Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? (667 Views)

"I Wouldn't Trade My Skin Color For The World"- Us-based Cameroonian Model, Mimi / Pick Your Preference In Order : Ladies Only / They Bullied Her Due To Her Skin Color Now She's Taking The Internet By Storm. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? by Abarekiller: 8:50pm On Aug 04, 2016
Either dark skin or light skin. Like a person has a preference, but they do not detract or belittle other colors and do not exclude them, they just favor a certain color. Would it be colorism?

1 Like

Re: Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? by Nobody: 8:54pm On Aug 04, 2016
I dey come make I eat finish
Re: Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 04, 2016
It's just individual preferences
It's now when you despise or act favourably only towards a particular skin tone that it can be termed as "colourism".
Re: Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 04, 2016
The poster above me has said it all
Re: Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? by AfroKnight: 9:56pm On Aug 04, 2016
Well, colorism would be an overstatement in this case as what is at play is simply preference and not outright hostile prejudice. This preference of skin tone almost only comes up when matters of attraction and beauty are discussed. I don't think it is serious enough to be a real threat to darkskin ladies.

I just find it curious that a lady would be deemed beautiful because of her skin tone. Simplistic, to say the least. Probably evidence of a serious hangover from colonialism.

Whatever happened to shape, size and proportion of facial features and delicate curves? Those are the real markers of human beauty. (IMO)

I have seen many fair chicks with strong unladylike jaws, arms, gait and cheekbones referred to as beautiful. I strongly suspect that if said ladies were dark, the same observers would call them ugly. So you see the conceit. Skin colour should not be a parameter for beauty. Any such preference is not colorism but certainly borders on it.

1 Like

Re: Is It Colorism To Have A Skin Color Preference In Terms Of Beauty? by Abarekiller: 10:12pm On Aug 04, 2016
What would this description be:

Heera is the plural of Heer’, meaning a young, beautiful, fine woman with white complexion and intensely black eyes (iris).

Just a preference?

(1) (Reply)

Shocker Of The Decade / 10 Places You Shouldn’t Take Your Girl To On A First Date / 5 Things Every Nigeria Lady Knows But Will Never Tell You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.