Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,256 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:52 AM

Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) (7353 Views)

Southwest Vs Southeast Poverty Rates from UNDP: A Critical Analysis. / Presidential Inauguration And Swearing-in Thread Live From the Eagle Square / Nigeria Ranked Worst Place To Be Born In 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by amor4ce(m): 7:23am On Oct 06, 2009
Na wah o! this is the latest from the Human Development Reports of the UNDP. Naija almost categorized among the countries with low human development. You can check this out for yourselves at

http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_NGA.html

I would have posted pictures and data here but the files are larger than the nairaland limits.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sjeezy8: 7:34am On Oct 06, 2009
Lol HDI performed by non africans makes no sense.

By going according to western developments, we are thinking just as Dumb as Nigerian leaders, like odes.

Which is a better place to live a farm in Nigeria, where you work and feed yourself off of what you grow or Yankee where you work and dont own anything because you need credit and to have credit you need some type of debt?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by amor4ce(m): 7:51am On Oct 06, 2009
well, I just left naija and never fell for a credit card, only card I used was debit. Now in the US i still will not use a credit card. And how many farmers in naija have "nice" living standards. Even if the statistics were prepared in yankee, they still should not be ignored in totality. I am not bothered about whether or not there was comparison with western developments. What about UAE, Japan, Australia,Ukraine, and their average living standards?. As for me I ask questions and hope we do things for ourselves like

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8257153.stm

instead of waiting for government to provide, and I also came here to further develop self and translate that to something beneficial for beloved naija.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sjeezy8: 8:05am On Oct 06, 2009
do you own a house yet? because one needs credit, some type of credit card or interest payments are needed buy one.= debt of some type.

Im not saying Nigerias farmers are the best, im saying Nigeria needs to go at its own pace. Studies like these are one of the reason the stupid Nigerian Government keeps borrowing money increasing debt and not putting money towards industrializing. They shouldnt be ignored but viewed as a method for the UN, USAID,WORLD BANK, ect  . . . . . to exploit the stupidness of Nigerians. Studies like this are used by UN, USAID,WORLD BANK, ect, to promote the need for Nigerians to go along with Millennium Development Goals. which further increases debt

We have to start and see these studies for what they are used for Anti-african development. If obj or yarudua are presented with these studies they will want to borrow more money or sell Nigeria to the chinese to develop it.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Gbawe: 8:58am On Oct 06, 2009
sjeezy8:

do you own a house yet? because one needs credit, some type of credit card or interest payments are needed buy one.= debt of some type.
Im not saying Nigerias farmers are the best, im saying Nigeria needs to go at its own pace. Studies like these are one of the reason the stupid Nigerian Government keeps borrowing money increasing debt and not putting money towards industrializing. They shouldnt be ignored but viewed as a method for the UN, USAID,WORLD BANK, ect  . . . . . to exploit the stupidness of Nigerians. Studies like this are used by UN, USAID,WORLD BANK, ect, to promote the need for Nigerians to go along with Millennium Development Goals. which further increases debt

We have to start and see these studies for what they are used for Anti-african development. If obj or yarudua are presented with these studies they will want to borrow more money or sell Nigeria to the chinese to develop it.

My guy , while I agree with you to an extent about how these polls sometimes skew the big picture , I think that we should not feel duty bound to defend our situation by praising a negative thing (lack of credit) that has become commonplace due to misgovernance and lack of vision. Financial credit , if disbursed and utilised reasonably , is never a bad thing. 

Some of modern life's essentials (a car, a house , home appliances, education, setting up a small business ,etc ) cost more than most can afford. Egalitarian societies understand the usefulness of credit in ensuring that most citizens (and not just the very rich as is the case in Nigeria) can afford things that make their lives productive and fulfilled thereby ensuring that their existence benefits , rather than burden , the nation at large.

It is wrong to make out as if those who do not take credit are better than those who do. If you are responsible with credit you can utilise it to build subtantial wealth and security . In any case , lack of utilisation of credit in Nigeria is not out of choice. Nigerians in Nigeria are simply not offered credit favourably.

Yes Nigeria need to "go at its own pace" but that pace becomes snail-like when , for example , an ambitious Nigerian , wishing to start a business, has to resort to seeking capital from friends and family rather than being able to take advantage of credit from financial institutions. SME's (small to medium enterprises) are the backbone of most nations wealth creation and job provision . The Nigerian SME sector , in a very poor state righ now , would recieve an unbelievable boost if favourable credit is made available to budding enterpreneurs.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sjeezy8: 9:17am On Oct 06, 2009
Yea i concur, i was only stating as of right now, If the FG were to change its terrible policies for progress, it would do so going by a pace for Nigeria and not at the pace of Western countries. Nigeria is lagging no doubt, but far ahead of other African countries, if they were to use these studies as future goals and not as the need to borrow money for development Nigeria will progress even faster.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by candylips(m): 12:14pm On Oct 06, 2009
credit is good but too much credit is bad and evil
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Beaf: 12:34pm On Oct 06, 2009
The country is in deep trouble. Life is brutish for the poor.
Forget about credit, we don't have that only because there are no financial instruments or instituitions. Everything is in chaos.
Manageable credit is a very enabling thing.

As for our poverty index. . . It is bloody shocking!

Confusion, chaos, wikedness, corruption, theft. . . Yeah, life is cheap in 9ja.

Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by ikeyman00(m): 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2009
haa
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sleekymag(m): 3:15pm On Oct 06, 2009
Sure Vision 20-20 is a mirage, if we can b number 158 at 2009, It's virtually impossible to be in d top 20 by year 2020, when d list shows that the first 38 countries are even developed countries (very high HDI), Naija has a long, long, way to go. Mayb our leaders should be more realistic intheir goals, How bout a Vision 50-50?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by ThinkRait: 3:23pm On Oct 06, 2009
sleekymag:

Sure Vision 20-20 is a mirage, if we can b number 158 at 2009, It's virtually impossible to be in d top 20 by year 2020, when d list shows that the first 38 countries are even developed countries (very high HDI), Naija has a long, long, way to go. Mayb our leaders should be more realistic intheir goals, How bout a Vision 50-50?

I dont quite agree with the above comment.
Human Development Index is not all about economic development.
Development is a moving target. It is a continous process.

We are all aware that Nigeris's seeming lack of development is a direct result of our pro-corruption disposition. If we can tackle corruption even for one year, Nigeria will leap from 158 to 100.
Our resources- human and natural- is larger than that of more than 30 African countries put together. Our economy can be the same.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bawomolo(m): 3:27pm On Oct 06, 2009
www.nairaland.com/attachments/186263_busConductor_jpg08c7bc800e5cb2a690682e3501924a14

smh

it's funny a country recovering from war like uganda is ahead of naija. that says a lot.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sleekymag(m): 4:07pm On Oct 06, 2009
ThinkRait:

I dont quite agree with the above comment.
Human Development Index is not all about economic development.
Development is a moving target. It is a continous process.

We are all aware that Nigeris's seeming lack of development is a direct result of our pro-corruption disposition. If we can tackle corruption even for one year, Nigeria will leap from 158 to 100.
Our resources- human and natural- is larger than that of more than 30 African countries put together. Our economy can be the same.

Economic development is also an integral factor in arriving at the Human Development Index. Standard of living, literacy, education, the well-being of the citizenry, GDP and the impact of economic policies on the quality of life all count in measuring the HDI, And the HDI is used to distunguish whether a country is a developed, developing or an under-developed country, Let's be realistic and tell ourselves the truth, Nigeria has a long way to go,
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sleekymag(m): 4:12pm On Oct 06, 2009
We've been trying to tackle corruption for how many years now, and what's the result been?
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bidemi12(m): 4:40pm On Oct 06, 2009
@Gbawe   you too much joo. Wait, did i just agree with you on something? wonders will never end. Anyway you were right on point. The issue of credit as far as i am a concerned is a very delicate matter. I see a lot of Nigerians here who have been trapped by it, bringing in the owanbe mentality and living the whole of tomorrow today. Credit is a wondeful tool for success if you are responsible and somewhat business savvy, but sadly we have a culture for extranvagance.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by yeswecan(m): 10:07pm On Oct 06, 2009
God help us ooooooo
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Sauron1: 10:12pm On Oct 06, 2009
amor4ce:

Na wah o! this is the latest from the Human Development Reports of the UNDP. Naija almost categorized among the countries with low human development. You can check this out for yourselves at

http://hdr.undp.org/en/statistics/

http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/country_fact_sheets/cty_fs_NGA.html

I would have posted pictures and data here but the files are larger than the nairaland limits.

I am surprised we are 158th.
It shoulda been 1,158th.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by tunyus(m): 10:32pm On Oct 06, 2009
NAIJA is finished
God save us
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by r231(m): 10:37pm On Oct 06, 2009
na wa o
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Rooneyboy(m): 10:44pm On Oct 06, 2009
When i c D present day Nigeria i usually become scared and demoralised ,this leaves me with one question on my mind (what does the future have for me in this country)?On so many occassions i ve contemplated travelling out of the country 4 good but get to realise in no time that travelling out wouldnt solve the problem rather piles it up 4 (us) the leaders of tomorrow.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bidemi12(m): 11:08pm On Oct 06, 2009
@roonyboy Ol'boy if you have the opportunity and the right papers you better go. Go and take advantage of what the western world can/will offer and come back at a later date to utilise what you have gained. Nowadays Nigeria is for the rich or for those with international connections. Truth is bitter.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sley4life(m): 11:24pm On Oct 06, 2009
una see say 9ja dey like carry first for -ve things
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Fhemmmy: 11:41pm On Oct 06, 2009
Nigeria is bad, but still better than some others.
India is just as terrible as Nigeria.
However, with lil changes, Nigeria could be a heaven on earth
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by whiteroses(f): 11:51pm On Oct 06, 2009
if naija is worst 25th i wonder what portugal is lol but whats the point of the research gan na? perhaps another bored organization updating their status & validation abeg free us jor
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Fhemmmy: 11:54pm On Oct 06, 2009
whiteroses:

if naija is worst 25th i wonder what portugal is lol but whats the point of the research gan na? perhaps another bored organization updating their status & validation abeg free us jor

hahahahahaha.
Most of the places that has been said to be best to live, i am sure per capital is what made them aiight, and yet there will be some people there, that are dying to jet out of there to a "greener" pastures.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by sley4life(m): 1:22am On Oct 07, 2009
lets keep praying for our country 2 be better so we can live in it
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Nobody: 1:48am On Oct 07, 2009
Roflmao!!!
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Fhemmmy: 1:51am On Oct 07, 2009
sley4life:

lets keep praying for our country 2 be better so we can live in it

prayer without works is dead, so we can pray all we want, till we make a move, nothing can happen, \God will only send people like me and you to help our own nation.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by moreshow(m): 2:15am On Oct 07, 2009
But se na like this we go dey dey

Is there hope for the youths in the nearest future?

Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by whiteroses(f): 2:27am On Oct 07, 2009
omg look at that somebody catch that woman isnt that bus moving? and that is somebodys mama tut tut
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by Fhemmmy: 2:38am On Oct 07, 2009
India is just as worse.
I am not supporting our lack of growth oh.
Re: Nigeria: 158th Best Place To Live Or 25th Worst Place To Live (from Undp) by bidemi12(m): 2:48am On Oct 07, 2009
it is better to critisize the bad aspects of Nigeria than compare her to other countries that are messed up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Phcn System Collapse Plunges Country Into Darkness / There Is No Comparison Between Mend And Boko Haram / Nigerians Will Now Know Who Tinubu Is

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.