Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,101 members, 7,818,293 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" (21443 Views)

Not IBB, Nor OBJ… Meet The Men Who Will Deny Buhari A 2nd Term By Mayowa Tijani / Anenih Opens Up On Abiola’s Annulled June 12 Mandate / 12 Personalities Who Played Key Roles In June 12 Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by emamos: 10:22am On Aug 05, 2016
A former chief judge of the Federal High Court, Abuja, Justice Dahiru Saleh (retd.), who tied the last judicial knot before the annulment of the June 12, 1993, presidential election has absolved former President Ibrahim Babangida of culpability over the issue.

Saleh, while taking responsibility for the annulment, also faulted the failure of Chief Moshood Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the election, to appeal his decision.

Justice Saleh had in June 1993 ordered the then National Electoral Commission, NEC, to stop further release of the results of the election upon the claim that the election itself should not have been conducted in the first place.

He had cited the mid-night ruling on June 11, 1993, by Justice Bassey Ikpeme that the election should not hold.

The Prof. Humphrey Nwosu-led NEC had upon the provisions of Decree 13 of 1993 which ousted the courts from derailing the transition programme, gone ahead to conduct the election on June 12 which turned out to be one of the best organised elections in the history of the country.

Speaking toThe Interview,a magazine publication, the former jurist fully absolved Babangida of any role in the issue, even as he expressed no regrets over the ruling which led to a five-year impasse in the march towards democracy.

Besides, several lives were lost in the agitation for the manifestation of the mandate.
However,Vanguardrecalls that Babangida in his address to the nation cancelling the June 12 election had noted the failure of the judiciary, which he said behaved less than satisfactorily and alleged the use of money in the election as he said as much as N2.1 billion was expended by the two presidential candidates, Chief Moshood Abiola and Alhaji Bashir Tofa.

Babangida also alleged that the election should not have been held on June 12 following dissonances that preceded the election.

Asked if he was pressured by Babangida who was at that time the military president of the country, he said: “The former President did nothing of the sort. There were so many cases, and I cannot remember all the cases off-hand.

“There was the case against MKO Abiola, and it was before one of my judges; she was Igbo, but I can’t remember her name. She started the case, then fell sick and was flown out of the country for treatment.
“Then there was another case against him (MKO Abiola), and I had to transfer the case from the other judge’s court to my court. During that time, it turned out that Abiola didn’t even finish the case before he disappeared. Later, I learned he had been arrested by authorities.”

Says Abiola refused to appeal ruling

He noted that Abiola, the candidate of Social Democratic Party, SDP, should have appealed the ruling if he was not satisfied.

He said: “The judicial system was still open, but he chose not to follow it. Why no one followed up the annulment of the election in the higher courts is best known to members of Abiola’s party at that time.
“If he, as an individual, was not interested, there must have been other people who would be interested to see the end of the story, but they didn’t appeal.
“They were very close, and there were so many assumptions regarding the relationship between the two of them.

“But the point is, in those days, the Yorubas wanted Abiola to become president; he was seen as a kind and considerate man to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
“Unfortunately, he wanted to be the president, but he couldn’t be. While the political blame must be on President Babangida, he (Babangida) did nothing of the sort to stop him, using my court.

“I think I was in service when I first came to know him. I can’t remember the time. But I only came to know him well after his retirement.

“I was already Chief Judge when he was President. He came and met me there, and he left me there. But while he was in office, we had no personal relationship. He was my boss; I was his subject.

“Anybody not satisfied with what I was doing as Chief Judge could appeal to the Court of Appeal and then to the Supreme Court, simple. And I have no regrets, none whatever. No regrets. I would repeat the same thing now.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/blame-not-babangida-june-12-annulment-ex-chief-judge/

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Paulpaulpaul(m): 10:48am On Aug 05, 2016
Who will blame you and make you somewhat relevant. You have played your passive role in history and you are gone and forgotten. All I wish and pray for is that the blood of those who lost their lives continuously be on your head.

How would MKO appeal when he was locked up?

Posterity shall judge some people but Saleh was and still a peck in history. The bad of June 12 and its blames belong to IBB.

85 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by veekid(m): 12:42pm On Aug 05, 2016
Na u sabi

5 Likes

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2016
Who u com epp?

8 Likes

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Nobody: 12:43pm On Aug 05, 2016
hmmm
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Emeskhalifa(m): 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2016
dat wan no go stil reduce the hatred wey som ppl geh for IBB

3 Likes

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by smartolala(m): 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2016
Hmm
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Cornerstone001: 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2016
But how on earth has that better your life??
Is that all you've got to say
www.nairaland.com/attachments/3970282_20160630142459_jpeg8470ad9712802c19d35edd61c5e0a06c

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by MadCow1: 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2016
Good Job..

That election was too free and fair and had to be annulled. angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by obaival(m): 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2016
And them!!
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Ruchidera(f): 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2016
Story for the gods.
The fact remains that IBB was the commander in Chief during this period and would have
given the Judge directive... embarassed

Whatever, JUNE 12 is dead since MKO passed on followed by his wife Kudirat embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Nobody: 12:45pm On Aug 05, 2016
WHO THIS CONFESSION HELP

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by iykedare(m): 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2016
Hhd
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Gladiator1: 12:46pm On Aug 05, 2016
Clap for yaself grin

2 Likes

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by datola: 12:48pm On Aug 05, 2016
(In)Justice Saleh, the Devil's Advocate.

1 Like

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by falcon01: 12:49pm On Aug 05, 2016

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
Who the fu*k cares
You telling us this now after all these years is just to distract us from the main issue angry

And the main issue now
1. Dollar is 400 and still going up.
2. They say I should not marry a man who no get work, but my boyfriend no get work but he's got so much potential just that the economy di bad.
3. Who get light, I wan charge my phone. I never see light for house for 3 days now grin

And before I forget.... I no sabi cook.... cry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by mrspotors: 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
ok
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Nwaoguta(m): 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
na greediness kill abiola.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Articul8(m): 12:50pm On Aug 05, 2016
Y you no talk this one in 1993? Time has healed the wound already.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by businessweb: 12:51pm On Aug 05, 2016
Weldone
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by johnsonjosbles(m): 12:52pm On Aug 05, 2016
Imagine weyrey old fool talking now! Where was his gost all this while? Ok maybe he just had stroke and were speaking from one side of his mouth cometh gibrish.
He should as well claim respnsibility for the dead and get himself sentenced for capital punishment.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Boyooosa(m): 12:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
Stephen has remnants.
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Truthisit: 12:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
He wants to be heard from irrelevancy and obscurity. IBB masterminded everything with the Northern oligarchy.
June 12 cancellation is the biggest conspiracy against democracy in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by ALAYORMII: 12:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
Why are you just opening Ur basket mouth now

Kam nnukwa

Sie ba puo
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Nobody: 12:53pm On Aug 05, 2016
Vanillaskin:
Who cares

NFCS does undecided
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by Tmonex: 12:54pm On Aug 05, 2016
Do you need a company a logo ,banner or graphics designs
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by masseratti: 12:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
In other words, am sorry to throw this up, but Hausa Fulanis and Igbos "elites"did not want MKO to be president, even tho he was part of the elites but Yoruba, even though majority of hausa fulanis and Igbos masses vote for MKO, point os our elites no matter the tribe have been screwing us since 1960, playing game of thrones on our head, a judgment carried out in the midnight is what Lives were lost on, the other one, Gowon said because Nigeria map would have looked funny that's why He went to war, restructure the system, a Christian ooo, now we are in this mess, he forgot that the present North east was not part of Nigeria until the 50s, the land mass the present North east gave to the North is was the beginning of our problems coupled with leaders that wanted to live like the white men did before they left.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by anungangampu: 12:56pm On Aug 05, 2016
“But the point is, in those days,
the Yorubas wanted Abiola to
become president; he was seen
as a kind and considerate man
to every Tom, Dick, and Harry.
“Unfortunately, he wanted to be
the president, but he couldn’t
be. While the political blame
must be on President
Babangida, he (Babangida) did
nothing of the sort to stop him,
using my court.
“I think I was in service when I
first came to know him. I can’t
remember the time. But I only
came to know him well after his
retirement.
“I was already Chief Judge when
he was President. He came and
met me there, and he left me
there. But while he was in office,
we had no personal
relationship. He was my boss; I
was his subject.
“Anybody not satisfied with
what I was doing as Chief Judge
could appeal to the Court of
Appeal and then to the Supreme
Court, simple. And I have no
regrets, none whatever. No
regrets. I would repeat the same
thing now.”
The Boldness in this write up is somehow questionable. Was he replying to a particular tribe or he just like other northern leaders have no reverence for whoever the southerners call their hero.
The day Murtalla mohammed was remembered it was a national remembrance day. The day Abiola was remembered it was just a family Gathering. The day of heroes igbos remember their fallen brothers They were shot as if it was a taboo for any igbo man to honour their heroes, same way people were arrested the day Ojukwu was remembered .

It leads me to ask... Are Nigerian citizens Categorised.
Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by kgr8mike(m): 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2016
Clap for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Dahiru Saleh: "I Annulled June 12 Election, Not IBB" by usmanktg2(m): 12:59pm On Aug 05, 2016
g

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lai Mohammed Congratulates Anthony Joshua, FG To Invite Him Soon / Blame Nnamdi Kanu If Violence Erupts In Nigeria: Northern Coalition / Akpabio And Boss Mustapha Visit Wamakko (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.