Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,797 members, 7,810,074 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:05 PM

6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search (8136 Views)

These 6 Tips Will Help You Get An Ideal Job In 2018 / Avoid These Job Search Mistakes!!! / Understanding Timing In Job Search In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 6:32am On Sep 01, 2016
Several months have passed by since you lost your last gig. Dragged down by countless hours of searching, a series of fruitless interviews, and troubling news about the stagnant job market, you’re starting to have nightmares about a scarlet letter “U” (for “unemployable”) being branded across your dusty CV. One rejection letter away from throwing in the towel, you bury your face in your pillow and wonder aloud why no one will give you a chance. The answer may lie in you. Any good salesperson will tell you that people buy from people they like. Similarly, employers give jobs to people they like. Of course, you must have the skills and experience as well, but when two or more candidates rank equally, the job is more likely to go to the person who formed the best relationship with the potential employer. I know how it feels when you’ve given the job hunt your all and employers just don’t seem to care. Don’t be discouraged, though, here are few key steps on how to stay upbeat in your job search.

BE POSITIVE AND ENGAGING AT ALL TIME

To stay upbeat in a job search, you need to be positive and engaging, which can be hard when you’re weighed down by the burden of unemployment. Being positive is a vital pre-condition for your job search: if you feel negative or unenthusiastic, it could come across when you meet people, and they won’t bury you. So it is advisable to remain focus, positive and engaging at all time irrespective of the challenge.

REMEMBER YOU’RE NOT ALONE

While you don’t want to overburden them with your troubles, don’t forget that your family and friends are there for you when you need them. Don’t hesitate to pick up the phone-a soothing call with someone you love and trust can do wonders for your flagging confidence. In this tough economic climate, also take solace in the fact that there are plenty of others out there just like you who are looking for a shoulder to lean on. Try consulting an online job seekers’ forum for a dose of anonymous support or perhaps join a group in your city targeted at fellow unemployed folks.

SET REASONABLE GOALS

At the start of each week, make a list of specific, manageable goals that you would like to achieve. Perhaps you’d like to write five cover letters that week, or go to three job fairs. By focusing on small, achievable goals, you will feel more accomplished throughout your job search.

SEE EVERYTHING AS AN OPPORTUNITY

It’s easy to become tired of writing cover letters, going to interviews and networking. However, try to think of each activity as an opportunity that will only make you a better job candidate. If you’re interviewing for a job you don’t think you really want (or don’t think you will get), try to think of the interview as a chance to network and work on your interview skills. Think of each cover letter as the chance to hone your writing and editing abilities. Simply thinking of tasks as opportunities rather than chores will put you in a positive market.

DO SOME EXERCISE

Any form of physical exercise of relaxation technique gives you an immediate shot of endorphins (the so-called “happy hormones”). It doesn’t matter what it is- a 20-minutes walk, a quick run, a game of tennis, some yoga, or simply 60 seconds of deep breathing. Try and do something on a regular basis.

COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS

Lastly, there are 6.8 billion people living on this planet. And I’m pretty confident that most people reading this article are likely to be in the top 5 percent of that population in terms of material wealth, health, living conditions, opportunities and education. There are many people who would love to be in your shoes and have the “problems” you’ve got. So try to keep a perspective on things.

Source: https://patrickokunima.com/2016/09/01/how-to-stay-upbeat-in-a-job-search-a-must-read/

Was it helpful? Let's have your comments.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 10:55am On Sep 02, 2016
Was it helpful?
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by addictedwriter(m): 11:22am On Sep 02, 2016
I find this really inspiring, I often think about quitting job seeking after countless unfruitful interviews, when those who you are close to are far ahead. Its really depressing when you have the skill and passion to add to organisational values but no look in one's direction. God help us job seekers. Thanks mr Patrick....really relieved.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 4:22pm On Sep 02, 2016
You're welcome.
addictedwriter:
I find this really inspiring, I often think about quitting job seeking after countless unfruitful interviews, when those who you are close to are far ahead. Its really depressing when you have the skill and passion to add to organisational values but no look in one's direction. God help us job seekers. Thanks mr Patrick....really relieved.
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 3:42pm On Sep 03, 2016
No more comments?
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by Sharon6(f): 7:05am On Sep 04, 2016
Nice tips.

GIVE YOUR SKIN A TREAT! CHECK MY SIGNATURE!
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by beautiful232(f): 7:08am On Sep 04, 2016
I like.....Nice one
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by lawson06(m): 7:11am On Sep 04, 2016
Yea not giving up thou
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by Kbraims(m): 7:13am On Sep 04, 2016
Qualificatn don giv job in naija...jst pray to b amng d lucky once...speakn frm wat hav seen

5 Likes

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by cole265(m): 7:18am On Sep 04, 2016
God have mercy please.... angry
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by weblord1900: 7:22am On Sep 04, 2016
abi
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by Origin(f): 7:35am On Sep 04, 2016
U need a friend in this trying times. Just buy one male and two to three female rabbits. They should keep you company.
By the time they give birth you are in business.

Goats, dogs, pigs,chicken, turkey can also be used.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by geodemainguy(m): 7:38am On Sep 04, 2016
Mr Patrick! How long will you get back to us after given us less than 2hours to write a well researched article which you termed as "test" (a criterion for selection as a Prolific writer). If only you know what I passed through in writing and typing the article, then your conscience will draw you to explain things to me or perhaps to us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by ibiboatais(m): 10:23am On Sep 04, 2016
Nice one. But the second point, I quite disagreein the sense that it may create room for laziness. Also you may start measuring your progress with that of people in the same level as you.
Finally the permanent solution is by activating your creative genius to in order to be a job creator rather than a job seeker. Kindly visit successvista.org to get exciting tips that would make you more valuable.
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by drstainlex: 12:09pm On Sep 04, 2016
Gh
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by dammizz(m): 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2016
Also, ask God for favour as you search. There's a great job out there that needs your professional skills
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by Nobody: 5:24pm On Sep 04, 2016
Have tried all this without success
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by Thobiy(m): 6:08pm On Sep 04, 2016
Nice tip
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by Thobiy(m): 6:08pm On Sep 04, 2016
Nice tips
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by palladin: 7:40pm On Sep 04, 2016
Good
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 5:19pm On Sep 27, 2016
Thanks.
Thobiy:
Nice tips
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 9:10pm On Sep 19, 2017
Merci.
beautiful232:
I like.....Nice one
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by beautiful232(f): 9:23pm On Sep 19, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
Merci.

johnci cheesy
PatrickOkunima:
Merci.

johnci
Re: 6 Tips To Help You Stay Upbeat In A Job Search by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:26pm On Jan 22, 2018
beautiful232:
I like.....Nice one
Thank you.

(1) (Reply)

State Civil Service Recruitment / How Many Months Is The FRSC Camp And Their Renumeration? / Npower Kwara Let's Meet Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.