Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,283 members, 7,811,834 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) (71695 Views)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:15am On Dec 27, 2019
motherfucker:
Good Morning Lovely Family,

I come in peace and I wish to indulge your collective contribution to my search. There seems to be air of misconception filled with untrue ideologies on igbo custom of marriage and bride price--at least from the majority of non-igbos who wish to marry an igbo lady.

I do understand that igbos are of diverse customs, tribe and tradition, which stipulate different rules, requirements when it comes to issues of marrying a lady from such regions.

Several months ago, a particular thread hit front page which was created by blogger flirtykaren; I mean lailasblog.com. In that thread, an image of list of items that should be presented by the groom was captured. The reaction of readers to the said list or thread announced displeasure. Some could be heard saying that Igbos sell their daughters; others asked are they gold? Others said they will never marry an Igbo lady. It went on and on.

source: https://www.nairaland.com/3054077/2016-bride-price-umuahia-abia

The sad part about the above mentioned event in that thread is that over 100 blogs have copied same content, same image and thereby circulating what might not be true. I can tell you that that report might be doing more harm than good, beyond what we might imagine. How did I know, I did a google search for the keyword phrase :"Abia State Bride Price". What I saw was a circulation of flirtykaren's post. Some other guys might do a google search and will be greeted by same reportage, which could be detrimental to potential bride of igbo extract.

A certain section of the thread claimed that in their own custom, it is relatively cheap/ affordable to marry a from his/her own tribe. Another said that the list is lie and nothing like that exist in their place. This captured my reason for creating this thread. I would want us to give potential non igbo groom the right information. This could mean that flirtykaren, just like many bloggers in Nigeria, didn't do thorough research and investigation before reporting such thread.

Numerous threads have also been created on same topic which still caused uproar by non igbos while some still claim it is not expensive to marry from their region. Is that the case? Wouldn't be nice if you (those who claim it is not expensive) to educate us on how it is done with broken down procedures?

Are you from Imo State, Anambra State, Ebonyi State, Abia State, Enugu State? What part of these states are you from? Can you be kind and humble enough to educate us how traditional marriage is carried out in your tribe among this states? I want specifics according to how it is done village by village, clan by clan and not one that represent the entire Igbo tribe.

I decided to put this here because we have more married folks around here, as against the Culture section and since Nairaland is quickly indexed, this could serve as panacea or palliative in the future among blogs.

Please this is very important. Thank you for your time.

There's something I need to understand please....
Why are we trying to explain to the non igbos about The bride price issues? If 200,000 naira is too much of him to pay let himarry his own tribe, I dont understand what the fuse is about.

We owe nobody, especially the non igbos, we owe them no explanation whatsoever about the bride price or the culture and practice, y'all should please stick with your tribe.
One minute you drag Igbo girls, the next minute you want to be their husband.
Unu nile bukwa ndi ara otu n'otu.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:19am On Dec 27, 2019
motherfucker:
Hold, you mean he spent 300k for everything, as in bride price + list of items+ celebration (food, drinks, etc)?
Yes�
Why are you surprised

You can see that all the exaggeration y'all make of it isn't even close to what it is.
Mtcheeww.

If you are not igbo please stick with your tribe.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:22am On Dec 27, 2019
TheArchangel:
Idemili here.
They collected 2000 naira on top my head after a thorough painstaking bargaining of my net worth. I was later old how expensive I was according to them compared to the 500 naira and 1000 naira ladies they were marrying around my hood.

The celebration was tagged at around 100k, its been long though.
I'm from Awo idemili in imo state...same thing here. My dad collected 2000 from my in-law and gave to my mum.
The list of things they bought summed up is 186,000
All the list plus umu Ada join.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:24am On Dec 27, 2019
motherfucker:
oh wow. This put a smile on my face. Please which state is Idemili in?

I am sure many people, non igbos, especially the yorubas will have some smiles on their face.

God bless all the people commenting.

We need more comments to put this to front page in order to counter the damage done flirtykaren's post. You have no idea until you have done a google search. But Nairaland is head above others and therefore it could serve as a reference point with better perspective, information and eductation.

I need someone from Abia state oooo. Please speak up if you are from Abia state.

Are you yoruba?
If you are, I'm writing to let you know that this topic isn't to tell you that you can marry from our side, but it is to let clear your heads about the igbo bride price thing
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:32am On Dec 27, 2019
johnnyn1:

Indirectly selling out their daughters..
Where are you from?
What's your bride price and dowry list
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:34am On Dec 27, 2019
dankol:
whoever tells me 250k is cheap is joking abi?

Calculate your own dowry list andet us know.

If I may ask how old are you?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:36am On Dec 27, 2019
johnnyn1:

This is a good one.
The family knows that if they eventually took the money. They are indirectly selling her out..
To them its custom and tradition, but to the husband, its meant they ve sold their daughter..

We don't need your commendation
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:36am On Dec 27, 2019
FBIL:
Truth be told! Igbo girls are pretty and very healthy, with no smelling pvssy. If you want to ''chop'' good soup with semo, pay for it! That said...
Poor families may have one or two shylocks who may want to high-up bride price but rich families will say, their priority is for you to take absolute care of their daughter. Above all, kinsmen may ask for about 50k with other minor things but the girl's father may just take 1k therefrom and give the rest back to you. It's sweet to marry Igbo because they stay in marriage.

Are you Igbo?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:39am On Dec 27, 2019
sojats:
List from Okposi, Ohazara LG, Ebonyi state

Oga the list might look length, but the price of them isn't as large and expensive as it seems.

250,000 would look like it's too much for you because you earn 10,000 a month
Mtcheeww.

If you want to start a family, be ready or better still stay single.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by dankol: 11:46pm On Dec 28, 2019
AdaEzinwanne:

Calculate your own dowry list andet us know.

If I may ask how old are you?

Exactly why the become 40 and still searching.. attitude..
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by cicodeblazzer(m): 12:53pm On Aug 10, 2020
Prudent5217:
Am from Abiriba in Ohafia LGA Abia State getting married soon to my fiancé from Arochukwu. This is the list I got
Please how much in total initially without adjustment?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by cicodeblazzer(m): 11:37pm On Aug 10, 2020
Pls my fellow NL family, why is it that these days we are following suit in doing things haywire. Ideally in ancient days, the brides family on their own decorates their compound and cooks food for their guests(which includes their own guests, grooms family n guests) out of joy for answered prayer for marriage by the gods. But these days, 98% of brides family enforce both decoration, feasting on the groom &family, who are already exploited with outrageous list.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by cicodeblazzer(m): 1:25am On Aug 11, 2020
Please any indigene of ezinifite in anambra here? Hw much is bride price and bride list?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by cicodeblazzer(m): 5:20pm On Aug 11, 2020
sanpipita:

They take care of drinks, food and canopies, let's not forget they will invite people to the igbankwu so they have their bit to do
says who? That was in the olden days wen things are done rightfully( i made a thread on this. Look it up). This days most brides family would leave all for groom and his family. They wont even add any money to the amount u bring(would bluntly tell u that u didnt bring much money na if things didnt go round enough). No wonder many guys maltreat their wives as scum and slaves due to anger for all the exploitations he passed through
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by cicodeblazzer(m): 10:56pm On Sep 16, 2020
Do we have indigenes of enugu in the house....how much is bride price & bride list in your LGA?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Xmen149(m): 2:27pm On Sep 19, 2020
cicodeblazzer:
Do we have indigenes of enugu in the house....how much is bride price & bride list in your LGA?

very traditional in marriage and one of the cheapest. The list usually have some sections like : knocking on door,first visit,second visit,marriage rites and dowry,then traditional marriage..

The First is immediate family of the lady only (local drink)

The First and second visit can be combined (usually local drinks and snuff are brought).

after that you collect list

popular things on list
things for (ladies from the kindred ,to be provided by your wife .lol)
things for kindred men (local drink,beer,snuff/cigar,soft drink ,she goat (u bring money and bring rope),
things for guys (drinks and cigar)
food items (ur in-law will cook to entertain your family)
things for kids.
then you do your dowry wich will be heavily debated by the elders depending the level of development of ur wife (but they will as the money contain low denomination when it's brought and lowest the denomination will be taken while the rest is returned.. really traditional...)

Note
some of the drinks you brought will be used to entertain u and ur kindred.

you can push for traditional marriage to be removed so that they can trade dowry when you complete the list ,you disappear with ur wife..If not they will reserve dowry after traditional marriage and na extra expense for you with the whole celebration.

trick
add drinks to the one they will give you and kindred and bring few friends. (add Lill money extra to the food stuff too then no need for trad marriage
The marriage list in that state is highly negotiable(some things can be waved mostly from the families side of the list)

Roughly 200-300k will do plus DJ and canopies

Another trick
If you won finish work do White wedding on that day and use this as your reception for village (few guest will come to village with you for reception,same amount will attend to it .) doing this worst case scenario 400k will do ur trad and white wedding with possibility of having some unused cash

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 12:07am On Dec 10, 2020
soberdrunk:

CHEAPEST"?? @ 250k-270k? No wonder my aunties for Ibadan dey shout 4 my ear "dont fall in love with igbo gal yooo"!!! Lmao

grin grin.

Of 250k is too much, how much do u intend to spend on marriage? U wan make dem dash u their daughter?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Alphastone: 3:19pm On Jan 08, 2021
Please, anyone with list from Nanka especially Ifite Nanka
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by wowmagonline: 6:39pm On Apr 24, 2022
My uncle don use style run from her girlfriend cos the bride price list was issued to him.
Igbo bride price cos true true
https://www.immigratefly.xyz/2022/04/bride-price-list-in-igbo-land.html?m=1
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Gsentme(m): 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2022
Any body from Uga? Please help.. I need a breakdown of Uga traditional marriage list and procedures.

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.