Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Zambian Author On Nigeria 419 Scams Robs Banks (irony) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Zambian Author On Nigeria 419 Scams Robs Banks (irony) (713 Views)

Audu’s Death, Faleke’s Legal Significance & Why The Law Cannot author Confusion / Ex-Zambian President Arrested For Nigerian Oil Deals / Driver Robs Senator Edoghie Uzamere At Gunpoint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Zambian Author On Nigeria 419 Scams Robs Banks (irony) by Ndipe(m): 7:28pm On Oct 05, 2009
Cops: African Terror Kills Single Mom In Fit Of Jealous Rage
North Miami Beach detective Tracy Lystad calls it The Nightmare After Christmas.

Otneil Sanon, 4, and Tiatiana Paul, 14, had just spent Christmas with their mother, Coty Paul.  The young family didn't have much that year, but Coty loved her kids more than anything and was a religious woman.

The very next day, Coty was in a neighbor's apartment, watching her favorite preacher on television.

Police say while watching the show, Coty's boyfriend, Abraham Mpaka, came into the neighbor's home and tried to talk to Coty, who was engrossed in the sermon.

A witness said the next thing she knew, Mpaka was standing over Coty, pulling a large knife out of her chest.

Mpaka then fled the scene. The witness, who only speaks Creole, ran out of the house and got Coty's daughter, Tatiana.  The 14-year-old girl called 9-1-1 and was trying to save her dying mother's life, applying pressure to the wound.

But before Coty could reach the hospital, she was dead, leaving her teenage daughter and young son without a mother.

"It was just an awful scene for the mother and her two children," Det. Lystad said.

Mpaka has made claims that he is a doctor, an FBI agent, and has attended the prestigious Université de Paris.
A Brutal Murder, With A Surprising Twist
As North Miami Beach Police detectives began investigating the case, Det. Lystad thought it was "an open-and-shut case."

But within hours, she learned about Mpaka's sordid story, and realized the case wasn't going to be so easy.

Police learned that Mpaka had robbed a bank in Adventura, in South Florida on December 10, 2008, just two weeks before the murder.

They said, Mpaka, wearing phony reading glasses and a brown baseball cap, entered the bank and gave a teller a note stating, "I have a grenade, if you scream you're dead, give me $3,500."

Detectives say a witness got the license plate number from his car and tracked Mpaka down. He was arrested the next day, and told detectives he needed the cash to pay for his mother's funeral in Africa.

Cops believe he paid his rent, and Coty's as well.

A week later, Coty bailed him out; it's a decision her family regrets she made.

As Lystad dug deeper into Mpaka's past, she learned that he had allegedly vandalized Coty's car to make it look like another neighbor had done it.

Friends told police that Mpaka was extremely jealous, and was often possessive of Coty.  Following the vandalism, police say Mpaka allegedly set her car on fire while she was out of town visiting a relative.

Friends said that Coty had tried to break up with Mpaka, but wasn't able to get him to let go.

Det. Lystad said she doesn't think Coty feared Mpaka, but just wanted to separate from him.

"I don't know exactly what the motive was in her murder," she says, "but it could have been Mpaka caught on that she was trying to break up with him."

Lystad also uncovered that Mpaka authored his own autobiography, "The Nigerian 419 Scams: A Disgrace to Western Civilization."

In the book, he claims he was a victim of a Nigerian scam and left the country out of fear.

Mpaka has made claims that he is a doctor, an FBI agent, and has attended the prestigious Université de Paris. Det. Lystad is sorting through the claims trying to determine what is fact, and what is fiction.

One thing Lystad does know is that she is going to get justice for the little boy and the teenage girl who have been left without a mother.

"It's heartbreaking that I don't have this guy in custody yet," she said. "But, I will."

"This was a cold, calculated murder and I need to stop him and make him pay for his crime," Lystad said.

http://www.flipkart.com/nigerian-419-scams-disgrace-western/1425792359-jox3fwofqd

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/case.cfm?id=62452
Re: Zambian Author On Nigeria 419 Scams Robs Banks (irony) by keta11(m): 8:59pm On Oct 05, 2009
I saw that on the AMW show on Saturday night. Very funny, hope they catch up with him very soon.

(1) (Reply)

The 10 Worst Cities For Pickpockects! / 2011: Alao-akala Has Not Provided Desired Leadership For Oyo Pdp, Says Senate Le / Yar Adua Is Back Oooo:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.