Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,271 members, 7,839,357 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:34 PM

The West Should Not Dictate To Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The West Should Not Dictate To Africa (703 Views)

N4.7bn Cars: Buhari Can’t Dictate To Us –n’assembly / Why The South West Should Not Vote For Jonathan / Jonathan Can't Dictate To Us! 6yrs Tenure Must Start In 2015 ––senate Dares Pres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by lipuka(m): 1:05pm On Sep 25, 2009
I wish somebody could convince me I am wrong, but I am afraid it will be a tall order. Those who love everything West will have a field day insulting me, but I will not budge. The West holds us in contempt, period. To begin with, they spend a lot of their time, dictating to us on how we should manage our affairs. They tell us how we should write our new Costitutions, the kind of reforms we should put up, and how we should hold our elections. They even send observers to make sure we do as they say.

It is not a secret, that some of these Western countries do not even have written Constitutions. And as for corruption, haven't we learned all this from Britain, which has many cases of it's own? Do you ever hear of any other Western country criticising another Western country on corruption? Or that they should have reforms or write new Contitutions?

Now on the issue of contempt. These Western countries are very much familiar with diplomatic ettiquette. And that whenever there is some misunderstanding, or some issue, this is handled in a certain manner. But the West does not do this. They will have their ambassador call a Press Conference, yes, a Press Conference, and dictate to an African Government on what is to be done or else. Now let us imagine that an African Ambassador does the same in Washington, Berlin, Paris or London.

Sadly, we have fellow Africans who actually go and co-operate with the West. The Western Press may criticise their Governments, but will not do the same by accepting a foreign power. Indeed, they will take exception if some foreign body insults them. You will not hear of a politician from the West coming to Africa to criticise their Government.

What we can say from all this is that Colonialism is far from over.
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by Afam(m): 2:14pm On Sep 25, 2009
You are 100% correct in your observations including the fact that some of us who may have sold our souls to anything white or foreign would deny such obvious issues.

Until African leaders learn to do what is best for their citizens and countries there can never be meaningful development and progress.

Thank god for the likes of Mugabe who has maintained that Zimbabwe will not receive instructions and dictations from both the White House and No 10 Downing Street.
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by proudly9ja(m): 3:00pm On Sep 25, 2009
In as much as I may agree with the 'idea' behind your arguements Ild like you to know that noone can make you feel inferior without your permission.
The West as you call it CANNOT dictate to Africa. They can only advice. Africa on the other hand can either accept or not. However, as long as we continue to carry plates begging for alms like we do during every AU, UN and G20 summits, they will continue to dictate and enforce their laws on us. If we do not obey, they will threaten us by withdrawing 'alms' (otherwise called aid) to us and we will go running back.

So don't sit down there and blame the 'west' for dictating to us, blame our leaders for being daft and stupid and corrupt. They steal all the money that should be used to develop our land and also steal from the alms we get from our colonial masters. Also while you are doing the blame thing. blame also we ther citizens for our stupidity. We, in our hundreds of millions sit down and watch a few thousand idiots control our lives and all we do is come on the internet and throw blames into space.

Mr Afam, in all the examples you could give, the person you could name is Mugabe? Have you spoken to a Zimbabwean recently? what has Mugabe's policies done for the average Zimbabwean? Do you know the irony of that arguement? They dont even have a currency in Zimbabwe anymore. They spend the American dollar. Yup, the same 'west' they are asking not to dictate to them.

So guys, like a wise man said, he who pays the piper, dictates the tune, as long as the WEST continue to give us alms, they will continue to dictate the tune. And they do it anywhere they like. I think they are even giving us a bit of respect by calling press conferences, left to me, Il make decisions in the toilet and pass it down! And you better obey!
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by Kobojunkie: 3:01pm On Sep 25, 2009
proudly9ja:

In as much as I may agree with the 'idea' behind your arguements Ild like you to know that noone can make you feel inferior without your permission.
The West as you call it CANNOT dictate to Africa. They can only advice. Africa on the other hand can either accept or not. However, as long as we continue to carry plates begging for alms like we do during every AU, UN and G20 summits, they will continue to dictate and enforce their laws on us. If we do not obey, they will threaten us by withdrawing 'alms' (otherwise called aid) to us and we will go running back.

So don't sit down there and blame the 'west' for dictating to us, blame our leaders for being daft and stupid and corrupt. They steal all the money that should be used to develop our land and also steal from the alms we get from our colonial masters. Also while you are doing the blame thing. blame also we ther citizens for our stupidity. We, in our hundreds of millions sit down and watch a few thousand idiots control our lives and all we do is come on the internet and throw blames into space.

Mr Afam, in all the examples you could give, the person you could name is Mugabe? Have you spoken to a Zimbabwean recently? what has Mugabe's policies done for the average Zimbabwean? Do you know the irony of that arguement? They dont even have a currency in Zimbabwe anymore. They spend the American dollar. Yup, the same 'west' they are asking not to dictate to them.

So guys, like a wise man said, he who pays the piper, dictates the tune, as long as the WEST continue to give us alms, they will continue to dictate the tune. And they do it anywhere they like. I think they are even giving us a bit of respect by calling press conferences, left to me, Il make decisions in the toilet and pass it down! And you better obey!

Well put!
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by agathamari(f): 3:55pm On Sep 25, 2009
britian is a monarchy and therfor doenst have a constitution. constitutions are an aspect of democracys and republics not monarchys or empires. as far as whestern countries critisizing eachother and thier policies. if you truly believe they dont then you obviously dont watch cnn/bbc/fox/cspan/msnbc/abc/euro news or any other news sorce because they do. the two biggerst right now are the us vs canada on healthcare. demark vs england on monarchy rules. gremany and france have been at it lately. have we forgoten russia, east/west berlin, italy and switzerland? dont most people here consider iran and mexico as "western" and yet everyone is at thier throats. everyone has an opinion of how everyone else should do things, its life deal with it. if your country didnt want to follow the advice of the world then they wouldnt. there are hundrds of countries throughout the wrld who dont want to hear it and noone messes with them. your issue isnt with the "west" its with your own poloticans for listening
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by Afam(m): 4:57pm On Sep 25, 2009
proudly9ja:

Mugabe is the only reasonable example considering the fact that those who tried to do this in the past are dead, people like Sankara, Lumumba, etc.

Again, the West does not stop at withdrawing AID, they sponsor coups, assassinations, wars etc just to get what they want if the countries they are interested in go not agree to their "advice" or demands.

Do not forget Iraq.
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by asha80(m): 5:07pm On Sep 25, 2009
Until the Africa learnd to stand on its feet and not go cap in hand begging for loans and aid it will not stop period.i wonder how much dictation the west hads out to china, taiwan,japan or even india.
Re: The West Should Not Dictate To Africa by lipuka(m): 9:53am On Sep 27, 2009
We seem to think the same. Africa should be able to say no. Maybe Muammar Kaddafi is right when he talks about a United States of Africa

(1) (Reply)

Suprise! You Can Still Find Good (kind Hearted) Operative In Nigerian Police / Dangote May File For Bankruptcy? / Sorry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.