Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You (20256 Views)

Ways Your Smartphone Is Violating Your Privacy / For The Selfie Lovers / 6 Ways Your Password Can Be Cracked By Hackers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by duketunde: 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2016
'Selfie Lovers' beware, You may be inviting pains while taking selfies, according to this new report, repeated selfie taking may lead to an orthopaedic problem termed as selfie elbow. This was first reported when a TV journalist in the US developed a nagging pain on her elbow. On visiting the doctor, she found out that the pain was actually caused by her love for taking selfies. The constant movement and positioning of her elbows in weird ways, while taking selfies, led to the pain, which was caused due to overuse of her muscles and nerves.

Technology is undoubtedly helping us in our daily lives, but, we have reached a point where we tend to use gadgets extensively, and in ways, that may be detrimental to our health. Lets take a look at how excessive usage of technology and gadgets can actually harm us:

Radiation from gadgets: Almost all gadgets – cell phones, iPods and iPads, laptops, microwave ovens, etc, emit radiation. While studies have not proven any direct link between cancer and radiation from gadgets, some research has shown that constant exposure to radiation, over a period of time, may affect human cells, that might possibly help tumours grow. While there are alternating theories to this, some studies have also shown that cell phones could possibly reduce sperm count, particularly for those who keep their phones in their pockets for a long time.

Insomnia: The constant exposure to the light emitted from gadgets such as mobile phones, laptops, iPads, and others, can interfere with our body’s natural ability to process daylight, and understand when it is time to sleep. The light suppresses the release of melatonin, which is the hormone responsible for sleep, hence affecting our circadian rhythm. This is the same with playing video games, or even watching TV before going to sleep.

Increases risk of infections: We constantly keep touching our mobile phones, and, as we go about our daily business, end up transferring disease-prone germs like E-Coli on to it. When cell phones change hands, so do the bacteria. A study conducted by London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine and Queen Mary, University of London, found that out of 390 cell phones and hands that were sampled to measure levels of bacteria, 92 percent of the cell phones, and 82 percent of the hands had bacteria on them.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: The repetitive motion which is involved while typing or texting on a cell phone, or laptop, can lead to Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Also known as video thumb or swipers thumb, this is characterised by soreness or cramping in the fingers, wrist and forearm, which is often caused by the overuse while typing. This happens when a specific nerve that is located in a tunnel in the wrist gets squeezed by tunnels around it, which get inflamed. This results in pain in the hand and wrist, which can progress to the arm and neck, if not treated. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is common in people who constantly use their fine motor skills.

Obesity: More and more children, right from a very young age, are getting addicted to gadgets, and often, prefer playing video games or browsing the internet, to going out and playing. The same is happening to adults as well. This sedentary lifestyle, coupled with unhealthy eating, can lead to obesity in the long run, which in turns causes a range of illnesses - from diabetes and high blood pressure, to cardiovascular diseases and even cancer.

Stress: Its not just physical strain that can result from too much time spent with technology - a Swedish research team from the University of Gothenburg has found that people using Facebook constantly, and for long hours daily, are at a higher risk of developing stress, depression and mental illnesses. Social comparison, where the kind of photographs and posts of vacations, children or professional and personal achievements that friends put up, cause jealousy, the constant need to compare one’s social life with others, the need for likes and comments on posts and photos, cause stress and, sometimes, may lead to depression. Too much time spent online also leads to neglecting other duties, which again, can cause stress.

Hearing damage: We tend to take our music with us wherever we go, and this constant exposure to loud noise using headphones, can raise the risk of ear damage and subsequent hearing loss. While our ears can take high decibles for a short period, prolonged exposure to loud noise, is harmful. And earphones take the noise directly into the ear, hence causing damage to the ear drums.

Read more at http://www.duketundesblog.com/2016/08/eight-ways-your-gadgets-may-be-harming.html#xe5yC27evyWChcKk.99

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Nobody: 10:58pm On Aug 20, 2016
Lawd help me sad sad sad

My phone and i are 56 , even the 'and' is a distance sad sad

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Tellemall: 11:39pm On Aug 20, 2016
You forgot to mention the moment the perfect selfies get a person perking up on the rail tracks when a train is coming to help them hit those selfies to the greatest likes on Instagram as an added bonus.

1 Like

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Bonapart(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2016
Trash again as usual....
White people has finally succeed in spoiling the world with English

2 Likes

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Innodon(m): 6:56am On Aug 21, 2016
Ok
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by gradeA(m): 6:57am On Aug 21, 2016
k
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by ShoBabba(m): 6:58am On Aug 21, 2016
Tell them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Lilimax(f): 6:58am On Aug 21, 2016
Summary: Every thing with advantage had some.disadvantages. Oya wake up and go to CHURCH! embarassed

1 Like

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by LilSmith55(m): 6:58am On Aug 21, 2016
Wetin U Con Dey Tell Us, Make We No Take Selfie Again, If Dis One Is Tru, Then My Roomate Go Don Turn To Cripple By Now, But Last Time I Check, He Still Dey Okay .,... Oyinbo And Their Stupid Discovery Everytime

3 Likes

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by tahir01(m): 6:59am On Aug 21, 2016
Me don't take selfie.
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Nobody: 6:59am On Aug 21, 2016
Nice Write up.

I don't need all these points to know I'm too addicted to my phone.
I've started withdrawing myself for it already since last year.

Thanks OP
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by ladyF(f): 7:00am On Aug 21, 2016
Hmmm... I see where all this fat us coming from. 140kg and counting. angry Brb, let me hit the gym.

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Helkayklassic(m): 7:00am On Aug 21, 2016
I can testify to the second point (Insomnia).
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by CertifiedSamuel: 7:00am On Aug 21, 2016
Na WA o. Nigerians and these kind beliefs.

Who else only read the bold words and choose not the read the rest after finding out it wasn't making sense??

2 Likes

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by topmarks: 7:01am On Aug 21, 2016
Sunday morning FP market sweet
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Adesiji77: 7:01am On Aug 21, 2016
Diddyydiva:
Lawd help me sad sad sad

cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by cyberdurable(m): 7:01am On Aug 21, 2016
meanwhile me and my Guys grin

4 Likes

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by sommy03(m): 7:03am On Aug 21, 2016
I'll comment after cooking...
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by LordEmperoris1(m): 7:03am On Aug 21, 2016
I Will comment later
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 21, 2016
Very senseless post. Is it by force to be a writer?

1 Like

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Smartixy(m): 7:04am On Aug 21, 2016
Ok
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by fxbomovi: 7:05am On Aug 21, 2016
lies
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by drake2(m): 7:06am On Aug 21, 2016
Duke tunde: lol @d first paragraph. "Selfie elbow" syndrome.
U guys are just lovely!

1 Like

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Nobody: 7:11am On Aug 21, 2016
You should also add impaired vision. Over exposure to the phone radiations could worsen your vision overtime.
Also on the carpal tunnel, too much of thumbing could lead to what we call " play station hydradentitis".
In short too much of everything isn't good

1 Like

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by LoveJesus87(m): 7:12am On Aug 21, 2016
Diddyydiva:
Lawd help me sad sad sad

welcome. Kontinu wink
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by cutesimplycalm(f): 7:14am On Aug 21, 2016
[/quote][quote]
[quote author=CertifiedSamuel post=48666195]Na WA o. Nigerians and these kind beliefs.

Who else only read the bold words and choose not the read the rest after finding out it wasn't making sense?? [/i actually did grin grin]
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by MrBONE2(m): 7:16am On Aug 21, 2016
grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by HtwoOw: 7:17am On Aug 21, 2016
Everything new has its problem

I bet scientists are working on it
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Younggeek03(m): 7:17am On Aug 21, 2016
well i see no changes...all i see is more of selfies.."selfie elbow syndrome" indeed!.
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Nobody: 7:17am On Aug 21, 2016
LoveJesus87:
welcome. Kontinu wink
Adesiji77:

cheesy
LoveJesus87:
welcome. Kontinu wink
Morning smiley

Hope you are preparing for church.

bye
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by cutesimplycalm(f): 7:18am On Aug 21, 2016
[/quote]CertifiedSamuel post=48666195]Na WA o. Nigerians and these kind beliefs.

Who else only read the bold words and choose not the read the rest after finding out it wasn't making sense??
Re: Selfie Lovers Beware: Eight Ways Your Gadgets May Be Harming You by Jakasibo(m): 7:19am On Aug 21, 2016
nawao it even causes low sperm count. wetin consign scrotum and gadget?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Exciting: Blackberry 10 Aristo Specifications / NATCOM Injects $1bn In NITEL, Begins Operations In March / Samsung Will Earn More On The Iphone X Than On The Galaxy S8

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.