Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,492 members, 7,836,920 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? (1056 Views)

"Africans In Diaspora Are Jealous Of Each Other" - U.S Lady Cries Out / Oyinbo Man Spotted Hawking Soft Drinks To Nigerians In UK Traffic / Dear Nigerians In Diaspora, Is This Wickedness Or Selfishness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Nobody: 10:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
I am currently reading a book titled FROM THIRD WORLD TO FIRST written by Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew.He graduated from a university in the UK, 'saved' Singapore from Malaysia and transformed the small nation to one the best in the world.

Looking at Nigeria's political terrain, these crop of politicians do not inspire hope and the youths are either busy defending these politicians or engaging in ethnic/religious bigotry, so they are out of the equation.

However, Nigerians in diaspora have been living in functional societies where there is security, good health care, constant power supply and citizens hold their leaders accountable etc.

I think that diasporians have big roles to play in fixing Nigeria.As a diasporan would you come back to contest for a political position? If no, why ?

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Lexusgs430: 12:37am On Aug 21, 2016
Insanity been played in the political, economic, health and other relevant sectors that plays a vital role to the commonman
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Ugosample(m): 11:21am On Aug 21, 2016
Principe:
I am currently reading a book titled FROM THIRD WORLD TO FIRST written by Singapore's founding father Lee Kuan Yew.He graduated from a university in the UK, 'saved' Singapore from Malaysia and transformed the small nation to one the best in the world.

Looking at Nigeria's political terrain, these crop of politicians do not inspire hope and the youths are either busy defending these politicians or engaging in ethnic/religious bigotry, so they are out of the equation.

However, Nigerians in diaspora have been living in functional societies where there is security, good health care, constant power supply and citizens hold their leaders accountable etc.

I think that diasporians have big roles to play in fixing Nigeria.As a diasporan would you come back to contest for a political position? If no, why ?

Let me remind you that many of those who ruined this country are ex diaspora Nigerians

Bankole, Saraki, Ngige and the list goes on

Even Okonjo Iweala that tried to bring sanity to the system, she is being vilified today..

Nigeria will change when WE are ready to change.

4 Likes

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by NaLaugh: 11:42am On Aug 21, 2016
Go to Nigeria to run for office?

Short answer: NO.

Long answer: Hell NO!

Longer answer: Only Nigerians in Nigeria can turn Nigeria around. Ethical decay has become part of the average Nigerian's DNA.
Average Nigerians complain about corrupt leaders, but display the same attributes in their daily lives.

Average citizens one day become corrupt leaders. The difference in status is time.

Until Nigerians realize that a "fantastically" corrupt society is only a product of individual corruption at the base level, nothing will change.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by lindaayim(f): 1:47pm On Aug 21, 2016
think of something else rather than hoping satan would repent
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Lexusgs430: 3:43pm On Aug 21, 2016
A true revolution seems our only solution. All known & unknown corrupt polithiefcians and God Father's wiped out.....

1 Like

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Nobody: 6:17pm On Aug 21, 2016
NaLaugh:
Go to Nigeria to run for office?
Short answer: NO.
Long answer: Hell NO!
Longer answer: Only Nigerians in Nigeria can turn Nigeria around. Ethical decay has become part of the average Nigerian's DNA.
Average Nigerians complain about corrupt leaders, but display the same attributes in their daily lives.
Average citizens one day become corrupt leaders. The difference in status is time.
Until Nigerians realize that a "fantastically" corrupt society is only a product of individual corruption at the base level, nothing will change.

I agree with most of your post, because a leader is as good/bad as the citizens.

However,i disagree with you that only Nigerians in Nigeria can turn Nigeria.We at home have been psychologically battered by our leaders with poverty,hunger,unemployment to the extend that we have developed Stockholm syndrome(because we can defend these leaders with our DNA.Hence Nigerians(those of us at home )may need to be saved from ourselves.

Secondly,citizens consciously or unconsciously look up to their leaders, If Nigeria can have group of leaders who are 'clean' and have the will to fight corruption,things may start to look up.What do you think?
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Aug 21, 2016
Lexusgs430:
A true revolution seems our only solution. All known & unknown corrupt polithiefcians and God Father's wiped out.....
Lexusgs430:
I agree with you,but what we need is bloodless revolution.The old politicians need to give way for the new people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 21, 2016
Ugosample:

Let me remind you that many of those who ruined this country are ex diaspora Nigerians
Bankole, Saraki, Ngige and the list goes on
Even Okonjo Iweala that tried to bring sanity to the system, she is being vilified today..
Nigeria will change when WE are ready to change.

Most of these people you mentioned are from the 'dynasty',I did not expect much from them and they did not prove me wrong.Apart from Okonjo(though this is debatable)

I am talking about the 'average' Nigerians in diaspora.
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by Lexusgs430: 6:47pm On Aug 21, 2016
Principe:

I agree with you,but what we need is bloodless revolution.The old politicians need to give way for the new people

You know that 'give way' would never happen. They only time they give way, is if they die naturally.
You think Bode George etc etc etc is/are ready to 'give way'?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by NaLaugh: 8:37pm On Aug 21, 2016
Principe:

I agree with most of your post, because a leader is as good/bad as the citizens.

However,i disagree with you that only Nigerians in Nigeria can turn Nigeria.We at home have been psychologically battered by our leaders with poverty,hunger,unemployment to the extend that we have developed Stockholm syndrome(because we can defend these leaders with our DNA.Hence Nigerians(those of us at home )may need to be saved from ourselves.

Secondly,citizens consciously or unconsciously look up to their leaders, If Nigeria can have group of leaders who are 'clean' and have the will to fight corruption,things may start to look up.What do you think?

Only you can save you from yourself. No matter what a third party does by way of intervention will fall flat, if YOU are not willing to change.
It's like being an alcoholic or a crack head. Rehab is a waste of time and resources if the addict lacks a personal will to kick the addiction.

So, I reiterate, only Nigerians in Nigeria can save themselves from themselves. Anything other than that is a delusional wait for an elusive messiah.

Yes, the political Stockholm syndrome in Nigeria is baffling. However, as I alluded to, it's a vicious cycle.
Corrupt average Nigerians one day become corrupt leaders - it's just a matter of time.

The only way to break this cycle is if the average Nigerian quits being a shyster. This way, when he becomes a leader, his positive values prevail.

As far as I know, the current Nigerian president (at least in the public eye) is attempting an aggressive anti-corruption stance.
Somehow I thought Nigerians who perpetually complain about corruption would see it as an opportunity to finally defeat it.

Oddly, that's not the case. Weird huh?
Re: Are Nigerians In Diaspora Nigeria's Last Hope? by ATERI(m): 4:38pm On Aug 22, 2016
What is funny about the book you are reading is the part where their Founding Father went to Nigeria looking for help. Anyway, back to your question:
You are really on point when you said that you are expecting ordinary Nigerians abroad to be the ones that would come back home and do something. Well, that is always going to be the case, it`s the time that no-one can determine. Abroad has enough variables to change anyone for either good or bad. So you are very right to expect. What you need to know is that, leadership is not for everybody, the best leaders are born to be leaders and the way their lives pan out would push them in the direction of leadership. A leader knows what is wrong with a society, knows what to do to correct whatever is wrong. Trust me, the most important characteristic of a leader is the personal nature that he/she has that would make his application successful. This last characteristic is what failed Babangida. He has the brain to know what was wrong with Nigeria. He has the ability to correct it, but his nature is that of a criminal or gangster. No matter how long it takes, that nature would disqualify him and makes it impossible to achieve his goals for the country. You can`t tackle corruption when you are the most corrupt. You can`t save for the future when you are materialistic and greedy and you can`t build a nation of law and order if you are a natural law-breaker. So the personal qualities you have determine what you are able to achieve in the final analysis
You yourself know that it can never be the case that everybody abroad would be so clueless, so selfish and so indifferent about Nigeria to the extent of forgetting her and the people for-ever- doesn`t work like that.
One thing we should all understand is that there is nothing we are reading that would be applicable to Nigeria, but it can help. Singapore is a city state of just over 5 million people when it was founded. Every expert in the West called him a criminal dictator. Most importantly, Singapore had no oil that would have made the West wanted to topple him. So not in any way close to Nigeria apart from the fact that most of the leaders had been to London to study. Fingers crossed, we would have our own leaders sooner or later. Nice that your head is in the right place. Kudos!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Boli And Fish: Why Tourists Never Forget Port Harcourt / TRAVEL/CULTURE : 30 Amazing Facts About The Great Benin Kingdom / I Want To Register For My National ID Online But I Keep Getting This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.