Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,494 members, 7,823,156 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival (15955 Views)

Ten Most Popular Traditional Festival Celebrated In Igbo Land. / Announcement: Restriction Of Mov't In Ikorodu Due To Eluku Festival / Curfew In Ikorodu On Tuesday To Celebrate ‘eluku’ Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by ajepako(f): 1:52pm On Aug 23, 2016
8BitGee:

How is it that they are not Ijebu? Small time Epe will claim it is not Ijebu, just as Remo has done. Eee niyen o as my grand ma would say.

Omo alagemo merindinlogun kaare o wink

Epe is another case study oh..

They have two tribes of Epe, can you imagine?

You are either Ijebu Epe or Eko Epe

That is how it is in Epe oh.

At least I know I am Ijebu Epe, because my 93 year old paternal grandmother speaks Ijebu to me when I visit, even though I have little competence of the dialect.. cheesy cheesy
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by 8BitGee(m): 2:04pm On Aug 23, 2016
ajepako:

Epe is another case study oh..

They have two tribes of Epe, can you imagine?

You are either Ijebu Epe or Eko Epe

That is how it is in Epe oh.

At least I know I am Ijebu Epe, because my 93 year old paternal grandmother speaks Ijebu to me when I visit, even though I have little competence of the dialect.. cheesy cheesy

There are no two tribes. The towns upto around Ajah were Ijebu settled. It is simply that one part falls in Ogun and the other in Lagos. That's why some Ikorodu indigenes can claim not to be Ijebu.

Ijebu swag, hot like fire! We were one of the last frontiers of Yoruba resistance to colonisation. We had democracy and a system of governance that was beyond the imagination of the British.

My Ijebuness is a badge I wear arrogantly. E easy now cheesy

1 Like

Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by irunoko(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
ollah1:

Your imported religions have killed more people than our ancestral religions combined. What daily business do they have in the midnight? Are they thieves? Are they security operatives?

You lots are learned but always fail to apply that education where you ought to.
excuse me let me hear word jare. Kilonso tiodun lenu. So there are no female doctors or nurses they call for emergencies that have to leave their house at the wee hours of the night? Those working on night shift nko? undecided

Let's be reasonable jare undecided
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by Letoma(m): 2:42pm On Aug 23, 2016
Mumu Tradition = Mumu People

1 Like

Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by Letoma(m): 2:43pm On Aug 23, 2016
Mumu Tradition = Mumu People
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by Consultville(m): 3:39pm On Aug 23, 2016
Sunky200:

yes, i had the opportunity to witness two annual festival of eluku in Ifetdo between 2008/2009.

mehn, that thing dey scary no be small. especially in the midnight when everyone in the street will be hearing its mini-thunderous voice like it has a megaphone volume and the most annoying part is eluku ability to forwarn who ever dares him even from far far away.

guy, that eluku matter no be small small matter

lol no be small matter my brother am from okeigbo, Okeigbo own is more dreaded, its re-echo is frightening, thank God for the city where we don't really have such
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by Consultville(m): 3:41pm On Aug 23, 2016
warrenweste:

So your from oke Igbo? cheesy that's mum's town to.. Do u think the dreaded oke Igbo eluku is the same with these ikdu own?

Yes am from Okeigbo, Okeigbo own is far more dreaded, its echo alone sends fear into ones spine,

1 Like

Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by ikorodureporta: 4:55pm On Aug 23, 2016
I wonda why movement wl be restricted when most people here leave their homes very early in d morning & return late @ night. I wld like to ask the Lagos state government if this is a part of their mega city plan...

The last time a more youthful cultists declared a restriction of movement to mark '8-8 day', security officials were seen parading the whole city...
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by ceejay80s(m): 6:36pm On Aug 23, 2016
Daslim180:
Eluku festival kor, Eru iku festival nii.... Make una go restrict soldiers make them no pass.

Na dat day u go know say ghost get leg to run, when soldiers run mad with them
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by ceejay80s(m): 6:38pm On Aug 23, 2016
ANNOY:
Yoruba's and attention are like 5 and 6

Without that 5 and 6 picture, u post no get mean, so upload jacob zuma photo
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by JuanDeDios: 8:05pm On Aug 23, 2016
samnificent:
Other tribes will come and start bashing.... They Are preserving their culture
You think everything labelled culture is worth preserving?
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by JuanDeDios: 8:09pm On Aug 23, 2016
mikepeace:

Please can u specify the time of the restriction on each of those days, u only mentioned 23rd to 26th, or is it 24 hours a day?

Thanks

I guess Nigerians, especially women, are to abandon their businesses and keep off public roads so these folks can practice their cult unhindered. This is the story of 21st century Nigeria.
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by Druhill(m): 8:51pm On Aug 23, 2016
EdifiedCEO:
Information reaching [url]Newshelm.com[/url] news desk indicates that there will be strict movement restriction for residents of, and visitors to Ikorodu Town area tomorrow, Tuesday 23 to Friday 26, August, 2016.

The restriction is as part of the traditional ceremony for the annual Eluku Festival in the community.

Please note that this restriction is even more required of the female gender who must not be seen during the ceremony at the aforementioned time.

There are sordid tales of harassment of those who elect to violate the restriction in movement. Ikorodu residents are familiar with similar restrictions for another traditional Oro festivals, but only for a day.

Residents and other visitors are advised to stay off the streets during these hours.

http://www.newshelm.com/2016/08/breaking-news-movement-restriction-in.html

That's why if they dash me house for Ikorodu I no go accept it, uncivilized area to live, they should come and do Eluku or Pro festival in Ikoyi, V.I or Lekki na poor people and poor thinking.
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by nnemak(m): 8:32pm On Aug 23, 2017
Anyone this year. We are in August o.
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by DaSugarBoi(m): 11:20am On Aug 24, 2017
nnemak:
Anyone this year. We are in August o.

Yes ooo. 26th to 29th, restriction of movement 11pm to 6am (male and female).
Re: Eluku Festival: Movement Restriction In Ikorodu Over Traditional Festival by hitman2911: 6:15am On Aug 25, 2017
8BitGee:

There are no two tribes. The towns upto around Ajah were Ijebu settled. It is simply that one part falls in Ogun and the other in Lagos. That's why some Ikorodu indigenes can claim not to be Ijebu.

Ijebu swag, hot like fire! We were one of the last frontiers of Yoruba resistance to colonisation. We had democracy and a system of governance that was beyond the imagination of the British.

My Ijebuness is a badge I wear arrogantly. E easy now cheesy

Epe has 2 sections not 2 tribes. The Ijebu Epe and Eko Epe. The Eko Epe people were those who followed Oba Kosoko of Lagos to Epe when he was on exile there in the 1800's.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! / Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? / Black Man Is Forced To Be Classified As White In The United States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.