Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,021 members, 7,835,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) (27209 Views)

Ready To Build Land (estate) @lakowe / Genuine Buy And Build Land @lakowe / Ready-to-build Land at Masters Villa, Awoyaya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by olumide4christ: 4:32pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

That's good to know. You said cheaper alternative, but is it less effective?

The answer could be yes or no depending on the site and soil conditions (bearing capacity of the soil, etc) as I mentioned above.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by FastShipping: 4:35pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

WOW! Your fence foundation seems like serious business. Was that required only because of the rocky terrain or were there additional reasons? I also noticed that the footing is very wide. Whats the reason for that?

I received about 5 quotes for my fence build and I demanded that all of them visit the site before writing their quotes. None of them said I would need a concrete wall. Two said I would need a double wall in the section that was very low after the land was cleared because I will need a lot of sand to fill it. Hopefully my fence won't crumble.

Mine could have been done just like yours too. I had three nairalanders at my site sometime last year. One recommended I do it the way you are doing your fence. Two recommended concrete walls. I decided to go with the concrete walls. The decision was based on the terrain and sloppy of the land. The double wall cost four times less than the concrete walls. This gives me rest of mind.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by EgunAnigilaje: 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:

That's good to know. You said cheaper alternative, but is it less effective?

Personally, I would trust the judgement of the local artisans on the ground. I did.

You're building a fence on rock solid ground and not building Cocoa House on swampy land.

They don't even need to carry the double wall past the level of the soil being retained.

6 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 9:08pm On Aug 26, 2016
So with fencing progressing well, my fears have been subdued and I can now get back to the issue of borehole drilling.

Remember the geological survey I mentioned earlier? Well, the result said I would need to dig 80-90m. From what I've learned so far, borehole drillers in Ibadan typically charge N5K per meter.

Let me do the math for you.

N5,000 × 90m = N450,000. shocked shocked

I'm taking donations.

12 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by EgunAnigilaje: 9:31pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro:
So with fencing progressing well, my fears have been subdued and I can now get back to the issue of borehole drilling.

Remember the geological survey I mentioned earlier? Well, the result said I would need to dig 80-90m. From what I've learned so far, borehole drillers in Ibadan typically charge N5K per meter.

Let me do the math for you.

N5,000 × 90m = N450,000. shocked shocked

I'm taking donations.

I haven't found one yet but rumor has it that the Indians have the market cornered in Ibadan at least. In terms of quality of work and honest pricing. That's the route that I'm going when I come home. I've been quoted $350 to $450 for mine. But I don't desperately need water on this project.

Good luck Sir. Fence looks great.

What cement are you using?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 9:56pm On Aug 26, 2016
EgunAnigilaje:

I haven't found one yet but rumor has it that the Indians have the market cornered in Ibadan at least. In terms of quality of work and honest pricing. That's the route that I'm going when I come home. I've been quoted $350 to $450 for mine. But I don't desperately need water on this project.

Good luck Sir. Fence looks great.

What cement are you using?

Thank you sir. Slowly, but surely.

I was told Dangote. One of the pictures has a cement bag in it but I cant quite see what it is to confirm.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by diordaves(m): 11:38pm On Aug 26, 2016
msogunro this your plot is unique and vintage. It will be a crying shame if all the stone works just ended with the foundation only. Your final build should be sympathetic to the geological history of the area in terms of architectural execution. One should look at your completed build in 20 years time and still "see" the nature of the topography in the building. To start with, it may not be too much ask to look into adopting Gabion Wall for the front of the on going fence work. You may also use Gabion for your landscaping or cobbled stone floor like in medieval European streets, Gabion Wall barbecue, stone wall cladding etc. The possibilities are endless with those stones. A proper and well thought out use of those stone will set your build apart from the rest I swear! See pix below to familiarize yourself with the possibilities:

Included is the architectural plan on how to build a Gabion Wall.

13 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by diordaves(m): 11:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Fence

5 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by diordaves(m): 11:42pm On Aug 26, 2016
Decor

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by diordaves(m): 11:43pm On Aug 26, 2016

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by msogunro: 4:10am On Aug 27, 2016
diordaves:
msogunro this your plot is unique and vintage. It will be a crying shame if all the stone works just ended with the foundation only. Your final build should be sympathetic to the geological history of the area in terms of architectural execution. One should look at your completed build in 20 years time and still "see" the nature of the topography in the building. To start with, it may not be too much ask to look into adopting Gabion Wall for the front of the on going fence work. You may also use Gabion for your landscaping or cobbled stone floor like in medieval European streets, Gabion Wall barbecue, stone wall cladding etc. The possibilities are endless with those stones. A proper and well thought out use of those stone will set your build apart from the rest I swear! See pix below to familiarize yourself with the possibilities:

I purposely excluded the road side portion of the fence from this stage of construction for various reasons. I like the Gabion Wall you've just introduced to me, but it won't work for the front fence. I want to be able to appreciate the view at any level.

I like your idea of incorporating the rocks into my build and I will definitely make an effort to do so. You've given me many new ideas.

6 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by bplenty(m): 4:30am On Aug 27, 2016
Well done @Msogunro you've done well.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Idrismusty97(m): 6:46am On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:
With the boulder out of the way, the bricklayers were able to continue their craft. Some of the broken rocks were broken into even smaller pieces and placed under the blocks. Why? I don't know.
They are called hardcore fillings. That was the first thing i thought when i saw the boulders, you could use that as your hardcore fillings if the soil is too marshy. They are usually expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by madeonline(m): 6:57am On Aug 27, 2016
Foundation (base) for the fence work. No need for a sub base as you are building on a weathered granite which itself is stronger than laterite
msogunro:
With the boulder out of the way, the bricklayers were able to continue their craft. Some of the broken rocks were broken into even smaller pieces and placed under the blocks. Why? I don't know.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by galadima77(m): 7:03am On Aug 27, 2016
Nice thread! Seems everybody can't be broke wit d economic meltdown afterall...

2 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by madeonline(m): 7:06am On Aug 27, 2016
correct, i agree with you on this. also the other concrete wall is not on a rocky formation buy a sandy one with bamboo trees adjacent to reflect proximity to a river/stream path. Double wall would not suffice for that swampy formation, concrete raft as done is the best option. You guys have two different geological terrians
EgunAnigilaje:

Personally, I would trust the judgement of the local artisans on the ground. I did.

You're building a fence on rock solid ground and not building Cocoa House on swampy land.

They don't even need to carry the double wall past the level of the soil being retained.

3 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Burgerlomo: 7:09am On Aug 27, 2016
Congratulations
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by madeonline(m): 7:11am On Aug 27, 2016
nice thread, i have learned alot from this great work.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by ishiamu(m): 7:15am On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:
Our 2 plots were purchased in June 2016. We visited other very disappointing plots that were far from the main road and the roads leading to the plots were rough. Those plots were scratched off my list before we even reached them.

I was then taken to see a plot that was not on my radar. The road in the estate leading to the land was paved and smooth up until the newly carved out area that was for sale. I was beginning to like this place already. After a few minutes of driving on a paved road in this residential area, we made a left and BOOM!!! I saw this edifice! At this point in the picture, the paved road ends because this area is being developed.

give me an estimate of the amount of money to have incase and trying to buyy a 2 plot and build also...please thanks

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by sped1oro(m): 7:20am On Aug 27, 2016
Congratulations Op, i hope the land in question was well compacted enough to forestall any failure underneath, from experience this could happen in terrain like this.

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by twinskenny(m): 7:22am On Aug 27, 2016
msogunro:

I purposely excluded the road side portion of the fence from this stage of construction for various reasons. I like the Gabion Wall you've just introduced to me, but it won't work for the front fence. I want to be able to appreciate the view at any level.

I like your idea of incorporating the rocks into my build and I will definitely make an effort to do so. You've given me many new ideas.

Gods willing you shall complete this...
Congrats boss
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by semasir: 7:36am On Aug 27, 2016
Congratulations tongue .... Happy for you! May you live to complete and enjoy the house fully too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by emmaliver(m): 7:47am On Aug 27, 2016
I am following.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by ELITE12(m): 7:49am On Aug 27, 2016
Love this thanks for sharing this information sir, you will complete this project by the Grace of God
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by gen2briz(m): 7:52am On Aug 27, 2016
Following....
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by HomeOfMe(f): 8:04am On Aug 27, 2016
Red sand in ibadan ke! I thought it was only in the south-east you find red sand. Congratulations OP on your building.

1 Like

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 27, 2016
diordaves:

question? if i bend all the iron bars on one side of the wall, won' those rocks all fall out? then whats left of the fence?
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Onegai(f): 8:06am On Aug 27, 2016
Diordaves I really like your suggestion about incorporating the topography of the area into the final build.

2 Likes

Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by fendorf(m): 8:07am On Aug 27, 2016
Following
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by sibb2011: 8:15am On Aug 27, 2016
interesting stuff.
Re: Slow/Long Process of My Build: Land Purchase to Completed Home (Ibadan) by Swissheart(f): 8:24am On Aug 27, 2016
Loving this.....weldone op

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Trapped Worker Rescued Alive 4 Days After Building Collapse In Rivers. Photos / Who Owns The FENCE Around A Land / Lagos Begins Deconstruction Of Three Structures On Ikoyi Building Collapse Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.