Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,181 members, 7,818,566 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? (11294 Views)

JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy / 5-year-old Australian Girl Grew Breasts At 2 And Started Her Period At 4 / Antibiotics Resistance, Typhoid And Malaria Diagnosis Debacle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Imithea(f): 11:50am On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Yes, you're right. We're too complex and I've read a brother's argument somewhere that if the sisters are granted period leave then they should also have leave for morning erection (Lol, ok the word here is censored,I didn't mean it to be attention though) . I don't how that will work undecided

LOL! grin grin
That's tricky because most times we're the ones tending to the 'morning hard on'. wink
Seriously, the menstrual leave issue is debacle, can't happen not in the west and certainly not in Africa.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Nobody: 11:51am On Aug 18, 2016
samhay:
They can stay home,but they will work on Saturdays and Sundays for 3weeks b4 the period arrive

My manager allows this ^^ and I specifically think it's because we are only four ladies in the entire division. He only allows it because of the cramps that come with mood swings and dragging of feet, which results to minimal production grin guilty as charged.

It's either you take unpaid leave or work back your missing days on your off days. One can't take more than two days though...

...and I like that no check song/advert, I always sing along

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by joseph1832(m): 11:51am On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:
Ok, let's see if you're a good teacher.

I suck at teaching adults, especially cute and gorgeous adult women.
wink grin
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by samhay: 12:00pm On Aug 18, 2016
jagugu88li:

My manager always this ^^ and I specifically think it's because we are only four ladies in the entire division. He only always it because of the cramps that come with mood swings and dragging of feet grin guilty as charged.

It's either you take unpaid leave or work back your missing days on your off days. One can't take more than two days though.

Dats it my sister.

Ladies want equality, I employ u,now aside from 4weekends in a month,u wanna add extra 2 and still gt paid. What happens to the person that cover for ur absence?
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 18, 2016
samhay:

Dats it my sister.

Ladies want equality, I employ u,now aside from 4weekends in a month,u wanna add extra 2 and still gt paid. What happens to the person that cover for ur absence?

Fortunately we work shifts and one of my colleagues, a guy, would do anything cheesy to avoid night shift. So I always swap with him instead of taking unpaid leave and luckily again, it's very rare that one works more than 6 hours a shift (only in our division mind you). So he also gets enough rest when working both shifts on that my annoying day.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 12:18pm On Aug 18, 2016
joseph1832:

wink grin
Hahahahahaha
I give up! cheesy
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by bibijay123(f): 12:21pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Honestly, the human body is something else.
You mean your first day is without any flow?

Twill be difficult to include you on this leave Bibi tongue
We'll design day 2 period leave plan for you.

Loool.....how do we fight for dis movement?
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 12:23pm On Aug 18, 2016
samhay:

Dats it my sister.

Don't see it that way Sam.
The person who covered up for me will be appreciated by me. That's how it should work but if this policy is approved then there's going to be no need for any covering up, it's not going to be secret anymore, it will be a right.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by joseph1832(m): 12:24pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Hahahahahaha
I give up! cheesy
smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by samhay: 12:26pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Don't see it that way Sam.
The person who covered up for me will be appreciated by me. That's how it should work but if this policy is approved then there's going to be no need for any covering up, it's not going to be secret anymore, it will be a right.

But come o,in the typical Afro settings, Period is something hidden,don't you think we r claiming civilization in this area by letting pple Knw?
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 12:37pm On Aug 18, 2016
Imithea:

LOL! grin grin
That's tricky because most times we're the ones tending to the 'morning hard on'. wink
Seriously, the menstrual leave issue is debacle, can't happen not in the west and certainly not in Africa.
Lol. I'm afraid I have no supporter in this cause cry cry cry
Here I am trying to break my back for my sisters and none is ready to push the wheelchair for me just in case I may need that help cry
I'll also say for now, it is a de- ba - ... grin
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 12:47pm On Aug 18, 2016
samhay:

But come o,in the typical Afro settings, Period is something hidden,don't you think we r claiming civilization in this area by letting pple Knw?
Exactly my point!
First, it's not a social taboo.
Second, Africa in this 21st century has evolved. Back in the days, the women didn't have to go to the office and spend eight good hours away from home and worrying themselves over stain and pain but today it's different.

I don't know how it was for my grandmother and great grandmother but something tells me they stayed indoors and I've also heard that in some places the woman is not allowed to cook for her husband. That is an extreme though cos she's seen as dirty but that's not what I want. I want us to take the good part, which is stay at home but leave the bad part that discriminates against women in their periods.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by karleone(m): 12:52pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

I'll also say for now, it is a de- ba - ... grin

I don't need you to complete the "de-ba-" grin. The presence of "a" makes the sentence complete.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 12:54pm On Aug 18, 2016
bibijay123:

Loool.....how do we fight for dis movement?
Lol. I don't know yet. Maybe first we need to have school teachers understand that if a girl misses class or tests or even exam because of cramps she shouldn't be punished. She has the right to take her test or exam whenever she's fit.

This should be the first step.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 12:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
karleone:

I don't need you to complete the "de-ba-" grin. The presence of "a" makes the sentence complete.
Lol. Hi Karl, where have you been? cheesy
OMG! You're smart!
How did you put me in that corner? grin
I take out the 'a' wink
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by karleone(m): 1:11pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Lol. Hi Karl, where have you been? cheesy
OMG! You're smart!
How did you put me in that corner? grin
I take out the 'a' wink

Hehehehehehehehehehe... I've been around, my dear. Psychological stress is not letting me. I try as much as possible to read up so I don't accumulate reads. I've been following your posts sha. Good topic you've got.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 1:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
karleone:

Hehehehehehehehehehe... I've been around, my dear. Psychological stress is not letting me. I try as much as possible to read up so I don't accumulate reads. I've been following your posts sha. Good topic you've got.
I can understand the stress. I'll catch up with you on that off here.
Thanks for the compliment.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by samhay: 1:19pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Exactly my point!
Second, Africa in this 21st century has evolved. Back in the days, the women didn't have to go to the office and spend eight good hours away from home and worrying themselves over stain and pain but today it's different.

I don't know how it was for my grandmother and great grandmother but something tells me they stayed indoors and I've also heard that in some places the woman is not allowed to cook for her husband. That is an extreme though cos she's seen as dirty but that's not what I want. I want us to take the good part, which is stay at home but leave the bad part that discriminates against women in their periods.

But I also heard sometimes ago that those women that work on palm nuts to extract palm oil,heard as soon as they enter that small pit to grind dose nuts,nothing can make dem come out except they are Tru....

Also heard of women giving birth in the farm and it doesn't affect them from going to farm, has anything changed between then and now?
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by samhay: 1:30pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Exactly my point!

@bolded, if our hardworking mothers can cultivate and do other strenuous activities when there was no technology, why should we declare 'stay at home' now?

21st century syndrome?

And I blv our mothers felt this pain and still go about their daily activities without anyone knowing, why is it different now?
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by karleone(m): 1:35pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:
I can understand the stress. I'll catch up with you on that off here. Thanks for the compliment.
Okay. You welcome.

1 Like

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by JoeCutie(m): 4:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
Time and again, you see women moaning, lamenting and complaining bitterly about how they are being marginalized in the politics and in the running of the government. They always advocate for more and stronger women representation. And in some countries, states, establishments, etc, there's been some improvements from what it used to be. A lot of women are getting massively involved these days.

Now, if you introduce this 'Period Policy', there's going to be a problem. A very big problem. Apart from the apparent fact that most ladies, especially from this part of the world, are going to take the situation for granted and misuse the 'privilege' - because we are Africans; Nigerians, who, when it comes to taking undue advantages, overdoing things, come tops - women are going to create a big problem for themselves. A problem that'd see them move rapidly back to where they are still trying so hard to crawl out from; the state of nonrepresentation and little or no involvement.

Feminism or not, there's been a very derogatory way in which Africans have since viewed and treated women. A lot of men - including myself - have advocated for a better treatment of women. Today, there's a massive change in status quo. Go to schools, you see female lecturers, registrars, Vice Chancellors, etc; go to the house of Assembly - both states and federal - you'll see a lot of female lawmakers, workers, etc; go to the banks, you'll see a lot of them; even in Federal and States governments, you'll see that they are well represented. Now, when you introduce this Policy, you're invariably calling for another war between the both sexes. Because men would begin to see it that the women are better treated than them. They could argue that, even though they do not face the monthly periods, they still face a lot of challenges as men. And it would not be a lie. This would bring unnecessary troubles. And do you know how it'd affect the women more? A lot of firms would start employing more of male workers so as not to lose a big part of their staff to 'Period Policy' every month. Which establishment would want almost half of her staff taking 4-5 days off every month? Does it even make sense? It'd peg women back to the era of nonrepresentation. People would gradually stop employing them. And it'd gradually go back to being a 'Man's World' again. And this, the women cannot afford. Not now that they are still trying to stand their ground. It'd be a fight, one which the women can never win...should it come to that.

Finally, let's assume that the men work for 25 days a month while the women work for 20 days, what happens to the salary scale? Would you expect the men to take the same amount as the women who work 5 days less than them? Who'd agree to that? The women? They'd never agree to that if it were them. So...what are we not saying here? Unless, of course, the women would accept to take pay cuts - which I'm sure they'd never agree to - then maybe this policy should not even be up for a debate. Until these things are resolved, I'd suggest we stick to the normal system, which has not killed us since.

We feel for the women, though. It's not easy having to go through that pain and discomfort every month, but it's time they started bracing up and earning things themselves and not always trying to gain one or two things...simply because they are women.

Thank you. smiley

Cc: Amicable09

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Babacele: 5:08pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Maternity leave a pleasure? No. I don't quite agree Joe. And seeing it as adding salt to an over salted soup is not supposed to be.

I'm actually looking at the health implication of this stress on the female gender. Is it not better to have a fit employee rather than have an employee who is irritated at work owing to some things beyond her control?

I think we need to look for a level playing field for this matter. Look at young girls in secondary schools getting stained and feeling depressed in school. Look at girls who suffer severe cramps during menstruation. Why insist they come to school just because of test? Why?
I shall advocate for paternity leave too to enable us help our spouses. abi wetin you think?
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Aug 18, 2016
JoeCutie:
Time and again, you see women moaning, lamenting and complaining bitterly about how they are being marginalized in the politics and in the running of the government. They always advocate for more and stronger women representation. And in some countries, states, establishments, etc, there's been some improvements from what it used to be. A lot of women are getting massively involved these days.

Now, if you introduce this 'Period Policy', there's going to be a problem. A very big problem. Apart from the apparent fact that most ladies, especially from this part of the world, are going to take the situation for granted and misuse the 'privilege' - because we are Africans; Nigerians, who, when it comes to taking undue advantages, overdoing things, come tops - women are going to create a big problem for themselves. A problem that'd see them move rapidly back to where they are still trying so hard to crawl out from; the state of nonrepresentation and little or no involvement.

Feminism or not, there's been a very derogatory way in which Africans have since viewed and treated women. A lot of men - including myself - have advocated for a better treatment of women. Today, there's a massive change in status quo. Go to schools, you see female lecturers, registrars, Vice Chancellors, etc; go to the house of Assembly - both states and federal - you'll see a lot of female lawmakers, workers, etc; go to the banks, you'll see a lot of them; even in Federal and States governments, you'll see that they are well represented. Now, when you introduce this Policy, you're invariably calling for another war between the both sexes. Because men would begin to see it that the women are better treated than them. They could argue that, even though they do not face the monthly periods, they still face a lot of challenges as men. And it would not be a lie. This would bring unnecessary troubles. And do you know how it'd affect the women more? A lot of firms would start employing more of male workers so as not to lose a big part of their staff to 'Period Policy' every month. Which establishment would want almost half of her staff taking 4-5 days off every month? Does it even make sense? It'd peg women back to the era of nonrepresentation. People would gradually stop employing them. And it'd gradually go back to being a 'Man's World' again. And this, the women cannot afford. Not now that they are still trying to stand their ground. It'd be a fight, one which the women can never win...should it come to that.

Finally, let's assume that the men work for 25 days a month while the women work for 20 days, what happens to the salary scale? Would you expect the men to take the same amount as the women who work 5 days less than them? Who'd agree to that? The women? They'd never agree to that if it were them. So...what are we not saying here? Unless, of course, the women would accept to take pay cuts - which I'm sure they'd never agree to - then maybe this policy should not even be up for a debate. Until these things are resolved, I'd suggest we stick to the normal system, which has not killed us since.

We feel for the women, though. It's not easy having to go through that pain and discomfort every month, but it's time they started bracing up and earning things themselves and not always trying to gain one or two things...simply because they are women.

Thank you. smiley

Cc: Amicable09

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 6:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
Babacele:
I shall advocate for paternity leave too to enable us help our spouses. abi wetin you think?
Lol. Men are welcome to help their spouses but you know granting a man paternity leave is somewhat complicated. undecided
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 7:14pm On Aug 18, 2016
samhay:

But I also heard sometimes ago that those women that work on palm nuts to extract palm oil,heard as soon as they enter that small pit to grind dose nuts,nothing can make dem come out except they are Tru....

Also heard of women giving birth in the farm and it doesn't affect them from going to farm, has anything changed between then and now?
Some things have truly.Things have changed. Businesswomen till today still go around their normal business until the time of birth.

This policy being introduced if it sees the light of the day is not for women to embark on a complete bed rest. Far from it! Women can still move around but not under pressure to deliver results or anything. They work from home at their own pace and stuff like that.
That's what I mean.
Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 7:17pm On Aug 18, 2016
samhay:

@bolded, if our hardworking mothers can cultivate and do other strenuous activities when there was no technology, why should we declare 'stay at home' now?

21st century syndrome?

And I blv our mothers felt this pain and still go about their daily activities without anyone knowing, why is it different now?
undecided undecided undecided
You won't want your sister complaining of excruciating pain and still carrying her bag to school because attendance will be taken in school and being absent will cost her a lot like not writing exams if she's failed to meet the 75% attendance demand, right?

That's the difference.

1 Like

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2016
Oh no! Joecutie, you have completely wiped out the little hope I'm nursing of having this thing work in Nigeria. I think our major problem will be having women overdo this thing and end up abusing the privilege if granted. Let's leave adult women for a sec and consider young girls in secondary school. Some now start from Primary school sef undecided, how about having them in the plan and leaving out adults? These younger ones need this protection I kind of imagine.

Nice contribution up there by the way. Thanks for contributing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by JoeCutie(m): 7:57pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:
Oh no! Joecutie, you have completely wiped out the little hope I'm nursing of having this thing work in Nigeria. I think our major problem will be having women overdo this thing and end up abusing the privilege if granted. Let's leave adult women for a sec and consider young girls in secondary school. Some now start from Primary school sef undecided, how about having them in the plan and leaving out adults? These younger ones need this protection I kind of imagine.

Nice contribution up there by the way. Thanks for contributing.
First off, thanks for thanking me. smiley

About the younger girls being given the privilege...
Well, it's not intrinsically bad, but it's still bad in a way. Okay, maybe I shouldn't say it's bad, but I don't think it's most ideal. Anything that isn't done in general always brings about division and unnecessary trouble. Have you seen the problem this issue of Muslim girls putting on hijab to school, is causing in this country? It's because it's been taken up by one set of people. Since it's not general, it's always going to bring tension.

Why not consider this other option...
Let teachers - female teachers - always take care of these girls, look after them in school whenever they are on. There should be a way they do it such that any girl that's on her period, tells her teacher on time so that she always gets ready to permit the said student and or assist her whenever there's need for her to use the toilet. In fact, I don't know, but they should explore other options that do not involve students skipping school. There's serious need for uniformity in schools. If they are given that privilege, they'll misuse it. Believe me. At the end, the students would still be the ones to suffer the consequences.

And what about those whose period come twice a month? I'm sure you know about that (rare) possibly. What do they do? You know, in life, we don't always get whatever we want. Girls that are old enough to experience monthly period should be sensitized on how to take good care of themselves. They should be equipped with whatever tools needed in seeing that they successfully do this.

Amicable, I hope you know that the women are unnecessarily asking for too much privileges these days?

5 Likes

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Adesiji77: 8:39pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Thanks Adesiji cheesy.

What's your take on this matter?
Do you subscribe to it here in Nigeria?

I fully subscribe to it cheesy

2 days in a month is not too much to sacrifice for the female folk. Like a poster observed, advances in technology have made it possible to work from outside the office location.

Many of us are "mobile offices"...There are days that even me that I am a man feel like working from home since I can access some office-related applications on my PC and mobile devices tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by Beamborla(f): 9:30pm On Aug 18, 2016
amicable09:

Bee, as funny as this may sound I believe it is possible and practicable in Nigeria cheesy. We are not asking for 5 full working days off but at least the first two days not forgetting it might start on Thursday or Friday on some months.

Look at it very well. I read today that an employer in UK is actually granting her female staff period leave and according to her they come back to work happy and give it their best.

It's sth Nigerians should begin to think of adopting.
It's likely not gon' happen in Nigeria/Africa just yet, sister.

Remember we are still trying to fight our way out of misogyny and suddenly out of the blues you want to be given the privilege to stay home cos you leaking blood.

All you'd need do is to sit back and watch women finding it difficult to secure employment.

We are not there yet, sister. Just not yet...

First we need win our present battle.

1 Like

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 9:35pm On Aug 18, 2016
JoeCutie:
First off, thanks for thanking me. smiley

About the younger girls being given the privilege...
Well, it's not intrinsically bad, but it's still bad in a way. Okay, maybe I shouldn't say it's bad, but I don't think it's most ideal. Anything that isn't done in general always brings about division and unnecessary trouble. Have you seen the problem this issue of Muslim girls putting on hijab to school, is causing in this country? It's because it's been taken up by one set of people. Since it's not general, it's always going to bring tension.

Why not consider this other option...
Let teachers - female teachers - always take care of these girls, look after them in school whenever they are on. There should be a way they do it such that any girl that's on her period, tells her teacher on time so that she always gets ready to permit the said student and or assist her whenever there's need for her to use the toilet. In fact, I don't know, but they should explore other options that do not involve students skipping school. There's serious need for uniformity in schools. If they are given that privilege, they'll misuse it. Believe me. At the end, the students would still be the ones to suffer the consequences.

And what about those whose period come twice a month? I'm sure you know about that (rare) possibly. What do they do? You know, in life, we don't always get whatever we want. Girls that are old enough to experience monthly period should be sensitized on how to take good care of themselves. They should be equipped with whatever tools needed in seeing that they successfully do this.

Amicable, I hope you know that the women are unnecessarily asking for too much privileges these days?
Lolz. Why did you end with this question Joe? grin. It's very funny. We aren't asking for too much privileges, I just don't know why men are not at the forefront making these demands for us.

This period thing actually worries me in a very different way that I can't explain very well. When I look at the trend now and how girls mature too fast I fear for the future of these little girls starting out too early.

I was in secondary school already and very knowledgeable about menstruation before I got my first visitor from Venus. I was well prepared. Always had done series of sensitization in my school and even gave every girl one free sanitary pad every time they came.

Today, children grow too quickly. Girls in primary school have puberty knocking. Little fat girls are not spared and before you know what, the little child whose butt you wiped is crying because of abdominal cramps and asking you for sanitary pad. It is just too much to bear.

Back in the olden days, ladies started seeing their period at the age of 15-16 but now a girl of 10 is caught in the web too too early.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Period Policy: Debatable Or A Debacle? by amicable09(f): 9:56pm On Aug 18, 2016
Adesiji77:

I fully subscribe to it cheesy

2 days in a month is not too much to sacrifice for the female folk. Like a poster observed, advances in technology have made it possible to work from outside the office location.

Many of us are "mobile offices"...There are days that even me that I am a man feel like working from home since I can access some office-related applications on my PC and mobile devices tongue
You have no idea as to how glad you have made me cheesy cheesy cheesy. Period policy can work in Nigeria and it isn't too much to ask for. The speed at which things are going now in the world, we need to see into the future and plan ahead.

I listened to one report on radio about the current age puberty sets in for girls who were born from the year 2000 to date. Research shows a connection between the food children are fed with and hormonal sth sth.

My friend told me about her grandmother who got married at the age of 13 when she hadn't had menarche (her first period).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Public Health Nigeria Condemns CACOVID's Attempt To Demonize BUA Over Vaccine / What's The Best Drug For Aborting A Less Than A Month Pregnancy / We Can Setup A Standard Medical Laboratory At Reduced Price

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.