Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,368 members, 7,850,339 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 06:54 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (681663 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neahyo(m): 2:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
LagosismyHome:

You have to check your target school for their requirements , and the fact that this might be yes in one school doesnt mean yes in another school . Also some schools waive or dont require TOEFL some schools its mandatory .......so if you dont want to do TOEFL then its best to target the schools that this is not a requirement

You have a strong GPA for Graduate assistance so definitely take GRE if you dont want to take TOEFL , study very well for it . That will open up your choice for funding

Thank you very much sister for your valuable advice. A quick Google search shows that the school that do waive it are lowly ranked, also I will take IELP courses in English language.

The exchange rate is not smiling at all, I guess Fall 2017 will hold on for now.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 2:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
Those of you that don't wanna write toefl, be warned! I didn't write toefl so getting funding wasn't easy.When I got here, even guys from Bangladesh India Sri Lanka got TA and me that my English is top notch didn't get anything.
The grad school said I'm proficient in English but my dept said no. No be small thing o. My solid background got me funding. I am not taking any prerequisites unlike other incoming students. In short, write toefl. Abeg.
My fellow students said I speak good English grin You go wan fear sexy voice na cheesy

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dotmanxp(m): 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
i just stumbled on this thread now, i am a pharmacist and would like to go for my masters at the states. i no sabi peke about how to go about it. would like a list of what to do after finding a school which u meet its requirements.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neahyo(m): 2:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
DeeTus:

Your question has already been answered!
Thank you sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neahyo(m): 2:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
OluDare01:
Those of you that don't wanna write toefl, be warned! I didn't write toefl so getting funding wasn't easy.When I got here, even guys from Bangladesh India Sri Lanka got TA and me that my English is top notch didn't get anything.
The grad school said I'm proficient in English but my dept said no. No be small thing o. My solid background got me funding. I am not taking any prerequisites unlike other incoming students. In short, write toefl. Abeg.
My fellow students said I speak good English grin You go wan fear sexy voice na cheesy

Baba, no be so na...I no dey fear the exam at all, na the way things just be for ground.

Many thanks bro, I'll put in my effort to see I write it this year or next.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 2:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
neahyo:

Baba, no be so na...I no dey fear the exam at all, na the way things just be for ground.

Many thanks bro, I'll put in my effort to see I write it this year or next.
I didn't say you're afraid or scared
I don talk my own
$180 saves you a lot of stress
You won't understand until you get here and see people stranded

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dramaka(m): 2:55pm On Sep 02, 2016
neahyo:
Good afternoon house, please can I use my WAEC certificate (score in English language) as proof that I'm a native speaker/English is my first language.

P.S : I can't afford TOEFL for now
My profile : CGPA 3.86/4.00 (after conversion)
Aim: PHD Computational Statistics and Machine learning or Biostatistics
BSc : Statistics
Cc Lagosismyhome Walspring DeeTus and all other gurus....

Guy, you have a First Class. You also have a BSc in Statistics. Getting a GA won't be difficult at all for your intended major. I mean it, it won't be difficult.
I strongly advise that, with all joy and gladness, take TOEFL/IELTS and blast it, even if you have to borrow money now. The benefits of doing these English Language proficiency tests would become clear when you get to your school. You would hear of others taking ESOL courses and paying for it all because they did not do any of these tests. Remember to blast it, say, score 8.0 or more overall in IELTS.

The medium and above-average schools you want will give you Teaching Assistantship with reckless abandon. Don't give this a second thought again!

You didn't mention GRE, I hope you have that down too.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
neahyo:

Thank you very much sister for your valuable advice. A quick Google search shows that the school that do waive it are lowly ranked, also I will take IELP courses in English language.

The exchange rate is not smiling at all, I guess Fall 2017 will hold on for now.

Abeg no hold just like that ............Fall 2017 still far small . If that all that is pending , i would say continue with the school waka and as a NAIJA i would say keep praying and believing and doors will open somehow . $180 cannot hold you down , you go overcome that exchange rate .

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 3:05pm On Sep 02, 2016
neahyo:

With full funding
You'd still spend up to a million before you get here.
Aside application
Sevis and visa fee
Flight
Settling down
My brother,you won't start receiving your stipend immediately.
So brace up
Have a nice day
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dramaka(m): 3:12pm On Sep 02, 2016
OluDare01:

With full funding
You'd still spend up to a million before you get here.
Aside application
Sevis and visa fee
Flight
Settling down
My brother,you won't start receiving your stipend immediately.
So brace up
Have a nice day

Succinct, yet comprehensive. Brace up neahyo.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 3:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
abeg make una help me ooooo. I'm unable to make payment for my SAT on college board .I'm just receiving response of "payment not proceed". even I tried using my PayPal account it still doesn't work and I've contacted my bank they couldn't do anything .pls help o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Mustghan(m): 3:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
dotmanxp:
i just stumbled on this thread now, i am a pharmacist and would like to go for my masters at the states. i no sabi peke about how to go about it. would like a list of what to do after finding a school which u meet its requirements.

Welcome bro, for the record,....nothing good comes easy. If u gat tym slack some stress, enjoy the thread from part one. I bet u won't have any regrets. U will read testimonies, right from d horses mouth. Don't lemme say much......... (Secret: i can't quantize aw much knowledge I had from dis thread)

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Mustghan(m): 3:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Correct ....The problem with the phd is that she would be able to extend her f1 but not be able to change status to PR or any spouse visa so in some years still at this same point .... because of fullbright thing she expected to spend 2 years in naija thats all.

if its me i will not postpone that issue , i would just get rid of it now then start afresh . Do 1 year that is left in naija then come back for phd. That way her phd can be on her husband dependent visa (although i am not sure what exactly that is, if spouse of a citizen better then her 5 or 3 years starts counting to her own citizenship ) instead of been on F1 visa again . ... because if after phd she then gets a good job that willing to file h1b (let assume she wasn't married and need h1b after opt). The company will still not be able to file h1b until she has fulfilled the 2 years giving back . ..... if she knew she would have just waited one more year in naija before going for d masters in d first place and this issue would never have been there . ...i really don't see d big deal in going back to naija for one more year to resolve this issue once and for all if she cannot get a waiver........ Why postpone it

Ehn ehn, DAT reminds me. She was in naija after the FLTA for 6month before she storm back for her masters. I think we can count d six month out too abi?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2016
neahyo:

Thank you sir!
That's okay!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 3:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
Mustghan:

Ehn ehn, DAT reminds me. She was in naija after the FLTA for 6month before she storm back for her masters. I think we can count d six month out too abi?

Yes every time in Naija counts , she would just need to show proof such as stamp of entry and flight ticket(s) (so the burden of proof is with her) ... The two years home residency requirement (giving back) doesn't have to be at a stretch
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by electronic(m): 4:44pm On Sep 02, 2016
slimmy2005:
You need safe schools as well. I can drop some. Just inbox me

noted Thanks Man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by electronic(m): 4:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
Christian129:

Baba, why not write TOEFL? I think it would increase your chances of securing a GA/TA position. But wetin I know.

I am planning that man
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by iCool(m): 4:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
dotmanxp:

Aside the other reply to this post, read through page 9 of this thread. A summary of the process is there.

I started out just like you without any idea 2months back and now I am about writing the qualifying exams. Good luck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Schwartz: 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
imperiouxx:

especially Nigerians. However, try weigh where/when to cry well, US too could be frustrating, especially for couple students who don't have much options after graduation.

Best!
Thanks to you and Lagosismyhome. They have shelved the idea of schooling in US. But it was a huge shock to them finding out that they can't work outside campus
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:18pm On Sep 02, 2016
Schwartz:

Thanks to you and Lagosismyhome. They have shelved the idea of schooling in US. But it was a huge shock to them finding out that they can't work outside campus

Depend on what their plans are ..........People still make it and rough it somehow in the US and Canada despite the restriction of working outside campus . Also if they do get full GA then really tuition is taken care off and the 20 hours go a while so that help. They might not need to work outside campus if you have full GA ...

I dont know what their plans are but for me that my be better than sitting in Nigeria years going by and not doing much ......... They can also look into Canada express entry system and see if they qualify, that too is better as well . Nigeria is for the rich or people with good jobs in my opinion . If you dont have much going on there they PORT asap .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Hushee(m): 5:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
slimmy2005:
How then did you get a grad admission in the first place? It sounds a bit confusing. If they evaluated your transcript to be 93 units then how the hell did they offer you grad admission or I didn't get the whole stuff clearly. Well my school accepts HND till date. You don't even have to evaluate your transcript.
Boss, what's the name of your school?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by amanze15(m): 5:33pm On Sep 02, 2016
OluDare01:
when you be Australian the day one idiot asked me " do you speak english with your roommate? " for my mind i sey na swahili we dey speak, the british really tried to teach "good english", just twitch your accent and Americans would understand you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by hybeenoni: 5:45pm On Sep 02, 2016
Plz can anybody assist me onhow to calculate my CGPA using the 4- points scale?
I need it to know if I meet the minimum requirement in the school I hope to apply to.

Cc: LagosIsMyHome
You have been so helpful on this thread
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 5:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
amanze15:
when you be Australian the day one idiot asked me " do you speak english with your roommate? " for my mind i sey na swahili we dey speak, the british really tried to teach "good english", just twitch your accent and Americans would understand you
grin grin
Exactly
But Ebonics na another level o
Thank God I'm in the south.
I dey flow freely with their accent for here
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by worry359(m): 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
hybeenoni:
I need it to know if I meet the minimum requirement in the school I hope to apply to.

You can try this one.
http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/apply/gpa_calc.php

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 6:06pm On Sep 02, 2016
hybeenoni:

You can relax that you definitely meet the requirement for gpa ....because most schools say above 3.0 ....... 3.08 /5 is almost where 3.0/4 meet ..... so 3.20 will be above 3.0 ...worry359 nice one

Source : Based on bigfrancis21 calculation
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by MrMann1(m): 6:20pm On Sep 02, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Please what the name of this school ........ Person gats to be careful grin , as they are dashing out extra credit $$$$$ to do before credit $$$ for masters even begins
Lols. Its Texas Southern
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Hushee(m): 6:22pm On Sep 02, 2016
worry359:

You can try this one.
http://www.admissions.iastate.edu/apply/gpa_calc.php
I don't think this is correct o, it just removes one from your CGPA.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by almeida3: 6:33pm On Sep 02, 2016
LagosismyHome:

You can relax that you definitely meet the requirement for gpa ....because most schools say above 3.0 ....... 3.08 /5 is almost where 3.0/4 meet ..... so 3.20 will be above 3.0 ...worry359 nice one

Source : Based on bigfrancis21 calculation
This our bigfancis21 calculator is legendary! Giving genuine hope since time immemorial!

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by abduldope(m): 7:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
Walspring:

You need to enter it this way;

1, Enter Course Title (Optional) You type the course title *introduction to network*

2, Enter Credits You type the unit either *2* or *3* or *4*

3, Enter Grade You type either *A* or *B* or *C* or *D* or *E* or *F*

4, To add more courses click: ADD Course you need add all the courses by starting from your 1st year course till your final year course

5, After adding then you click calculate GPA

You can use either alphabetical grade or numeric grade

tnx sir d gpa was 2.23. what is ur advice pls ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by dotmanxp(m): 7:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
iCool:

Aside the other reply to this post, read through page 9 of this thread. A summary of the process is there.

I started out just like you without any idea 2months back and now I am about writing the qualifying exams. Good luck!
thanks bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by imperiouxx(m): 8:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
slimmy2005:
Yeah I know that. Once just have to respect intellectual property sometimes and appreciate efforts to put down to get it out.

Please, I have a friend that is Pace University. She is presently in Connecticut but looking for how to get accommodation in Manhattan. I don't know much about New York. Any suggestion how to get cheap and safe accommodation.

If she specifically wants Manhattan, then Harlem might be the only affordable place for students in Manhattan. But why can't she look for a place in Staten Island and take free ferry (25 mins) to the other side. Then walk (15 mins) from the south ferry (Manhattan side) to Pace Uni on John Street or take M15 express bus (free if she had swiped her metrocard within the last 2 hrs in Staten Island) from the south ferry to Fulton street, which is almost the beginning of John street where PU is located. This will save her damn lot of money.

If she's thinking of taking her car to school, tell her people here don't take their cars to Manhattan because no free parking. Paid parking start from 25/hr during peak hour.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (405)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Giving Birth In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.