Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,036 members, 7,814,537 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:35 PM

Electoral Offences Commission? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electoral Offences Commission? (619 Views)

Police Arrests INEC Officials, Party Agents Over Electoral Offences In Zamfara / Police List 15 Major Electoral Offences Voters Must Avoid / INEC Fires 30 Staff Over Electoral Offences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Electoral Offences Commission? by msaalli(m): 4:17pm On Sep 30, 2009
While watching "Live from the National Assembly" earlier today on NTA, the executive bill on the formation of an electoral offences commission came up for second reading on the floor of the Senate and despite listening to well-informed debates from both sides of the argument, I could not but side up with those arguing against it, despite the lucid and sensible arguments of particularly Sen. Mamora. I was able to pluck out some points I could do with some enlightenment on, such as:
1) Do we really need an added layer of bureaucracy?
2) What if we are unlucky to have another Maurice Iwu in charge? 3) A disturbing aspect of the bill is the power being sought for the President to be able to summarily dismiss the chairman and members of the commission.
4) Can't they simply merge the functions being proposed for this commission with that of the existing tribunals, especially in cases where electoral crimes are established?

(1) (Reply)

How Aondoakaa Sold Murtala Mohammed Airport To Wale Babalakin’s Bi-courtney -cou / Is It Nigeria Leaders That Are Bad Or The Followers? / Anambra 2010: Pdp Will Not Go Back On Soludo - Ogbulafor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.