Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,179 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) (27191 Views)

Ready To Build Land (estate) @lakowe / Genuine Buy And Build Land @lakowe / Ready-to-build Land at Masters Villa, Awoyaya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 1:11pm On Aug 24, 2016
NO ADVERTISERS PLEASE

You are welcome!

Stay tuned. The documentation of my experience will begin shortly.

In the meantime, check out the main selling point of the 2 plots -- the view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1dFUttCMYY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by smilyice(m): 1:46pm On Aug 24, 2016
following!!!
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 4:48pm On Aug 24, 2016
Our 2 plots were purchased in June 2016. We visited other very disappointing plots that were far from the main road and the roads leading to the plots were rough. Those plots were scratched off my list before we even reached them.

I was then taken to see a plot that was not on my radar. The road in the estate leading to the land was paved and smooth up until the newly carved out area that was for sale. I was beginning to like this place already. After a few minutes of driving on a paved road in this residential area, we made a left and BOOM!!! I saw this edifice! At this point in the picture, the paved road ends because this area is being developed.

2 Shares

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 8:51pm On Aug 24, 2016
After falling in love with the view and the environment, it was a mad dash to finalize the purchase. Through an angel, I was able to get a lawyer to draft a purchase agreement at a significant discount. I was also able to secure a surveyor that was able to survey the land and process the survey plan I now have in hand.

After the purchase was finalized, we were owners of virgin land that needed to be cleared.

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2016
With survey plan in hand and markers in the corners, we forged ahead with clearning of the land. While clearing and leveling the land, huge boulders were found in the middle.

We weren't expecting boulders and we only had a bulldozer on hand. We tried to remove the boulders with the bulldozer, but we weren't successful. That means we had to pay again to bring an excavator to the site.

cry I said let's wait a while. I need to breathe (financially).

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 8:27pm On Aug 25, 2016
Time to tackle the boulders!

We had to get an excavator on site to remove the boulders and push them to one side of the land. What we originally thought were just a few boulders, turned into many. It was a bit overwhelming really.

Getting an excavator and bulldozer is not cheap ooo. Not sure what I could have to done to avoid this other than not buying the land. No regrets though. The view is amazing and because of it, we've made major changes to the design of the house (still under review).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EcFVUtW9X8

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 8:37pm On Aug 25, 2016

2 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by FastShipping: 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2016
Congratulation.

What part of Ibadan is this new development located?
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Nobody: 9:20pm On Aug 25, 2016
Bonanza, it's your lucky day. Buy two plots and g....oh wait sorry grin

Just glad to see someone in Ibadan that we can lick our constructions wounds together cheesy

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2016
On the same day of the excavation, a geophysicist was on site conducting a geophysical survey (@larwin) to determine where I should drill for the borehole and how deep I should expect to drill for good water.

Results of the survey will come later.

Things became interesting at this time because I was informed that my neighbor was stealing dirt and rocks from my land and using it on his build.

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 10:52pm On Aug 25, 2016
FastShipping:
Congratulation.

What part of Ibadan is this new development located?

Ose!

The land is in Adegbayi area.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 10:53pm On Aug 25, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Bonanza, it's your lucky day. Buy two plots and g....oh wait sorry grin

Just glad to see someone in Ibadan that we can lick our constructions wounds together cheesy

I'm not up to the stage you're at on your build and I already feel wounded. Still looking forward to get things going though.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 11:02pm On Aug 25, 2016
Knowing that my neighbor is a thief, I became concerned with him potentially stealing some feet of land. He was already building VERY close to the boundary and he's stolen dirt and rocks so I stopped everything.

The fence needs to go up and it needed to go up like yesterday.

Setting out of the fence begins!!!

2 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 11:46pm On Aug 25, 2016
Love this site for its high elevation... You ll have all the views of ibadan at hand. You don't need a telescope sef. Nice one @msogunro.

Check here for more info on borehole drilling and Geophysical Survey

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling

5 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 12:23am On Aug 26, 2016
After setting out, we quickly commenced excavation.

95m of excavation. Should be a piece of cake, right?

Gravel, dirt, and blocks on deck! Let's get started.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 1:48am On Aug 26, 2016
Workers are making progress on the fence. I feel more at ease now. Don't have to worry about my neighbor and the exchange rate is currently N400 to $1 grin grin

Workers have met some opposition though. One of the boulders pushed off to the side is in the way of the fence. Thanks to the one and only Hajj, I learned about the services of alakutas. I told my brother and he helped to locate an alakuta. He charges 8K for each load of boulders broken.

Pic 1 & 2: Boulder in the way of the fence

Pic 3: Shovel used to try and move the bolder

Pic 4: After an alakuta did his thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 1:55am On Aug 26, 2016
With the boulder out of the way, the bricklayers were able to continue their craft. Some of the broken rocks were broken into even smaller pieces and placed under the blocks. Why? I don't know.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 2:22am On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:
With the boulder out of the way, the bricklayers were able to continue their craft. Some of the broken rocks were broken into even smaller pieces and placed under the blocks. Why? I don't know.

This is nice, can the alakuta break the rocks into bigger aggregates which can be use In place of blocks. Or maybe nt

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 2:43am On Aug 26, 2016
Larwin:

This is nice, can the alakuta break the rocks into bigger aggregates which can be use In place of blocks. Or maybe nt

The alakuta can break the boulders into any size we want, but I don't know about using them in place of blocks.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 11:40am On Aug 26, 2016
The walls continue to rise...

One area needs to be made stronger so we go with double block's to shore it up.

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 11:41am On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

The alakuta can break the boulders into any size we want, but I don't know about using them in place of blocks.

Yea dey use it for building, blocks work is just Wat everyone is used to here.

Your rock is granite and are very durable than block. Though all these bricklayers might not know how to work it out. You might just use it for yr foundation.

Here r some walls made from rock. The finishing cud b expensive.

5 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 11:45am On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

Just to make a solid foundation... They should try and cement it well before laying blocks

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling.

2 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 11:59am On Aug 26, 2016
Larwin:

Just to make a solid foundation... They should try and cement it well before laying blocks.

You know, I thought the same thing but I didnt ask. I assumed that if I know it should be done, they should know because of their experience. I will ask now to confirm.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 12:01pm On Aug 26, 2016
Larwin:

Yea dey use it for building, blocks work is just Wat everyone is used to here.

Your rock is granite and are very durable than block. Though all these bricklayers might not know how to work it out. You might just use it for yr foundation.

Here r some walls made from rock. The finishing cud b expensive.

The material used in those pictures pass through very precise machines that cut them to a certain thickness and leave the back with a grooved finish. I doubt the Alakuta could achieve that.

3 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 12:16pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

You know, I thought the same thing but I didnt ask. I assumed that if I know it should be done, they should know because of their experience. I will ask now to confirm.

Pls don't assume O, they know d right thing to do truly but if you don't supervise well or instruct they will just be doing as it please dem ni. So far their work seems to b making sense.

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 12:18pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

The material used in those pictures pass through very precise machines that cut them to a certain thickness and leave the back with a grooved finish. I doubt the Alakuta could achieve that.

Yea dats tru... This is d type alakuta cud make.

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by FastShipping: 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

My site terrain is similar to yours. For my own fence, we had to use concrete wall of 3ft, 4ft and 5ft in some areas before setting blocks on them. The rocks at my own site weren't much but we did remove rocks here and there when I first bought the land few years ago. I have never seen where double blocks were used for fence as they did yours.

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by FastShipping: 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2016
more

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 2:10pm On Aug 26, 2016
FastShipping:

My site terrain is similar to yours. For my own fence, we had to use concrete wall of 3ft, 4ft and 5ft in some areas before setting blocks on them. The rocks at my own site weren't much but we did remove rocks here and there when I first bought the land few years ago. I have never seen where double blocks were used for fence as they did yours.

They do it atimes... I think they will later pour concrete inside the holes. Where is yr site located?
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 3:15pm On Aug 26, 2016
FastShipping:

WOW! Your fence foundation seems like serious business. Was that required only because of the rocky terrain or were there additional reasons? I also noticed that the footing is very wide. Whats the reason for that?

I received about 5 quotes for my fence build and I demanded that all of them visit the site before writing their quotes. None of them said I would need a concrete wall. Two said I would need a double wall in the section that was very low after the land was cleared because I will need a lot of sand to fill it. Hopefully my fence won't crumble.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by olumide4christ: 4:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

WOW! Your fence foundation seems like serious business. Was that required only because of the rocky terrain or were there additional reasons? I also noticed that the footing is very wide. Whats the reason for that?

I received about 5 quotes for my fence build and I demanded that all of them visit the site before writing their quotes. None of them said I would need a concrete wall. Two said I would need a double wall in the section that was very low after the land was cleared because I will need a lot of sand to fill it. Hopefully my fence won't crumble.

The double wall is used as a cheaper alternative to the reinforced concrete wall similar to that on Fastshipping's site. They are both meant to perform the same function but which is to be used should be determined by a structural engineer taking into consideration the site & soil conditions.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 4:13pm On Aug 26, 2016
olumide4christ:

The double wall is used as a cheaper alternative to the reinforced concrete wall similar to that on Fastshipping's site. They are both meant to perform the same function but which is to be used should be determined by a structural engineer taking into consideration the site & soil conditions.

That's good to know. You said cheaper alternative, but is it less effective?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Owns The FENCE Around A Land / Trapped Worker Rescued Alive 4 Days After Building Collapse In Rivers. Photos / Construction Process Of The 3 Bedroom Block Of Four Flats In Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.