Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,456 members, 7,770,133 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:10 AM

Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here (64843 Views)

Can You Cook Any Soup With N200.. Check Out Mine / Paste Pics Of Your Healthy Meal Here. / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 1:18pm On Sep 30, 2009
i would be helping all those who would like to have cameroonian recipes here, so just ask me,

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 1:31pm On Sep 30, 2009
How to cook Cameroonian Eru

Ingredients:
Sliced eru
palm oil
water leaf or spinach
cray fish (cray fish)
Smoked fish or stock fish
pepper (ground)
maggi
salt
meat
cow skin (kpomo)

Method
Boil meat and cow skin with a bit of salt, maggi and pepper ( u can also boil smoked fish if it is to strong
wash eru and put in a collender to drain the wash and slice waterleaf/spinach
when meat is and cow skin are ready, add water leaf/spinach and leave for a few minutes
Stir the waterleaf/spinach and make sure it looks cooked then u add your eru while stiring (this process is very delicate coz u need to make sure u don't put more eru than the water leaf can take)
Then u can pour your palm oil and smoked fish and leave for a while to cook (beware: don't cover the pot)
U can now put ur pepper, cray fish, maggi and salt and in a few minutes ur eru is ready.
It can be served with pounded fufu, water fufu, garri in short anything fufu.

ENJOY
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by pattiano(f): 4:10pm On Sep 30, 2009
Tessybaby, thanks for coming up with ERU recipe, can you please give me the recipe for NDOLE and how its is prepared.
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 9:53am On Oct 01, 2009
NDOLE recipe

Ingredients

bitterleaf
Peeled groundnuts
onion
garlic
pepper
groundnut oil
meat
and smoked fish if u want

Method

wash and slice bitterleaf then put water on the fire to boil
when water is boiling already u add a small quantity of limestone (akanwa)
u can now pour the biterleal into the boiling water and leave to boil for a while (be careful not to put too much limestone or else ur bitterleaf would become too soft.)
You can now remove the bitterleaf from the fire and leave to cool, then u wash it so well dat it looses all the bitter taste.
Place the meat and smoked fish in a pot with a pinch of salt and maggi and leave to boil.
Blend ur peeled groundnuts and add to the meat and smoked fish. Leave to boil till the groundnut looses all its raw smell and taste.
Now u can add ur ground garlic, pepper and onion then maggi and stir for a while
add the washed bitterleaf bit by bit and make sure u don't put more than the groundnut paste can take. Leave to cook for about 15 minutes.

pour groundnut oil in a frying pan and place on the fire
when the oil is hot add sliced onions and let it fry (not burn) then pour the mixture into ur pot of ndole.
Your ndole is ready and can be served with plantains, miondo, bobolo and even rice

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by pattiano(f): 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2009
Thanks for the Ndole recipe. This one is quite different from the one my friend taught me but i lost the recipe. In that one there's no groundnut added and instead of g/nut oil, i used palm/oil with some celery. I will try out this and hope it comes out well. Thanks once again.
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by snazzydawn(f): 5:17pm On Oct 03, 2009
ohhh!!! I miss miyondo, I feel like eating it now! can you give me the recipe for achu?

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by ifyalways(f): 5:14pm On Oct 04, 2009
Pls,recipe for ekpan coco anyone? smiley
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 8:24am On Oct 05, 2009
will be coming up with the recipes of achu and ekwang ASAP
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 1:56pm On Oct 05, 2009
RECIPE FOR ACHU AND YELLOW SOUP

Ingredients:

achu cocoyams
palm oil
smoked or fresh meat
cow skin (kpomo)
limestone
achu spices
pepper
maggi
salt

Method

wash and boil cocoyams with the skin ( do not peel the cocoyams)
when it is ready, pound cocyams into a smooth paste adding water
so it should not be hard like pounded fufu.

Boil meat and kpomo with a pinch of salt, maggi and some cloves of pepper.
when meat is ready, put another pot on the fire and pour in palm oil and heat for a about 3 minutes. You can now put off the fire and place both pots on the floor/sink.
dilute limestone in water and seave it to remove any stone/sand.
Pour the limestone bit by bit into the oil until u get a yellow mixture
pour the meat and fish from the other pot into the yellow mixture
stir well and add the achu spices, pepper, maggi and salt.

Your achu is ready.
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 2:27pm On Oct 05, 2009
EKWANG RECIPES

INGREDIENTS:
-6-7 red or white cocoyams (not achu coco)
-6 Maggie cubes, salt
-1 bottle palm oil
-Dry fish, Meat,
-Cocoyams leaves
-1 onion
-1 Cup Njanga(crey fish)
-,ginger, pepper.
- PATIENCE (lol)

PREPARATION:
Cut up meats and boil. Put 2 maggie cubes, pinch of salt, and half an Onion chopped. When ready keep aside.
Wash Cocoyams leaves and using hands, gently pull leaves from stem. Should be large enough to wrap coco mixture without splling at sides.
Peel coco yams and grater. Mix with 1 tsp salt.
grind ginger, pepper, 1/2 onion.
Oil bottom and sides of pot with a generous amount of palm oil.
Start wrapping grated cocoyams in Cocoyams leaves. Placement is very important, for this will make the everything stay together. So place wrapped coco in a tight alignment, and criss-cross to allow the easy circulation of water during cooking.
you can now put the pot on the fire with some of the water from the boiled meat and the boiled meat too.
After boiling for about 30mins while, add the smoked fish, salt and the ground ginger and onion, then the palm oil.
DO NOT STIR WITH SPOON. Lift both sides of pot with pot handlers, and gently shake. Keep heat on med-high and cook for about 30mins.

Put maggi, crayfish and pepper according to tates, in a few minutes your ekwang is ready.
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by ifyalways(f): 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2009
tessybaby:

EKWANG RECIPES

INGREDIENTS:
-6-7 red or white cocoyams (not achu coco)
-6 Maggie cubes, salt
-1 bottle palm oil
-Dry fish, Meat,
-Cocoyams leaves
-1 onion
-1 Cup Njanga(crey fish)
-,ginger, pepper.
- PATIENCE (lol)

PREPARATION:
Cut up meats and boil. Put 2 maggie cubes, pinch of salt, and half an Onion chopped. When ready keep aside.
Wash Cocoyams leaves and using hands, gently pull leaves from stem. Should be large enough to wrap coco mixture without splling at sides.
Peel coco yams and grater. Mix with 1 tsp salt.
grind ginger, pepper, 1/2 onion.
Oil bottom and sides of pot with a generous amount of palm oil.
Start wrapping grated cocoyams in Cocoyams leaves. Placement is very important, for this will make the everything stay together. So place wrapped coco in a tight alignment, and criss-cross to allow the easy circulation of water during cooking.
you can now put the pot on the fire with some of the water from the boiled meat and the boiled meat too.
After boiling for about 30mins while, add the smoked fish, salt and the ground ginger and onion, then the palm oil.
DO NOT STIR WITH SPOON. Lift both sides of pot with pot handlers, and gently shake. Keep heat on med-high and cook for about 30mins.

Put maggi, crayfish and pepper according to tates, in a few minutes your ekwang is ready.

thank yous
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by stages: 5:02pm On Oct 26, 2009
wow
thanx tessybaby for this thread
i love cameroonian dishes
they are just so nice
hope u will help us with many more recipes
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by WKoko: 9:53pm On Dec 30, 2009
I have heard that people cook the beef leg meat in Achu soup with the bones in it and serve it that way. Is that what you mean when you specify meat or are there variations for cooking it?

Thanks!

smiley
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by mamagee3(f): 12:33am On Dec 31, 2009
Cameroon dishes are tasty!

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by chika98: 4:30am On Dec 31, 2009
Would be nice to see pictures. I have eaten them but haven't got a clue what they are called
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by africhika(f): 6:28pm On Jan 02, 2010
tessybaby, i ate this one cameroonian dishes a few months ago.
it was DIVINE. black eyed peas with tomato and stuff. we have something
similar in nigeria, but this one was different.

i've been trying to get the recipe from the lady who made it but its hard to reach her.
how do u cook this thing?
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 9:35am On Jan 12, 2010
@ w koko
it depends on what type of meat u want in ur achu soup
but what i know is dat fresh fish is never used as it can spoil the taste/colour
of the soup
the cow leg is usually used in cameroon to prepare pepper soup and yes it is served with the bones

@ africhika
i'll have to look dat up coz cameroonians have so many different meals. can u please describe this meal well so i can get a clue?
what did u eat it with? plantains, fufu, rice etc?

@chika98
i'll upload some photos later
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 9:50am On Jan 12, 2010
fufu and eru

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 9:51am On Jan 12, 2010
achu

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by twinskenny(m): 8:18pm On Jan 12, 2010
can we get cameroun ingredient here in Nigeria?
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 8:28am On Jan 13, 2010
I can't really tell coz am not in naija
but i know some people who travel from cameroon to naija always take along some
cameroonian ingredients like green spices, pepper, maggi and so on.
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by twinskenny(m): 8:41am On Jan 13, 2010
i think we have those one u mention here in Nigeria.
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 8:52am On Jan 13, 2010
yeah i know
but i think some people would prefere using
cameroonian ingredients to cook cameroonian meals
dats why they still take along these ingredients to naija
the same way some nigerians in cameroon bring along naija ingredients
when they travel from nigeria
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by twinskenny(m): 9:22am On Jan 13, 2010
I guess u are a Nigerian in Cameroun right?
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 11:17am On Jan 13, 2010
no
am a cameroonian in cameroon
i have had many nigerian friends and neigbours
throughout my life and am interested in so many
naija stuff
u guys are amazing
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by Nayah(f): 2:37pm On Feb 25, 2010
Good Tessy sisterl but you have forgotten Mbongo Tchobi meal from the Bassa tribe very tasty as well!!!
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by mimi1983: 5:27pm On Dec 24, 2010
wow tessy, im so glad to have found this site; i can now try out these recipes.
do you have the recipe for KOKI? this is something i really miss and cannot find here in europe.
HELP! thanks tessy!

1 Like

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by jovi: 10:21pm On Dec 27, 2010
what is the spice njangsang?, used for peppersoup?, any pictures or english name?
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2011
yeah Nayah very tasty

mimi i'll get be back with dat recipe

yes Jovi Njansang is used for peppersoup and other meals too
belowis the picture

Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by tessybaby(f): 2:16pm On Jan 14, 2011
Poulet DG (Poulet Directeur Général)

What you need

One chicken, cut into serving-sized
One-quarter cup oil
Salt and black pepper to taste
One Maggi® cube and/or a one-inch piece of fresh ginger root (peeled and minced) or a teaspoon of powdered ginger and/or fresh herbs of your choice (parsley, celery leaf, etc.)
One garlic clove, minced
Two carrots, chopped
Haricots verts or thin French green beans, ends trimmed (optional)
Two or three sweet peppers (bell peppers): green, yellow, orange, or red, cleaned and chopped (optional)
Two tomatoes, chopped or canned tomatoes (optional)
one onion, chopped
What you do
If desired: Combine chicken, a tablespoon of oil, spices, carrots, green beans, and peppers in a bowl. (It's better to have most of the "optional" ingredients; carrots and bell peppers are the most common, tomatoes the least common.) Stir well. Let marinate for one to three hours.
Heat remaining oil in a very large skillet or dutch oven. Add onions and fry briefly, until they begin to become translucent. Add chicken and fry over high heat until lightly browned.
Add remaining ingredients, except tomatoes which should be saved for last. Reduce heat. Do not cover.
Simmer, stirring regularly, until chicken is done and liquid partly evaporated, leaving some sauce. (Add warm water by the tablespoon if the pot becomes dry before the chicken is done.) Add tomatoes (if desired), and simmer for a few minutes more.
Serve with Rice, Miondo (Cameroon's version of Baton de Manioc & Chikwangue), and Fried Plantains.
The Poulet DG can be mixed with the fried plantains immediately before serving
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by aminalib(f): 5:01am On Jan 20, 2011
ndole can be made with potato leaf also correct?
Re: Learn How To Cook Any Cameroonian Meal Here by snthesis(m): 5:28pm On Jan 20, 2011
**subscribing**
I know I shud use gOogle grin- but any chance sum1 hia knws a good cameroonian Restaurant in Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When You Take Too Much Alcohol[funny pix] / This big Fish was Caught In a small Stream / The Antelope We Killed Yesterday In Ijebu-itele, Ogun State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.