Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,097 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:25 AM

Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? (6091 Views)

Rev. Graham: ‘no Muslims Should Be Allowed Into United State Of America / Benue Militant Who Submitted 84 Guns To The State Govt / Military Captures Armoured Vehicles, Artillery Guns Overnight (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by DatNiggaAk(m): 4:18pm On Sep 29, 2009
i'm of the opinion that they should start allowing we citizens to carry licensed firearms.
with the rising spate of kidnappings and armed robberies in the country and with the cops nowhere in sight.
we should be allowed to defend our selves.
the only thing that makes a robber or assassin boldly walk into a citizens house is because he knows you are not
f@%$#g armed. if he knows you have a pump action or 12 gauge shotgun in the house, punk would think twice b4 stepping up to you.
our law makers should pass it into law. a friend in kubwa (Abuja) had to run out of his home after robbers robbed him the fifth time. the last time they came, he called a police patrol and they cut the line on him severally when he was trying to describe his location.
please anybody who knows how i can get a licensed firearm should tell me. i'm a responsible citizen and i wont allow myself to be terrorized by a nincompoop just because he carries a gun and i don't. WORD!!

1 Like

Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by MrCrackles(m): 4:22pm On Sep 29, 2009
Ok Nigga AK undecided
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 4:27pm On Sep 29, 2009
DatNiggaAk:

i'm of the opinion that they should start allowing we citizens to carry licensed firearms.
with the rising spate of kidnappings and armed robberies in the country and with the cops nowhere in sight.
we should be allowed to defend our selves.
the only thing that makes a robber or assassin boldly walk into a citizens house is because he knows you are not
f@%$#g armed. if he knows you have a pump action or 12 gauge shotgun in the house, punk would think twice b4 stepping up to you.
our law makers should pass it into law. a friend in kubwa (Abuja) had to run out of his home after robbers robbed him the fifth time. the last time they came, he called a police patrol and they cut the line on him severally when he was trying to describe his location.
please anybody who knows how i can get a licensed firearm should tell me. i'm a responsible citizen and i wont allow myself to be terrorized by a nincompoop just because he carries a gun and i don't. WORD!!

I agree with you completely.

If the relevant authorities cannot keep prevent armed robbers from having guns then they should allow Nigerians to have access to them as that will put a stop to a 4 - 10 man gang robbing luxurious buses on the expressways or house to house on a complete street with impunity.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by bibiking1(m): 4:31pm On Sep 29, 2009
do we have to go through all this again
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 4:44pm On Sep 29, 2009
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 5:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
The Nigerian police has for decades issued firearm permits for single-shot or double barrelled shotguns, and for bolt-action hunting rifles.  For muzzle loading, single-shot dane guns, no police permit is required, though such contraptions do have a nasty habit of exploding in the shooter's face.

Permits for pump-action shotguns are selectively granted to Nigerian civilians wiling to pay the extra fees associated with their greater firepower.  The categories of firearm that are entirely prohibited for civilian use in Nigeria are concealable pistols of all descriptions, as well as all firearms chambered for the military 7.62x39mm or .223 caliber( 5.56mm NATO) steel-jacket infantry rounds.

For armed robbers and kidnappers, however, all manner of killing equipment is perfectly legal and "freely used" against sitting-duck victims, most of whom have no gun with which to deliver return fire. .
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Seun(m): 5:35pm On Sep 29, 2009
There's no way widespread private gun ownership won't lead to more murders.
Imagine the damage a hot-headed okada rider who happens to own a gun can do.
Imagine a crowd of religious extremists brandishing machine-guns instead of cutlasses.
Imagine a country where disputes are settled with gunshots instead of exchanging blows.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by back2back(f): 5:41pm On Sep 29, 2009
The okada driver will think twice because he knows the passenger and people on the street also have GUNS.

It would be a balance of terror.

It same reason US would never attack Russia or any nation with 'Nuclear Weapon'

They know the damage the other side would do.

Yes to everyone having guns, killing rate will go up and later stablise!
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 5:43pm On Sep 29, 2009
Seun:

There's no way widespread private gun ownership won't lead to more murders.
Imagine the damage a hot-headed okada rider who happens to own a gun can do.
Imagine a crowd of religious extremists brandishing machine-guns instead of cutlasses.
Imagine a country where disputes are settled with gunshots instead of exchanging blows.

Oga Seun, guns are already in widespread circulation thoughout Nigeria,  both under legal and extralegal ownership, but the penalty for capital murder in Nigeria is death by the hangman's noose, and that  fact alone is enough to make most LEGAL gun owers keep their anger in check, and only resort to deadly force if they are under attack and with no option to flee.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Beaf: 5:47pm On Sep 29, 2009
These are the types I want.

[img]http://world.guns.ru/assault/ads_1.jpg[/img]

It is everyones interest to arm up. 2011 no go be joke o!
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by jaybee3(m): 5:52pm On Sep 29, 2009
A country where tribe/religion superiority is always on the agenda, where the rich/people in power gets away with whatsoever they wish/want
relaxation of gun laws will further cause more anarchy
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Afam(m): 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2009
If the government cannot prevent armed robbers, assassins and political thugs from having guns then it should allow innocent Nigerians to own guns so as to protect themselves since the police cannot even protect them.

How many defenseless Nigerians will have to die for some of us to begin to look at this issue with all the seriousness that it deserves?

May be until we lose relatives and close friends before we begin to sing new songs as is normal with Nigerians where apathy to an issue turns into empathy or sympathy kpakpa when the issue gets close to them.

There is punishment for murder and no sane person will harass anyone with gun when you know that the person you are harassing may even kill you in self defense or that onlookers may even kill you the moment you shoot a defenseless person.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by otele(m): 6:45pm On Sep 29, 2009
mad people want to own guns grin

the rate of murder will increase 90% for at least 20yrs, then it wil start to fall and fall, and fall to about 2% by then about 200,000murders have been committed grin
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Beaf: 6:49pm On Sep 29, 2009
^
Yes ke! bad people go don finish.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by strangleyo: 6:52pm On Sep 29, 2009
Yes.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 7:05pm On Sep 29, 2009
Absolutely Not!!

The Police and the government need to do more to protect the law abiding citizens of Nigeria. After this is done, then we can talk about citizen’s right to bear arms.
Nigeria is in chaos right now, NPF is marred with miscreants, the president is weak, the judiciary system is as corrupt as the politicians - citizens carrying guns will only exacerbate the situation. We can not like animals in the jungle, advocate survival of the fittest.

Can you imagine a doctor, lawyer, engineer, CEO, or a law abiding citizen, getting into gun battle with a hardened criminal? And, don’t even think of getting a bodyguard – why will he want to protect your behind when he can rob you (worse yet, kill you) with impunity; and take your money – and become a warlord.

Maybe we should revisit the woes of other failed states in Africa and the middle east.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Beaf: 7:12pm On Sep 29, 2009
$poOne:

Absolutely Not!!

The Police and the government need to do more to protect the law abiding citizens of Nigeria. After this is done, then we can talk about citizen’s right to bear arms.
Nigeria is in chaos right now, NPF is marred with miscreants, the president is weak, the judiciary system is as corrupt as the politicians - citizens carrying guns will only exacerbate the situation. We can not like animals in the jungle, advocate survival of the fittest.

Can you imagine a doctor, lawyer, engineer, CEO, or a law abiding citizen, getting into gun battle with a hardened criminal? And, don’t even think of getting a bodyguard – why will he want to protect your behind when he can rob you (worse yet, kill you) with impunity; and take your money – and become a warlord.

Maybe we should revisit the woes of other failed states in Africa and the middle east.

There are a lot of contradictions in what you've said. How can corrupt govt and police protect anybody? Maybe one day, but nobody has that time, we have waited too long.

We just need to vomit the system out of our guts. They say, God helps those who help themselves. Yeah, self help is the in thing.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:22pm On Sep 29, 2009
Nope.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 7:28pm On Sep 29, 2009
Beaf:

There are a lot of contradictions in what you've said. How can corrupt govt and police protect anybody? Maybe one day, but nobody has that time, we have waited too long.

We just need to vomit the system out of our guts. They say, God helps those who help themselves. Yeah, self help is the in thing.

There are no contradictions here at all – Nigeria is a work in progress. That is, there are more people who think Nigeria can get better. Just 10 years ago, you can get killed if you say anything bad about the government – so things are changing albeit slow – progress nonetheless.

If on the other hand majority of the populace living in Nigeria feels Nigeria is now a failed state, then you wouldn’t need any permission to get your own side arm – there will be no law – just survival of the fittest. In which case Armageddon in Nigeria is closer than we think.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by CrudeOil2(m): 7:30pm On Sep 29, 2009
You cant solve a problem by creating another problem.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 7:37pm On Sep 29, 2009
The genie is already out of the bottle regarding gun ownership in Nigeria.  Commencing during the lead-up to Nigeria's most recent federal and state elections, contesting politicians imported shipping container-loads of AK47 rifles and distributed them to jobless young men for the purpose of intimidating opposition voters at the polls.  

Those light machine guns have since then become the ubiquitous weapon of choice for blood-thirsty home invasion gangs and highway bandits.  In parts of Nigeria today, forested areas alongside main highways reek with the smell of the dead, who were herded there and killed by swarms of robbers that also stash their guns in the same bush.

Any relaxation of Nigerian gun laws that enhances the firepower of LAW ABIDING civilians would serve to balance the equation of terror, so as to give pause for thought to outlaws planning mayhem, instilling in their thick skulls a measure of reluctance to die from retaliatory fusillades laid down by a once helpless populace.

If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 7:48pm On Sep 29, 2009
Jakumo:

The genie is already out of the bottle regarding gun ownership in Nigeria. Commencing during the lead-up to Nigeria's most recent federal and state elections, contesting politicians imported shipping container-loads of AK47 rifles and distributed them to jobless young men for the purpose of intimidating opposition voters at the polls.

Those light machine guns have since then become the ubiquitous weapon of choice for blood-thirsty home invasion gangs and highway bandits. In parts of Nigeria today, forested areas alongside main highways reek with the smell of the dead, who were herded there and killed by swarms of robbers that also stash their guns in the same bush.

Any relaxation of Nigerian gun laws that enhances the firepower of LAW ABIDING civilians would serve to balance the equation of terror, so as to give pause for thought to outlaws planning mayhem, instilling in their thick skulls a measure of reluctance to die from retaliatory fusillades laid down by a once helpless populace.

If guns are outlawed, then only outlaws will have guns.

If you feel that strongly about it, then get your gun and kill anybody that threatens your life. I can assure you it is not easy for a law abiding citizen to take a life.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 7:54pm On Sep 29, 2009
Well actually I have no desire to kill, but would do so in a hearbeat if my home were invaded by murderers and I was within reach of my hardware.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 7:56pm On Sep 29, 2009
I hope I am not being misunderstood here - I am not against gun ownership, but gun ownership without law and order equates to total anarchy.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 8:02pm On Sep 29, 2009
Jakumo:

Well actually I have no desire to kill, but would do so in a hearbeat if my home were invaded by murderers and I was within reach of my hardware.

If everyone is allowed to own a side arm, your home won't be the battle ground, it will be on your way to work, to school, to the airport, etc.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by Jakumo(m): 8:05pm On Sep 29, 2009
$poOne:

I hope I am not being misunderstood here - I am not against gun ownership, but gun ownership without law and order equates to total anarchy.

I hear you, Spot, but may I remind you that Nigerian law does prescribe a gallows death penalty for premeditated capital murder, and any registered gun owner who forgets that fact does so at their peril.

Given a choice, however, between imminent death at the hands of invading robbers, or a possible death penalty for opening fire in ambiguous circumstances, most gun owners under siege would instinctively shoot first, hire a lawyer later and let God sort out the morality considerations after the smoke clears.

If everyone is allowed to own a side arm, your home won't be the battle ground, it will be on your way to work, to school, to the airport, etc.

Every adult man and woman in Switzerland who has completed their compulsory military service is entitled to keep their assault rifle at home and to use it for self-defence if needed.  Despite the prevalence of such serious firepower in the hands of civilians, Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in all of Europe, simply because everone there talks softly but carries a very big stick .
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 8:16pm On Sep 29, 2009
Jakumo:

I hear you, Spot, but may I remind you that Nigerian law does prescribe a gallows death penalty for premeditated capital murder, and any registered gun owner who forgets that fact does so at their peril.

Given a choice, however, between imminent death at the hands of invading robbers, or a possible death penalty for opening fire in ambiguous circumstances, most gun owners under siege would instinctively shoot first, hire a lawyer later and let God sort out the morality considerations after the smoke clears.
Every adult man and woman in Switzerland who has completed their compulsory military service is entitled to keep their assault rifle at home and to use it for self-defence if needed. Despite the prevalence of such serious firepower in the hands of civilians, Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in all of Europe, simply because everone there talks softly but carries a very big stick .

But the other side of the coin is that the armed criminal knows you are packing, so he ambushes you and shoots first. Don’t forget you are a law-abiding citizen, with a job and family to worry about.

Bra, we can do this all day long – gun ownership works in the US because a law-abiding citizen has backup – the police. In a chaotic Nigeria, you have no backup.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 8:26pm On Sep 29, 2009
We are far from being a Switzerland - I am sure before it bacame a developed country with strong law and order, their citizens were not allowed to own guns. My take is, law and order, socio/economic advancement, first, then gun law debate.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by mccloud224(m): 8:33pm On Sep 29, 2009
@$poOne

I'm speechless.Why?

I want a firearm but again, to get gun na one thing, to use blast person na another.And trust our NPF, even if you shoot a robber with a licensed firearm, they will turn the tables on you.Next thing, you are facing charges for murder,man slaughter,arm robbering,aggravated assault,public negligence and refusal to pay "fine" grin grin
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by spoOne: 9:20pm On Sep 29, 2009
mccloud224:

@$poOne

I'm speechless.Why?

I want a firearm but again, to get gun na one thing, to use blast person na another.And trust our NPF, even if you shoot a robber with a licensed firearm, they will turn the tables on you.Next thing, you are facing charges for murder,man slaughter,arm robbering,aggravated assault,public negligence and refusal to pay "fine" grin grin

You got it Bra, I'll rather pay the bribe, negotiate the ransom - afterall the same police rob us all the time on the highway for N100. If you kill one of them (or one of their boys), while robbing you at your home, they'll concoct some story why they had to take you out. I'll rather they kill each other while they're trying to split the money they stole from me. I can always make more money with my education and good job.
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by otele(m): 9:27pm On Sep 29, 2009
simple thing, re-arrange the police to make it more effective. admit educated people into the police. put money and prestige into the force. arrange daily patrols. everyday, policemen in every street. even part time community policing(like in the UK) this crime will slow down a bit.
add armed security to every bus transportation, even street cameras. this thing will slow down. but arm nigerians, a people who cant organise an election without killing each other, a loud and violent people, always fighting each other. hmmm, e get as e be o.

we need full education of our people b4 we arm them
Re: Should Private Guns Be Allowed In Nigeria? by 2Legit2Qui: 9:32pm On Sep 29, 2009
You never allow guns, Naija people don kolo finish- when you come allow guns, wetin u think say go happen?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Too Late For Nigeria? / Just In: Biafra Newspaper Hits Anambra - Pics / [LIST] Names Of Senators Who Did Not Pass A Vote Of Confidence On Saraki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.