Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,747 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:15 PM

PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course (65615 Views)

Three (3) Most Difficult Things To Do In The World - Must Read / Top 3 Most Difficult Exams In The World. / University Of Ibadan Will Not Admit Pharmacy students This Year.!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by geunik(m): 11:57am On May 17, 2019
I have an ebook Available for sell. Visit my signature on how to get it. It is about success guide for students in Nigeria
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Bvmsson(m): 1:57pm On May 18, 2019
Uyi168:
Whats this one saying?

He is saying the truth.

Vet medicine
Dentistry
General medicine
Pharmacy
And others
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by adminlo: 11:49am On Jul 21, 2019
Need a locum pharmacist for Ajao estate area... Pm me
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by myfan: 6:46am On Sep 19, 2019
adminlo:

Hello, you tried to contact me but I don't know what is wrong with my phone that is not receiving mails. Please contact me on

Zero Eight one, seven seven zero three 9 six 9 zero.

Thanks.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by myfan: 7:38am On Sep 20, 2019
adminlo:

Please I don’t know what is wrong with my mail. I can't receive mails.

Please contact me on
Zero Eight one, seven seven zero three 9 six 9 zero.

Thanks.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by FINA4804(f): 7:48am On Sep 21, 2019
Good morning all, pls I need your candid advice. I have NCE in chemistry education. I want to go back to school , i am contemplating on starting a fresh, i considered going for Pharmacy. I am married with three kids, pls from Experience do you think I can, i got my NCE 2012.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Laserman: 1:22pm On Sep 21, 2019
As a Pharmacist, I would advise you to go for something less demanding since you're married with kids, because studying Pharmacy, especially Pharm. D. Is really demanding and needs absolute focus and no distractions.

FINA4804:
Good morning all, pls I need your candid advice. I have NCE in chemistry education. I want to go back to school , i am contemplating on starting a fresh, i considered going for Pharmacy. I am married with three kids, pls from Experience do you think I can, i got my NCE 2012.

1 Like

Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by idolize(m): 11:01pm On Sep 26, 2019
Good day all.

Please, can anybody suggest a federal university preferably from South west that can offered me admission to study Pharmacy from 200L. I hold a HND in SLT (Biochemistry) option at upper credit?.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by idolize(m): 11:18pm On Sep 26, 2019
Preciousify:
Honestly, after going through the comments, I became scared.
I already have HND in sci lab tech, But i feel empty! I want save money and go back to study a more fulfilling course.
I have pharmacy in mind. And i also have ABU Zaria as the institution i intend studying in. Now, my problem is, as a DE applicant, I learnt they will send me to 100level cry cry cry
What I read here really got me scared if really the course is difficult.
Or should I just go for med lab sci?

Hi.

I have same issue with you. I hope u got the DE admission to ABU now to study Pharmacy?
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by phillippians(m): 9:11pm On Oct 06, 2019
[quote author=Irenemmeso post=48456486] that's not true
Doctors
Pharmacists
Mls
Nurses[/quote
Who are those peeps separating Doctors from nurses? The series is very clear :
Doctors
Nurses
Pharmacist
Medical. Lab sc

Quote me anywhere
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by phillippians(m): 9:24pm On Oct 06, 2019
Uniben4sure:
from whom do d dealer s buy medicines. Don't be silly. Seek knowledge dude.
I have a first degree B.Sc Microbiology, currently working in a hospital, fresh graduate, am underemployed if u know what I mean (When hospital employ you cos they can't pay a Med. Lab scientist) some of my colleagues have gone back to school to study pharmacy but instead of me to go back to school to study pharmacy with another 4 years plus, I rather apply for DE medicine and surgery. Let me know what am suffering for. Please does anyone know how I get into Medicine, Unilag precisely? Am from Edo state, heard Unilag discriminates alot against non-indigene. My number is 08100254826, whatapp message is allowed!
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Donwyz(m): 8:04am On Oct 10, 2019
pls how many schools offer pharmD currently?.. I read in one of the news papers that UNN is ready to start it in this new 2019/20 session, how true is that?
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by kosheybhad(f): 12:23am On Nov 08, 2019
AlphaT1:

When I filled pharmacy (1st and 2nd choices) in my JAMB form some yrs ago, my dad (of blessed memory) insisted that I must change it to medicine (MBBS), I refused and stood my ground. It wasn’t an easy war. Even though I was an all round excellent student, I had soft spot for chemistry and so I preferred pharmacy to medicine. And I have never regretted that decision.

I graduated with a distinction eventually. My salary as an intern was 139k and I was able to save 800K (for the 12 months). In my NYSC I was posted to a missionary hospital to head a pharmacy dept (of 5 Pharm. Techs and 12 dispensers). I brought a turn around in d dept and was making monthly purchase of over 3million Naira. Jst after two months the MD increased my salary from 50K to 80K with a weekly recharge card allowance of 2K. My house was furnished and equipped with dstv and Internet facility. Four months into service, the MD added to my care the PMCT unit that was being funded by GHAIN and my salary increased to 120K. 6months into service GHAIN absorbed me as their staff and offered me 250K (allowance inclusive). I was able to save upto to 3.5million Naira from service yr. I passed out from NYSC and continued with GHAIN for one yr (earning upto 5mil per annum). When I showed dad my savings, he couldn't believe it. Over 8mil jst one yr after graduation? Wow! You made the right choice son. God bless your choice. I was wrong.

I left GHAIN to go for MSc but lost dad midway and had to go look for work, I got two offers from federal hospitals but rejected both. Got assistant lecturer position with Unilag but turned it down still. Got a multinational with a very good pay and benefits, went for their training but never resumed.
Finally picked up the one I am doing now.

Before my dad passed on, he was convinced that indeed it's good to allow children follow their interest (if such are good). Just guide them as a parent.

Almost all my close friends (from that group of excellent students) in secondary school went for MBBS. We are still friends to date but none of them is yet to achieve 1/2 of what I have been able to achieve within this short period....

Just go for what you love, study hard and make a good grade, prepare and Pray for a good job, be prudent, save well and plan for the future.

God bless.
Wow, this is amazing...
Pease I've sent you a mail, I'm a pharmacy student....I want to ask you some questions and know more about the profession....Thank you!

This is my email
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by kosheybhad(f): 8:33pm On Nov 08, 2019
bizme:

This is not true. Pharmacists' roles are well defined. The only reason why we have patent medicine vendors in Nigeria is because Pharmacists are both acutely and chronically short in supply. Imagine in the history of Nigeria till now we have not produced up to 30,000 pharmacists. We should have roughly 20,000 Nigerian pharmacists at the moment, and significant percentage is in greener pastures abroad such as US, Canada, Australia, UK, etc. Even if we assume that we have no more than 5,000 Nigerian pharmacists abroad, that leaves us with about 15,000 pharmacists on ground to about 180,000,000 Nigerians. That gives a scary ratio of 1 pharmacist to 12,000 Nigerians.

Since access to drugs is a basic need, the patent medicine system was developed to allow for access to medicine in all rural communities that are not economically viable for pharmacists to establish.

Pharmacists roles are well defined, and their roles are not relative to the medical doctors. They have much broader functions than medical doctors and as such their roles are not confined to the hospital setting. In fact, they are right now least utilized in the Nigerian hospital system. Pharmacists are at the front of converting research (herbal, biotechnology, chemical) into pharmaceutical products, like you have at DRPUs, NIPRD etc. They develop dosage forms, working in industries such as Neimeth, Drugfield, etc. They work in regulatory agencies such as NAFDAC and in Customs. They work in community pharmacies, for cities that are big and lucky enough to have them, where they represent the first line of health professionals a large percentage of the city population sees for common ailments. This is because they are relatively easy to access and they have a vast knowledge of drugs to leverage on (actually, they are the expert on drugs and drug related matters). And it is because of this singular expertise that they are brought into hospitals to vet doctors' prescriptions and counsel patients on drug matters.

Pharmacists are one of the very few professionals that are rarely jobless. It is not uncommon for a Nigerian pharmacist to have multiple jobs and sources of income, except those very docile and sedentary ones. It is in higher demand than nursing, medicine etc. However, it is one of the toughest courses to study and you need more than cramming: you need to be well-rounded in mathematical, chemical, biological, and legal aspects.
God bless you for this...Please I've sent you a mail, I'm a pharmacy student and I'll like to know more about the profession....This is my email ....Thank you!!
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by kosheybhad(f): 8:36pm On Nov 08, 2019
AlphaT1:

Hahhahaha, that's why I said you are not informed, just don't comment on what you have limited knowledge in. Acetaminophen is another scientific name for paracetamol (mostly used in the U.S).
Aspirin and Ibuprofen are NSAIDs and not paracetamol substitutes. They are analgesics (pain killers) with very little anti-pyretic effect. No doctor in his right senses would ordinarily start giving you NSAIDs for pyrexia. Aspirin and Ibuprofen are not good in ulcer patients, asthmatics, infants etc. Paracetamol is not contra-indicated in the above conditions. I am using simple plain language so you would understand.
It is because you are in Nigeria where everything goes, if not only trained professionals handle drug matters overseas.
Ohhh God....Can i like this more than once.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Nobody: 9:25pm On Nov 08, 2019
kosheybhad:

God bless you for this...Please I've sent you a mail, I'm a pharmacy student and I'll like to know more about the profession....This is my email olorunkosebitaofeekat@gmail.com.....Thank you!!
It's okay. I already replied you.
Cheers.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Ayomisure(m): 4:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
IgweDivine:
lol. I laugh you. it's obvious you don't know who an intern worker is. medical graduate receive that sum I mentioned as a doctor still in training. the program lasts for just a year it's not their permanent work. when he's done and gotten his license. you can come and check his salary again and compare it to that of a pharmacist at the same level. and that for a doctor that wants to work as an employee. just just like you said a pharmacist can go and open a pharmaceutical company how about a doctor that wants to have his own hospital, do you know how much he earns? do you know how much a surgery is worth? just caesarian that is been done on a daily basis, do you know how much a section is worth? you mentioned IVF, fine and good, I know a doctor that does that, he charges 2million per patient and still when you get to his hospital, you hardly see space, I look up to him cos I've got interest in that line and he's also a consultant in a govt hospital wherre he commands salary. that man makes nothing less than 40million a month. though not every doctor achieved that feet but I will achieve that by God's grace. a lot of you guys mentioned some sum here but I have a lot of pharmacists as friends both young and old and they aren't that buoyant though I'm not doubting you guys. before I leave, if pharmacy is that lucrative the world would know but it seems like it's only few that know. a good product sells itself. a successful pharmacist can't compare with a successful medical doctor. Finally, in any profession you find yourself, maximize your potential in it and the sky will be your starting point. gracias
search for the richest pharmacist and the richest doctors then come back to share ur testimony grin
IgweDivine:
lol. I laugh you. it's obvious you don't know who an intern worker is. medical graduate receive that sum I mentioned as a doctor still in training. the program lasts for just a year it's not their permanent work. when he's done and gotten his license. you can come and check his salary again and compare it to that of a pharmacist at the same level. and that for a doctor that wants to work as an employee. just just like you said a pharmacist can go and open a pharmaceutical company how about a doctor that wants to have his own hospital, do you know how much he earns? do you know how much a surgery is worth? just caesarian that is been done on a daily basis, do you know how much a section is worth? you mentioned IVF, fine and good, I know a doctor that does that, he charges 2million per patient and still when you get to his hospital, you hardly see space, I look up to him cos I've got interest in that line and he's also a consultant in a govt hospital wherre he commands salary. that man makes nothing less than 40million a month. though not every doctor achieved that feet but I will achieve that by God's grace. a lot of you guys mentioned some sum here but I have a lot of pharmacists as friends both young and old and they aren't that buoyant though I'm not doubting you guys. before I leave, if pharmacy is that lucrative the world would know but it seems like it's only few that know. a good product sells itself. a successful pharmacist can't compare with a successful medical doctor. Finally, in any profession you find yourself, maximize your potential in it and the sky will be your starting point. gracias
search for the richest pharmacist and the richest doctors then come back to share ur testimony
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by iaamxavier(m): 6:46pm On Apr 18, 2020
Guysss let's keep this thread rolling, more contribution plssss?
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by spiritualmubi: 5:47pm On May 03, 2020
Please can a graduate of botany go into pharmacy through d.e?
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by iaamxavier(m): 10:14pm On May 03, 2020
spiritualmubi:
Please can a graduate of botany go into pharmacy through d.e?

Of course
Pick up jamb brochure and go through the list of requirements
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by spiritualmubi: 8:28pm On Apr 02, 2021
iaamxavier:

Of course
Pick up jamb brochure and go through the list of requirements
Thanks Man.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Emmaneze: 10:23am On Apr 08, 2021
eleojo23:
@bizme.
Yeah, daily sales of 20,000 is way too small but I was just giving the least possible example and these are very small pharmacies.
Also these guys are located in areas where there are some major competitors i.e some bigger pharmacies and even among these competitors they make nothing less than that amount.

Like you said, some pharmacists are just too docile hence they don't take full advantage of their licence. It shows that not everyone is business minded after all.
Please can you enlighten me on pharmacy, because am an aspirant
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Nobody: 11:12am On Apr 08, 2021
Pharmacy isn't a political post, and you cannot be an aspirant. :-)
Just kidding.
What do you wanna know?

Emmaneze:

Please can you enlighten me on pharmacy, because am an aspirant
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by spiritualmubi: 1:13pm On Apr 08, 2021
bizme:
Just kidding.
What do you wanna know?

Good day sir, I have checked the jamb brochure, didn't see any where saying one can use a degree in botany to apply for pharmacy through direct entry. Just wanted to reconfirm if I can use a 2.1 degree in botany to go for pharmacy through direct entry. Do you know about that?
Thanks Sir.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Emmaneze: 2:12am On May 30, 2021
bizme:
Just kidding.
What do you wanna know?

I just want to know what the profession entails from the industrial, hospital ,community,administrative etc
What are the chances of pharmacist getting recruited, promoted and the likes
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Tobi2006: 9:36pm On Apr 08, 2023
Preciousify:
Honestly, after going through the comments, I became scared.
I already have HND in sci lab tech, But i feel empty! I want save money and go back to study a more fulfilling course.
I have pharmacy in mind. And i also have ABU Zaria as the institution i intend studying in. Now, my problem is, as a DE applicant, I learnt they will send me to 100level cry cry cry
What I read here really got me scared if really the course is difficult.
Or should I just go for med lab sci?
if u really want to study pharmacy , u can go ahead and be sure to study very hard as no course is difficult , it all depends on your seriousness and determination to study dat course
i was once an aspirant of pharmacy b4 i decided to go into engineering ( computer engineering , to be precise ) , i am currently schooling in MOUAU , but be it as it may , i am still aspiring to study either pharmacy,dentistry or medsurge , as i will still be very young by the time i graduate . grin[quote

1 Like

Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Tobi2006: 9:45pm On Apr 08, 2023
spiritualmubi:
Good day all, am presently studying botany, but I feel I should switch to pharmacy i.e take another jamb tho am in lvl 100 going to 200 cos am afraid not to study a course that is not really selling, pls advice me, should I go for pharmacy? blunt answer is welcomed. Thanks
Truth be told , courses like d one u mentioned above dont really go well in dis present nigerian economy , so i think u shud try applying 4 anoda courses , it dosent matter d time spent on studying d course , but the job availability and lucrativeness of the course after u graduate , so i suggest u either go 4 pharmacy or u luk 4 any other lucratiue course dat u are interested in and u feel u can cope with .
Goodluck bro
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Tobi2006: 10:11pm On Apr 08, 2023
[quote author=phillippians post=82904132][/quote]
In my own point of view i think dis is the right way to list them according to their lucrativeness in dis present nigerian harsh economy
- civil engineering( we all know dat presently , dis is the most lucrative in nigeria )
-medsurge ( neuro surgery / cardiothoracic / cardiac surgery )
-pharmacy
-computer engineering (especially the area of specialization known as software engineering )
-information and communication tech engineering
-dentistry ( oral and maxillofacial surgery )
-law
-nursing
-computer science
-optometry
-elect/elect engineering
-mechanical/mechatronics engineering
-chemical /petroleum engineering
-medlab
-radiography
And the rest
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by spiritualmubi: 12:19pm On Apr 09, 2023
Tobi2006:

Truth be told , courses like d one u mentioned above dont really go well in dis present nigerian economy , so i think u shud try applying 4 anoda courses , it dosent matter d time spent on studying d course , but the job availability and lucrativeness of the course after u graduate , so i suggest u either go 4 pharmacy or u luk 4 any other lucratiue course dat u are interested in and u feel u can cope with .
Goodluck bro
Thanks bro. Am already in 300lvl 1st semester Do you still suggest I should take jamb and go for any of the lucrative courses?
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by spiritualmubi: 12:19pm On Apr 09, 2023
Tobi2006:

Goodluck bro
I will be 27 this April.
Re: PHARMACY: The Most Difficult And Lucrative Medical Course by Dvd4: 4:53pm On Apr 09, 2023
Hello guys!

I just got into Pharmacy, Unizik.

Though I am hearing that it's gonna be Pharm D.

I don't know what to expect from this course as it was Medicine I wanted.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How I Studied Pharmacy Twice By Lauretta Oyemwenosa Obakpolo / Students' Car Park vs Lecturers' Car Park In a Tertiary Institution In Nigeria / University Professor Backs The Baby Of A Nursing Mother Writing Exam

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.