Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,485 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize (17457 Views)

Warning Signs That A Used Car Has Been In An Accident / Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize / A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by AutofactorNG: 9:14am On Aug 09, 2016
Most vehicles start out with a “new car smell,” but there are other specific odors that motorists should never ignore.

Identifying these suspect smells early on can help car owners be car care aware and avoid the hassle and expense of an unexpected breakdown, says the Car Care Council.

“Unusual smells can be the sign of serious, and potentially costly, trouble for your vehicle. By acting quickly and making necessary repairs, you’ll be able to breathe easy knowing there is no harmful damage to your car,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council.

The Car Care Council recommends a sniff test of your vehicle to identify any unusual smells, including the following six warning signs:

1. The smell of burnt rubber could be slipping drive belts or misplaced loose hoses that might be rubbing against rotating accessory drive pulleys. Do not reach in if the engine compartment is hot.

2. The smell of hot oil could mean that oil is leaking onto the exhaust system. To verify the leak, look for oil on the pavement or smoke coming from the engine area.

3. The smell of gasoline is likely the sign of a gas leak in some area of the vehicle such as a fuel injector line or the fuel tank. Any smell of fuel can result in a possible fire hazard, so immediate attention should be given.

4. The sweet smell of syrup may be a sign that your car is leaking engine coolant from a leaky component related to the car’s cooling system. Do not open the radiator cap when it is hot.

5. The smell of burning carpet could be a sign of brake trouble and a safety hazard. Have your brakes checked right away, especially if this smell is happening during normal driving conditions.

6. The smell of rotten eggs is never a good one and, if you smell it coming from your vehicle, it could mean a problem with your catalytic converter not converting the hydrogen sulfide in the exhaust to sulfur dioxide properly. This smell can also be attributed to a poor running engine, causing the catalytic converter to become overloaded and fail due to meltdown.

“When you smell any peculiar odor, you should not ignore it. Instead bring your vehicle to a professional service technician that you trust to get an informed opinion on the nature of the odor,” concluded White.

16 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by ministeriallist: 9:24am On Aug 09, 2016
Can I take it to Kazeem

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by dokyOloye: 12:02pm On Aug 09, 2016
U didn't include d commonest and most frequently occuring one,d smell of an overheating engine.
Smell like vaporised water,like d kind of smell U encounter when U forget boiling water on d stove.
Then there's also d smell of improper combustion/rich mixture.Smells as if petrol /diesel itself is leaking into d cabin of d car.
There's also d unmistakable smell of electrical fire wc smells like burning rubber.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by beautiful232(f): 6:33am On Aug 12, 2016
Hi

1 Like

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by sugarbeesmith(m): 6:33am On Aug 12, 2016
d
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by veekid(m): 6:33am On Aug 12, 2016
Bookmarked till I have my dream car
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by ikombe: 6:34am On Aug 12, 2016
beautiful232:
Hi
Hello undecided
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by UmmKhalifah(f): 6:34am On Aug 12, 2016
dokyOloye:
U didn't include d commonest and most frequently occuring one,d smell of an overheating engine.
Smell like vaporised water,like d kind of smell U encounter when U forget boiling water on d stove.
Then there's also d smell of improper combustion/rich mixture.Smells as if fuel/diesel itself is leaking into d cabin of d car.
kk fanks
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by beautiful232(f): 6:34am On Aug 12, 2016
But I have a power bike

Do you Have any tips for me? :
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by UmmKhalifah(f): 6:35am On Aug 12, 2016
Oh.very helpful

1 Like

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by enitanpopoola(m): 6:35am On Aug 12, 2016
Thumbs up. This is the type of topic we need on FP.
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by unite4real: 6:35am On Aug 12, 2016
Very informative
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by Gkemz: 6:36am On Aug 12, 2016
Interesting but how will you be able to differentiate the smell as some of them may bear similar odour.

1 Like

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by maggilove(f): 6:38am On Aug 12, 2016
This is informative especially for car owners, don't just ignore and think its normal.
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by omogidi234(m): 6:38am On Aug 12, 2016
Thumb's up.
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by brut(f): 6:38am On Aug 12, 2016
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by prestige24: 6:38am On Aug 12, 2016
@OP, good one..
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by mamajaz(f): 6:42am On Aug 12, 2016
Op, thanks for educating us
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by STARGREEN(m): 6:43am On Aug 12, 2016
Thanks
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by IDmina10: 6:45am On Aug 12, 2016
angry angry
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by Nobody: 6:51am On Aug 12, 2016
Don't argue with me,you should be a mechanic
dokyOloye:
Then there's also d smell of improper combustion/rich mixture.Smells as if petrol /diesel itself is leaking into d cabin of d car.
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by baranzy(m): 6:54am On Aug 12, 2016
I dont have a car yet but I have a gf who's mouth runs faster than a car engine and her demands drains my pocket like v8 engine consumes fuel.......
Plz advice me which smell I can detect from her tongue

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by femi4: 6:57am On Aug 12, 2016
beautiful232:
But I have a power bike

Yes, the colour of your exhaust e.g blue is dangerous

3 Likes

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by beautiful232(f): 6:58am On Aug 12, 2016
ikombe:
Hello undecided

grin
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by femi4: 6:58am On Aug 12, 2016
baranzy:
I dont have a car yet but I have a gf who's mouth runs faster than a car engine and her demands drains my pocket like v8 engine consumes fuel.......
The smell of her perfume

1 Like

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by PrinceEvolution(m): 7:01am On Aug 12, 2016
becuz kazeem cheap abior becuz for kazeem workshop u dey eye kafila wey her mama dey sell moi moi and ofada rice with assorted meatna big yansh go kill u ,after kazeem go scatter ur motor commot ur thermostat..we are waiting for u here to laugh at u..lol
ministeriallist:
Can I take it to Kazeem

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by dokyOloye: 7:03am On Aug 12, 2016
movingforward:
Don't argue with me,you should be a mechanic
Lol,some of us started driving as a precocious 13yr old wt an old jalopy wc was overheating from time 2 time and hadn't a functioning temperature guage,so U gotta b agile/super observant.
The motor sef,na roll and start(battery is always dead or dying) ,so if d engine stall on U,U r on ya own.

1 Like

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by Reference(m): 7:14am On Aug 12, 2016
ministeriallist:
Can I take it to Kazeem

Kazeem the real Kazeem or Kazeem like the Cynthia Whyte of MEND or the Abubakar Shekau of the Haramites.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by K9Uneet(m): 7:26am On Aug 12, 2016
baranzy:
Mouth odour. Lolz.
Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by K9Uneet(m): 7:28am On Aug 12, 2016
beautiful232:
But I have a power bike
Depends on your definition of "tips". I might have something for you. #winks.

1 Like

Re: Six Vehicle Warning Signs Your Nose Can Recognize by hexy40: 8:01am On Aug 12, 2016
What if u are enjoying the sweet smell of syrup?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Slashes Number Plate Price To N8,400, Drivers’ Licence To N4,000 / 6 Epic And Hilarious Car DIY Fails (photos) / Tesla's New Station,The World's Largest Can SuperCharge 50 Cars At The Same Time

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.