Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:41 AM

Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS (14691 Views)

Top Quality Smartphone Brands Nigerians Should Stop Neglecting.(photos) / 6 Reasons Nigerians Should Buy Android Phones / Nigerians To Pay 9% Tax On Calls, SMS, MMS, Data, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Standing5(m): 11:33am On Aug 27, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

I guess if oil prices go up, the taxes will go,and you would be singing PMB praises.

The simple fact is, we are an oil dependent nation. So long as the oil prices were high, we could afford not to tax everyone extra. We wasted the money we could have saved on corruption, and on deceiving Nigerians that we were prosperous. In reality, the basis of our wealth was false.

And the sooner we wake up to that fact and realize that there is no such thing as free lunch, the better.

We are going to have to walk a hard and arduous path to self reliance. I hope APC is interested in that path, beyond raising taxes...they have to fix the lights and end corruption.
If 20% of moròns parading this forum have the understanding of this post of yours and live with it Nigerians would be thanking Buhari now.
The govt has been subsidizing everything from oil, labour to dollar. Govt was the one sustaining the exchange rate of dollar at N165 by offering to sell dollar earned through oil at that rate for a long time. The govt could do that because there was excess earnings from oil benchmark. Nigerian will have to learn the hard way. We have beem sheilded by the school of "soft knocks" for too long it is tine for School of hardknocks to takeover.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Standing5(m): 11:35am On Aug 27, 2016
Quakertellicus1:

No.

The problem is that we used high oil prices to live a false life. Now the money is gone, and we have to tighten our belts.

The only issue now is whether the government is willing to tighten their belts too...and whether we are ready to do the hard work to become an industrial nation.....which is our only guaranteed path to prosperity.

This is not an excuse for APC.....but a call to action.
God bless you.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by armadeo(m): 12:00pm On Aug 27, 2016
UNA FADA.

why dont you collect it yourselves. they know how Nigerians would react so pass the ball to the service providers. i have already told DSTV any time the price goes up i would drop to the next level on their bouquets. this is the only one I can monitor the others i cant.

as for phone, sms and data service providers would hear it hot. i pity those customer care agents.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by feldido(m): 1:06pm On Aug 27, 2016
Uchefrancis16:

My friend sorry to be rude but you just talked without thinking. Tell me is it a crime to be rich? Will the rich die for the poor? Is it a crime to think and make money using ur initiative while others wile away their time, lazying around waiting for manner from above?

If you happen to earn that high, will you still support the 9% deduction u proposed above?

Stop thinking like a poor man. Think think and think at least God gave you that. You weren't born to be poor!

Not everyone will be rich, but the government can make it easy for the poor to still survive...

BTW, what makes you think you are rich? undecided
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by feldido(m): 1:09pm On Aug 27, 2016
Joarams:

While it's true that the gap btw the rich and the poor is still wide, I would disagree with you that it's a failure of tax law. Right now, there are a lot of people whose monthly tax bill is more than the monthly salaries of many average earners. Also, the poor don't have access to Internet as much and so would already be excluded from this proposed Bill. You and I who have these access should not always think of ourselves as poor even though some of us want to cry more than the bereaved. We must remember that we're part of the privileged few.

There must always be a balance in the society, government should know that taxing the poor to make the rich richer will result to revolution.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by dragonking3: 1:24pm On Aug 27, 2016
Ximenez:
Paying is not the problem, but the problem is that the government will eat up the money as usual. Ask GEJ what he did with the money gotten from oil subsidy removal, after delivering his speech on New year's day and promising to build new hospitals, create employment blah blah blah. It was after then some people died including a pregnant woman during a stampede in one immigration recruitment exercise. He failed and lost out, now another thief is on seat and you people don't know they are all the same, you come here and turn on one another everyday under the guise of PMB and GEJ camp, why they keep on having behind door meetings. The same thief who was your commissioner some years ago will become your governor and then end up in the Senate some years later and you are wondering why the country is not just stagnant but moving backward. I pray for you all to receive sense for the sake of your children.
Cant you people for once in your life comment without mentioning GEJ? gosh, this is really disgusting.

**spits**
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by moski5(m): 1:35pm On Aug 27, 2016
I've asked before n I'm asking again
HOW DO WE STOP THIS BILL FROM BEEN PASSED
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Nobody: 1:49pm On Aug 27, 2016
I think you are path of the 20% you just described. Tell me how much the government will realise from this proposed tax. By the way, what is wrong if the members of assembly slash their salaries by 50% and freeze all benefits they receive for the next two years. I can go on and on but peeps like you wont understand and not make the effort to understand. Keep suffering and smilling. E go better soon...oniranu!
Standing5:
If 20% of moròns parading this forum have the understanding of this post of yours and live with it Nigerians would be thanking Buhari now.
The govt has been subsidizing everything from oil, labour to dollar. Govt was the one sustaining the exchange rate of dollar at N165 by offering to sell dollar earned through oil at that rate for a long time. The govt could do that because there was excess earnings from oil benchmark. Nigerian will have to learn the hard way. We have beem sheilded by the school of "soft knocks" for too long it is tine for School of hardknocks to takeover.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Ferdinandu(m): 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2016
nedu2000:
Ben murray Bruce talk on the house,forget twitter/facebook at least you have sense small. My own senator repping my area is Andy ubah so I won't bother
That Useless family has colonised that Seat for long only using it to enrich themselves fraudulently, no meaningful contribution in Senate. Anambra South had to do something about that in next election. The rigging must stop.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Ximenez(m): 2:16pm On Aug 27, 2016
dragonking3:
Cant you people for once in your life comment without mentioning GEJ? gosh, this is really disgusting.

**spits**
is there anything i said up there that is not the truth? You might want to go back and listen or watch what he said he was going to do with the money gotten from the oil subsidy removal again. He did nothing, failed and lost. Buhari is writing his own story and prosperity will judge
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Nobody: 3:32pm On Aug 27, 2016
Tax! Tax!! Tax!!! Too many insatiable kleptos/criminals in govt!!!...IF MEN WERE GOD, THE POOR WILL PAY TO BREATHE!

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by dragonking3: 3:40pm On Aug 27, 2016
Ximenez:
is there anything i said up there that is not the truth? You might want to go back and listen or watch what he said he was going to do with the money gotten from the oil subsidy removal again. He did nothing, failed and lost. Buhari is writing his own story and prosperity will judge
Yes, he failed and lost yet you keep mentioning his name since over a year ago. Are you guys not ashamed? Can't you move on and let him be? Gosh!
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Ximenez(m): 4:03pm On Aug 27, 2016
dragonking3:
Yes, he failed and lost yet you keep mentioning his name since over a year ago. Are you guys not ashamed? Can't you move on and let him be? Gosh!
What are you talking about? this is a country with history, so references will always be made about him, so he can't be left alone, he left his own marks that can never be forgotten. Don't you think a lot of people owe their children the story of how Nigeria got to where it is today, please go and learn it, at least from Lord Lugard to the present day. It's now left for your audience to judge who made or marred Nigeria.
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by dragonking3: 4:21pm On Aug 27, 2016
Ximenez:
What are you talking about? this is a country with history, so references will always be made about him, so he can't be left alone, he left his own marks that can never be forgotten. Don't you think a lot of people owe their children the story of how Nigeria got to where it is today, please go and learn it, at least from Lord Lugard to the present day. It's now left for your audience to judge who made or marred Nigeria.
Abeg make we hear word. Reference point my foot. You guys have been making or using the same reference point for over a year now, sometimes you wonder if GEJ is still president. SMH. Everyday GEJ this GEJ that. Mtchhhhww
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Nobody: 5:36pm On Aug 27, 2016
Trendy247:
God punish Bahari n every oda persons dat sponsored d bill
was it buhari that the proposed bill? No. so why the insult in the first place? A bill being proposed doesn't mean it becomes a law. it follows different stages of reading before becoming a law and that's after the president assent to such bill. I remembered vividly when obj wanted to increase VAT to 10% but it didn't scale through
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Rayton(m): 7:55pm On Aug 27, 2016
It has gotten to a point when Nigerian Youths Ibo,Yoruba and Hausa will need to storm the streets demanding for either resignation from the president or Good governance..
We have people in the East not having access to good roads , West not having access to good health care and those from the North lacking Education yet we have had leaders from all these zones..
Its not about Political Party it is about what we can pass on to our unborn generation..
All these Men; OBJ , IBB , ATIKU , GEJ , DAVID MARK , BODE GEORGE , TINUBU , PMB , TY Danjuma , EL-Rufai , Ribadu E.T.C are all evil we need New breeds of Nigerian's to take over this Nation.

We can start a movement even on social media

#NigeriaMustWorkAgain#
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by CioAngels(f): 8:33pm On Aug 27, 2016
Just like the rich don't come out to vote but the poor, so also the rich don't pay tax but the poor are forced to pay the tax to cover the rich. Have you ever heard that all government establishments, Ministries, Parastatasls and all the military, Army, Airforce, Navy, Police and others pay Phcn bills? NO. The poor are forced to pay crazy bills to coverup what government is owing. Mr shittu is fast working on how to steal his own money before he leaves office so this tax has to be paid. Like as we are called, the ordinary Nigerians, for how long are we going to watch them continue to enslave, humiliate us this way?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by Rayton(m): 8:33pm On Aug 27, 2016
moski5:
I've asked before n I'm asking again

HOW DO WE STOP THIS BILL FROM BEEN PASSED

By using this forum and several other fora to champion our cause for Good Governance...
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by mikolo80: 12:31am On Aug 28, 2016
justicejay:
Tax tax tax at the long run only the poor will suffer for it. cry
This governmet should just create a bank account and inform the poor peole that after collecting your salary or wages just return it to this govt. Acct.
Clueless govt
this will make them vote with sense
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by mikolo80: 12:33am On Aug 28, 2016
Johnrake69:
It's rather unfortunate that we have a situation where the masses are the servant of their leaders. This is betrayal in the true sense of it. Well, it didn't start today, representative government has always been the worst form of dictatorship ever experienced by the human race because of the smoke screen it does present; giving the masses a false sense of stake in the society.

What stops the government from introducing property tax to check the ever widening gap between both the rich and the poor? Unless the Nigerian govt has always been about the rich. The collected tax will be used to provide for the luxurious lifestyle of our leaders. Like servicing the 7 private jets at the disposal of the president, the #1.7billion for food, while the rest goes to feed our already over feed National Assembly. And this is even coming at a point when economic activity is on the fall and stimulus packages should be on the roll out to get the economy working again. It's obvious we are not coming out of this recession anytime soon.

My Advice to the masses is to start lynching our politicians. Ex Gov of Rivers state Rotimi Amaechi once said that the reason they misbehave is because we do not stone them. And truly how hard can that be?

stone them and prepare to be teargassed or shot on sight
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by moski5(m): 5:19am On Aug 28, 2016
Rayton:

By using this forum and several other fora to champion our cause for Good Governance...

this forum doesn't encourage such ... my opinion n observation it appears the media is seriously censored
Re: Why Nigerians Should Pay 9% Tax For SMS, Data, MMS by lekebanko: 8:54am On Aug 28, 2016
This same govt which collects taxes on Radio and TV when I don't even own any now intends to pass this satanic and anti-youth bill into law. Quickly quoting Femi Kuti in his track titled "Sorry sorry", "... but with this kind of leaders Africa no get hope, Africans will suffer till the suffer reach our bone. I sorry sorry oh. I sorry for Nigeria. I sorry sorry oh...Egba MI oh!"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Iphone 11 Launch Date, Price And Pre-review / Free Credit Cheat: How To Get N3869.60 Airtime On Airtel Nigeria / #Ramadan: MTN Gives Out Free Foodstuffs, And Many Gifts (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.