Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,175 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 (10985 Views)

FRSC To Embark On “operation Show Your Driving Licence’’ In Lagos / FRSC To Hike Fees For Driver’s Licence, Number Plate / FRSC To Start Seizing Vehicles With Expired Tyres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by ImanuelJannah(m): 10:57pm On Aug 10, 2016
FRSC to Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1

Abuja - The Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) has said that the presidency had approved Oct. 1 for the commencement of implementation and enforcement of the Speed Limiting Device.

Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, the Corps Marshall, FRSC, disclosed this in Abuja while briefing stakeholders on the new date for the implementation and enforcement of the device.

Oyeyemi said that the implementation and enforcement of the device witnessed four postponements from its initial launching date of June 1, 2015, before its final approval by the presidency.

“The final directive from the presidency is clear; the enforcement date for the implementation of the speed limiting device is on Oct. 1 and we have had series of stakeholders meeting.

“The essence of today’s meeting is to finally convey the directive of the federal government to the stakeholders that with effect from Oct. 1, the implementation and enforcement would commence.

“We already have the portal that we will use to monitor this, we don’t need to pursue any vehicle, we will just stop you like we verify licence.

“On the tablet we will check whether your vehicle has been installed with the device, if it has not, we will impound the vehicle and we make sure that you do the right thing.

“We are not talking about fines now ,it’s to save lives so we will impound the vehicle then the owner of the vehicle will be made to install the device before the journey continues ,’’ he said.

Oyeyemi said that the corps would do this for the next three to six months to achieve enforcement and compliance so as to compel commercial vehicles to install the device.

He said the FRSC was only concerned about commercial vehicles installing it for now, adding that with time the enforcement would extend to private vehicles so as to cut down crashes on the road.

He said the FRSC was relentless on the enforcement of the speed limiting device because speed had been identified as a key risk factor in road traffic injuries.

Oyeyemi said that an increase in average speed of
1km/h typically results in a 3 per cent higher risk of
a crash involving injury, with a 4 per cent – 5 percent increase resulting in fatalities.

“ For car occupants in a crash with an impact speed
of 80km/h, the likelihood of death is 20 times what
it would have been at an impact speed of 30km/h.

“Speed is the major cause of crashes in Nigeria
with commercial vehicles accounting for 65 per cent
of the crashes,’’ the corps marshal said.

He said speed related road deaths were avoidable if
Nigerians resolved to prevent them, adding that
controlling human habits on speeding had not been
as effective as desired.

Oyeyemi said it was pertinent for the nation to embrace this speed limiting strategy to curb “this monster on our roads’’.

He said the speed limiter device was available in
the market and that the FRSC had a list of the
companies trading in the device on its website and
urged vehicle owners to visit the site so as to
purchase genuine ones.

Oyeyemi urged the Standard Organisation of Nigeria
to ensure that importers complied with the standard
for the device.

He also tasked the SON to ensure that only vehicles
with the device were allowed to be imported into the
country.

Speaking at the occasion, the Secretary to the
Government of the Federation (SGF), Mr Babachir
Lawal,commended the FRSC for the initiative and
thanked the National Assembly and the President
for endorsing it .

Lawal said the project would help in saving the lives
of Nigerians by cutting down speed which was a
major killer on the nation’s highways.

The stakeholders present at the forum included
representatives from the National Assembly, the
SGF’s office and the Department of State Security
(DSS).

Members of transport associations in Nigeria were
also present and they pledged their support to the
implementation of the device.

http://nigerianinterest..com/2016/08/frsc-to-begin-use-of-speed-limit.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by waleadex(m): 11:43pm On Aug 10, 2016
Speed limit in our country of today? I hope it works but menh ko le werk...

3 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Nobody: 11:51pm On Aug 10, 2016
this is a good policy if it would not be
undermined by corruption it's also reap off
to the general public

in a saner clime its the responsibility of the govt to
install speed limit cameras on the high ways
as it generates enormous funds to the govt by issuing
fines but now they want to put the burden to
her citizens

it seems this people turns blind eyes when they
visit other countries to see how things works
on a serious note this is a rape on it's citizens
and is not acceptable, even the roads are death
traps

Nigeria would've be an envy of other Africa
countries if not the fraudsters that parade
themselves as politicians

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by bamirotola: 1:45am On Aug 11, 2016
Nice step... I pray it works if officials won't settle for bribe after catching up with speed violators... I think the federal govt needs to tackle bribery among our armed men...
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by didfy: 8:35am On Aug 11, 2016
Who would want to speed on a bad road?

Naija i hail oooooo!

20 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Ayoswit(f): 8:35am On Aug 11, 2016
good development

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by niceguy7(m): 8:35am On Aug 11, 2016
Better, atleast will be part of the effort to reduce road crashes.
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by MadCow1: 8:36am On Aug 11, 2016
First and foremost, the FRSC should put up road signs on all roads before trying to enforce obeying road signs.. grin grin grin grin grin

Most Nigerian Roads have no road signs, improper road signs or invincible signs (hidden signs).

Nigeria is always fond of putting the cart before the horse.

All they have done is given the Marshals another grounds to harass and extort Nigerians.

32 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 11, 2016
Avenue for bribery

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Nobody: 8:36am On Aug 11, 2016
Useless government...

4 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Nobody: 8:37am On Aug 11, 2016
I donot support this.

Most accidents in Nigeria are due to bad roads or bad vehicles.

Sholving some device down our throat is just dumb and avenue to create more money for some foreign companies that will be making the device.

The government didn't think that one through.. Dumb ediots

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by KingGeorgey(m): 8:38am On Aug 11, 2016
They'll detect and Start a speed chase I know them joor.. Or they'll keep the Nigeria police up ahead and make calls shouting one guy with red Acura zdx dey come.. Block am we dey road dey come .. ... grin... Well they'll have to compete with some bad as niggas out there driving V8 turbo engines need for speed mode.. And the yeye 9ja police put the tinted permit issue on board like say e go work.. Till now I never get approval even after doing the needful.. Now na this one. *in the voice of falz* it WI nor work.. Nonsense

7 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by KingGeorgey(m): 8:38am On Aug 11, 2016
100 x 100 for sale right here grin
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Kaybee14(m): 8:39am On Aug 11, 2016
Well, it would atleast reduce the high rate of accident being experienced on our roads daily.
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by oleejay(f): 8:41am On Aug 11, 2016
FRSC ROCKS[color=#990000][/color]
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Lanretoye(m): 8:42am On Aug 11, 2016
nigeria already has automatic speed limit device and it is installed on virtually every road,TRAFFIC...so that new device ko le werk.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Profayo: 8:42am On Aug 11, 2016
m
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by tinu16(f): 8:42am On Aug 11, 2016
This is a good development but let us do the needful first, all bad roads should be repaired and road signs placed at the right places!!!
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by ademidedavid(f): 8:43am On Aug 11, 2016
grayht:
Useless government...
GERRARA HERE MAN

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by oleejay(f): 8:43am On Aug 11, 2016
Doc Boboye ride on. we shall enforce its use wit the last drop of our blood to reduce the menace
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by ITbomb(m): 8:43am On Aug 11, 2016
about time

Click here to See Photos of the Speed Limiting Devices

FRSC warns, the more you want to tamper with the device, the money it will develop traction thereby consuming more fuel.
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by mexcanigeo: 8:45am On Aug 11, 2016
The idea is good but I'm sure the enforcement will turn out to be selective, knowing fully well that government officials on convoys can never reduce their speed limits to 120km/h. Transporters have already complied. Let me see how govt can fight govt. I'm watching!!!

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Nobody: 8:46am On Aug 11, 2016
ademidedavid:
GERRARA HERE MAN

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by wildchild1: 8:46am On Aug 11, 2016
Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by bitweezy: 8:48am On Aug 11, 2016
How is this supposed to work? When there are no speed limit signs on the road, I do not even know what the required speed limits are for Nigerian Highways or city roads

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by kayo80(m): 8:49am On Aug 11, 2016
Hmm! I don't know about this tho.

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 11, 2016
Nice step. Though there are other policies that should be in place, alongside orientation for road users.
I've always maintained speed is the main cause of accidents,not bad roads. That doesn't mean roads shouldn't be fixed.

Things are a bit tight in the country now, parting with cash in this changing economy isn't gonna be funny.
I don't envy the drivers.

That said, every PMT (Peace Mass Transit) bus,should have nothing less than two of such device_na them need am pass.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by AZeD1(m): 8:52am On Aug 11, 2016
Denchturbo:
This is the kind of useless policies that make you wonder if the people in charge are brain dead.
Rather than trample civil right to install something unnecessary, why not install speed cameras, actually fix these bad roads. If only I was a lawyer ID fight this nonsense. Which country forces it's citizenry to use a speed limiter??

One bottle for you.

2 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by Pavore9: 8:52am On Aug 11, 2016
It will be manipulated!

1 Like

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by PaulIdu: 8:54am On Aug 11, 2016
mexcanigeo:
The idea is good but I'm sure the enforcement will turn out to be selective, knowing fully well that government officials on convoys can never reduce their speed limits to 120km/h. Transporters have already complied. Let me see how govt can fight govt. I'm watching!!!

You don't seem to get it ..what they are saying is that will sell a speed limiting device to all vehicles in Nigeria .this device will limit the vehicle from exceeding some particular speed .my brother there is nothing good there all they need to do is set up speed traps like most countries do instead of this useless and brazen attempt to extort Nigerian by forcing them to buy some substandard device these hard times .. most countries don't use it because it has safety and security implications for example a car owner might not be able to outrun a potential assasin or out maneuver a dangerous situation that requires speed to escape ..they should put signs in place and set up speed Traps with speed guns and speed cameras period

13 Likes

Re: FRSC To Begin Use of Speed Limit Detection Device October 1 by PaulIdu: 8:57am On Aug 11, 2016
Denchturbo:
This is the kind of useless policies that make you wonder if the people in charge are brain dead.
Rather than trample civil right to install something unnecessary, why not install speed cameras, actually fix these bad roads. If only I was a lawyer ID fight this nonsense. Which country forces it's citizenry to use a speed limiter??

And brain dead Nigerians be like it's is a good idea but ..but what ? Nothing sensible in forcing people to install speed limiters on their cars ..of course we know the want to extort Nigerians as usual

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

[expert Car Comparison] Camry Vs Corolla, Which Used Car Should You Buy? / 2008 Toyota Corolla Car AC Problem / Any Good Car Within 500k And 600k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.