Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,838 members, 7,820,921 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:15 AM

Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill (10701 Views)

Taraba Assembly passes bill against open grazing / Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers / Rivers Assembly Passes N470b 2017 Budget Into Law (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Ohammadike: 6:51pm On Aug 25, 2016
Ekiti State House of Assembly on Thursday passed the bill to ban free grazing in the state.

The bill also prescribed six months imprisonment without an option of fine for any offender of the bill that also ban movement of cattle after 6pm in the state.

The passage of the bill followed the submission of a report of Joint Committees on Agriculture and Environment by its Chairman, Mr Ayodele Fajemilehin, to the House.

The Speaker of the House, Mr Kola Oluwawole, who presided over the plenary, said the bill would now reduce the incessant clashes between farmers and herdsmen in the state.
If the bill is eventually accented to by the governor, it will now become a crime for any cattle, sheep and goat to graze on undesignated land for ranches in Ekiti.

According to the new bill tagged,” Prohibition of Cattle and Other Ruminants Grazing in Ekiti, 2016″, anyone found violating the bill upon conviction shall be sentenced to six months in prison without the option of fine.

Others included, “The Governor shall by an order designates land in each of 16 Local Government Areas in the state in respect of which Cattle or Ruminants may be permitted to graze.

The rest are,” No person shall cause or permit any cow, oxen, sheep as well as goat under his or her control to graze on any land in which the Governor has not designated as ranches” among others.

“No cattle or other ruminants shall by any means move in the night, movement shall be between 7 a.m and 6p.m”

http://m.guardian.ng/news/ekiti-assembly-passes-bill-to-ban-free-grazing/?

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by smellingmenses: 6:56pm On Aug 25, 2016
Welcome development

80 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by biggerj(m): 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2016
now dats wat am talkin abut i trust my guy if de tin get 2 am hin no go waste 1 min na sign nam shapali shapali.

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Ohammadike: 6:59pm On Aug 25, 2016
I hope Enugu governor is watching the action governor dealing with the murderous Fulani herdsmen

All hail fayose

119 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2016
Better

12 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by shukuokukobambl: 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2016
That's very nice indeed.

The cattle aren't given for free so just like poultry farmers buy feed for their birds, cattle owners too must learn to purchase land for ranching.

Kudos to oshokomole on this angry

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by thesicilian: 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2016
I like this. There is no rationale whatsoever for giving free public land to private business owners.

47 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by SuperS1Panther: 7:13pm On Aug 25, 2016
I hope states with crying governors can copy Ekiti's pragmatic solution to the marauding herdsmen menace.

59 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by MrDavidson: 7:18pm On Aug 25, 2016
Thumbs up to all the people who made this possible. In this 21st Century, in which civilized nation does pastoral herding still take place? I hope other governors follow suit.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Chloekim(m): 7:20pm On Aug 25, 2016
I'm with Fayose on this. Kudos to the State Assembly for the passage of the bill. Its now the turn of other states not minding political parties line. Collectively we can boost agricultural production

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Ohammadike: 7:23pm On Aug 25, 2016
shukuokukobambl:
That's very nice indeed.

The cattle aren't given for free so just like poultry farmers buy feed for their birds, cattle owners too must learn to purchase land for ranching.

Kudos to oshokomole on this angry

GBAM!!!!!!!!!!

17 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by 989900: 7:24pm On Aug 25, 2016
1st good news coming out of Ekiti!

3 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by fineboynl(m): 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2016
fayosa should have be the governor of Enugu.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by ajepako(f): 7:26pm On Aug 25, 2016
Now that is a state will real balls of steel..

To deal with a mad abookiii you need a high dosage of madness like an aboookkii..

Ojuboro o gba omo lowo werey..

Kudos jare...Other states keep waiting for Buhari to deploy army to fight for you while fulani herdsmen decimate the number of your citizens...

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by kenny987(f): 7:26pm On Aug 25, 2016
Excellent!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by DamiBukola: 7:31pm On Aug 25, 2016
The only governor in Nigeria, very active and proactive

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Slynonny(m): 7:55pm On Aug 25, 2016
Good one Fayose.
I hope the dog in Aso Rock won't die of heart attack.

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Bethelwealthy(m): 8:44pm On Aug 25, 2016
..........For the record, fayose is a man of words but as well a man of not just action, but apt and appropriate decisions for his people.
.................enugu crying governor, copy that!

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Pheals(f): 11:33pm On Aug 25, 2016
angry nice one but.. . Y is other gov. Sleeping

1 Like

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by MadCow1: 8:58am On Aug 26, 2016
FINALLY!!!

Ekiti has done something positive worthy of News..

But scrutinizing this bill, something is off for me. According to the bill, Herdsmen are still allowed to freely herd their Cattle around the State between the hours of 7a.m and 6p.m, but are not allowed to graze on any field that isn't government approved.. grin

Its still a halfassed measure..

Outright banning of Cattle Herding is the way forward in 2016.. angry

I have not seen Abokees herding Nama in all the European and American Countries I have visited so why should our own be different? angry

16 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Burger01(m): 8:59am On Aug 26, 2016
This should be done nationwide...starting from Enugu. Those cattle grazers should graze in their ranches angry

20 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by OsuIbo: 8:59am On Aug 26, 2016
Nice one from Governor Ayodele Peter Fayose and his legislators in Ekiti state.

3 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by johnstar(m): 9:00am On Aug 26, 2016
undecided
Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by AfricanFacts: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2016
lol
Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 26, 2016
Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Femich18(m): 9:00am On Aug 26, 2016
My Fingers crossed....
Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by agwom(m): 9:01am On Aug 26, 2016
hmm
Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by betterABIAstate: 9:01am On Aug 26, 2016
SuperS1Panther:
I hope states with crying governors can copy Ekiti's pragmatic solution to the marauding herdsmen menace.
for the first time, I think you are making sense.

7 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by Vendoor(f): 9:01am On Aug 26, 2016
Mr President won't like this grin

3 Likes

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by tomakint: 9:02am On Aug 26, 2016
As much as I like this move by the Ekiti State House of Assembly, I wish to tag it a belated one however not too late. This is how responsive government shows interest in the security of her citizens. Enugu State government should have embarked on this rather than the Governor resorting to a direction less praying crusade in grim situation that requires frontal and immediate resolution with brutal consequences for those wasters. A stupid, timid governor like the Enugu State one deserves to be impeached for "sleeping in broad daylight" in the face of stark realities from the advancing Fulani Herdsmen bastards.

I think the Ekiti lawmakers should include "shoot at sight" to those Herdsmen roaming after 6 pm because these herdsmen are strategists who should not be taken lightly. A Southern Kaduna indigene will understand me better.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti Bans Free Grazing: Assembly Passes Bill by anonimi: 9:02am On Aug 26, 2016
Great move to test the constitutionally enshrined autonomy of the 36 states.

8 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Gloria Izonfo, New NPC Commissioner From Bayelsa / Court Vacates Order Stopping APC Convention / Chetachi Nwoga-ecton, Yahaya Bello, Others Win Big At Int'l Women Power Conferen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.