Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,749 members, 7,809,867 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 PM

Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? (15951 Views)

Who Can Translate This? Igbos Only / Cultural Game: A Lovely Price For Anyone Who Can Translate This Yoruba Oriki. / Please Translate From Yoruba To English Thank You Very Much (ese Pupo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by showbobo(m): 12:38am On Apr 07, 2009
Who can translate this from YORUBA to ENGLISH ''Ò YIN MÙ SÌ MÌ'' grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by Nobody: 12:44am On Apr 07, 2009
showbobo:

Who can translate this from YORUBA to ENGLISH ''Ò YIN MÙ SÌ MÌ'' grin grin cheesy cheesy
"He/she snubbed me"

Means" she raised her nosed at me", but it really means "she snubbed me"
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by Sammy107d(m): 2:52am On Apr 07, 2009
Well its not a "snub" perse. To sharply "raise your nose" at someone is just a manner of expressing derision (mocking scorn, contempt, disdain). It could be jokingly (as in expressing doubt that your friend cannot accomplish a feat), or it could be serious (as in a bunch of annoyingly ugly girls enviously mocking a pretty chic in a bikini at the beach)

2 Likes

Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by OluToye: 5:08am On Apr 07, 2009
I doubt there's an english equivalent. Its similar to "E ku ijoko" or "O'n moju si mi".
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by showbobo(m): 10:55am On Apr 07, 2009
I mean you should directly translate to English. . . . e.g

Erin E Npa mi- Your laugh/laughter is killing me grin grin
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by bigfather(m): 4:21pm On Apr 07, 2009
Ok then, what of E KU ILE O ! undecided
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by farotika(m): 10:44am On Apr 08, 2009
big father:

Ok then, what of E KU ILE O ! undecided

E = you

ku = die

ile = house

therefore: e ku ile o means YOU DIE HOUSE O undecided
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by farotika(m): 10:46am On Apr 08, 2009
OluToye:

I doubt there's an english equivalent. Its similar to "E ku ijoko" or "O'n moju si mi".

she (toyinrayo) is winking at me kiss
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by fonis: 4:30pm On Apr 08, 2009
winkit means He "Winked nose at me".
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by showbobo(m): 10:48pm On Apr 08, 2009
farotika:

E = you

ku = die

ile = house

hehehe i love your analysis, . . . . . grin cheesy

what about. . . E kU Odun ? grin
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by farotika(m): 8:23am On Apr 09, 2009
showbobo:

hehehe i love your analysis, . . . . . grin cheesy

what about. . . E kU Odun ? grin

Bros, add 2 plus 2 now u go get 3 cheesy

E kU Odun = you + die + festival = you die in festival grin
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by showbobo(m): 2:11am On Apr 10, 2009
farotika:

Bros, add 2 plus 2 now u go get 3 cheesy

E kU Odun = you + die + festival = you die in festival grin
hehehehe I wish you the same, What about E Ku Iyedun wonder what iyedun would be in english grin
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by oronna: 10:47pm On Apr 11, 2009
All, Yoruba language is too culturally advance and diverse that you can't really translate some words into English word for word. The best way to translate would be, using the English equivalent of the word. For instance, I can translate "eku odun" as happy holidays or happy celebration, and "eku ile" as happy home sitting. Overall, you need to have the knowledge of how the English people use the same words in their own culture. I do a lot of writing and translation and I come across issues like this everytime. You can checkout http://www.oronna.com/oronna/ , to read things in Yoruba. I hope the translation is helpful.
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by Nobody: 4:11am On Apr 12, 2009
farotika:

E = you

ku = die

ile = house

Farotika, ah ahn, am disappointed at your analysis jare shocked shocked embarassed tongue

Ku has many meanings na

farotika:

she (toyinrayo) is winking at me kiss
grin grin grin grin Right!
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 14, 2009
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by lawani: 2:51pm On Nov 09, 2015
E ku is the expression for salutation, it is why the Yoruba are called Aku. E ku ile means I salute you for holding forth in the house. E ku ise is I salute you for working. An European who got fascinated by the system took it farther by saluting a young girl carrying her little brother on the back 'E ku eru' he was surprised by the girl's response Eru ko aburo mi ni. He is not a load he is my brother. The European was a missionary in Ilesa, he said the girl's response formed the topic of many sermons he preached across the world. The man was Rev Ludlow. The ku does not imply die, the Tapa use the expression too and I don't think their word for die is ku. The word ku meaning die is a prominent feature of Bantu languages, though Yoruba is not a Bantu language, some classify it as semi Bantu.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by itstpia8: 4:09pm On Nov 09, 2015
lawani:
E ku is the expression for salutation, it is why the Yoruba are called Aku. E ku ile means I salute you for holding forth in the house. E ku ise is I salute you for working. An European who got fascinated by the system took it farther by saluting a young girl carrying her little brother on the back 'E ku eru' he was surprised by the girl's response Eru ko aburo mi ni. He is not a load he is my brother. The European was a missionary in Ilesa, he said the girl's response formed the topic of many sermons he preached across the world. The man was Rev Ludlow.

oga, the expression you are referring to is He's not heavy cos he's my brother which is an American one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Ain't_Heavy,_He's_My_Brother

check the above link for other usages of the phrase, in other countries. Not sure why you had to fabricate a Yoruba reference to this story and who you are targetting in Ilesa or wherever.

as per Bantu, west Africans are not Bantu, not being Fulani does not mean a person is Bantu.

Please take note.

1 Like

Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by lawani: 8:41am On Nov 10, 2015
itstpia8:

oga, the expression you are referring to is He's not heavy cos he's my brother which is an American one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Ain't_Heavy,_He's_My_Brother

check the above link for other usages of the phrase, in other countries. Not sure why you had to fabricate a Yoruba reference to this story and who you are targetting in Ilesa or wherever.

as per Bantu, west Africans are not Bantu, not being Fulani does not mean a person is Bantu.

Please take note.
I fabricated the story? Rev Ludlow's memoir is online and free for all to read. Do your research or just type the phrase with his name. That is easy enough instead of just typing without research. According to him he got that phrase from a young girl in Ilesa and he used it as a sermon topic across the world. Rev and Dr Mrs Ludlow were Methodist missionaries if I remember right.

I hear that only the Tiv or is it Idoma speak a Bantu language in Nigeria. However Ku as die is a feature of Bantu languages, the word Bantu or something like it is also used for man. Yoruba has some features of a Bantu language, so some linguists list the language as semi bantu. The word Ku meaning die does not exist in Igbo to the immediate East of the Yoruba but exists in Bantu groups farther removed from the Yoruba as far as South Africa. It is a mix and I never said Yoruba are Bantu only that the language has features of a Bantu language. Please do your research. Thanks.

http://www.tonyludlow.net/rnlpdf/rnlbook.pdf
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by absoluteSuccess: 9:41am On Nov 10, 2015
What does greeting mean in typical Yoruba?

Answer: Okun. (tone: mire).

e pe le (be long alive on the land). Esopele, iwapele (peace, peaceful conduct).

Esor (easy, calm, peaceful-when repeated twice: variant, jee, jeje)

Pele (Pe:long, le: land) long live, long land, meaning, live long on the land.

E nle (be to own the land)

e kun (be multiplied). Kun:filled up, fulfilled, additional, excess.

Okun awe (be strong, contemporary). Okun: strenght.

EKUU-, EKAA-

This is born out of the need to make a phrase with Okun kiki. It is not where the word itself originated from.

Okun kiki: cheering mannerism, cheer greeting.

IkiNi: Act of of cheering someone up, to press, to impress.

Okun:

To greet, to salute, to strengthen or encourage one another at any point in time.
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by itstpia8: 3:27pm On Apr 14, 2016
Re: Who Can Translate This From Yoruba To English? by bamorqueen: 8:56am On Dec 20, 2016
what is the english of this yoruba word, ohun mi ha

(1) (Reply)

Were Igbos Really The Only Historical Cannibals In Nigeria? / Absolutely Lovely Nigerian Traditional Dance! / I Never Said Benin Owned Lagos – Oba Akiolu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.