Thanks y'all all for the comments and am soo sorry for the slow update, have been working on other stories ni o also the photo story wahala and the blog wahala

please moisef am soo sorry.

I will end Rhoda season 1 later today sha enh lemme call it season 1 will start the next season soon. Thank u all for going along with me. Just thank u so much u all!
Re: Rhoda by itslyrix: 1:09pm On Sep 14, 2016
frozenfirenaija:
lol wow confusion everywhere as hefelove said cheesy

Thanks y'all all for the comments and am soo sorry for the slow update, have been working on other stories ni o also the photo story wahala and the blog wahala

please moisef am soo sorry.

I will end Rhoda season 1 later today sha enh lemme call it season 1 will start the next season soon. Thank u all for going along with me. Just thank u so much u all!

love ur writting skills...
full of suspense nd d way u bring d flash baks in is rili cool..
u re rili talented. u shld ve ur own blog.
keep up d gud work.
Re: Rhoda by nkemdave(m): 1:48pm On Sep 14, 2016
Hope it's not what I'm thinking
Re: Rhoda by itslyrix: 4:04pm On Sep 14, 2016
missuniverse:
i think dis is Flashback

i think miss model survived

I think a close relative died in the past...

who was she

yeah, i believe its a close relative.
remember she mentioned earlier that a cousin of hers committed suicide.
tired of guessing jare
Re: Rhoda by frozenfirenaija(f): 8:40pm On Sep 14, 2016
Episode 70(b)
"You only live once" my sister had said at the funeral. My cousin, Tito had committed suicide the previous day. Tito was born prematurely and even though the doctors did their best to save the foetus, she suffered complications that led to serious medical conditions.
She had developed retinopathy of prematurity which was a eye disorder that caused abnormal development of blood vessels in the eye that displaces the retina away from its original position. She had gone through surgery several times but what was lost could never be regained. She ended up changing the lens of her glasses according to her opticians prescription.

Once Mother told me she lagged behind in school due to her impaired cognitive skills which explained why she had repeated several classes and finally graduated secondary school a week before her Nineteenth birthday.
Her age mates discriminated her because of her slow and incomparable reasoning. Something I believe was due to envy.
Tito was such a beauty.

At birth, the doctors didn't diagnose more than her immature respiratory system but as she grew up, her health became worse and she developed a chronic lung disease known as bronchupulmonary dysplasia which had continued to cause respiratory distress. She had fainted more than a dozen times due to insufficient oxygen and prolonged pausing of her breathing. It didn't get better.
Her Mother, my Aunt didn't make things better. She hated the problem child she had carried for seven months instead of nine, the disappointment who was supposed to live after her and inherit what she had laboured for as a single Mother, the very beautiful imperfection she had placed her hope on.
And such beauty turned out to be a disgrace.
And such beauty had gone to waste.

"You only live once" it rang in my head and I shivered out of the memory. The water was still running and the splashes were harder and sharper against my back. Splashes that hadn't jerked me out of my thought but now struck me loudly competing with my heart beat.
Sister wasn't going to live once. She had to live again. She had to breathe again. I panicked and tilted her head back ward, raising her chin up to the ceiling. Her neck was incredibly longer at such pose but that wasn't something to make me marvelled at the time. Seconds was passing and time wasn't waiting for me. I had to bring her back before she crossed the thin astral line dividing the body and the soul. Before she actually died.
I bent over and pinched her nose. Then shifted to her lips,her lips were tightly pressed. I arched my thumb and my index finger mildly parting her wet lips, I bent over her and breathed into her mouth. Hard yet calm, heavy yet mild for I was scared... Very scared.
I continued the chest compressions and if I had counted, I pumped at least a hundred times every minute even though my arms begged for mercy, I didn't for once think of giving up. There was no help, I was the help. I had to call myself, my physical strength and inner determination to save a life. To be a saviour for once in my life.

If she didn't breathe in the next five minute, she could have one of the complications caused by lack of oxygenated blood in the body. Short-term or long-term brain damage, neither was a better choice. I had to be the sister in need. I had to put my pain aside and look at the result I was trying to get. To help her breathe.
To save her.

Her chest rose and I heard the best sounds I have ever heard anyone make. It wasn't my first time hearing them but at the time, it was the best gift God could have ever given me.

My sister coughed obviously choking on the water that she was vomiting. I massaged her chest and throat mildly, adjusting her till she was very comfortable. Her eyelids flickered and gently opened. Her eyes were very red and mine was filled with tears.
I had battled death with her and we had won. It was the best feeling in my life. I couldn't have ever been happier and as I continued to massage her chest telling her everything would be fine and how much I loved and cherished her, how worried I had been and how I would continue to be a sister in need to her, I realised I had decieved myself all this while.

Searching for peace where it didn't exist. Mixing up love, sex and love for sex. Love didn't have to be from an opposite sex neither did it have to sexual. Love was a beautiful feeling of acceptance, adoration and self believe. It didn't have to promise silver or gold nor did it have to promise a life time in a diamond castle. Love was love.

It didn't matter if Adam was with me or lade. It didn't matter if Mofe was hitting on Kwame. It didn't matter how long Father and I had been in an inordinate relationship.
I was in love with my sister and I would be there for her.
You only live once but you can live again when you realize your mistakes and make amends.
Like me.

I won't ever rush my relationship with anyone. I won't ever mix up love and lust anymore because I would be killing this personality and live a new life. Live again.
Sister coughed again and this time she sounded better. She sat up by her self and I went over to the shower and turned it off. The bathroom became quiet except the dripping of water from the tub and the sucking sound as I removed the strainer that had constrained the water from flowing.
I turned around glad that everything was going to be okay but then I saw Father standing at the door without his usual grin.

End of Season 1.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Rhoda by frozenfirenaija(f): 8:54pm On Sep 14, 2016
itslyrix:

love ur writting skills...
full of suspense nd d way u bring d flash baks in is rili cool..
u re rili talented. u shld ve ur own blog.
keep up d gud work.
yea am working on my blog o am trying my best

2 Likes

Re: Rhoda by bummybummy(f): 9:34pm On Sep 14, 2016
d suspense z jst too much, i tout her aunty z d one dat died before
Re: Rhoda by Olabantu(m): 9:51pm On Sep 14, 2016
Thanks for the twist
Re: Rhoda by Eniqurl(f): 10:08pm On Sep 14, 2016
Wow! Please mention me when u wahn start the second season
Re: Rhoda by Rukkydelta(f): 10:14pm On Sep 14, 2016
Nice one Frozenfirenaija. I love the way you give suspense.
Please don't forget to mention me and my nl boo 'hefelove' in the season2 Osmiley
Re: Rhoda by Rukkydelta(f): 10:15pm On Sep 14, 2016
Please don't forget to mention me and my nl boo 'hefelove' in the season2 Osmiley
Re: Rhoda by Darmilollar(f): 9:35am On Sep 15, 2016
As if it shouldnt finish,buh @ frozenfire pls mention me too wen u wanna start the second season
Re: Rhoda by RoastedCorn(m): 9:50am On Sep 15, 2016
nice one
Re: Rhoda by frozenfirenaija(f): 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2016
Darmilollar:
As if it shouldnt finish,buh @ frozenfire pls mention me too wen u wanna start the second season
lol, I'll surely mention u
Rukkydelta:
yes ma I will ma
Eniqurl:
Wow! Please mention me when u wahn start the second season
I will o
RoastedCorn:
nice one
thanks soo much sha turn ur roasted corn to pop corn before the next season of Rhoda
Olabantu:
Thanks for the twist
ooshey thanks for reading
bummybummy:
d suspense z jst too much, i tout her aunty z d one dat died before
lol thanks for reading sis
moisef I will mention u too ooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

African Nerd / Out Of The Blue / House Of Secrets : A Story By Angelsss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.