Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,509 members, 7,836,961 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis (1134 Views)

Poverty Rate Of The 36 States In Nigeria By United Nation Poverty Index / My Idea To Get Us Out Of Recession By Mrvitalis / Why I Don't Support Biafra By Mrvitalis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by mrvitalis(m): 6:37am On Aug 07, 2016
my English writing has never been the best so please try to understand and make meaning of my massages

The Nigerian situation has been going from bad to worse over the years, so many people blame so many things and we keep going in circles

We need, roads, electricity, hood hospital, well equipped schools, loan grant to people, infrastructure up gread..

All politicians come and promise this things and when they enter the complain of the same thing lack of found

To run Nigeria smoothly for a year I figured we would need over 10 trillion... So the main problem with Nigeria is how to raise a revenue of about 15 trillion per year

Can we raise such? Of course we can and we don't have to copy any other nations style

How to we achieve that?? Taxation

Yes no nation Survives without tax and taxing makes the people interested in checking the political class and it gives money to run the country... So it is very important

So u want Nigerians to be taxed 30 trillion naira so that FG can get 15 trillion?? Yea... They are already taxed that much... But the remiters refused to return or in most case don't even know about it

We have a GDP of atleast 350 billion dollars and the government is intiled to 5% of that and that will give u close to 6 trillion per year

Transportation tax should be implemented for airport and road mentainace, the average Nigeria spends over 50,000 on transportation per year and the government can tax this 8% for road maintenance through a reformed NURTW
That's would yeild 640 billion that means FG has 320 billion for road maintenance

The average Nigerian is religious and this industry is untaxed... The average Nigerian spends over 10000 on religion every month, in terms of tite, seed and offerings ans the Muslim donations and it will be no sin if 40% tax is imposed on this money and used for education and health alone
And that would be able to generate over (5-cool trillion naira and that's means the fedral government would have ((2.5 - 4) trillion to fix the education and health sectors every year

Income tax also should be reduced to 5% and every firm no me how small should be mad to pay the minimum wage and it's workers taxed 5% with over 20 million Nigerians working and making am average of 60,000 per month that's should generate over that's extra 360 billion the fedral government

With oil revenue And customs revenue put as 3 trillion the fedral government show make 1.5 trillion naira

With all this money the fedral revenue would be close to 10 trillion and with this money even a fool would work for Nigeria and people would see his works

So all we need is a tax reform and make the people understand what they are paying for
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by eph12(m): 6:54am On Aug 07, 2016
While taxation is very compulsory and the way forward, our government needs to ease up the pain of paying tax. How much does the government need to provide at least 18 hours electricity to Nigerians? This is the number one priority as far as am concerned. Nigerians will automatically become more productive if we have light to work with and relax. Most families spend nothing less than 300k yearly on fuel. An average company in Nigeria spends an average of 800k - 1 million on fuel yearly. Imagine what this money could have done if used for better things. Upon this electricity bills are still being brought regularly and since there is no meter we have to pay up.
Ask the government to give us good roads and constant electricity and we will gladly pay tax. Nobody would default.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by babs01(m): 7:00am On Aug 07, 2016
We only need one point agenda in every four four years, let say light for this tenure then road another tenure may be by another person and so on.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by mrvitalis(m): 3:26pm On Aug 08, 2016
eph12:
While taxation is very compulsory and the way forward, our government needs to ease up the pain of paying tax. How much does the government need to provide at least 18 hours electricity to Nigerians? This is the number one priority as far as am concerned. Nigerians will automatically become more productive if we have light to work with and relax. Most families spend nothing less than 300k yearly on fuel. An average company in Nigeria spends an average of 800k - 1 million on fuel yearly. Imagine what this money could have done if used for better things. Upon this electricity bills are still being brought regularly and since there is no meter we have to pay up.
Ask the government to give us good roads and constant electricity and we will gladly pay tax. Nobody would default.
The truth is we need over 50 billion dollars to achieve 18 hours power supply and if the money is available it would take like 3 years
And that's like 18 billion dollars per year and u see from my calculations that's is achievable if we implement good taxing system
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by Legitbaba(m): 3:46pm On Aug 08, 2016
Oh Mr OP....I like you very much, cos u are funny and makes me laugh all the time.. lolz...I tot you were one of those who said the Niger Delta dosnt need more money because they have nothing to show for the 13℅ derivation they have been receiving?? Were u not shouting upandown that we should hold our governors responsible??
You want to tax the already impoverished citizens because you want more money to b generated for our sentors?? Or for Dogara and co to pad the budget again?? Or for Buhari to fly around the world??
When they can't show anything for the few trillions they have received (still receiving)??

Your way of thinking, "Niger Delta dosnt need more money because their governors are corrupt, but Nigeria need more money, because what they have is not enough"

Laughable

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by eph12(m): 4:04pm On Aug 08, 2016
mrvitalis:

The truth is we need over 50 billion dollars to achieve 18 hours power supply and if the money is available it would take like 3 years
And that's like 18 billion dollars per year and u see from my calculations that's is achievable if we implement good taxing system
So we pay heavy tax and buy fuel and an expensive rate and you say we should be patient till next three years?
Let our politicians reduce their salaries and bonuses for 3 years and see what you will get. We are paying heavy taxes already what else do you want? If you are not I am.

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by mrvitalis(m): 4:32pm On Aug 08, 2016
eph12:

So we pay heavy tax and buy fuel and an expensive rate and you say we should be patient till next three years?
Let our politicians reduce their salaries and bonuses for 3 years and see what you will get. We are paying heavy taxes already what else do you want? If you are not I am.
Am not asking the masses to pay extra tax... No all am asking is for the total collection of the one we pay already
The church are the one who would pay extra tax
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by mrvitalis(m): 4:37pm On Aug 08, 2016
Legitbaba:
Oh Mr OP....I like you very much, cos u are funny and makes me laugh all the time.. lolz...I tot you were one of those who said the Niger Delta dosnt need more money because they have nothing to show for the 13℅ derivation they have been receiving?? Were u not shouting upandown that we should hold our governors responsible??
You want to tax the already impoverished citizens because you want more money to b generated for our sentors?? Or for Dogara and co to pad the budget again?? Or for Buhari to fly around the world??
When they can't show anything for the few trillions they have received (still receiving)??

Your way of thinking, "Niger Delta dosnt need more money because their governors are corrupt, but Nigeria need more money, because what they have is not enough"

Laughable
If Nigeria was as rich as Akwa-Ibom I don't think we would be here
What is Nigerian capital budget?? That's what is important
There is never enough money for anyone or country...
My stand is this Niger Delta is supposed to be the most developed region in Nigeria based on the revenue they receive
If Niger Delta need more money there is ways to get it and not militancy
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by eph12(m): 5:32pm On Aug 08, 2016
mrvitalis:

Am not asking the masses to pay extra tax... No all am asking is for the total collection of the one we pay already
The church are the one who would pay extra tax
And who is going to do the total collection? See ehn the money we generate is enough to achieve something. If not we can partner with private investors just like Lagos did for the 4th mainland bridge. If only we can e truthful with ourselves we can achieve with our internally generated revenue.
Let each state control it's resources. Every governor should be responsible for the electricity generation, security, health etc of its States
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by mrvitalis(m): 5:49pm On Aug 08, 2016
eph12:

And who is going to do the total collection? See ehn the money we generate is enough to achieve something. If not we can partner with private investors just like Lagos did for the 4th mainland bridge. If only we can e truthful with ourselves we can achieve with our internally generated revenue.
Let each state control it's resources. Every governor should be responsible for the electricity generation, security, health etc of its States
What is our total revenue??
What is the wage bill??
What us used for loan servicing??
What's is left??
These money is actually collected and is eaten by few people
And why shouldn't churches pay tax??
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by eph12(m): 7:28pm On Aug 08, 2016
mrvitalis:

What is the wage bill??
What's is left??
I don't remember saying churches shouldn't pay tax.
Let the states compete with themselves on how to move their States forward. Not lazying around and waiting for manna from Abuja. That's my position on the way forward for this country if not I see us just wasting our time and years.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by mrvitalis(m): 7:55pm On Aug 08, 2016
eph12:

I don't remember saying churches shouldn't pay tax.
Let the states compete with themselves on how to move their States forward. Not lazying around and waiting for manna from Abuja. That's my position on the way forward for this country if not I see us just wasting our time and years.
That's not my problem, what ever system we practice my points are still valid
.. States must pay atleast 30% tax to the fedral government so it's still valid
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by freshdude99(m): 9:05am On Sep 03, 2016
Legitbaba:

Laughable
That op has a very linear reasoning pattern. That's wat u get wen one live all his life in a particular region. Nigeria is a very diverse country with so many lies been told over the years. He still young, so many of these lies flying around still appeals to but soon he will be older and more matured, maybe then he will understand better that regions was more prosperous prior to independence than now.
Competition among states or regions is the only onion that can fuel effective tax system and infrastructural development

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by critique2(m): 9:38am On Sep 03, 2016
How did we get here?
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by homosapien(m): 12:23pm On Sep 03, 2016
In as much as I will want to agree with the Op, I believe solving Nigeria problem doesn't depend on increase taxation, rather a restructure system of fiscal federalism.

Development from my little understanding should start from the lower level rather from the top that is, local government should start been proactive up to state level. Provision of infrastructure shouldn't be a sole federal government responsibility rather, that power should be devolved

Look at the current system, everybody speaks of federal government, what happen to our various state governors and local government chairman after all, the feeding bottle system been practice allows to States to depend on Abuja for everything without the governors thinking outside the box. The question is what happens to the billions collected by governors every month, what happen to the little taxation collected so far which you claim it isn't enough? Objectively answer my question then you know where I am coming from.

My recommendations to the quagmire Nigeria finds itself now is

Restructure the country not just the economy, let all states control both human and Natural resources. Let practice real federalism and not this unitary system.

I believe restructuring is Keys to the way forward. In as much as region think they are been exploited and called others parasite, we will continue to run in circles without a tangible Achievements. Because it such thinking that breeds hatred, corruption dissident, Economy saboteur as so on.

If Rivers as a state is allowed to control it oil resources, provides her citizens with power, education, health, food, and other social infrastructure, and remit some percentage as tax to the central government, believe me there will be healthy competition and rivalry among state which will stimulate growth. It is on the premise I believe effective taxation will work.

Without true federalism, the I chop you chop system currently running now won't stop and we shall continue to see more of Boko haram, IPOB, Niger delta Avengers, Opc, and other armed state actors.

My humble opinion though.

Cc mrvitalis

1 Like

Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:08am On Jan 11, 2022
mrvitalis:

If Nigeria was as rich as Akwa-Ibom I don't think we would be here
What is Nigerian capital budget?? That's what is important
There is never enough money for anyone or country...
My stand is this Niger Delta is supposed to be the most developed region in Nigeria based on the revenue they receive
If Niger Delta need more money there is ways to get it and not militancy
what ways is that.
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by MIKOLOWISKA: 4:10am On Jan 11, 2022
mrvitalis:

What is the wage bill??
What's is left??
cos they are charities (not talking about the ones that are producing things like publishing actually selling stuff o although I generally abhor govt and taxation )
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by ChiefOkporghe: 12:49pm On Feb 04
homosapien:
In as much as I will want to agree with the Op, I believe solving Nigeria problem doesn't depend on increase taxation, rather a restructure system of fiscal federalism.

Development from my little understanding should start from the lower level rather from the top that is, local government should start been proactive up to state level. Provision of infrastructure shouldn't be a sole federal government responsibility rather, that power should be devolved

Look at the current system, everybody speaks of federal government, what happen to our various state governors and local government chairman after all, the feeding bottle system been practice allows to States to depend on Abuja for everything without the governors thinking outside the box. The question is what happens to the billions collected by governors every month, what happen to the little taxation collected so far which you claim it isn't enough? Objectively answer my question then you know where I am coming from.

My recommendations to the quagmire Nigeria finds itself now is

Restructure the country not just the economy, let all states control both human and Natural resources. Let practice real federalism and not this unitary system.

I believe restructuring is Keys to the way forward. In as much as region think they are been exploited and called others parasite, we will continue to run in circles without a tangible Achievements. Because it such thinking that breeds hatred, corruption dissident, Economy saboteur as so on.

If Rivers as a state is allowed to control it oil resources, provides her citizens with power, education, health, food, and other social infrastructure, and remit some percentage as tax to the central government, believe me there will be healthy competition and rivalry among state which will stimulate growth. It is on the premise I believe effective taxation will work.

Without true federalism, the I chop you chop system currently running now won't stop and we shall continue to see more of Boko haram, IPOB, Niger delta Avengers, Opc, and other armed state actors.

My humble opinion though.

Cc mrvitalis
Re: The Problem With Nigeria By Mrvitalis by Buccalcavity2: 3:02pm On Feb 04
@Op I am glad some of you are coming around now.
No need for extra tax yet. Let all the known tax be efficiently collected and from ALL DUE. Revenue will double.
Automation and leaving FIRS to do collection for all agencies. It's already happening. Country's revenue profile will change.
Also anticorruption agencies should extra focus on civil service.

(1) (Reply)

Morning Tea: Aisha Buhari Goes To America In Her Dream / Nairaland Restaurant Spotted In The US (pics) / OLD PHOTO: Late Gani Fawehinmi, Dele Momodu And Sir Shina Peters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.