Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,700 members, 7,827,567 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:41 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (46) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (675259 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 5:26pm On Aug 30, 2016
mevisbleek:

Has 300 been released?

Thought 150 is the latest
that would make multi gameplay online super fast...chai shocked shocked
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 5:32pm On Aug 30, 2016
LagosismyHome, imperiouxx, is there any way a J1 student can either stay or continue taking classes even if contract has ended with his/her country has expired......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by lionlee216(m): 6:09pm On Aug 30, 2016
Lagosismyhome attend to my email

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by edogasz: 6:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
osahons9:

I don't school there but i applied to it. The school is pretty expensive so if you have the money, Good and ride on. It's a good school. I attend UT Arlington though.

thank you Osahon. How can I talk privately with you via email or any means okay with you pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by osahons9(m): 7:23pm On Aug 30, 2016
edogasz:

thank you Osahon. How can I talk privately with you via email or any means okay with you pls

PM me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:36pm On Aug 30, 2016
osahons9:

Is the 9ja man a citizen?
If [s] yes, MARRIAGE Overrides all previous agreement.[/s] she should file asap.
If No, She can file but it might take up 10 years for them to hear her case. This means she has to go through the OPT-H1B route.

The above is not in all cases oo. A friend was on visa which had a requirement to go back to Naija for at least 2 years .... Despite she got married to citizen she had to hire an immigration lawyer to prove that her departure from the U.S. would cause her husband exceptional hardship, that was d only way the 2 years was waived

CC Mustghan as for your sister i cannot really comment. She has to check with an immigration expert

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:38pm On Aug 30, 2016
amanze15:
LagosismyHome, imperiouxx, is there any way a J1 student can either stay or continue taking classes even if contract has ended with his/her country has expired......

Sorry i have no idea other than the basic knowledge of J1 ......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 7:43pm On Aug 30, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Sorry i have no idea other than the basic knowledge of J1 ......
oh thank you, just a friend having a midlife crisis grin about her next decision in life so i am trying to help her get as much information on what step she wants to take as she says she likes i here (US)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:56pm On Aug 30, 2016
amanze15:
oh thank you, just a friend having a midlife crisis grin about her next decision in life so i am trying to help her get as much information on what step she wants to take as she says she likes i here (US)

With d way naija is going .... i cant blame her ooo. Who will want to go back
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 8:04pm On Aug 30, 2016
LagosismyHome:

With d way naija is going .... i cant blame her ooo. Who will want to go back
thats true but she's from dominican republic
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by poohbearie(f): 8:26pm On Aug 30, 2016
Y do i love this thread so much..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Priceless200(f): 8:33pm On Aug 30, 2016
gunther6:

Chi you got PM
You too sir, you got plenty mails
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by sobastical: 8:53pm On Aug 30, 2016
poohbearie:
Y do i love this thread so much..

Because only you can answer that cheesy

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 9:05pm On Aug 30, 2016
amanze15:

When changing from status to the other, you know the only way is by adjustment of status. For your questions: Can he stay? Anyone on non immigrant visa has to leave after completion of the terms and conditions of the visa. Can he continue taking classes? Possibly, but this is after he successfully adjust his status through uscis. Note that it takes many months to adjust status and such application might be denied.

For more info on this, you can direct it to the NIV guys here.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 9:16pm On Aug 30, 2016
edogasz:
hello house i want to start my application for UofH . any one who in Houston university or applying too who can help with a low down of documents and advice. i have gotten all info from their site , but i just need like a guide who have done same thing . thanks

please @pattyreal, how can i contact you , for assistance .

The documents needed are listed on the school website

What type of guide do you want because there are so many guides that i am aware of..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 9:33pm On Aug 30, 2016
Djponpin1:
Please I need your assistance guys and I would like to have someone to guide me with this STUDY IN US don't mind me am nub to this field and I don't want to be a victim of scam. Am applying for International Freshman Admission Spring 2017 during filling I was ask "HIGH SCHOOL CODE" I try to search for my secondary school code even on Google but I can't find it, have use 000004 not going you can add me on my BBM 5926924D if you dont mind thanks.

If you carefully follow it you will see option where you can work things out if your school doesn't have code..

The code the guy posted is about SAT test registration and school admission registration.. Is that what you are apply for also ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 10:59pm On Aug 30, 2016
I greet you all
E be like say i don advertise my school wella.
Please those shooting me pm, Tntech is not a rich school. Funding is by the grace of God.
Ace your gre and toefl wella with a good cgpa and you would stand a chance.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 30, 2016
sobastical:

Because only can answer that cheesy
u dey here ehhh.. no sure sure today?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 12:40am On Aug 31, 2016
imperiouxx:

When changing from status to the other, you know the only way is by adjustment of status. For your questions: Can he stay? Anyone on non immigrant visa has to leave after completion of the terms and conditions of the visa. Can he continue taking classes? Possibly, but this is after he successfully adjust his status through uscis. Note that it takes many months to adjust status and such application might be denied.

For more info on this, you can direct it to the NIV guys here.
thank you sir.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by MrMann1(m): 1:24am On Aug 31, 2016
showemimogab:
I am new here. Can someone please help me out on how to get USA student visa with hnd.
Guy, go and do PGD, get the transcript and include it in your application.. else they will ask you to do Bachelors degree first, and rubbish your HND
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by MrMann1(m): 1:28am On Aug 31, 2016
ddbluv:
Anybody who cannot get on campus Job and don't want to do illegal work should hola me. i.e. If you came January and there are few opportunities in your school during winter OR you came fall and your not sure there will be on campus opportunity / you couldnt get CPT job in your field.
File for Economic hardship and site Nigerian economic and foreign exchange woes to get authorization to work for any company outside campus.
NB: This is very helpful for undergraduate students who have 4yrs of school, master student, its only if you have extra 1year or semester then it may be helpful.
I was the first in my school to file and I got it, I can put you through if you need it. Also, you can use the authorization to work 40hrs sef even if your restricted to 20hrs, employers dont send just make sure you they pay you cash after the 20hrs.

Very helpful... Thanks for this advice. I no see on campus, cos all the place are filled up, I will discuss this issue with Intl office.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by masquellett(m): 1:33am On Aug 31, 2016
NB: This post might be LONG, but trust me, it will inspire one or two people on this forum and few people will gain from my journey to the US...

RECAP:

Profile:
GRE: 291
GPA: 3.61
Course: Computer Information System (Ms)
School: KUNJ
Funding: Half GA

Travel transcript

So i left Nigeria for the United states on Tuesday 24th August, 2016 through Royal Air maroc. Got to the airport pretty early with my family around 7pm. We had to chill inside the airport till around 2:30am when they began checking us in. I was jejely on the queue when I jammed Gbenga Adeyinka the First shocked, he is a popular comedian on TV. i was just smiling because inside me, I was thinking that the Nigerian economy has affected all of us oo. I never expected to see a high class celebrity comedian on a low budget class flight like that as people categorized Royal Air Maroc. I sha bone the guy undecided, did my checking in, got my boarding pass and proceeded to the boarding gates. I bid my family farewell, hugged my mum, dad and bro for sometime embarassed cry and left. Got to the boarding gate, met a security guy tasking me undecided, I sha gave him the last #1000 on me, went past him, stamped my passport cheesy and boarded the RAM flight to Casablanca, morocco. Flight was boring sad and smooth. No entertainment, slept for some few hours too. Got to Casablanca around 10:30am (UTC Casablanca). Then a bus took us to a lodge like that in the airport. We were in the lodge for over 15hours, although there was free wifi that kept me going for some hours but I wasn't really okay. I saw Arabs everywhere going for Hajj and all. I will rate the food 49% (NB: personal rate, not general). They brought the same set of chops (food) both in the afternoon and night sad. Thanks to the Gala and Coke i took along with me and also thanks to femi321 for the heads-up. We left morocco at exactly 3:15am Moroccan time (if that's correct). We boarded a bigger plane, nice, with USB charging port and free wifi + entertainment. Watched like 2 movies and slept for some hours too, woke up filled my custom declaration paper and signed. Didn't take much stuffs, my two bags weren't even weighing up to 35kg. Got to the US (JFK) around 7:30am Eastern time, this oyinbo people started clapping, I just dey look them, i was thanking God while they were clapping. lol. Proceeded to the CBP Officer and the following conversations occurred:...

Me: Good morning sir
CBP: Morning, (let me have your documents...)
Me: Here you go sir (Presented my i20 and passport)
CBP: Oh, you are student, that's good
Me: yes, thank you sir
CBP: what course will you be studying?
Me: Computer information systems (Ms)
CBP: How many years would you be staying?
Me: just 2 years sir
CBP: where are you going right now?
Me: I am going straight to school sir
CBP: Do you know how to get there?
Me: yes, I do. thank you (Thanks to Lagosismyhome for the direction)
CBP: Okay, put your four fingers on the biometric scanner and so so so....
Me : Okay
CBP: okay, you can go now
Me: Thank you sir

Then i proceeded to claim my luggage, did another security check and my rice was trashed. Only God knows why. They left Garri and trashed rice, i sha bone. I stepped outside and thank God once again.

First Week experience:

I was having accommodation problem and couldn't get where to stay in New Jersey before I left Nigeria for the US. A Nigerian colleague of mine who finished from the school totally ignored me cry. Pleaded with him for weeks to help me, he was scoping me and all. so, I was just on my own. I picked up my luggage and went straight to school, I already mailed the international office to help with accommodation too, but they said all rooms were filled up, that I should try hotel and all undecided. I didn't even answer them, I just carried my load, followed directions and landed in school with all my load #GBAM grin. (Don't try this, it might not work for you). Immediately, i proceeded with my load into the admissions office, a pretty young white sweet chick came to attend to me kiss, told her I am from Nigeria, an international graduate student, that I just landed and I don't have where to stay. From there, I met a professor too, explained to him and they started work on where I could stay. This people are very nice oo. Before I knew, hostel wey dem say don full just open straight. i Was given a room to stay temporarily that same day. A big room sef, only me, pending when I will get my room for a subsidized token. Fair enough for me and it was credited to my school bill. No pressure.
The second day i started registration and all. Along the line, i found out that I needed to pay the rest of my tuition immediately i register my courses which was about $5600 or else my schedule will be dropped shocked shocked embarassed. I never knew it would happen so soon. I was thinking that my half GA would cover me for some time, pending when I will be able to pay the rest. I came into the country with just $1050 and my parents aint buoyant enough to fund me. I was hoping on paying my tuition with the half GA and oncampus jobs. Then i started running from pillar to post. Went to the financial aids office, they said aint a citizen, that i am not qualified for financial aid, i requested for student load, them say make i go bank. Na so my body system scatter like glass wey fall for ground cry. Then i remembered the professor that has been helping me while i was applying for admission into graduate school. I mailed him and explained my plight he said, he could only help me if no one comes in to claim the GA given to them. Na so i begin prayer ooo. Day and night prayer inside obodo oyinbo land. Just this afternoon, while i was running around, trying to get a room for myself, I received an email from the graduate school that my GA has been changed from half to FULLLL (eeyin Olowa logooo), and I will be allowed to work 20hrs in the school cheesy cheesy cheesy. I was so happy. I just knelt down and thank God where i was. The Oyinbos wey dey pass just they look me, say, wetin dey do this one. I no even send them grin grin. I just started thanking God. Now i owe the school just a few dolls for staying in the school dorm temporarily. THanK God. This is just to someone out there who wants to give up. Don't give up. I tell you, God is great and he is a living God. He is far too kind to me, ever since i started this Masters application, he has sent helpers to me and I am so grateful to God. Just work hard, pray and believe in God. He will perform wonders in your life. Juts BELIEVE#

Sorry for the long post guys. I just need to do this. Thanks for reading and do have a great day or night. whichever one is applicable. Stay blessed.

Blessings to my hommie nifty

cc: sureb0y, femi321, walspring, yorubadboy, chaincasescuzzimyguy (werey i no know ur nairaland ID loool..)

Funding update: FULL GA.

45 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by MrMann1(m): 1:58am On Aug 31, 2016
ddbluv:

Its the normal process for filing for OPT... it takes 90 days and you can must have completed 1 academic year. So you can file 3 mths b4 you complete 1 academic yr i.e. If you enter Aug, you can file around Feb ahead of Mid May so it will commence when u finish exam.
School must write for you, you have to explain to them very well. Mine knew about it but did not know the process, we both read it together and reasoned the best approach to get it.
You have to plan ahead in this country. You apply for PhD now against next yr fall. Everything in this country na planning and it takes time. It is for those who get DRIVE, as far as your not paying for it, I suggest you apply for anything in this country that is free

So, the plan is for students that already have some GP
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mrjojo: 5:42am On Aug 31, 2016
happy for you bros @masquellett

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 31, 2016
ddbluv:

Why cant he fill married?, so because he want to study, he shouldnt marry? Except if the marriage cert was b4 he applied earlier when he filled single. If its a recent marriage cert, this will be a major difference in your application compared to the previous ones
Did you finally get funding or you're still paying fees from your pocket?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by sobastical: 7:19am On Aug 31, 2016
smithsydny:
u dey here ehhh.. no sure sure today?

Chai you don turn monitoring spirit? lol

My brother na God sure pass jare, that one na by-the-way . dem don close that thread sef. .lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:58am On Aug 31, 2016
sobastical:

Chai you don turn monitoring spirit? lol

My brother na God sure pass jare, that one na by-the-way . dem don close that thread sef. .lol
grin grin grin grin my man u wan go amelika?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by sobastical: 8:50am On Aug 31, 2016
smithsydny:
grin grin grin grin my man u wan go amelika?

You don't even know if am text from there....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 31, 2016
sobastical:

You don't even know if am text from there....
chaai. cheesy cheesy cheesy amelikan man send dollars oo. grin grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by titobaba91(m): 9:28am On Aug 31, 2016
Can anyone help with GRE registration?...I don't just get what the page is saying.....this is my number +2349051472841 thanks in advance

(1) (2) (3) ... (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.