Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:55 PM

Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React (21397 Views)

Benue State University Bans Thick Beard (Photo) / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) / Umar Musa University Bans Christian Gatherings Leaving Islamic Gathering Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Nobody: 2:02pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

Spoken like a true repressed, uninformed, unexposed, shackled, misinformed, Nigerian.

What do expect fron a country that still doesnt recognize Online degrees
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by MadCow1: 2:02pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

Obviously you are still unemployed, else you would not have said that.

Five years in an IOC and 1 year in a Company that services IOC's must count for some experience atleast.. grin

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by don174: 2:09pm On Aug 29, 2016
˙˙ʞɔɐq ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ
uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝןd noʎ uɐɔ
'noʎ uɹǝɔuoɔ ʇ,usǝop
ʇɐɥʇ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos pɐǝɹ oʇ
ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ ƃuıuɹnʇ uı
pǝpǝǝɔɔns ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ʇɐɥʇ ʍou
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2016
MadCow1:

Five years in an IOC and 1 year in a Company that services IOC's must count for some experience atleast.. grin

Lol. Now i understand. Germany. No wonder you have that perception. Working in a country that does not speak English as the primary means of communication does not count. Try that in a country that does and is dependent on clear and precise communication.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2016
Babzilla:

What do expect fron a country that still doesnt recognize Online degrees

Lol....Guy, you need to leave that country. You don't think like them.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Sijo01(f): 2:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
Standing5:
Why won't a uni ban phones that can easily distract them. It can aid evil communication, stalking, cultism, exam malpractice and more.

What you responded to was not a question but a statement that does not requires your response.........respond to the one that carries question mark.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by MadCow1: 2:18pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

Lol. Now i understand. Germany. No wonder you have that perception. Working in a country that does not speak English as the primary means of communication does not count. Try that in a country that does and is dependent on clear and precise communication.

Oga..

Communications (either literary and/or oral) skills are always a prerequisite for employment in any company. However, depending on the job description for which you are applying for, an error such as the one I made which you were so quick to pick on that has led us into this long drawn out exchange is definitely not enough to disqualify you especially if the job is an Engineering job (which is my career field).

And I don't remember telling you I was or worked in Germany.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by adekayo1234(m): 2:20pm On Aug 29, 2016
Standing5:
Why won't a uni ban phones that can easily distract them. It can aid evil communication, stalking, cultism, exam malpractice and more.
I guess you were born in the 70s. Some people would sha force you to lash them for their stupidity. Read what you wrote slowly and tell yourself I am a slowpoke

4 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 2:24pm On Aug 29, 2016
MadCow1:

Oga..

Communications (either literary and/or oral) skills are always a prerequisite for employment in any company. However, depending on the job description for which you are applying for, an error such as the one I made which you were so quick to pick on that has led us into this long drawn out exchange is definitely not enough to disqualify you especially if the job is an Engineering job (which is my career field).

And I don't remember telling you I was or worked in Germany.

I am multi tasking. An error based on communication is a serious one. If i wanted to hire to haul feaces, i wouldn't mind though. As an Engineer, i am shocked you don't understand this. One miscalculation or measurement is enough to disable, destroy, or decimate someone, a project or an entire country. All you had to do was acknowledge the error but you tried to make sense of it. I am not a mind reader. So don't assume i would know your meaning. How do i know that didn't actually mean what you wrote? You know what they say; Assumption is the mother of all phuck ups.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by MadCow1: 2:41pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

I am multi tasking. An error based on communication is a serious one. If i wanted to hire to haul feaces, i wouldn't mind though. As an Engineer, i am shocked you don't understand this. One miscalculation or measurement is enough to disable, destroy, or decimate someone, a project or an entire country. All you had to do was acknowledge the error but you tried to make sense of it. I am not a mind reader. So don't assume i would know your meaning. How do i know that didn't actually mean what you wrote? You know what they say; Assumption is the mother of all phuck ups.

I didn't at any point say I didn't make an error.. I only said 'at least you got the message'.

Calculation errors are different from Grammatical errors.. My only mistake which you have greatly exaggerated was not adding "ABU" in front of Ekiti.. But from the title of the thread, the subject matter of the thread, the fact that I compared it against another University in terms of University rankings, the reader would have to be remarkably daft not to get the message. Jus'Sayin..
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2016
MadCow1:

I didn't at any point say I didn't make an error.. I only said 'at least you got the message'.

Calculation errors are different from Grammatical errors.. My only mistake which you have greatly exaggerated was not adding "ABU" in front of Ekiti.. But from the title of the thread, the subject matter of the thread, the fact that I compared it against another University in terms of University rankings, the reader would have to be remarkably daft not to get the message. Jus'Sayin..

When you first tried to make sense of it you did not admit you made an error. If you had said what you just said, this conversation would be over a long time ago. Your argument until now was to try to belittle the importance of precise communication. And there is no difference between calculation errors and grammatical errors. How am i sure you will not try to assume i would understand the differences if presented with it. After i could have blown up a village by mistake, you would come at me with "you should have known what the calculations meant" or "i'm sure you got the message". Only a m.oron bereft of the importance of it thinks like that in today's world. Jus'sayin.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 29, 2016
brainpower:
I don't really blame these private schools for some of their rules. Even though know that as adults these rules aren't right, they are left with no choice we abuse most of these things in this country and without forcefully taking some of these privileges away from students their school ratings won't increase. Not that they aren't abused outside the country too, but over there, they have managed to increase their ratings without stopping these things.
It can't be just coincidence that the schools that have these rules are rated as the best Private universities e.g. Covenant. While igbinedion that has been there before all of them is still struggling to cope in ratings.

This is not to undermine any school, but to state facts.
For those that will site public universities, know that the rate of cultism and various vices are very high there.
And I actually graduated from a public university so I know what I'm saying.
What of the best schools in the world
How come these silly bams dont exist there yet our schools cant hold a candle to them
Please... we know the real problem affectingn ducation.. lets address it instead of looking for irrelevant stuff to yap abt
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 3:09pm On Aug 29, 2016
Babzilla:

What of the best schools in the world
How come these silly bams dont exist there yet our schools cant hold a candle to them
Please... we know the real problem affectingn ducation.. lets address it instead of looking for irrelevant stuff to yap abt

Bros. I beg, help me ask am again. I don't he got the message.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by MadCow1: 3:33pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

When you first tried to make sense of it you did not admit you made an error. If you had said what you just said, this conversation would be over a long time ago. Your argument until now was to try to belittle the importance of precise communication. And there is no difference between calculation errors and grammatical errors. How am i sure you will not try to assume i would understand the differences if presented with it. After i could have blown up a village by mistake, you would come at me with "you should have known what the calculations meant" or "i'm sure you got the message". Only a m.oron bereft of the importance of it thinks like that in today's world. Jus'sayin.

Lol..

Let's back track a bit..

You said I made an error.. I said but you still got the message..

You rhetorically said if I did that at an interview, I will get the job.. to which I responded "you will be surprised"..

You then said 'Anything is possible'.. To which I responded by saying 'a company that denies me a job because of the mistake I made in that post is not one I am interested in working for' unless 'IMPECCABLE GRAMMAR' was a prerequisite for getting the job...

You then said 'I was obviously unemployed for saying that'... To which I gave you a short summary of my employment history.

You then made a post about germany that I didnt understand to which I responded that depending on the job in question, communications skills may not be such a deal breaker to get the job especially if your are applying for an engineering job.

You then went on to talk about unless the job is for someone who disposes fecal matter, that's when you can waive communications skills and also went on to try comparing calculation and measurement errors to grammatical errors and how one miscalculation or wrong measurement can cause a nuclear holocaust (which is plausible). Then you talked about how you were not a mind reader and all that.. grin I responded by reminding you of the clear difference between Mathematical and English errors.. I went on to tell you how it would come as a shock to me if you despite my MINOR error you didn't get the message I was trying to pass across.

That is the summary of how we arrived here.

Your entire problem was just to hear me admit I made an error.. grin Well I never said I didn't..

You said what if you took my post as it was (literally).. That would surprise the hell out of me especially as a combination of the subject of the thread, the content of my post and all would have given anybody with even a half decent education an idea of what I was trying to say.

Your latest retort is even more ridiculous. Precise communication is not a deal breaker for most jobs and that's a FACT that you are trying to argue with.

Mathematical errors and Grammatical errors are not the same no matter how hard you try to force them to be the same. Incase you have forgotten, Maths deals with numbers, English deals with alphabets.. grin

If you can't tell the difference between a grammatical error and a calculation error then you have no business even being in a position to be making any type of decision in any company.

No point throwing shades, its petty..

Thanks for stopping by..

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Nobody: 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

Lol....Guy, you need to leave that country. You don't think like them.
Oga Im working on it
Before I was telling myself that tgis is the only place but now I know better

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by madgoat(m): 3:45pm On Aug 29, 2016
finalboss:
In a new notice released on the 28th of August 2016 via the website of Afe Babalola University, fresh and returning undergraduate students for the 2016/2017 Academic session were briefed on new rules, including the ban on smartphones. In their words,

"Mobile Phone ; The University would allow students to use telephone but limited to non-smartphones. Any TELEPHONE aside the University’s specification, inclusive of TABLETS or IPADS shall be CONFISCATED and the Student shall be SANCTIONED"

Twitter Users (some students) however
expressed displeasure.

Glorified secondary school grin
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 3:53pm On Aug 29, 2016
MadCow1:

Lol..

Let's back track a bit..

You said I made an error.. I said but you still got the message..

You rhetorically said if I did that at an interview, I will get the job.. to which I responded "you will be surprised"..

You then said 'Anything is possible'.. To which I responded by saying 'a company that denies me a job because of the mistake I made in that post is not one I am interested in working for' unless 'IMPECCABLE GRAMMAR' was a prerequisite for getting the job...

You then said 'I was obviously unemployed for saying that'... To which I gave you a short summary of my employment history.

You then made a post about germany that I didnt understand to which I responded that depending on the job in question, communications skills may not be such a deal breaker to get the job especially if your are applying for an engineering job.

You then went on to talk about unless the job is for someone who disposes fecal matter, that's when you can waive communications skills and also went on to try comparing calculation and measurement errors to grammatical errors and how one miscalculation or wrong measurement can cause a nuclear holocaust (which is plausible). Then you talked about how you were not a mind reader and all that.. grin I responded by reminding you of the clear difference between Mathematical and English errors.. I went on to tell you how it would come as a shock to me if you despite my MINOR error you didn't get the message I was trying to pass across.

That is the summary of how we arrived here.

Your entire problem was just to hear me admit I made an error.. Which was glaring.

You sia dwhat if you took my post as it was.. That would surprise the hall out of me especially as the subject of the thread, the content of my post and all would have given anybody with even a half decent education an idea of what I was trying to say.

Your latest retort is even more ridiculous. Precise communication is not a deal breaker for most jobs and that's a FACT that you are trying to argue with.

Mathematical errors and Grammatical errors are not the same no matter how hard you try to force them to be the same. Incase you have forgotten, Maths deals with numbers, English deals with alphabets.. grin

If you can't tell the difference between a grammatical error and a calculation error then you have no business even being in a position to be making any type of decision in any company.

No point throwing shades, its petty..

Thanks for stopping by..

I thought communication was your only problem. I now see it's two fold. There is also comprehension to factor in. I think that is the genesis of the whole issue. I believe there is a disconnect between the two for you. You talk about throwing insults and it being petty but forget that you said this, "the reader would have to be remarkably daft not to get the message. Jus'Sayin..". While addressing me. I honestly don't think you factor in the weight of your utterances before making them which is where all this started from. Here's a trick to help you out. After writing anything, go back and read it from the beginning and ask yourself if that is the message you want to convey. Then count to ten. Then click submit. You can thank me later. Or now. Or whichever works for you.

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by pippimp(m): 3:59pm On Aug 29, 2016
Babzilla:

Oga Im working on it
Before I was telling myself that tgis is the only place but now I know better

Find out if the visa lottery is still on. That shiit actually works. It's been almost 20 years i've had anything to do with it. I've won it twice. So have two of my brothers. Just remember it is not a 100 meter dash. It is a marathon. Take it one step at a time.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by adimsmt: 4:02pm On Aug 29, 2016
finalboss:
In a new notice released on the 28th of August 2016 via the website of Afe Babalola University, fresh and returning undergraduate students for the 2016/2017 Academic session were briefed on new rules, including the ban on smartphones. In their words,

"Mobile Phone ; The University would allow students to use telephone but limited to non-smartphones. Any TELEPHONE aside the University’s specification, inclusive of TABLETS or IPADS shall be CONFISCATED and the Student shall be SANCTIONED"

Twitter Users (some students) however
expressed displeasure.

What kind of brain do our so called leaders have, why backward .

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Olalekanbanky1(m): 4:06pm On Aug 29, 2016
Nawa ooo. Another tedious work added for porters and security personnels.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by ceda99: 4:15pm On Aug 29, 2016
Glorified primary school
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Nobody: 4:25pm On Aug 29, 2016
pippimp:

Find out if the visa lottery is still on. That shiit actually works. It's been almost 20 years i've had anything to do with it. I've won it twice. So have two of my brothers. Just remember it is not a 100 meter dash. It is a marathon. Take it one step at a time.
Ill.look into it. Thanks bro
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by acada111(f): 5:05pm On Aug 29, 2016
Ajibel:
How does a ban on smartphones affect the student's attitude towards their studies positively?

A serious student with or without a smartphone would excel.

Are you serious?
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Ajibel(m): 5:07pm On Aug 29, 2016
acada111:

Are you serious?

About what ma'am
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by AmbodOfLASU: 5:19pm On Aug 29, 2016
ehissi:

Taaaaaaa!!! Park well. angry
How can UNIBEN ever be the worst University in west africa when OAU, OOU, LASU and ABUAD is there!!? undecided

Fear God Ooooooh!!!!!

Why do u categorize LASU in such defamatory group?
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by PropertyDen(m): 5:37pm On Aug 29, 2016
When u read the utterances of our generation, it just ooze out so much how gullible our generation will be.. People don't even read details. Just headline, then start drinking milk on it. Just read full details b4 u comment ya'll, would you?
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by misterh(m): 6:52pm On Aug 29, 2016
Ajibel:

About what ma'am
Why aren't people getting your original post? I'm shocked. Most of them have attacked you, even though you are saying the same thing.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by NemzySeries(m): 8:05pm On Aug 29, 2016
TankGod I left b4 all dis wahala
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by omari5(f): 8:40pm On Aug 29, 2016
Ajibel:

Thanks. Now please educate me because I want to be better informed.
Fyi,smartphones are used for assignment purposes, keep up with what is happening in the world, for entertainment because you can't be serious 24 hours, you nid leisure time... not everyone has a laptop and phones are more portable. The list goes on bro, ryt now we are in a technology age and banning of phones will be like turning back the hands of time to the stone age of our ancestors.
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by omari5(f): 8:42pm On Aug 29, 2016
NemzySeries:
TankGod I left b4 all dis wahala
eh...announce to the whole world that you are an ex abuad student..mayb we shud fly grin
Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by Marrtynze(m): 8:46pm On Aug 29, 2016
They should just ban them from coming to school already

Re: Afe Babalola University Bans Smartphones On Campus, Twitter Users React by omari5(f): 8:54pm On Aug 29, 2016
adekayo1234:
I guess you were born in the 70s. Some people would sha force you to lash them for their stupidity. Read what you wrote slowly and tell yourself I am a slowpoke
wow...guy you are wicked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNIJOS Erroneously Awards First Class Degrees To Law Graduands / Jamb Cut Off Mark / Top Questions About Postgraduate Study In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.