Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,224 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:57 AM

4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners (20269 Views)

11 Mistakes Most Nigerian Car Owners Make / Top Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners And The Way Out / Top Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners And The Way Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Kingson78(m): 9:52am On Aug 10, 2016
titosantana:

And you had to post your pix? Ode!
I wonder oo
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 10, 2016
Mechanics are just big crooks.

You hardly find good one in Nigeria.

May be because most of them arre illiterates. They do more damage than good to your car and still over charge you.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nusaf: 10:18am On Aug 10, 2016
ifeanyi83:
The most annoying part is when they say "Tonkunbo" part is better than a "New" one....
Guy, there are some car parts that their tokunbo are better than the new ones. Most of these new parts are either China or Aba made which cannot stand the rigours involved on our roads but the tokunbo are the 'follow come' which came with the cars from the original manufacturers. A whole car is disassembled and the parts are sold in pieces. If u can get new parts from the original manufacturers, certainly it is the best but that is not practicable in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Welcomme: 10:31am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
first to comment for the first time in 6 months. I am so happy
As old as u are, u are happy about first to comment.Does ' first to comment' add money to ur bank or bet9ja account?

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Kashif(m): 10:50am On Aug 10, 2016
goldman777:

Na now u dey confess u need my code reader send me an email il get back to you
Or watsappme or call 08146923846

LOL! I was only pulling your legs. I use professional scanner. When you see a professional diagnostic tool, you will understand.

Happy sales bro!
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by dejavubobo1(m): 11:14am On Aug 10, 2016
veacea:
I hired a plumber to fix something in th house f me and he lied to me, as someone who is also a DIY person I confronted him and asked why he lied. His reply was oga " we learn the art of lying even before mastering the actual skill.
grin
sharp guy

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by titosantana(m): 11:24am On Aug 10, 2016
Araoluwa005:
thanks for calling me ode
You are welcome. I hope you've learntcheesy

1 Like

Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by dovee69: 12:46pm On Aug 10, 2016
tell your electrician to connect you fan directly if your radiator guage is high
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2016
Simple! Go to professional Auto workshops, they av scanners, a device that would be used to troubleshoot and discover d exact fault wrong with ur vehicle. Hence, u r rest assured of Quality service on point and u get a value for ur money.
trinity227:
well the info is nice.... but what can we do to avoid these criminals mechanics to syphon us....?? should we go n learn mechanic ? because I don't think we can do without these mechanics.... what do you advice we do then when our car is faulty
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 10, 2016
They 'test drive' your car for 200 km.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 10, 2016
In this economy na bicycle sure pass. Apart from saving me trips to the mechanic it also doesn't face traffic problems and keeps me healthy. #PedalPower for the win.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by dynamic007(m): 3:22pm On Aug 10, 2016
Teewhy2:
This is so true and I just experienced it of recent as well, my car is having an increase in temperature on the temperature gauge than usual, it goes above average and stop unlike before where it stops at the middle on temperature gauge . The mechanic convinced me that it is the radiator that is the problem that I should change it from a single cell radiator to a double cell radiator and he was so confident that I bought it and after changing it The problem persist, he said the thermostat is not good that we should run it without it first and see if it is the problem which we have done and still the problem continue, I had to shout on him yesterday when he said the problem should be temperature switch, I told him I don't have money to waste on things he is not sure about, it is better I take the car for scanning not all this trial and error thing he is doing and he was even trying to defend what he is doing that its the right thing to do.
Can you imagine after spending about 25k on the problem in this economic recession period I am yet to solve the problem. I know that is what many other customers suffer in the hands of our Nigeria mechanic

You should've scanned in the first place. I learnt this d hardway. Sorry 4 ur discomfort.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by Stylo1: 8:40am On Aug 12, 2016
One area I have tried to reduce the effects of auto technician's (mechanics, rewires etc) tricks is to cross check the prices of
the 'faulty' parts they give me with that of other suppliers of such parts registered in www.autopartz.com.
I have discovered that the mechanic's usually collude a lot with the auto parts suppliers in order to quote and sell auto parts
at higher prices unsuspecting car owners.
Hence, I first verify the prices in autopartz.com by calling authorized suppliers before I now contest the over bloated prices from
the mechanics and rewires.
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by scarr: 6:30am On Aug 22, 2016
ogoplus:

How I have avoided Kabiru..... for sometime now...

1. I have become more conversant with my car.....
2. Got an obd2 scanner download codes and research codes
3. Google, YouTube and Nairaland
4. Use your owner's manual as reference
5. If 1 to 4 is too much for you then check Nairaland for car repair shop with good reviews.

Thanks bro, what kinda obd2 scanner did you get and what kinda car so u drive?
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by kingsley1971: 11:08am On Feb 21, 2017
I advice owners should know how to use an obd11 device and own one too, not so costly, 10k will give you a standard one. with your phon you are good to go in detecting faults before going to the mechanics. onlike me, I own a coverall in my car boot...enough of the nonsense from these deceitful felas
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by captainking(m): 5:42pm On Feb 21, 2017
Humm.. Make I spoil market for some people... All these obd 11 Bluetooth car scanner should cost nothing less than 6k.. In the market.. I will prove it if u doubt me... Can get it at that price.. Heheheh
Re: 4 Tricks Mechanics Use In Extorting Money From Car Owners by gwng: 9:30am On Mar 10, 2017
Get a OBD scanner from us for just 4K. 09053629992.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Advice On Long Distance Journey / Rolls Royce : 15 Eye Opening Facts You Should Know / The Fuel Consumption Thread - How Thirsty Is Your Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.