Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,860 members, 7,956,241 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:22 AM

Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils (7219 Views)

Police Apprehends Supposed Church Rapists Who Rapes During Night Vigils / Why Are Africans Still In Bondage Today? / How Many Night Vigils Does Nigeria Need To Be Great? 10? 1000? 100000? 1m? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Deicide: 11:17pm On Aug 23, 2016
JackBizzle:

A christian in Denmark?? He must be the awkward one in his office grin grin grin

sooo many non-believers in Denmark

grin and norway to O
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:34am On Aug 24, 2016
Reyginus:
With mods banning me for 'misrepresenting the reason' for which I was previously banned I don't see how I'd respect them.

I've been banned for the craziest reasons and for very unreasonably long time but I still respect them .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 12:38am On Aug 24, 2016
JackBizzle:

A christian in Denmark?? He must be the awkward one in his office grin grin grin

sooo many non-believers in Denmark

The number of Christians in atheist North Korea are half of the population of Denmark . There are so many unbelievers in Denmark and they constitute 20 percent of the population wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by GeneralShepherd(m): 2:32am On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

They still live better lives than you

North Korea has been with atheism since 1948 yet their economy is moribund , the citizens are being brainwashed , the people live in insularity , their leaders are venal and the crime rate is unreasonably high . People get capriciously executed and religious ones are being used to test new military equipment .

Christian countries - Norway , Switzerland , Denmark - are the wealthiest and most progressive in the world . Russia left atheism and started flourishing . Christians own 55 percent of the global wealth while the rest of the adherents of numerous religions including the atheists , irreligious and the agnostics are left with 45 percent

You atheists excoriate Islamic countries for being backward while atheist countries do worse just to constrain their citizens to adhere to atheistic ideologies . Atheism is backwardness , atheism is mental slavery !

Say no to atheism !

Still peddling the fallacy that Norway is a Christian country? North Korea is where it is because of communism which has proven to be a catastrophic failure economically, socially and otherwise. By the way North Korea is by miles more advanced than Nigeria, so stop peddling Western narratives you get from CNN use other news sources like CCTV or RT.

Let's not derail the thread, what is the purpose of night vigils because as people in Nigeria pray at night, we in Australia go about our daily business cos of time difference.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:08am On Aug 24, 2016
GeneralShepherd:

Still peddling the fallacy that Norway is a Christian country?

Dude , Norway has been and will always be a Christian country . Like I said earlier , just last week , the state church provided an opportunity for members to leave the church - 15,000 left while 3.8 million opted to remain members of the Church . Let me also apprise you that only 13 percent of Norway's population are officially unaffiliated .The country has also been with Christianity for over 1000 years now .

Whatever you know outside this isn't veridical - spurious .

North Korea is where it is because of communism which has proven to be a catastrophic failure economically, socially and otherwise. By the way North Korea is by miles more advanced than Nigeria, so stop peddling Western narratives you get from CNN use other news sources like CCTV or RT.

Lol . North Korea channels its resources and wealth to developing its military in a bid to make Kim's chimerical fantasies of being a world leader come true and fulfilling his plans to subjugate mankind . Apart from that , it is undeveloped and never had a halcyon period of economic growth or progress.

Do you know that communism is like a religion whereby the government is worshiped as god since it controls the wealth of the nation and is intolerant of beliefs other than atheism .

Communism is a dark religion , an atheistic doctrine , and the government is the flagitious god shocked shocked

I just had an epiphany grin

Let's not derail the thread, what is the purpose of night vigils because as people in Nigeria pray at night, we in Australia go about our daily business cos of time difference.

The pith of night vigils remains of spiritual significance .

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 3:14am On Aug 24, 2016
@ TheGeneralShepherd We can discuss communism like real men here

https://www.nairaland.com/3286519/communist-leaders-killed-millions-because

We've had disquisitions on this before and you are still intransigent grin
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JackBizzle: 4:57am On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

The number of Christians in atheist North Korea are half of the population of Denmark . There are so many unbelievers in Denmark and they constitute 20 percent of the population wink

You can lie. You always lie. Denmark is one of the most irreligious countries in the world. 52% of the population is non-religious.

As for north korea, I'd posit that it is a communist country and communism is a state religion. If you notice, it is the only country yu use to attack atheists and has become a pitiful strawman.

Your 15 minutes of fame are up.

Gallup claims that 52 percent of the Danish population associates as either atheist or non-religious – but this figure is significantly lower than previous surveys that directly asked people whether they were religious.
A survey in 2008, also by Gallup, revealed Denmark to be in the top three least religious countries in the world, with a mere 18 percent considering religion an important part of their daily life.
http://cphpost.dk/general/denmark-still-predominantly-non-religious-says-expert.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JackBizzle: 6:04am On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

North Korea has been with atheism since 1948[/u] yet their economy is moribund , the citizens are being brainwashed , the people live in insularity , their leaders are venal and the crime rate is unreasonably high . People get capriciously executed and religious ones are being used to test new military equipment .

Christian countries - Norway , Switzerland , Denmark - are the wealthiest and most progressive in the world . Russia left atheism and started flourishing . Christians own 55 percent of the global wealth while the rest of the adherents of numerous religions including the atheists , irreligious and the agnostics are left with 45 percent

You atheists excoriate Islamic countries for being backward while atheist countries do worse just to constrain their citizens to adhere to atheistic ideologies . Atheism is backwardness , atheism is mental slavery !

Say no to atheism !

Instead of addressing the topic about unnecessary night vigils, you pivot to lying against atheism.

Let us address your lies one by one

1) Norway, Denmark and Switzerland are christian countries
False! They are actually some of the most irreligious countries in the world. All secular and far less religious than Nigeria.

2) Russia is flourishing?
False! By European standards, it is a corrupt and uneven country that can't even get into the EU if it wanted to.

3) North Korea is somehow irreligious.
North korea is an atheistic country but with a twist. North Korea has a state religion of communism. Communism is a state religio where the government elevated to a god like status.

To catch Ebuka, just notice that out of all the countries that are atheistic, he will only bring communist ones to criticize atheis,/ Pitiful

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by MutantMetahuman: 6:48am On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

North Korea has been with atheism since 1948 yet their economy is moribund , the citizens are being brainwashed , the people live in insularity , their leaders are venal and the crime rate is unreasonably high . People get capriciously executed and religious ones are being used to test new military equipment .

Say no to atheism !
spreading god through lies eh? Well done grin

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by MrMontella(m): 7:12am On Aug 24, 2016
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by MrMontella(m): 7:17am On Aug 24, 2016
[quote author=KingEbukasBlog post=48720771]

North Korea Nigeria has been with atheism christianity since 1846(even earlier) and islam since the 11th century 1948 yet their our economy is moribund , the citizens are being brainwashed , the people live in insularity , their leaders are venal and the crime rate is unreasonably high . People get capriciously executed extorted of hard earned money by religious criminals and religious ones are [s]being used to test new military equipment.[/s]
so delusional that even though their religion teaches about not laying up treasures in earth,,their pastors who tell them not to are doing so and they are too delusional to see it is a scam
[quote]
You atheists excoriate Islamim countries for being backward while atheist countries do worse just to constrain their citizens to adhere to atheistic ideologies
christianity committed worse atrocities to spread their gospel..#Fact.

Atheism Religion in africais backwardness , atheismreligionis mental slavery !!!

Say NO to atheism Religion !!!
Kingebukasblog ...no need to thank me..i fixed your post..
Cheers cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by MrMontella(m): 7:20am On Aug 24, 2016
felixomor:
Please give us credible statistics to show that africans are "obsessed" with night vigils.

Dont just make claims from inside ur head based on ur feelings! sad
dude...seriously are u alive?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by MrMontella(m): 7:21am On Aug 24, 2016
hopefuLandlord:

What kinda question is this?

How many continents carry out vigils like churches in Nigeria and Africa do?
the boy at times..i wonder if he has any atom of sense left..or just plainly stupid
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 7:31am On Aug 24, 2016
MrMontella:

dude...seriously are u alive?

Hehehe and u, are u dead? grin
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I've been banned for the craziest reasons and for very unreasonably long time but I still respect them .
Good for you then. I respect wisdom and commonsense.
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:38am On Aug 24, 2016
JackBizzle:

You can lie. You always lie. Denmark is one of the most irreligious countries in the world. 52% of the population is non-religious.

As for north korea, I'd posit that it is a communist country and communism is a state religion. If you notice, it is the only country yu use to attack atheists and has become a pitiful strawman.

Your 15 minutes of fame are up.

Gallup claims that 52 percent of the Danish population associates as either atheist or non-religious – but this figure is significantly lower than previous surveys that directly asked people whether they were religious.
A survey in 2008, also by Gallup, revealed Denmark to be in the top three least religious countries in the world, with a mere 18 percent considering religion an important part of their daily life.
http://cphpost.dk/general/denmark-still-predominantly-non-religious-says-expert.html

Young man , stop giving me data from online polls and questionnaires . The people who take part in these polls are are infinitesimal percentage of the nation's population . The other Norway poll involved 4,000 out of close to 5 million Norwegians . Do you see what I'm talking about ? And people who usually show interest in those polls are the atheists because they are interested in being seen as a growing community

Denmark has 80 percent of its population identify as Christians while the rest are either officially unaffiliated or belong to other religions

If you asked me if I'm religious ,I'd tell you no cos I hardly go to church and don't consider religion important . How many times will I tell you people this But do I identify as a Christian? yes !

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:46am On Aug 24, 2016
JackBizzle:

Instead of addressing the topic about unnecessary night vigils, you pivot to lying against atheism.

Let us address your lies one by one

1) Norway, Denmark and Switzerland are christian countries
False! They are actually some of the most irreligious countries in the world. All secular and far less religious than Nigeria.

2) Russia is flourishing?
False! By European standards, it is a corrupt and uneven country that can't even get into the EU if it wanted to.

3) North Korea is somehow irreligious.
North korea is an atheistic country but with a twist. North Korea has a state religion of communism. Communism is a state religio where the government elevated to a god like status.

To catch Ebuka, just notice that out of all the countries that are atheistic, he will only bring communist ones to criticize atheis,/ Pitiful

I already responded

KingEbukasBlog:

Norway

Close to 80 percent of the population in Norway are Christians and the officially unaffiliated make up just 13.0% of the population. Norway are historically a Christian country and its conversion started at 1000AD

Switzerland

Another Christian country which is the third most developed country in the world .Christianity came to Switzerland in the 16th century .

Denmark
Christians constitute 80 percent of Denmark’s population with other religions and the non religious are 20 percent of the population . By the 16th century , Christianity was already in Denmark

On communism

Communism is an atheistic ideology and atheism led to the death of millions

[size=15pt]Russia
According to the World Bank , in 2013 , Russia's GDP per capita: 14,611.70 USD and its Gross domestic product: 2.097 trillion USD .

Three countries have the irreligious preponderant in Europe ; New Zealand ,France and Netherlands

Atheists constitute just 10-12 percent of Europe's population [/size]

KingEbukasBlog:

Dude , Norway has been and will always be a Christian country . Like I said earlier , just last week , the state church provided an opportunity for members to leave the church - 15,000 left while 3.8 million opted to remain members of the Church . Let me also apprise you that only 13 percent of Norway's population are officially unaffiliated .The country has also been with Christianity for over 1000 years now .

Whatever you know outside this isn't veridical - spurious .

North Korea channels its resources and wealth to developing its military in a bid to make Kim's chimerical fantasies of being a world leader come true and fulfilling his plans to subjugate mankind . Apart from that , it is undeveloped and never had a halcyon period of economic growth or progress.

Do you know that communism is like a religion whereby the government is worshiped as god since it controls the wealth of the nation and is intolerant of beliefs other than atheism .

Communism is a dark religion , an atheistic doctrine , and the government is the flagitious god shocked shocked
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JackBizzle: 2:46pm On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Young man , stop giving me data from online polls and questionnaires . The people who take part in these polls are are infinitesimal percentage of the nation's population . The other Norway poll involved 4,000 out of close to 5 million Norwegians . Do you see what I'm talking about ? And people who usually show interest in those polls are the atheists because they are interested in being seen as a growing community

Denmark has 80 percent of its population identify as Christians while the rest are either officially unaffiliated or belong to other religions

If you asked me if I'm religious ,I'd tell you no cos I hardly go to church and don't consider religion important . How many times will I tell you people this But do I identify as a Christian? yes !

Ignorance and hypocrisy from KingEbuka
-How can you be against sampling of the Danish citizens and then quote that 80% of the Danish citizens are christian? That 80% too is a result of sampling but with bad questions!!!

Lies from KingEbuka
-How can you claim with no evidence whatsoever that atheists are more likely to respond to polls/questionnaires? The evidence is that atheists and irrilegious people are less likely to identify themselves on forms. This is a known statistical problem with counting atheists globally.

ehem....you dont consider religion important and you dont go to church.....yet you tell us that we should believe in your christian God? So you have been trolling for Jesus all this time? ****

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JackBizzle: 2:48pm On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

I already responded

80% of Danish citizens are christian?

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by otemanuduno: 2:59pm On Aug 24, 2016
winner01:
My brother told me last weekend "Have you noticed that foreigners dont pray long and aggressively as Nigerians "?
Its true.
I think it all boils down to the fact that people tend to be more religious when all else fails.
Our government has made us more religious.
Religion is not the answer, Jesus is
Who are the Religious People praying to? Is it not Jesus? Yet nothing changes for them. I'd rather advise them to pray directly to Eusebius and Faulkin the authors and finishers of their faith.
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 6:18pm On Aug 24, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Atheism is an irrational belief system and has held its adherents in mental slavery for a long time . E.g Soviet Union , North Korea and 20th century China .

Do you know that atheists have made very little accomplishments through out the history of mankind ? Do you know that atheism is culpable for the death of millions ?

Do you know that atheists are filled with so much hatred and anger ?
You saying it doesn't make it so. There is nothing rational with imaginary friends when you have reality to deal with. And you have to start to educate yourself about the difference between political ideologies and the simple stance on a single question. It seems you have missed some fundamentals.

At any rate it would be fun to know what the term 'christian' really means for you. Its a term with a very wide span (from flower power something out there to hardcore creationist) so a clear definition is a good start.
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:51pm On Aug 26, 2016
JFAH:

You saying it doesn't make it so. There is nothing rational with imaginary friends when you have reality to deal with.

Where did I mention having imaginary friends ?

And you have to start to educate yourself about the difference between political ideologies and the simple stance on a single question. It seems you have missed some fundamentals.

Communism is an atheistic ideology - even an idiot knows this .

Please read my post and then we can continue from there - you can now show me the fundamentals you claim I missed
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 6:24pm On Aug 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Communism is an atheistic ideology
No. It isnt. Go back to zero and start over. Next time you might learn something...
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:27pm On Aug 26, 2016
JFAH:

No. It isnt. Go back to zero and start over. Next time you might learn something...

Communism is an atheistic ideology - even a buffoon knows this

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 7:05pm On Aug 26, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Communism is an atheistic ideology - even a buffoon knows this
You still wrong. When you can differentiate between worldview/idelology and atheism, you're welcome to discuss. Before you pass those basic steps, discussions are not very productive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:12pm On Aug 26, 2016
JFAH:

You still wrong. When you can differentiate between worldview/idelology and atheism, you're welcome to discuss. Before you pass those basic steps, discussions are not very productive.

I don't think you understand that what "atheistic ideology " means . Christian eschatology is a theistic ideology , Christian communism which is actually communalism is a theistic ideology .

If you understand communism well you'd understand that it is an atheistic ideology . I implore you to read the link I posted , then we can continue from there .
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by FearGodAndLive: 7:33pm On Aug 26, 2016
JFAH:

grin grin impossible.
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by KingEbukasBlog(m): 10:46pm On Aug 26, 2016
FearGodAndLive:

grin grin impossible.

The dude is ineffably ignorant of the subject and you cheered him on - birds of the same feather do flock together
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 3:44am On Aug 27, 2016
JFAH:

Sorry bro, then what is communism based on? Religiousity? Just asking.
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 5:40am On Aug 27, 2016
felixomor:

Sorry bro, then what is communism based on? Religiousity? Just asking.

Ok; once again; extremely simple; *A*theism = *Non*theism => simplified form --> non belief in supernatural entities. Nothing more. Nothing else.It doest tell you anything about ideology, political views, your knowledge or lack thereof. It *only*, and I mean *only*, says anything about this singular question. This mean that you can find atheists in all conceivable walks of life in all geographic areas with *no* common denominator otherwise. They might be preppers for the doomsday, they might believe in aliens and pink chrystals or they might be science savvy.

Political ideologies is a completely different beast altogether. And quite a few of them are built along the blueprints of religious institutions with a back drop of rituals, social pressure and common dogmas to create cohesion and, yes, religion and worship (a good modern example would be north Korea for instance).

In short before you understand the difference of the concepts the discussion is pretty worthless.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by felixomor: 6:57pm On Aug 27, 2016
JFAH:

Ok; once again; extremely simple; *A*theism = *Non*theism => simplified form --> non belief in supernatural entities. Nothing more. Nothing else.It doest tell you anything about ideology, political views, your knowledge or lack thereof. It *only*, and I mean *only*, says anything about this singular question. This mean that you can find atheists in all conceivable walks of life in all geographic areas with *no* common denominator otherwise. They might be preppers for the doomsday, they might believe in aliens and pink chrystals or they might be science savvy.

Political ideologies is a completely different beast altogether. And quite a few of them are built along the blueprints of religious institutions with a back drop of rituals, social pressure and common dogmas to create cohesion and, yes, religion and worship (a good modern example would be north Korea for instance).

In short before you understand the difference of the concepts the discussion is pretty worthless.

Please all I can tell u is to go and study about communism, period. Nothing else cool
Re: Why Are Africans Obsessed With Night Vigils by JFAH: 6:51pm On Aug 28, 2016
felixomor:

Please all I can tell u is to go and study about communism, period. Nothing else cool

My copy of 'Das kapital' resides binder to binder with my copy of 'Mein Kampf'. The term communist is so misused nowadays that it borders on useless if not qualified further. Which type of communism are you referring to? I am fairly well acquinted with them, and as ideologies they leave much to desired even in the best of cases they are pretty naive. However that has nothing to do with atheism (did you know there are christian communists by the way, yes they actually self identify in that way) as such. It's merely an observation from Marx:s side that religion was used a 'opiate for the masses'. Which actually was quite spot on at the time. Sure it still is used that way in parts of the world (muslims in Iran, Saudi Arabia and so forth comes to mind) but in most of west Europe religion is but a cultural memory nowadays and have no actual influence on people. It still hold a grip on the south, largely poorer parts, of the USA, but otherwise the US is largely trending in the direction of secularism as well, so that part is not really true anymore in these geographic areas. Communistic ideology in itself is a child of its time, and when studying the philosophy most people realize that it has been dated. But its still a groundbreaking work, and one should read it if one is interested in political science as it provides a lot of insights. Just as anyone studying psychology cant avoid Freud although no one uses his methods or theories in todays world. Interestingly enough, though, the basics of marxism is likely to be reexamined in the not so distant future if the technology development continues its acceleration.

Really radical life extensions methods is in the pipe, my three children for instance will likely (given the progress) have a useful life of 200 years, at the very least. Heck even I could be in the region where radical life extensions could become the norm. Other very important and fast moving trends is the 4:th revolution in industrialization which is happening as we speak at an, by social standard unprecedented, speed. While medical research formerly where in to soften the diseases caused by aging, we are now looking at curing the aging. Other areas of development that already is having an impact are artificial intelligence systems and highly sophisticated robotics which already is rapidly advancing in a wide spectrum of areas, taking over manufacturing and also theoretical areas which formerly where the domain of human intelligence. This will have very profound and deep effect on society at large and how we do resource management. In a society where manufacturing costs next to nothing, healthcare is largely automated and we don't need people even for simple tasks and the people living there can expect more or less indefinite life spans we will have a very different economic system out of sheer necessity. Or we might even find that we don't need an economy at all... Another area which need attention in this scenario is how to handle the social tensions between poor regions and rich regions. After all, we already have a wide discrepancy in life expectancy, and when that discrepancy grows towards infinity i would think that things would get interesting, and sooner or later intolerable.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pope Francis' Message For World Mission Sunday 2013 / Five Muslim Countries Where Gay Is Legal / Prayer Warriors Say My Boyfriend Is Not The Husband For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.