Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers (10723 Views)

Nigerian Government Has Paid N325Million To Whistle Blowers - EFCC / Senate Passes Whistle Blowers Protection Bill, 2017 / FG To Reward Whistle-blowers On Illegal Weapons – Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Blue3k(m): 1:42pm On Jun 08, 2017
The Senate has passed a bill to protect whistleblowers and witnesses directly involved in the prosecution of certain criminal cases.

The bill, titled Witness Protection Programme (Establishment etc), SB 157, was passed on Thursday, following a report submitted by the committee on human rights, legal matters and judiciary chaired by David Umaru (APC-Niger).

It was sponsored by Isiaka Adeleke, the Osun West APC Senator who died in April.

When the bill scaled the second reading in October 2016, the Senate had resolved that it be merged with a similar proposal to protect persons making disclosures for public interest and other forms reappraisal, sponsored by Abiodun Olujimi, PDP-Ekiti.

In his lead debate when the bill was being considered for second reading last year, Mr. Adeleke had said a law protecting witnesses was usually required in the prosecution of organised crimes like terrorism.

In such trials, Mr. Adeleke said, the witnesses would be allowed to wear masks, bear pseudo names and receive protection from authorities.

On her part, Mrs. Olujimi said “this is a cardinal bill in the fight against corruption.” She said fighting corruption hung on effective protection of whistleblowers.

She mentioned three instances at the Ministry of Aviation, Women Development Centre and the Police Service Commission where whistleblowers were fired.

Abdulmumin Jibrin, a former chairman of the appropriations committee of the House of Representatives, was just recently suspended for 181 legislative days on the ground that he breached members’ privilege.

In his remark after the bill was passed Wednesday, the deputy Senate President, Ike Ekweremadu, who presided, thanked his colleagues for the bill, which he said, was in honour of the deceased Adeleke.

The bill must also be passed by the House of Representatives and signed by the president to be law.

Source: http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/233385-breaking-nigerian-senate-passes-bill-to-protect-whistle-blowers.html

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Blue3k(m): 1:46pm On Jun 08, 2017
Some pretty good news. The whistleblowers should be safe from losing jobs and violence. They do the society a favor uncovering curruption that stays hidden.

12 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nogodye(m): 1:51pm On Jun 08, 2017
You mean am not safe before blowing my whistle? But now safe.Good move

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Alexsmith20(m): 2:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
With such development, even your brother go join blow whistle untop your matter...after that he wear their mask..mtchwwww of a goverbmint.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Blue3k(m): 3:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
Alexsmith20:
With such development, even your brother go join blow whistle untop your matter...after that he wear their mask..mtchwwww of a goverbmint.

The mask thing was probably just reference to other cases like in Colombia during Pablo Escobar's terror. Whistleblowers get plenty of cash as motivation.

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by victorDanladi: 3:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
8th national assembly is the best so far although still poor.Saraki led assembly score 45/100:

with,
electoral amendment
Petroleum industry bill passed
whistleblower protection bill
southeast commission bill.

keep it up,you can score above 50.

David mark,Ken nnamani,okadigbo,wabara assemblies put together score 35/100

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Jaymaxxy(m): 3:06pm On Jun 08, 2017
Our problem has always been implementation of laws. I think we have enough laws to make this country better. However, our leaders develop cold feet when it comes to implementation.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nobody: 3:18pm On Jun 08, 2017
Saraki
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by NwaEzefuNaMba(m): 3:22pm On Jun 08, 2017
when will this useless senate pass bill to impeach our incapacitated president?

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Gravas(m): 3:25pm On Jun 08, 2017
Good.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 08, 2017
grin grin grin grin

If I whistleblow on the senators am I covered?

5 Likes

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by NwaAmaikpe: 3:56pm On Jun 08, 2017
angry
Thank God.

I receive countless threats daily...even here in NL.
But man must talk
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Brandmanager(m): 3:56pm On Jun 08, 2017
these guys should pass bill on corruption cases and improvement of the country not all dese
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by GeneralOjukwu: 3:56pm On Jun 08, 2017
Bukola Saraki, kleptomaniac extraordinaire would be the first to kill a snitch
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by PREBuhari2019: 3:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
If you want to become Whistle- Blower apply here.
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nobody: 3:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
I need a whistle...
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Alisegun(m): 3:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Partnerbiz3: 3:57pm On Jun 08, 2017
Master s in whistle blowing.

Buy my e book on whistleblowing cool

See below for data

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nobody: 3:58pm On Jun 08, 2017
I've been waiting patiently for this. Time to blow this particular whistle. I'm the happiest man in the world

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Amirullaha(m): 3:59pm On Jun 08, 2017
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by feelgoodInc: 3:59pm On Jun 08, 2017
I don't like this, especially when world cup qualifications is coming, now the referee can do whatever they like. mchteeeww

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Tgonyag: 3:59pm On Jun 08, 2017
Ok
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Generalwoodz(m): 4:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
A
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nobody: 4:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
Na wa o
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by MISSNORA(f): 4:00pm On Jun 08, 2017
Who missed me? cheesy wink
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by ZombieTERROR: 4:01pm On Jun 08, 2017
I go blow for buhari
That man na thief
E don dey use style dey stach money for uk.... They can't fool me
I go blow whistle to blow grin

1 Like

Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by pythonkid(m): 4:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
a
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by Nigeriadondie: 4:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
undecided Simple thing senate just make corruption an offence with the death sentence so that there wud nothing to blow whistle on. Tackle the root cause. The current 2 years jail term is too little for someone who stole billlions. With such sentence u pamper not fight corruption. But how will thieves and looters make laws against looting. Shey na robbers like Saraki,Akpabio,Dino, TA Orji and others go make such laws. So disappointing is Ben Bruce with his empty "common sense" rant or Shehu Sani who claim to be human rights activists.
By d way let them account for d constituency allowance they receive cos there are no tangible projects they have executed. By the way d legislature has no business in financing projects at all and that is part of the huge drain on resources to execute capital projects
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by kunlexy1759(m): 4:02pm On Jun 08, 2017
O better!
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by ZombieTERROR: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
MISSNORA:
Who missed me? cheesy wink
Why won't I miss those behind grin
Wonderfully made and packaged in heaven
Just for my consumption
Re: Senate Passes Bill To Protect Whistle-Blowers by salesforce: 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2017
Hmmmm

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ogun State Produced The Highest Tons Of Solid Minerals In 2018 – NBS / Gbajabiamila Writes SSS, Demands Probe Of Campaign Of Calumny Against Him / I'm Not Corrupt, I Pleaded Guilty To Save Nigeria's Image – Ibori

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.