Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) - Properties (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) (27183 Views)

Ready To Build Land (estate) @lakowe / Genuine Buy And Build Land @lakowe / Ready-to-build Land at Masters Villa, Awoyaya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by princejones(m): 8:29am On Aug 27, 2016
Great work so far and excellence start off
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by 4nobody4every1: 8:39am On Aug 27, 2016
Nice work so far cool
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Joarams(m): 8:53am On Aug 27, 2016
Very nice one. I had no idea threads like these existed on NL. @msogunro...God bless you.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by leofab(f): 9:08am On Aug 27, 2016
Nice
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by uboma(m): 9:10am On Aug 27, 2016
ayoolanr:

question? if i bend all the iron bars on one side of the wall, won' those rocks all fall out? then whats left of the fence?

do you really think it would be that easy to bend all the iron bars on the other side?

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by anonimi: 9:12am On Aug 27, 2016
diordaves:
msogunro this your plot is unique and vintage. It will be a crying shame if all the stone works just ended with the foundation only. Your final build should be sympathetic to the geological history of the area in terms of architectural execution. One should look at your completed build in 20 years time and still "see" the nature of the topography in the building. To start with, it may not be too much ask to look into adopting Gabion Wall for the front of the on going fence work. You may also use Gabion for your landscaping or cobbled stone floor like in medieval European streets,

Not only medieval Europe sir. Even in Ile-Ife they had something similar.

Rossikki:
[size=15pt]Ife Pre-Pavement and Pavement Era (800–1000 A.D.)[/size]

Ife Paved Roads dated 800 AD

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/pave/hd_pave.htm

The categories given to the distinct periods of ancient Ife’s artistic production center around the paving of the city’s courtyards and passageways with terracotta bricks sometime around 1000 A.D., marking the beginning of Ife’s Pavement period. This practice is thought to be associated with the urbanization of Ife. The origin of the pavement is explained in a popular story: according to Yoruba mythology, Queen Oluwo ordered the construction of the pavement when her robes were muddied in the dirt.

Artistic production at Ife predates the construction of these pavements. The minimalist stone monoliths and other works of early Ife are generally attributed to the Archaic Era (before 800 A.D.) and Pre-Pavement Era (ca. 800–1000). The emergence of the highly specialized sculptural tradition of Ife is believed to have begun sometime after 800 A.D. and reached its height between the twelfth and fourteenth centuries. These eras, from the pre- to post-Pavement periods (stretching from 800 to 1600), are marked by both an increasingly expressive naturalism in the depiction of human figures and the development of a highly abstract artistic style....

A centre of political and religious power, Ife has been a formidable city-state through much of the second millennium A.D. The flowering of Ife art coincided with the commercial expansion of the neighboring city-state of Oyo, a strategically placed trading centre, that channeled goods coming down the Niger River from the Songhai empire to Ife and other centers. The aesthetic style developed during the Pavement period of Ife art has been an ongoing influence in Yoruba sculptural styles since its inception. ...

Excerpt:

http://historum.com/middle-eastern-african-history/71640-potsherd-pavements-ile-ife.html

''Ile-Ife is the most ancient Yoruba city, and is still venerated today by the Yoruba as their main cultural and religious center. It's practically a holy city. You may know of Ile-Ife due to its highly sophisticated terracotta and bronze castings, but did you know that the city had a complex system of paved roads? Evidently, an oral tradition concerning the distinguished Yoruba ruler Ono Olowo, apparently she was walking around the capital when her regalia was splattered with mud. Very upset, the Queen ordered the construction of pavements around all of the public and religious places of Ife(courtyards, shrines), made of ceramic tiles from pots. A quote concerning how potsherd pavements are created:

How The Pavements Were Built

''The pathway or courtyard to be paved would be prepared by leveling the ground. The potsherds were then prepared by breaking them into pieces. The soil was then well-kneaded to make for a good sub-base providing the working platform. The soil base was mixed with residual water from the palm-oil industry and left to ferment for two to three days. In the absence of residual water from the palm-oil base, the soil was mixed with palm-oil. Where there was no palm-oil, the soil was left to ferment longer, say, one-week. Mixing the soil with palm-oil was done to provide uniform heating when the pavement was being "baked'.

After the base was prepared, the potsherds were then stuck into the prepared soil and then arranged into whatever design was desired, be it herringbone or straight-row design. The pavement was then left to dry out before being "baked". In the baking process, dry wood and shrubs were packed on top of the pavement and set on fire''
''.

Typical Paved Courtyard In Ancient Ife

Terracota Head, 1100 AD, Ile-Ife

Excerpt:

Ife Timeline

Pre-Classical (also known as Pre-Pavement), ?-11th centuries
Classical (Pavement), 12th-15th centuries
Post-Classic (Post-Pavement), 15th-17th centuries

http://archaeology.about.com/od/archaeologistsgj/qt/ile_ife.htm

During its heyday of the 12th-15th centuries AD, Ile-Ife experienced a fluorescence in bronze and iron arts. Beautiful naturalistic terracotta and copper alloy sculptures made during the early periods have been found at Ife; later sculptures are of the lost-wax brass technique known as Benin bronzes.

It was also during Classic period Ile Ife that construction of decorative pavements, open-air courtyards paved with pottery sherds, began.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by fapcrook(m): 10:33am On Aug 27, 2016
EgunAnigilaje:

Personally, I would trust the judgement of the local artisans on the ground. I did.

You're building a fence on rock solid ground and not building Cocoa House on swampy land.

They don't even need to carry the double wall past the level of the soil being retained.
you are correct, with my mum at a site which has two bedroom of three flats up and down making six flats at Ijegun in Lagos. Even with the lag water we didnt do double block
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by platinumtt: 11:05am On Aug 27, 2016
Good one @ OP.
This is one of the main i reasons i created my site ( http://www.naijalandproperties.com/community/ ) to gather relevant information from experienced people and professionals and make it available for individuals to make an informed decision and to be aware of available options from the process of sighting a land to be bought to moving into your apartment or renting it out.
Every one of desire to have landed properties with peace of mind. This can be made by making key information available at the right time to prospective property owners. Issues from land acquisition, documentation, approvals, structures and many more can be avoided.

http://www.naijalandproperties.com/community/

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 11:17am On Aug 27, 2016
@all talking about the double wall, that part of his is made up of lateritic/sandy material.... If you see the profile from the pit you will understand beta. I think that is why the bricklayers have to double the wall and also put aggregates under. Though the wall don't have to go all dat high, just 3-5 coaches is OK and also making sure it is filled with concrete. Another way is to use @fastshipping style.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by OgbeniSamm(m): 11:31am On Aug 27, 2016
I'm learning. GOD bless you all.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by alsudaes1(m): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2016
Following keenly. . .

Learning from the Masters. .
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2016
Damn!!! Front page. Luckily no crazies or roofing ads. If I see a roofing ad, I won't buy from you when I reach that stage.

No Advertisers Please!

4 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 1:12pm On Aug 27, 2016
Thank you to all the well wishers and Amen to all the prayers.

God will do yours in return!
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by semasir: 1:58pm On Aug 27, 2016
You're most welcome..... Reading and following this thread to accumulate knowledge for mine which was just sealed off last week. Pls do not fail to give updates. Thanks

msogunro:

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by rotecch77(m): 2:41pm On Aug 27, 2016
Oga msogunro,this is lovely, Almighty God will finished the project in lesser time than expected by you
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by bettercreature(m): 4:32pm On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:

You have wasted lot of money,there are several ways to do all these without all these unnecessary expenses,anyway the most important thing is to achieve your goals.How you achieved it is not important
Congratulations
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by jay7(m): 4:42pm On Aug 27, 2016
God know matter how life hard reach for Nigeria i go build my own standard house too.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 27, 2016
bettercreature:
You have wasted lot of money,there are several ways to do all these without all these unnecessary expenses,anyway the most important thing is to achieve your goals.How you achieved it is not important
Congratulations

So as not to polute this thread, why not start a new thread and educate us on building on a rocky outcrop.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by iamphill: 4:44pm On Aug 27, 2016
FastShipping:

My site terrain is similar to yours. For my own fence, we had to use concrete wall of 3ft, 4ft and 5ft in some areas before setting blocks on them. The rocks at my own site weren't much but we did remove rocks here and there when I first bought the land few years ago. I have never seen where double blocks were used for fence as they did yours.

nice one. but am curious why did you use concrete wall. before setting blocks.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 5:19pm On Aug 27, 2016
bettercreature:
Congratulations

grin grin grin

How do u know how much I paid?

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 5:22pm On Aug 27, 2016
jay7:
God know matter how life hard reach for Nigeria i go build my own standard house too.

Oluwa ma gbo adura yin!!
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Nobody: 6:46pm On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:
So with fencing progressing well, my fears have been subdued and I can now get back to the issue of borehole drilling.

Remember the geological survey I mentioned earlier? Well, the result said I would need to dig 80-90m. From what I've learned so far, borehole drillers in Ibadan typically charge N5K per meter.

Let me do the math for you.

N5,000 × 90m = N450,000. shocked shocked

I'm taking donations.
Thats too cheap Sir, 80/90m borehole in my state wil cost 900k/1million
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by jay7(m): 10:21pm On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:

Oluwa ma gbo adura yin!!

Amin Jesu
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by obstead200(m): 10:33pm On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:
So with fencing progressing well, my fears have been subdued and I can now get back to the issue of borehole drilling.

Remember the geological survey I mentioned earlier? Well, the result said I would need to dig 80-90m. From what I've learned so far, borehole drillers in Ibadan typically charge N5K per meter.

Let me do the math for you.

N5,000 × 90m = N450,000. shocked shocked

I'm taking donations.
Wow!!! That is really deep.
In most parts of owerri, we hit very clean water at 30m depth. Although some areas have to go deeper.

More grease to ur elbow.

The 5k u talked about, are materials included (I.e well casing and risers)?
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 1:16am On Aug 28, 2016
obstead200:

Wow!!! That is really deep.
In most parts of owerri, we hit very clean water at 30m depth. Although some areas have to go deeper.

More grease to ur elbow.

The 5k u talked about, are materials included (I.e well casing and risers)?

It includes the casings. I only need to buy the pump.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by obstead200(m): 6:44am On Aug 28, 2016
msogunro:

It includes the casings. I only need to buy the pump.
in that case the price is very ok. But I guess that the geologist estimates that you won't meet rocks on the way down.
Cos in such terrains, it is usual to meet rocks and then abandon that hole to start another one..............................at N5000 a meter again.
I hope that will not be your portion.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 8:58am On Aug 28, 2016
obstead200:
in that case the price is very ok. But I guess that the geologist estimates that you won't meet rocks on the way down.
Cos in such terrains, it is usual to meet rocks and then abandon that hole to start another one..............................at N5000 a meter again.
I hope that will not be your portion.

Yea, msogunro's site has little or no overburden like 2m from the surface. So basically he should be drilling through rocks right from the surface.

Well you need to know that drilling through rocks is sweeter than drilling through sediments.

You can check my thread here to know more about drilling boreholes.
Thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
The house is cool but the gate is old school.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by twoMcfemad: 12:20pm On Aug 30, 2016
nyben4eva:
The house is cool but the gate is old school.
Oga, which house and gate? I hope all is well with you oo

3 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by true2home(m): 1:59am On Aug 31, 2016
The last time I assumed, my lovely tree was murdered cry but I was able to save my Palm tree... Thank God I received the picture before they got to it.

Larwin:

Pls don't assume O, they know d right thing to do truly but if you don't supervise well or instruct they will just be doing as it please dem ni. So far their work seems to b making sense.

https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 3:42am On Aug 31, 2016
true2home:
The last time I assumed, my lovely tree was murdered cry but I was able to save my Palm tree... Thank God I received the picture before they got to it.

R.I.P. to your tree.

Luckily for me, they did the right thing. I pray they continge to do so.

That your L-pad studio, I'm liking it ooo. I really am. I may need to buy the complete drawings from you at some point.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Larwin(m): 8:12am On Aug 31, 2016
true2home:

smiley smiley smiley that is 9ja for you... But dey should have asked about your plan for the tree... Rip to your tree shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Unique Duplex Design / Trapped Worker Rescued Alive 4 Days After Building Collapse In Rivers. Photos / Tank Farm Owned By Stallionaire On Fire In Ojo, Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.