Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,847 members, 7,810,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? (2875 Views)

Atiku Abubakar: "Why I Married More Than 1 Wife" / How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? / Is Atiku Abubakar Corrupt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by saintchux(m): 2:13pm On Dec 11, 2006
I have beeing wondering who is this man Atiku Abubakar that OBJ is using all the resources within his disposal to stop him from being the president of this country.

Why all these energies just to stop Atiku?

Who is this man that the president has to kneel down before him in other to secure a second term in office? So I heard.

Who is this man??
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by habumaks(m): 3:17pm On Dec 11, 2006
Well i think the answer is very simple.
Atiku is a very experienced politician. OBJ saw this in him and decided to make him the number-two man. Therefore Atiku now become the pilot and OBJ the co-pilot (if i may use that) for some time and when the inexperienced guy (OBJ) learnt some few things from journey decided to take over control of the plane. Meanwhile there might be some agreement between the duo come 2007. The quest for more power or do i say power intoxicates Papa Obj. and without seeking for the opinion of his deputy decided to venture for elongation of tenure thru the constitutional amendment (third term saga). This move was strongly opposed by his deputy and hence the present feud between them. What do you think?
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by TerraCotta(m): 3:54pm On Dec 11, 2006
That's an interesting theory. You do realize that Obasanjo had already been military leader of Nigeria and initiated the first democratic handover in the country's history while Atiku was still working in customs somewhere? Or that Atiku's political mentor was Obasanjo's deputy, Shehu Yar'Adua? I don't think it makes any sense to compare Obasanjo and Atiku in terms of political experience and merits. And whether or not you're an Obasanjo fan, the truth is that Atiku had been raiding the PTDF (petroleum technology development fund), which is the savings fund that reserves some of the country's oil wealth for development projects. Obasanjo's administration has paid back the nation's crippling debt and saved a record $41 billion dollars in external reserves. He's revitalized the railroad industry (that died following his first administration in the late '70s, ironically) and under his watch Nigeria has become the biggest cassava exporter producer in the world. In comparison, Atiku owns million-dollar homes in Maryland, USA though he cannot account for any other income beyond his customs officer salary/pension. Instead, he wants us to believe that he made his money renting houses in Nigeria. I have nothing against him--I just think he's a fraud who's done nothing worthy of respect. Obasanjo's not perfect, either, but he's been the first head-of-state to effectively challenge corruption in decades and he's set the country on the right path. His biggest mistake was probably choosing to align himself with Atiku (possibly as a favor to his dead friend, Shehu Yar'Adua), who's turned out to be a thieving turncoat--he funded the creation of the Action Congress party that would be loyal to him with fellow criminals like Bola Tinubu while still in PDP. That's my two kobo on the situation, anyway.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by habumaks(m): 4:38pm On Dec 11, 2006
He's revitalized the railroad industry (that died following his first administration in the late '70s, ironically) and under his watch Nigeria has become the biggest cassava exporter in the world
@terracotta
You call that achievement? after 8 years of looting our treasury and (what railroad are u talkin' 'bout?) something of last month common, you said you are not OBJ's fan but honestly you are sounding lyk one. Cassava? what 'bout oil and the money realised from that? LIBRARY, TRANSCORP?

OBJ was not doing Yar'adua a favour by picking Atiku. Atiku was the man OBJ needed to give him some clues about politics, OBJ was obviously not a good politician and he found those qualities in Atiku. And there was disgreement between them which is normal. He was tried isnt it? Both Lagos and Abuja Courts nullified the allegations. Im not anybody's fan here. The fact is that we should stop taking sides when it come to judging these people.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by saintchux(m): 4:52pm On Dec 11, 2006
TerraCotta:

And whether or not you're an Obasanjo fan

I am niether OBJ nor Atiku fan. But my interest is that, there must be something that baba is protecting or hidding that he don't want Atiku to see or reveal. If not why all these energies just ot stop one Atiku Abubakar from being president.

I will never be OBJ fan. He had the opportunity to make this country great but he messed up.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by TerraCotta(m): 5:55pm On Dec 11, 2006
habumaks:

@terracotta
You call that achievement? after 8 years of looting our treasury and (what railroad are u talkin' 'bout?) something of last month common, you said you are not OBJ's fan but honestly you are sounding like one. Cassava? what 'bout oil and the money realised from that? LIBRARY, TRANSCORP?

Where's the evidence of Obasanjo looting the treasury? The govt paid $12 billion to the Paris Club, and has $41 billion in external reserves. That's $53 billion dollars accounted for without any consideration of what it takes to run the country. Those are macroeconomic plans that will benefit the country for decades down the line. You clear your debts before you go out and enjoy your income--that's the way it works anywhere around the world. Do you dispute that the country's the world's largest cassava producer, and that offers an alternative to the overdependance on oil? I'm not going to get involved with defending myself on OBJ--the guy's not my relative and he puts no money in my pockets. I'm just an objective observer of what's happened in Nigeria.

Regarding the presidential library, I'd appreciate it if you explained the crime in building a public presidential library and if you can tell us how much money OBJ chopped from the project. With regard to Transcorp ownership, I think that was a genuine impropiety, which is why he sold off the shares in his blind trust. Keep in mind that the issue of politicians maintaining investments in blind trusts has happened even in the US with Bill Frist. I don't think that's evidence of corruption, especially when there's no evidence that he even knew of the share purchases.

OBJ was not doing Yar'adua a favour by picking Atiku. Atiku was the man OBJ needed to give him some clues about politics, OBJ was obviously not a good politician and he found those qualities in Atiku.

This is the kind of irrational OBJ hatred that I don't understand. What public office had Atiku held before he became OBJ's VP? OBJ had led the country once before, served as a founding member of Transparency International, and was even discussed as a possible Secretary General of the UN. Do you think Atiku--who's former claim to fame was his role in allowing some Northern noblemen to smuggle 53 suitcases unchecked into the country as a head of the customs service--has a resume that matches up to that? He was on the verge of being imprisoned by the Buhari/Idiagbon regime (another productive, albeit dictatorial duo) when they were overthrown by Babangida. Please show Atiku's political experience so I can understand which qualities Obasanjo found in him. Beyond Atiku's supposed stint in student government before working as a customs officer, his political life was shaped by Shehu Yar'Adua, who built the PDM movement that made Atiku relevant. Again, Yar'Adua was Obasanjo's deputy--how does this equate to Atiku being a better politician?

And there was disgreement between them which is normal. He was tried isnt it? Both Lagos and Abuja Courts nullified the allegations. I'm not anybody's fan here. The fact is that we should stop taking sides when it come to judging these people.

Atiku is suing to stop his suspension from the PDP, even as he's funded and created the Action Congress party. That's like someone suing Sony to keep their job while they develop a side project with Philips. If you say you're not taking side, no problem--neither OBJ or Atiku are my main concern, as I'm hoping to see Donald Duke lead the country to new heights after Dec. 16. My only qualm is the lack of objectivity when talking about OBJ's achievements. He has many real failures--lack of steady power supply being one main one (though the creation of PHCN sub-companies is another benefit we'll reap for decades to come), but also questions about transparency and his relationship with people like Andy Uba. That does not negate the many good things the country's seen under his tenure.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by dreadlock: 10:42pm On Jan 09, 2007
grin we can proudly say atiku is a force to be reckoned wit i,, do hope he becomes president all u have to give the man credit for standing up for democracy n that the kind of leaders we need to lead nigeria frwd , clearly obsj has no respect for the arms of goverment afterall he rules nigeria as if he is ruling otta farm, while am still on the subject look at the condition of that otta farm when he waz outta of jail compare it wit now n u do the mathematics n see , look at the many cases of muyiwa buying properties abroad the facts remain that if yar adua becomes president obasanjo wud hav brilliantly achieved his 3rd term aggenda , why all of a sudden yar adua is picked b.cos he is the only 1 who can be held on a leash by baba my vote goes ATIKU , 2007
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by McKren(m): 12:50pm On Jan 10, 2007
even Atiku becomes president tomorrow it will not stop OBJ from being who he is, so anybody who thinks he wants to get back at OBJ and then vote Atiku is being naive.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by bigspif(m): 3:05pm On Jan 10, 2007
See me see as people dey put their mouth where eno belong. The fight don pass ya powers and u better leave matter my guys. But kudos to Habumaks wey don predict small wetin happen.
The tin be say wey no predict say Atiku (wey gather plenty experience for politics be it rigging or clean) go give us plenty wahala for the gofment.
Our time don come but as power sweet we no wan waka, he no wan support our extension, the tin vex us no be small (We tink say as we do am favour by elevating him from Govnor elect to a full fledged VP) .
True true na wetin happen be dat and the boy wan open our yansh after all what we did for am. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by saintchux(m): 4:43pm On Jan 10, 2007
big spif:

See me see as people dey put their mouth where eno belong. The fight don pass ya powers and u better leave matter my guys. But kudos to Habumaks wey don predict small wetin happen.
The tin be say wey no predict say Atiku (wey gather plenty experience for politics be it rigging or clean) go give us plenty wahala for the gofment.
Our time don come but as power sweet we no wan waka, he no wan support our extension, the tin vex us no be small (We think say as we do am favour by elevating him from Govnor elect to a full fledged VP) .
True true na wetin happen be that and the boy wan open our yansh after all what we did for am. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

wetin dey ur yansh that the boy wan open
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by Ejarune(m): 5:07pm On Jan 10, 2007
I wonder how people think shocked

Atiku standing against third term does not make him the President Nigeria needs. When we are talking about a President for the country please let's reason we need men with character and men that are not flowing with the usual way things are done now in the country we need a total change.

i don't think Atiku is that one.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by bigspif(m): 1:45pm On Jan 11, 2007
@saintchux broda the smell go plenty if the yansh open. E fit affect even you sef. grin grin
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by vizion: 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2007
TerraCotta:

This is the kind of irrational OBJ hatred that I don't understand. What public office had Atiku held before he became OBJ's VP? OBJ had led the country once before, served as a founding member of Transparency International, and was even discussed as a possible Secretary General of the UN. Do you think Atiku--who's former claim to fame was his role in allowing some Northern noblemen to smuggle 53 suitcases unchecked into the country as a head of the customs service--has a resume that matches up to that? He was on the verge of being imprisoned by the Buhari/Idiagbon regime (another productive, albeit dictatorial duo) when they were overthrown by Babangida. Please show Atiku's political experience so I can understand which qualities Obasanjo found in him. Beyond Atiku's supposed stint in student government before working as a customs officer, his political life was shaped by Shehu Yar'Adua, who built the PDM movement that made Atiku relevant. Again, Yar'Adua was Obasanjo's deputy--how does this equate to Atiku being a better politician?

http://www.thetimesofnigeria.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1675&PHPSESSID=a7b59f046f3494f2129d60657009f677
read the end of the above link and get ure facts right
atiku was a hero and not a villian
how and u claim that obj is a good politician and then turn around to say he was doing yar adua a favour by picking atiku. Good politicians don't do favours
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by McKren(m): 7:13pm On Jan 18, 2007
GUYS HERE GOES ANOTHER VERSION OF THE 53 SUITCASE SCANDAL OF 1984 TOLD BY ONE OF THE ACTORS AT THE TIME MUSTAPHA JOKOLO, THE THEN ADC TO BUHARI AND SON OF EMIR OF GWANDU, IN AN INTERVIEW WITH THE SUN.

Here are the excerpts:

Let’s talk about the controversial 53 suit cases you claimed for your father, the then Emir of Gwandu, in 1984. What is your version of the story?
I have said several times in the last twenty something years that I was innocent of everything. Now, it has turned round that somebody like Prof. Wole Soyinka wrote a book saying that I was smarter than Vice President Atiku. It was wrong of Wole Soyinka to say it happened in Kano. Look, in 1984, my father traveled to London for medical check up. He had an entourage of about 13 people. After his operation, he moved to Saudi Arabia for Umrah, the lesser hajj. On his way back, he was on the same flight with Ambassador Dahiru Waziri who was the Ambassador to Saudi Arabia for six years.

He was appointed State Chief of Protocol and so, was moving back with his entire family. So, he decided to come with them on the same aircraft. Around that time, there was currency change because of the poor economy of the country and the naira was all over the place. We had no control over our economy. The government planned a secret operation to change the colour of the currency. All borders were closed and that was the time when this aircraft was landing. When it came in, I remember we were about to play squash with Buhari, Idiagbon and others.

Then Buhari asked me if my father was not coming back that day. I said ‘Yes sir, we have already sent people to bring him back’. He said ‘Are you not going to receive him?’ I said ‘No sir’ and he said I should go and receive him. He gave me orders to go and receive him.
So, I asked Captain Maitama who was the Commander of the Brigade of Guard to accompany me. So, two of us drove to the Murtala Muhammad International Airport, Lagos. While there, I saw some officers who were going on course to the United States. Colonel Walbe was the one who arranged that course.

While we were there, I was told that the aircraft had landed and was also told that they had some problems at the baggage area. When I went with Captain Maitama, I saw some Customs officers with some of our people and I asked what the problem was. They said that the Customs said that they were not allowed to check the luggage. I asked why, every luggage here should be checked. They said those ones on the ground had been checked, but that there were some that were taken away from the aircraft itself in a truck direct from the State House without coming through the customs area. I said whose luggage were they and they said it belong to State Protocol.
One ASP Saidu Gella who also was from Adamawa state like the Chief of Protocol was the Luggage officer in the State House. He was the one who went with Maigari to collect the luggage direct from the aircraft without coming through the Customs. I said ‘Is there anyway you can call them?’ Unfortunately, we do not have the mobile telephone at that time. I asked if they had walkie talkie and the said they had none.

So, I said I was not here for him and asked if they had cleared these ones and he said they had cleared them. ‘Can we go?’ and they said ‘You can go’. I swear to Almighty Allah, if there is anything other than this, may God strike me dead. May he not forgive me my sins. That was all that I knew about all that happened. The following day, we read in the newspapers that there were 35 suit cases that passed through Customs without clearance.

The Emir did not come with 35 suit cases. It was the Chief of Protocol, Dahiru Waziri, whose luggage were taken away from the aircraft straight to his house without going through customs. The Emir’s baggage were not more than 12. All of them had one piece each because they had landed them there. Whatever shopping they did before, they transported them from London in an aircraft and they received them. So, we had cleared their luggage before. At this time, they were in London when there was this ban. When they finished, before they left, there was this border closure.

They had nothing to do with the 35 suit cases. When we cleared their luggage, they had not closed the border and so, they came with single baggage of their dresses. We did not allow what was going on. Then, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, the present Vice President was Area Administrator at the Murtala Muhammad International Airport. He was the one who came on air to say it was an Emir from the North who brought not 35, but 53 suit cases. Onalaope Soleye was the Finance Minister. To date that I am talking to you, nobody has asked me to answer anything.

I think there was power play at that time and there were many interest groups. There were people who were trying to bring Buhari down. Buhari’s half brother was on the Emir’s entourage who was father to Alhaji Mamman, same mother with Buhari. People knew about it. So, he was the target. Then, they started mentioning the Emir of Daura, but it was Buhari’s brother who was in the group. Now, Ambassador Dahiru Waziri was colleague to Ambassador Rafindadi who was the Director General of NSO. On their own part, they were trying to cover the Ambassador.

Another angle to it was that Atiku was aiming to be Director of Customs, while Abubakar Musa was Director of Customs. If he was painted in bad light, if Atiku presented himself as the champion of the discovery, Abubakar Musa being from Sokoto, would be painted black and possibly he would be removed and automatically, Atiku would be made Director of Customs. So, you see, there were three interest groups. One, people who are trying to paint Buhari black by referring to the Emir of Daura in the accusation. There was a mention of the Emir of Daura, but they knew it was Buhari’s brother, but they didn’t have the courage to mention Buhari’s brother, Alhaji Dauda. There are people like Atiku who were out to get the Director of Customs and there was Rafindadi, the Director General of NSO who was trying to protect his own friend, the State Chief of Protocol whom he brought to Buhari.

He never knew State Chief of Protocol and since I was there, my father was not the victim, but me. To get access to Buhari, they had to get me first. This is all part of power play and the whole thing was like that. It was being sponsored within the military itself. For example, when Chief Awolowo’s house was searched, Buhari never knew about it. He read it on the pages of newspapers. It was carried out by a group of military officers who arranged for Chief Awolowo’s house to be searched. They knew Buhari would not come out to say ‘I didn’t order it’. So, it was power play and I had no opportunity to defend myself because I was not allowed to speak.

@vizion

Why have you prefered Soyinka's speech or is it because he said what you want to hear.
Mustapha Jokolo was a principal actor at the time and has shed light on the true story why did Atiku or his aides not react.
Soyinka was a mere onlooker like every one else.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by alabiyemmy(m): 12:50am On Feb 04, 2007
The man is trying to portray himself as a saint to gain political followership and to score cheap political points - Nigerians will remember he is part of the same government for more than 8 years - whatever failure this government has - he himself had been part and nothing will exonorate him - or is he saying he had been quiet for 8 years? If he had been quiet for 8 years, then he doesnt have the good of Nigerians at heart - let him just wise up.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by saintchux(m): 8:43am On Feb 11, 2007
There must be something in Atiku Abubakar.

Why is everything being centered on Atiku?. Why is Baba so afraid of Atiku that he said that the april election is do or die for PDP. He don't want to hand over to criminals.

Why is it that now PDP want Atiku back? Is he no more corrupt? If PDP should ask Atiku to come back to PDP, they should tell Nigerian why and what they intend to achieve with that.

All these shows that all the campaign against Atiku, all the indictment is just a ploy to stop him from being president of this country.

PDP have achieved their aim. STOP ATIKU, now they want him back. Shame to PDP
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by McKren(m): 9:53am On Feb 11, 2007
You have to be careful jumpinginto conclusion, Atiku's PR have a habit of posting thingson themedia and claimingits the product of the Presidency.
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by alabiyemmy(m): 10:17am On Feb 11, 2007
@Saintchux

Where is it said by the PDP that they want Atiku back?
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by Smi1(m): 8:35pm On Aug 06, 2010
Sad saga !! lipsrsealed
Re: Who Is Atiku Abubakar & Why Is Obj After Him? by onyekaodogwu202: 12:52am On Jul 22, 2022
BIOGRAPHY AND LIFE OF NIGERIAN BUSINESSMAN AND POLITICIAN, ATIKU ABUBAKAR.

INTRODUCTION

Atiku Abubakar was the 11th Vice President of Nigeria from 1999 to 2007. He is a politician, business owner, and philanthropist. In 2019, he ran for president of Nigeria as a candidate for the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), but he lost to Muhammadu Buhari, who was running for the party that was already in power.

EARLY LIFE AND EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND

Atiku Abubakar GCON was born in Jada, Adamawa State, on 25 November 1946 to Garba Abubakar and Aisha Kande. His sister died early, leaving him as his parents’ lone child. Abubakar’s father drowned in a nearby hamlet while he was young.

His father rejected Western education and wanted him to attend traditional school. Abubakar’s father was jailed for a few days because of that, until Aisha Kande’s mother paid the fine. Abubakar started school in Adamawa at age 8.

After finishing primary school in 1960, he joined 59 other pupils in Adamawa Provincial Secondary School. He graduated from secondary school in 1965 after making 3 grades on the WASSCE.

Abubakar attended Nigeria Police College in Kaduna after secondary school. He left the College because he couldn’t submit an O-Level Mathematics result and worked as a Tax Officer in the Regional Ministry of Finance until enrolling at the Kano School of Hygiene in 1966. He graduated in 1967 as Interim Student Union President.

On a government grant, he studied law at Ahmadu Bello University Institute of Administration in 1967. He joined the Nigeria Customs Service in 1969, during the Nigerian Civil War.

Abubakar served in the Nigeria Customs Service for 20 years, rising to Deputy Director; he left in April 1989 and moved into business and politics full-time. As a Customs Officer, he got into real estate.

Abubakar has 28 children from four spouses. He secretly married Titilayo Albert, 19, in Idi-Iroko in December 1971. Fatima, Adamu, Halima, and Aminu are Titilayo’s children.

In 1979, he married Ladi Yakubu. Atiku, Abba, Zainab, Ummi-Hauwa, Maryam, and Rukaiyatu are Ladi’s children.

He married Princess Rukaiyatu, late Lamido of Adamawa’s daughter, in 1983. Aisha, Hadiza, Aliyu, Asmau, Mustafa, Laila, and Abdulsalam are Princess Rukaiyatu’s children.

Read More Here : https://financialquest.com.ng/biography-and-life-of-nigerian-businessman-and-politician-atiku-abubakar/

(1) (Reply)

No Way For PDP In Abia Anymore -customized / BREAKING: Nigeria's Senate President Names Principal Officers / State Of Niger-delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.