Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,873 members, 7,828,111 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? (4221 Views)

Boko Haram Uses Special Roofs To Evade Air Bombardment —Army / Ibadan Land Of Brown Roofs; Glory Of The Grey Haired / Buhari At The 8th Bola Tinubu Colloquium In Abuja (Live Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by KnowAll(m): 10:38am On Aug 06, 2016
Literreal translation of agbo-ile in english means " cluster of houses " .
Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by sCun: 10:45am On Aug 06, 2016
KnowAll:
Those brown roofs are what they call agbo-ile in Ibadan. Agbo-Ile means your ancestral home just like igbo's have villages. Ibadan people don't have villages they have agbo-i-les. It is what makes u an ibadan man. If u say u come from Ibadan the people will ask u which agbo-ile did u come from same like saying which village do u come from.
What about the ones in abeokuta and Oshogbo, what are they called?

2 Likes

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by omofunaab(m): 10:47am On Aug 06, 2016
Na wa oooo, so since when did the color of your roofing sheets become something you can use to measure development.. ..okay we don hear south west people are suffering yet igbos troop here to come and suffer with us.. .abeg make una use ur brain na
Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by omofunaab(m): 10:49am On Aug 06, 2016
sCun:
What about the ones in abeokuta and Oshogbo, what are they called?

We have Agbo-ile here in abeokuta... ..there are historical abode.. .make una use ur sense
Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by sCun: 10:54am On Aug 06, 2016
omofunaab:

We have Agbo-ile here in abeokuta... ..there are historical abode.. .make una use ur sense
Historical indeed. Some who have the means are already changing their roofs and building more modern and hygienic houses, many would have done if not for poverty in the south wàste. Imagine the rats, mosquitoes and snakes there.
[img]http://taught2teach.files./2013/05/ng_olumo-rock20.png[/img]

3 Likes

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by KnowAll(m): 10:57am On Aug 06, 2016
The igbo's especially the younger ones should understand that yoruba's live in towns not villages. In the early 1950 's out of the 20 biggest urban centres in Nigeria, 17 where in the SW. Then places Enugu and PH were villages. These SW towns have being in existence since the 1860's and we are in 2016. Some of those corrugated sheets were done between 1870 and 1900's. U cannot compare such legacy with towns that just started booming after d idoji awards of d 1970's.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by sCun: 10:59am On Aug 06, 2016
KnowAll:
The igbo's especially the younger ones should understand that yoruba's live in towns not villages. In the early 1950 's out of the 20 biggest urban centres in Nigeria, 17 where in the SW. Then places Enugu and PH were villages. These SW towns have being in existence since the 1860's and we are in 2016. Some of those corrugated sheets were done between 1870 and 1900's. U cannot compare such legacy with towns that just started booming after d idoji awards of d 1970's.

1870s indeed

3 Likes

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by omofunaab(m): 11:08am On Aug 06, 2016
sCun:
Historical indeed. Some who have the means are already changing their roofs and building more modern and hygienic houses, many would have done if not for poverty in the south wàste. Imagine the rats, mosquitoes and snakes there.
[img]http://taught2teach.files./2013/05/ng_olumo-rock20.png[/img]

Lol, some of your uncles and grandfathers are renting these unhygienic house when they come to sell gala in abeokuta

1 Like

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by sCun: 11:21am On Aug 06, 2016
omofunaab:

Lol, some of your uncles and grandfathers are renting these unhygienic house when they come to sell gala in abeokuta
They are no more historical abodes, they are actually for rent?

4 Likes

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by omofunaab(m): 11:32am On Aug 06, 2016
sCun:
They are no more historical abodes, they are actually for rent?

Ofcourse they are historical abodes but since we don't want your kinsmen sleeping under our flyovers and in our garages.. .we made them manage a room apartment there.. ..mind you they even prefer it there coz of their status here in abeokuta.. ..my friend's owns three car wash in abeokuta.. .he employs mostly igbo boys and Ghana people.. They live with my grandma at AGBO-Ile

1 Like

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by sCun: 11:38am On Aug 06, 2016
omofunaab:

Ofcourse they are historical abodes but since we don't want your kinsmen sleeping under our flyovers and in our garages.. .we made them manage a room apartment there.. ..mind you they even prefer it there coz of their status here in abeokuta.. ..my friend's owns three car wash in abeokuta.. .he employs mostly igbo boys and Ghana people.. They live with my grandma at AGBO-Ile
I believe you

1 Like

Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by Mathemagician1(m): 4:31pm On Aug 06, 2016
Honestly, I don't understand this crop of Nigerians. Every corner of Nigeria is a sh*it hole. So i don't get if you guys are contesting whose sh*it hole is more fvcked-up than the other.

You niggas are sick!
Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 06, 2016
craziebone:
I was coming into Lagos 2days ago when we came to Ibadan and on getting to Iwo rd turning towards the toll gate, a sea of corrogated roofs can be seen on both sides of the road. Then it came to my mind if we could push for the corrogated roofs to become a UNESCO designated world heritage site.

This is not about dissing Ibadan and the Yoruba people. Its just that the brown roofs are begining to carve a cultural niche for itself. A daughter of Ibadan also tittled her book "under the Brown Roof".

Brown roofs of Ibadan is my brainchild on nairaland since 2013.

Hmm, a long way...
Re: Should The Brown Roofs Of Ibadan Become The 8th Wonder Of The World? by Bolacocaine: 5:22pm On Jul 27, 2023
Afonjeezxy never change roof since 2016

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathans Regime Compared To President Buharis Regime. Listed Facts / Anambra Election: APC Blasts Southeast Leaders / Before You Go To Saraki's House: Our Tin God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.