Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,949 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? (58218 Views)

Whose Name Should Be Put On documents of Properties Acquired By Married Couples? / 17-Year-Old Boy Buys A Car For His Mother In Lagos. See Reactions (Photo, Video) / Timetable For Sex For Married Couples, Good Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Oluwashegunnn(m): 8:05am On Aug 30, 2016
flakkybaby:
Well as for me i was onec nice and good to my MIL until when i gave birth i called her mum i need something from you and d response she gave me, was i know how many children i have in yoruba says (mo mo eyeh omo ti mo bi , or olomo mo omo e) can u imaging will u still be able to take her inn anytime again?
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Nobody: 8:30am On Aug 30, 2016
Mzflexydeeva:
Would you be comfortable living with your mum??

Anty!God bless u abeg I don ask d woman b4 fear no let am answer....wives hate constructive crticism as long as its nt coming from their own mother......dis nonesense u talk no try am with me oo,say my own mama no go stay u jst myt end up in ur father's house with ur load....d way u take cherish ur mama I cherish mine pass.....and dnt 4get family get heirarchy there are no equals;the way ur kids aren't equal to u d mum na so d mum no equal to d dad nt withstanding any circumstance watsoever.....
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Oluwashegunnn(m): 8:42am On Aug 30, 2016
flakkybaby:
Well as for me i was onec nice and good to my MIL until when i gave birth i called her mum i need something from you and d response she gave me, was i know how many children i have in yoruba says (mo mo eyeh omo ti mo bi , or olomo mo omo e) can u imaging will u still be able to take her inn anytime again?
...i think we need to redefine the word nice.. leme ask a ques.b4 u calld her..wht was ur relationship like? although u might be 'nice'.. 2 her do u treat her with respect..leme shr this with u .it hapnd to my cousins grma..d woman was sick,her DIL stylishly snt her away from her son's house only 4 her 2 bring her own sick mother a few mths later ..she later wntd this woman to hp her wit bbysitin ..the rem was a full blwn war .,also i feel its not up 2 u 2 call ur mil.. u shuld hv alwed ur hus 2 do that ..ur mil will be thinking that u hv taken ha for a slave...."y cant she call her own mother"[that is the way they think]
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Nobody: 9:01am On Aug 30, 2016
You just need understanding when mother in law is around, because whether you like it or not she will make changes to your home environment.

I would advise that she joins you later as you need time to bond with your wife. grin

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by IceDude(m): 9:01am On Aug 30, 2016
I won't be comfortable with it "base on who i be"....She should stay in her house jor!
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by nairalandbuzz(m): 9:06am On Aug 30, 2016
blessedqueen:

I love your idea

Hmmmm
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by sweetilicious(f): 9:09am On Aug 30, 2016
specialguest:
My mother in law stays with us weekdays and returns to her house on weekends because we live in the same city. To be frank at first I was not comfortable with the arrangement but when I asked the price of day care near my office and it was way too much (40k monthly), I began to appreciate the favour she is doing us by staying to take care of the baby while I go to work monday through friday.
Now we are really really close, We watch Zee world together after I get back from the office and she even assists to make dinner on the days I return late.
If I were to choose all over again, I would still prefer her to stay with us because her presence has been a blessing and a stress reliever.

Op the choice is yours, weigh it well!
Thank you. If your MIL starts staying with you, at first you might be uncomfortable but with time you will get used to her. Its normal to be like that whenever another person shares your space. Its human nature. But not being able to seek for adjustment to accommodate people is weird. MIL won't disrupt your sex life. Its not true.

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Arijude(m): 9:11am On Aug 30, 2016
specialguest:
My mother in law stays with us weekdays and returns to her house on weekends because we live in the same city. To be frank at first I was not comfortable with the arrangement but when I asked the price of day care near my office and it was way too much (40k monthly), I began to appreciate the favour she is doing us by staying to take care of the baby while I go to work monday through friday.
Now we are really really close, We watch Zee world together after I get back from the office and she even assists to make dinner on the days I return late.
If I were to choose all over again, I would still prefer her to stay with us because her presence has been a blessing and a stress reliever.

I like this. You must be a good DIL and she must also be a good MIL.

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by lordkhalifa(m): 9:20am On Aug 30, 2016
if she bring her mother to live with us I bring mine to live as well.... I love mortal combat cheesy if her mother beat my mum make I bend grin mum get upper hand in my house more than my mother in-law undecided
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Seahawk: 9:24am On Aug 30, 2016
Oluwashegunnn:
...are you insuniating that if a man gets married 2 u he should 4get his mum and face u squarely
don't blame me for your lack of understanding. I never said that.

.dont 4get u will be a MIL one day..
the kind of MIL that will allow my son and his wife to enjoy their marriage. Not the type to carry myself and interject into their home trying to control how him and his wife run their affairs. People grow up to outgrow parental influence. Some mothers need to realize this when it comes to their sons. She doesn't call the shots anymore. She needs to retire and let them pilot their own affairs.

3 Likes

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by lordkhalifa(m): 9:29am On Aug 30, 2016
[quote author=Oluwashegunnn post=48916979][/quote] be like say u are the man of the house while ur hubby is the woman, ur mom in-law has a stay in his Son's house, u don't have that will power to decide if she stays or not, unless u are the bread winner, if my brother chase my mum out his house because of his wife , we will make life unbearable for her, but if my mum is the is at fault, definitely we will caution her, no matter anything always tolerate ur mother in-law because women are jealous of their son
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by hiltino: 9:48am On Aug 30, 2016
specialguest:

I'm very sure you will make a great MIL tomorrow. I like the way you appreciate her more now.

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by hiltino: 9:57am On Aug 30, 2016
iRyan:
My mother in law is uber racist and a b*tch too. I been trying to get along with her, and my wife's been trying to get us along too. There's this one time she visited and cooked for just my wife and our miscreant doggy. Yeah she pretended not to know I was home lol. She now visits whenever I am away on a business trip. The bonding process seems to be taking more time than I expected.

How about if you try giving (being kind and caring), soon you'll realize that she'll come along and you start getting the things you expected from her. Remember that Luky Dube song.....blessed is the hand that giveth than the one that taketh
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Oluwashegunnn(m): 10:40am On Aug 30, 2016
@seahawk, i dont like that clause..lack of understanding... in my write up i never insulted you ....ok if u become a mil u will never constructively critize both ur son and his wife shortcomings ...but stay aloof and allow them run dia things even though they are heading 2wards.....from ur writeup i see u dont posses tolorance as a trait so anyone who tells u the truth is seen as an enemy and must be conquered
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Yoyostic: 10:43am On Aug 30, 2016
No be Patience Ozokwor's type of mother inlaw o. Personally, I prayed to have one cos i lost mine during childhood but unfortunately, I didnt.Really wanted my kids to experience that grandmotherly love.
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by rezzy: 10:46am On Aug 30, 2016
princeonx:
Hell No!! Mine was nothing but trouble!! Her over Sabi is too much!! If your car didn't start in the morning she will ask if you're sure there's enough air in the tire!!
My own mom on the other hand was double of what I described above. At a point i had three women to please while married to only one! So, they can both visit but no body is living in my house anymore!! Infact I have to see your return ticket before you visit and if it's more than 2 weeks, no room for you.

Just like my mother in law. You didn't put on generator at night na big wahala. We were coming back from a wedding on Saturday, she began to complain about the AC, after a while, she just shouted abeg off that AC open the window make fresh free breeze enter and when the windows were open, she started singing in Yoruba and praising God.

My mother own is enlarge your wedding pix , nysc pix,baby pix, family pix, that pix and this pix. Why didn't I put 2 meats in my food, or drink tea this night. When I get tired of the complains, I will say, mummy, we no get money to do enlargement now, I dey manage the meat for pot or i will say I dey watch my weight.
She will just look at me and say stingy girl. shocked shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin grin

Make them stay for their house dey look their husband.

2 Likes

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by opcon(f): 11:09am On Aug 30, 2016
Bad idea. talking from experience. my own mum gave my husband hell just because I was bringing in more money to the house than he is... I sent her away. little wonder her marriage crashed. bad bad idea. I have known no greater peace since just I my husband and 2 kids alone live. we have disagreements but we settle within an hour or less. na my choice, make me live with am.

2 Likes

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Nely77(m): 11:14am On Aug 30, 2016
Some mothers in-law could be annoying. They are so domineering that they would want to detect for their sons in-law what should be in his own house. Showing no single respect for the person marrying your daughter. I cannot tolerate such. Meanwhile, there are some good ones who know their boundaries and respect their sons in-law. The later is always welcome!

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Nely77(m): 11:18am On Aug 30, 2016
opcon:
Bad idea. talking from experience. my own mum gave my husband hell just because I was bringing in more money to the house than he is... I sent her away. little wonder her marriage crashed. bad bad idea. I have known no greater peace since just I my husband and 2 kids alone live. we have disagreements but we settle within an hour or less. na my choice, make me live with am.

That's cool. Marriage is between two people not between one and a family. If a family member (be it mother, father, brother or sister) should come to cause trouble, it is better he/she stays and we visit him/her when we deem fit. Yours is a great decision. I like it.
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Harinholar(f): 11:49am On Aug 30, 2016
We have all spoken our mind....but d truth is dat we cant all arrived@a junction cos we all have diff backgroundz nd diff.wayz of reasoning......But one tin is sure...if u have an illiterate MIL u wll have have problem with her staying with u under d same roof...take it or u leave it...and to d single ladies of deir... if u noticed ur finance is diz Mummyz boi... hummmm..... be ready to tolerate ur MIL even wen u are married cos u wll be left with no option dan to love her .....but d question is what happens to our father -in- lawz... who wll take care of dem wen diz MIL decided to stay back in deir son matrimonial homeshummm.....Well as for me am not yet married tho...but I prayed she loves me for who I am....cos at a point in time I can't deny her of her rit nd I can't ever take her position......#hoping for the best in her###
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Prince16: 12:02pm On Aug 30, 2016
ehimeayeni:

My dear, i beging to wonder why some girls hate their mother in laws and forbid them to visit their matimonial home after marriage not knowing that they too would be mother in law one day.... Only those who wear the shoes knows where it pinches most

Simple...... very very simple.

#DNA tinz!

Even if it's d wife's mother, the 2 women (mother & daughter o) will still end up clashing. Women are territorial by default. Whether they be mother-dota, sister - sister matters a little. Having a stranger (d MIL) as 'competitor' only makes matters worse worst!
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Mzflexydeeva(f): 12:02pm On Aug 30, 2016
Sweetpenis:

Anty!God bless u abeg I don ask d woman b4 fear no let am answer....wives hate constructive crticism as long as its nt coming from their own mother......dis nonesense u talk no try am with me oo,say my own mama no go stay u jst myt end up in ur father's house with ur load....d way u take cherish ur mama I cherish mine pass.....and dnt 4get family get heirarchy there are no equals;the way ur kids aren't equal to u d mum na so d mum no equal to d dad nt withstanding any circumstance watsoever.....

If ur mum can stay with you, ur mother inlaw should be able to. Treat ur mother in law just the way you will treat your mum

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by ibro360(m): 12:36pm On Aug 30, 2016
specialguest:

i would not give you the credit but the credit goes to your mother cos she raised a smart girl.

1 Like

Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by toprealman: 12:42pm On Aug 30, 2016
Nyceguy92:
An arrangement where a mother-in-law is living with her son-in-law is not common.
They usually visit for a short period.

However, if you find yourself in the situation you describe, treat her like your mother.
*MOTHERS know their boundaries and when not to interfere.

I don't see how she will interfere in sexual matters; it's between you and your wife in the bedroom.
But that does not mean you should go ultra-conservative and stop acceptable public displays of affection because she is there.

Pleas note that you cannot hide obvious misunderstandings from her...
After keeping quiet for a while, she may one day deem it obligatory to ask questions - as an adult and as a mother.
*Some mothers not all
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by specialguest(f): 2:35pm On Aug 30, 2016
tunbebes:

I love you sis! May your brothers wife treat your mother well too. Amen.

Hmmmmn unfortunately I lost my mum in 2014 a few months after I got married.
But thank you for the kind wish
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by BumbleBee2ice(f): 2:39pm On Aug 30, 2016
DonFodio2:
why do you think she doesn't seem happy?
I wish i know my broda, bt this woman has openly challenged me on two diff occassions saying her son doesn't tell her things anymore, like where he was nd what he planned doing there. Hw's dat my fault pls?
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by lolamitayo: 2:52pm On Aug 30, 2016
There will always complain that is why the Bible admonishes us to live as husband and wife.
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Kaira333: 3:00pm On Aug 30, 2016
Seahawk:
The woman's mother didn't do all that for her daughter? Yet you will rarely see them coming to disturb the man that married their daughter. It's the men's mothers that don't know how to let go. If they really did all that for their sons with real love in their hearts, they will surely be happy to see him in love. Instead they keep doing their best to frustrate their daughters-in-law. I still wonder why they don't marry their sons so that peace will reign.

God punish your hand too. Marry your mother if she doesn't know her place in your life. Shameless women competing for wife position with their DILs. When her husband is at home and she should be there enjoying her old age with him. She's trotting up and down from one child's house to another.
My sister this thing tire me ooo. My mil came since March and said she won't go back to her hubby again dat people in naija are suffering. She will just be telling u do this do that as if u are a child. But I know how to deal with that. I don't send her, I do everything I want to do in my house, if she don't like it let her go home and stay with her hubby
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 30, 2016
She can stay a week max (per year)
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by BumbleBee2ice(f): 3:11pm On Aug 30, 2016
Seahawk:
She's such a pretender. She's secretly hoping your marriage won't work out. What kind of mother doesn't want her son happy with his wife except a certified witch. Dem plenty like that for Nigeria. Instead of them to marry their sons and spare some innocent girl the stress of the competition they feel they is happening when their sons marry other women.

Weird funny creatures.
A very pretentious being, anytime her son is around u will see her carrying d baby bt wen he's out if my baby makes a little fuss she'll call out 4 me to come nd carry my baby o (dats her word) witout her making any effort to reach out for d crying child, inspite her knowing im neck deep in work outside, i'll rush in to tend d baby. Even neighbors used to take chores from me so i can rest.
The funny tin is d baby is 2yrs old nw she wouldn't allow my MIL hold her even for few secs bt my mum who has neva slept in my home for a single night since i got married, my baby wil be crying after.
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by mikolo80: 3:45pm On Aug 30, 2016
Berbierklaus:
Depends on the type of mother-inlaw she is,some MIL are very accomodating and fun to be with,but some are just too strict and a pain in the neck.

If you ask me,I will appreciate the presence of my mother inlaw no matter the attitude she has,coz I have been trained to withstand situations like that.

PS. i'm not married,just thinking aloud grin
how old you be
Re: Married Couples: Are You Comfortable With Your Mother-In-Law Living With You? by mikolo80: 3:45pm On Aug 30, 2016
Berbierklaus:
Depends on the type of mother-inlaw she is,some MIL are very accomodating and fun to be with,but some are just too strict and a pain in the neck.

If you ask me,I will appreciate the presence of my mother inlaw no matter the attitude she has,coz I have been trained to withstand situations like that.

PS. i'm not married,just thinking aloud grin
how old are you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Helps His Brother In Giving Birth To 3 Kids With His Wife, While He's Away / Sallah: How Arewa Women Pampered Their Husbands With Money And Love / Pregnant Woman Climbs High Stool For Maternity Photoshoot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.